Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Clearly, all this time, Dave has been giving Karkat tips on how to court Dirk. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

WAR FOOT posted:

Clearly, all this time, Dave has been giving Karkat tips on how to court Dirk. :v:

That would be the funniest possible outcome here besides a polyandrous relationship involving Dave, Karkat, and the Mayor.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Dave posted:

DAVE: vriska was most certainly alive during this one
DAVE: like almost
DAVE: extra-alive, if thats possible

That sounds ominous.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, when did Dave admit that Bro was an horrible parent?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, when did Dave admit that Bro was an horrible parent?

DAVE: i never even stopped and thought about it before
DAVE: the idea of what it would be like to have a mom
DAVE: instead of a hyper-aggressive lunatic of an adult male guardian

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Any day where fictional characters deconstruct hegemonic masculinity at length to the end of understanding and eradicating homophobia is a good day.

Also, waiting until Sunday for the Roxy/Rose/Kanaya conversation will be unpleasant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

forever

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's much better than that. Dave has accepted that Bro was a horrible parent, that Bro was a horrible role model, and that Dave gets to make up his own definition of (A) being a man and (B) being a hero. I thought at the beginning of the 4/22 updates that Dave had just given up on heroing; it's looking like, in fact, Dave gave up on being other people's definition of a hero and began creating his own.

This owns because from what we know of Dirk, he was always going to do the things that seemed so masculine about Bro (really good at fighting, lovely swords, being a 90s coolkid, constant ironic detachment from emotion and at times reality) but these things don't change the fact that he's also extremely gay.

Zoe posted:

So through all those :words: I was just sitting there going drat Dave just get to the point just tell him you're gay. But then he says he isn't gay?

The entire point is that gay doesn't mean anything and we've been programmed to think about sexuality and romance in very specific ways. Gay doesn't really mean anything when you're on a spaceship with a bunch of members of an alien race and your sister, and the thought process that he's trying to get out is that maybe it never did because the only thing keeping us acting how we act is history and tradition.

Fister Roboto posted:

OK I am definitely not reading all these god drat words about inconsequential tumblr bullshit. Jesus loving christ Hussie.

lmao why/how do you even read this if you're not insanely into gay shipping or whatever

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So this was fun and all, but mostly it just put me in mind of a much funnier John/Dave/Karkat chat from the days of yore.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This update was pure strain gold. I love it. I especially love the meandering, self-questioning Dave we've been seeing since the meteor journey began turning his rambling thoughtfulness towards a productive end and actually seeming to make a lot of progress on himself. That's character development!

I also forgot how much I loved John talking to people on a less urgent basis. Dude is funny.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Autonomous Monster posted:

So this was fun and all, but mostly it just put me in mind of a much funnier John/Dave/Karkat chat from the days of yore.

It's not really fair to compare any log to this one, as it's one of the best in the comic.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, this update was great. Aranea really nailed Dave and Karkat and made them hilarious, insightful and mature. I hope she's as good at mind controlling all the other characters too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not gonna lie I skipped over most of Dave's gender studies class

Man, though, Karkat can dish it out but he sure can't take it w/r/t personal discussions

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

loquacius posted:

Not gonna lie I skipped over most of Dave's gender studies class

It just wasn't the same after you figured out you couldn't pick up hot girls there.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Professor Strider's Gender and Sexuality Class
All papers are due in the form of dope raps

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AriadneThread posted:

Professor Strider's Gender and Sexuality Class
All papers are due in the form of dope raps

My doctoral thesis will be 15 minutes of beatboxing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Who What Now posted:

My doctoral thesis will be 15 minutes of beatboxing.

Dr. Karkat will be evaluating your orals.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It just wasn't the same after you figured out you couldn't pick up hot girls there.

I didn't really fit in, the rest of the class was all time-traveling Daves

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think my favorite part of that conversation is when is Karkat hanging off the platform, until he hears John bring up his hangup with Terezi. Because I got the most vivid mental image of Karkat sitting back up onto the platform and beginning to lecture John in a single, smooth motion, like a cat springing on its prey.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I think my favorite part of that conversation is when is Karkat hanging off the platform, until he hears John bring up his hangup with Terezi. Because I got the most vivid mental image of Karkat sitting back up onto the platform and beginning to lecture John in a single, smooth motion, like a cat springing on its prey.

stupid romance garbage is extremely his poo poo

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I always was a bit put out that he never got to exercise that expertise more during Hivebent. I can't remember if the thing about Karkat aping Troll Will Smith in Troll Hitch rather than thresh prince actually happened or was a fancomic thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JT Jag posted:

KARKAT: I HEARD YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT QUADRANTS, SO I DECIDED TO PAUSE MY TANTRUM.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Death Bot posted:

The entire point is that gay doesn't mean anything and we've been programmed to think about sexuality and romance in very specific ways. Gay doesn't really mean anything when you're on a spaceship with a bunch of members of an alien race and your sister, and the thought process that he's trying to get out is that maybe it never did because the only thing keeping us acting how we act is history and tradition.

Mystic Mongol posted:

We use terms like gay or straight or bi to describe the incredibly complex and personal sexuality of wide swaths of the population, in a similar way to the way we use terms like nerd or hipster or jock to describe the personality and habits of groups.

Now the kids have to decide who they are and how they feel about their tiny, tiny peer group on individual terms, instead of worrying about what label society will put on them, because society has been destroyed.

All well and good but this needs to go both ways. Before this is over I want Karkat to do some introspection of his own and hear him say out loud (well, shout, with lots of swearing...) that much like labels on human sexuality, the quadrants are meaningless bullshit that only unspeakable frothing dipshits obsess over. :)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Fucknag posted:

KARKAT: I HEARD YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT QUADRANTS, SO I DECIDED TO PAUSE MY TANTRUM.

This needs to be turned into an 1STH1SYOU, pronto.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zoe posted:

All well and good but this needs to go both ways. Before this is over I want Karkat to do some introspection of his own and hear him say out loud (well, shout, with lots of swearing...) that much like labels on human sexuality, the quadrants are meaningless bullshit that only unspeakable frothing dipshits obsess over. :)

As summer turns to autumn, so future Karkat will turn on past Karkat.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fucknag posted:

Oh my god I laughed so hard. Thank you for this.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Fucknag posted:

I think all those update pauses were worth it. This is incredible.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought there was evidence with the Beforus trolls that the Quadrants really were bullshit social constructs? And there was that vagueness with the Disciple and the Sufferer's relationship. At the very least the idea that trolls operate only on pity and hate is probably bunk. Homestuck's up to its neck in relationship stuff now, so presumably whatever relationships persist to the end of the comic probably won't be constrained by traditional definitions - some of them involve aliens and humans, for a start.

People elsewhere are wondering if Homestuck will be tackling other issues of gender and sexual identity while things are on their current roll. I don't recall if any trans issues were brought up by anyone. Some people seemed very keen on John rejecting relationships as a whole, either because they were concerned about everyone "having" to be in a relationship or as a matter of identity, but John and Roxy seem pretty likely at this point. It's actually a little interesting that for all the rest of Homestuck's relational diversity John seems to fit the more classical hero archetype complete with Getting The Girl.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

I thought there was evidence with the Beforus trolls that the Quadrants really were bullshit social constructs? And there was that vagueness with the Disciple and the Sufferer's relationship. At the very least the idea that trolls operate only on pity and hate is probably bunk. Homestuck's up to its neck in relationship stuff now, so presumably whatever relationships persist to the end of the comic probably won't be constrained by traditional definitions - some of them involve aliens and humans, for a start.

Nah, the Beforus stuff was pretty specifically "even in a world without Doc Scratch's intervention, trolls are pansexual bug aliens with a heinously complicated system of romance". The imperial drones and mandatory culling for non-breeders, those were gone, sure, but those are just fascist methods of control structured around an existing cultural biology. It would be kind of a copout if everything that made them alien was the product of an evil demiurge and trolls in their natural state were just exactly like humans.

The pity and hate stuff, sure. Beforan customs seem to earmark those more as love and rivalry, but it's the same thing going on under the hood.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 1, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Didn't Karkat already admit it was just a romantic framework rather than :biotruths:? I'm sure that's happened at some point.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dolash posted:

People elsewhere are wondering if Homestuck will be tackling other issues of gender and sexual identity while things are on their current roll. I don't recall if any trans issues were brought up by anyone. Some people seemed very keen on John rejecting relationships as a whole, either because they were concerned about everyone "having" to be in a relationship or as a matter of identity, but John and Roxy seem pretty likely at this point. It's actually a little interesting that for all the rest of Homestuck's relational diversity John seems to fit the more classical hero archetype complete with Getting The Girl.
John and Roxy are sort of the one token heroterosexual** romance in the book

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dolash posted:

I don't recall if any trans issues were brought up by anyone.

Well, if you want to look at it that way, the Cherubs transition back and forth.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Considering the relatively tiny group of individuals already with established personalities we're dealing with I don't think we're necessarily going to get examples of every single possible combination of social/gender/sexual/whatever issues.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Burger king kids club: gender and sexuality edition does not seem like the kind of thing Hussie would play seriously at all.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Good lord, this makes Tavros retroactively right

quote:

AT: uHHH,
AT: oK, THIS IS SORT OF STARTING TO UPSET ME,
TG: jesus you are such a lovely troll
AT: i GUESS i'LL LEAVE YOU ALONE,
AT: aND FIND ANOTHER POINT IN TIME TO BOTHER YOU,
AT: wHEN, i GUESS,
AT: yOU ARE MORE EMOTIONALLY SUSCEPTIBLE, aND DON'T HAVE ALL THESE BEES IN YOUR BONNET,
AT: aBOUT YOUR HUMAN SEXUALITY,

:barf:

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Paul.Power posted:

Is that when being a hero results in you stumbling across a love interest without trying?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zoe posted:

Considering the relatively tiny group of individuals already with established personalities we're dealing with I don't think we're necessarily going to get examples of every single possible combination of social/gender/sexual/whatever issues.

Homestuck is already basically Delany for teens, I'd not rule it out

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Also Mom (Rose's) and Dad (John's). Rose's Mom is sorta-kinda Roxy, but John's Dad is a mystery.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dolash posted:

At the very least the idea that trolls operate only on pity and hate is probably bunk.

I think that part, like a lot of early stuff we were introduced to, was when the trolls were meant to be more foreign and antagonistic than they later became. Much like "the troll word for friend is the same as for enemy", it comes from a time when the trolls were a lot more one-note. I don't know how much of the troll culture was planned from the beginning, but to me, it seems that they weren't originally meant to be as sympathetic and complicated as they later became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dolash posted:

I don't recall if any trans issues were brought up by anyone.

Really hope they aren't at any point.