Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Nice!

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Scotland and the general election – David Cameron, who said he would have been heartbroken if Scotland had voted to leave the UK in the independence referendum, said he had not foreseen the failure of Labour in Scotland and the success of the SNP" After Caravaggio.

Telegraph:

Election 2015: Conservatives promise law to curb tax rises; Ed Miliband tells Russell Brand he's 'wrong' on politics

Independent:

Yesterday's Times:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Russell Brand and Ed Miliband

Referring to The Russell Brand Show prank telephone calls row.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a terrible, shallow, poorly managed attempt at connecting with the youth vote, but it's also an attempt to connect with the youth vote. gently caress it, I'm giving him a pass.

That Brand by Brookes is horrifying though.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

goatface posted:

Yeah, it's a terrible, shallow, poorly managed attempt at connecting with the youth vote, but it's also an attempt to connect with the youth vote. gently caress it, I'm giving him a pass.

That Brand by Brookes is horrifying though.

I thought it went over okish. Though I'm not the targeted demographic.

Speaking of Brand, babbys first Michael Moore documentary. Mark Kermode kind of nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQ19QHBjDE

Again, I think the target audience is like, teenagers/first time voters.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it was a decent show by miliband and a pretty brave thing to do, considering brand's uncontrollability

i mean labour is still third way-ist, but miliband's performance in this election has been consistently good

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fluo posted:

Again, I think the target audience is like, teenagers/first time voters.

Or not, as it happens.

I really like the Times one. Really puts its finger on how weird it was seeing Cameron pretending to have emotions.
I've not been following the Graun's coverage enough to make heads or tails of the Bell though. Milliband's being... sacrificed by the tories at the SNP's behest?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr. Squishy posted:

Or not, as it happens.

I really like the Times one. Really puts its finger on how weird it was seeing Cameron pretending to have emotions.
I've not been following the Graun's coverage enough to make heads or tails of the Bell though. Milliband's being... sacrificed by the tories at the SNP's behest?

are you familiar with the story of death of John the baptist?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... Russell Brand and Ed Miliband

Referring to The Russell Brand Show prank telephone calls row.
First they came for Beloved Character Actor Andrew "Manuel" Sachs, now they've come for Beloved Character Actor Gordon "René" Kaye... When will it end? :ohdear:

Edit: That cat's shadow :stonk:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 30, 2015

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I'm impressed by Mac's ability to draw old people's houses, that looks almost exactly like my parent's place.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

are you familiar with the story of death of John the baptist?

I don't see how it pertains.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't see how it pertains.

Your earlier reading has the roles wrongly assigned; Cameron is Salome and Sturgeon is the executioner, so it's the SNP killing Labour and, in doing so, satisfying a Tory desire. Bell has used a little creative licence and slightly altered the composition to move Salmond slightly away from Cameron to align him visually with Sturgeon, since I think in the original the third figure is Salome's mother rather than another executioner. Personally, I think it would make a better visual gag and be more coherent thematically if it was Murdoch instead of Salmond, but as a political cartoon it's pretty clear as is.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's visually nice, but makes no sense thematically.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goatface posted:

It's visually nice, but makes no sense thematically.

I'm not sure that's fair: "the SNP, not the Tories, are the ones beating Labour into second place" makes sense.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Or not, as it happens.

I thought most people over 20 found him annoying :o

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Niric posted:

I'm not sure that's fair: "the SNP, not the Tories, are the ones beating Labour into second place" makes sense.

It puts Salmond (as the mother) controlling Cameron (as Salome) who has had the unseen king execute Milliband (JtB), with Sturgeon being the executioner.

It says to me that whoever controls Sturgeon doesn't want to destroy Milliband, but feels honour bound to do so because they made a promise to Cameron, who - being manipulated by Salmond - has requested it. It doesn't make sense.

goatface fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 30, 2015

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
English cartoonist in not understanding ScotPol shocker?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coohoolin posted:

English cartoonist in not understanding ScotPol shocker?

You mean this is not how your referendum went?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saA8415M3Tw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Niric posted:

Your earlier reading has the roles wrongly assigned; Cameron is Salome and Sturgeon is the executioner, so it's the SNP killing Labour and, in doing so, satisfying a Tory desire. Bell has used a little creative licence and slightly altered the composition to move Salmond slightly away from Cameron to align him visually with Sturgeon, since I think in the original the third figure is Salome's mother rather than another executioner. Personally, I think it would make a better visual gag and be more coherent thematically if it was Murdoch instead of Salmond, but as a political cartoon it's pretty clear as is.

I totally didn't clock that Nicola was the one with the sword and gave her the role of Salome, due to sexism.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goatface posted:

It puts Salmond (as the mother) controlling Cameron (as Salome) who has had the unseen king execute Milliband (JtB), with Sturgeon being the executioner.

It says to me that whoever controls Sturgeon doesn't want to destroy Milliband, but feels honour bound to do so because they made a promise to Cameron, who - being manipulated by Salmond - has requested it. It doesn't make sense.

I see what you mean with regards to salmond-as-mother, though I think it was specifically to avoid (or at least mitigate ) that reading that Bell slightly altered the composition so that salmond is less linked to Cameron. Sturgeon's conflict in killing Miliband actually works really well, since it suggests that the SNP don't want to destroy Labour UK wide, but that it's a consequence of the role they are in.

It's a good, if not perfect, political cartoon is what I'm saying

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on leaked Tory plans to cap child benefits – Danny Alexander accuses Tories of ‘trying to con the British people’ by concealing until after the election plans for major reforms to child benefits and child tax credits" After Martin Honeysett. (Couldn't find original, apologies)

Telegraph:

Leaders grilled by audience in Question Time special

Independent:

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:
Mac on... The great Kate wait

Mail:
Mac on... The surge in the polls of the SNP

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ahaha Mac's Scottish writing is better than the Telegraph or Indy stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yessssss :anarchists:

Cameron is disturbed that there may be a second pilot in the cockpit as it would interfere with his plan to ram Britain into a mountainside. A too-soon cartoon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

Ahaha Mac's Scottish writing is better than the Telegraph or Indy stuff.

Isn't he Scottish though?

I like how the election's 'boring' even though he keeps doing cartoons about how terrible Labour are and our impending doom. Oh wait Labour are doing well? Uh... yawn who cares about that anyway heh

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
It's boring from the baby's point of view.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There's no way that kid is doing languages other than Latin or Ancient Greek, that's a loving posh lounge

E: although he also looks like he's from the Bash Street Kids, so I'm torn

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

mfcrocker posted:

There's no way that kid is doing languages other than Latin or Ancient Greek, that's a loving posh lounge

E: although he also looks like he's from the Bash Street Kids, so I'm torn

Wey, are they still playing? I saw them do O'Donoghue's in Aberdeen a couple of years back, thought they'd fallen off the map since then.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Pretty sure he's talking about the Beano characters.

(Unless I'm missing something here)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Coohoolin posted:

Wey, are they still playing? I saw them do O'Donoghue's in Aberdeen a couple of years back, thought they'd fallen off the map since then.

He's probably talking about this lot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bash_Street_Kids

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Woops, immigrant mistake. There's a band that dresses up like schoolkids and plays fun music up here and since mfcrocker is in Scotland (I think?) I thought maybe... But no, that makes much more sense.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Coohoolin posted:

Woops, immigrant mistake. There's a band that dresses up like schoolkids and plays fun music up here and since mfcrocker is in Scotland (I think?) I thought maybe... But no, that makes much more sense.

I'm one of those Bristol lot

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

mfcrocker posted:

I'm one of those Bristol lot

Close enough, we're taking you lot with us next referendum :scotland:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The Supreme Court posted:

Close enough, we're taking you lot with us next referendum :scotland:

A man can dream

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

poo poo, Private Eye is onto us.

WE ARE YOUR FUTURE

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... The surge in the polls of the SNP

This is actually Coohoolin irl.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

keep punching joe posted:

This is actually Coohoolin irl.

Nonsense, I would know it's "daein" instead of "doin".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I can't stop looking at that table. What is it with wealthy families and occult demonic artifacts?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do you think they got that wealthy?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Any school that does Latin and Greek is going to have the kids doing a modern language as well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goatface posted:

How do you think they got that wealthy?

Well when they said they inherited it from the Old Ones I thought...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

When I go for a piss in a pub I read The Broons off the wall

• Locked thread