Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, why would you take a V6 over the EB4? I love the V6 in my 2011, but I think if I were to buy a new Mustang right now, I'd go either for the EB or the GT, even if V6s were available with the same options.
The torque curve for the EB falls off a cliff at 5k, and when I drove one I could still feel the turbo lag and it annoyed me. Without a turbo upgrade theres no way to fix the cliff drop, even the tunes are only adding boost at 2k and not helping much at the top end. And a bigger turbo to fix the top end would just make the turbo lag worse.

Guinness posted:

This is the worst reason to not get a car that you want, no matter what the car is.

But it's the worstest reason to not get a GT350 if you want one.
Agreed. If you want the GT350, gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ilkhan posted:

The torque curve for the EB falls off a cliff at 5k, and when I drove one I could still feel the turbo lag and it annoyed me. Without a turbo upgrade theres no way to fix the cliff drop, even the tunes are only adding boost at 2k and not helping much at the top end. And a bigger turbo to fix the top end would just make the turbo lag worse.

Agreed. If you want the GT350, gently caress them.

I hadn't heard that, but I'll take your word for it. Guess I'll just have to save up for the GT, oh, woe is me ;)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

PT6A posted:

I hadn't heard that, but I'll take your word for it. Guess I'll just have to save up for the GT, oh, woe is me ;)
Yeah, woah is us.

Its actually more like 5.5k, so you're losing the top 1000-1500rpm pretty badly.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I didn't really notice any turbo lag, the boost threshold was pretty low too. The way the EB felt and drove worked very well for me. I understand not liking it though. Everyone has different tastes and Ford is going to attempt to cater to all of them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Just twin turbo it! One small snail, one big.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I hope they have the same issues moving them they had with the Z28 and I find one for $50k new. I just can't get over how the Camaro looks or I would have probably gone after one.

I wouldn't count on it, they are only making 137 2015 cars.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

I wouldn't count on it, they are only making 137 2015 cars.
There will be more in M.Y. 2016. Production starts 8/3.

The Midniter posted:

Just twin turbo it! One small snail, one big.
At that point youd be better off having bought the GT.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 30, 2015

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

SFH1989 posted:

I didn't really notice any turbo lag, the boost threshold was pretty low too. The way the EB felt and drove worked very well for me. I understand not liking it though. Everyone has different tastes and Ford is going to attempt to cater to all of them.

I've never heard someone complain about lag with the EB engines personally. That's one area where they shine IMO.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Even with the 3.5 EB there's definitely some lag but you're not going to notice unless you're hammering it from a stop and it's over with quick. The now behind the times 6 speed auto is a larger cause of delays once you're already going(a tune or staying in S alleviates a lot of this on the SHO).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

howling_mad posted:

I've never heard someone complain about lag with the EB engines personally. That's one area where they shine IMO.
Oh, I admit it wasn't much.
It wasn't 0.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The nice thing about Ford products being so popular in the metro Detroit area; on a nice day you can drive around with the windows down and here a bunch new EB cars boosting at 2k rpm.

Hell, the Steeda airbox I put on my Fusion really amplifies all the sucking, whistling, and huffing noises. And I love it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, woah is us.

Its actually more like 5.5k, so you're losing the top 1000-1500rpm pretty badly.

Isnt a torque curve like that kind of ideal for a sporty street car? like the 86/BRZ/FRS has a hole right in the middle of the rev range.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Laserface posted:

Isnt a torque curve like that kind of ideal for a sporty street car? like the 86/BRZ/FRS has a hole right in the middle of the rev range.
Ideal is full torque from 0 to 200mph. ;)
Otherwise you want as flat as possible and wide as possible.
That hole in the brz curve is horrible.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Ideal is full torque from 0 to 200mph. ;)
Otherwise you want as flat as possible and wide as possible.
That hole in the brz curve is horrible.

I think its pretty good considering no one is going to be regularly using 5500RPM+ unless their on a race track. at which point you'd want a better turbo anyway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I think its pretty good considering no one is going to be regularly using 5500RPM+ unless their on a race track. at which point you'd want a better turbo anyway.

I think it's pretty standard on pretty much every small displacement turbo engine of the past at least decade or so as well? Go to a smaller turbo to try to kill lag and it's going to run out of steam at the top.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah but turbos have improved a fair bit since then too.

like you can get a turbo from Garrett now that hits boost 1000RPM sooner and flows 10-25% more air across the whole range while still fitting into the same form factor as its predecessor.

Id say the EB is retarding timing like a motherfucker above 5500.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There's also variable geometry turbochargers that will probably become the norm when the development costs drop enough.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone see the "birth" ad for the new Audi RS3? Supposedly we're getting the sedan version in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHclD1LZS3Y

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Laserface posted:

TBH I don't know what you're on about, I rev my car to redline literally every day I drive it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I want to see a ducktail spoiler on that GT350.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Sigma X posted:

TBH I don't know what you're on about, I rev my car to redline literally every day I drive it.

A redline a day keeps the mechanic away!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone see the "birth" ad for the new Audi RS3? Supposedly we're getting the sedan version in North America.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. :barf:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

So we get the physically deformed little brother that gets sent away to boarding school?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

So we get the physically deformed little brother that gets sent away to boarding school?

And then "forgotten" after a couple of years when no one buys one because it's going to be like $60k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi posted:

Every now and then a film comes along that needs to be viewed on the best possible screen

*video is only available in 720p*

I dig a super Golf, but a super Audi sedan is just so :effort:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 1, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jesus loving christ. What were they thinking??

There was nothing technically "gross" about that, but it's horrifying nonetheless.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Jesus loving christ. What were they thinking??

There was nothing technically "gross" about that, but it's horrifying nonetheless.

It looks like something you'd see out of an old Quake game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's funny, when I first started looking into replacing the Miata a few months ago, there were no RWD cars I was excited about and I was basically at the "I guess a Mazda3 or Focus ST would be OK until I can afford something I really want" phase. Then Ford came along and dropped this new Mustang into the mix and I think I could be pretty happy with that car until I'm making real gently caress you dollars.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's funny, when I first started looking into replacing the Miata a few months ago, there were no RWD cars I was excited about and I was basically at the "I guess a Mazda3 or Focus ST would be OK until I can afford something I really want" phase. Then Ford came along and dropped this new Mustang into the mix and I think I could be pretty happy with that car until I'm making real gently caress you dollars.

One of the drivers in my autocross region just got a new 5.0. It dominated our pro class at its first outing. The new mustang in 5.0 trim is going to be a real contender this year I think.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sadi posted:

One of the drivers in my autocross region just got a new 5.0. It dominated our pro class at its first outing. The new mustang in 5.0 trim is going to be a real contender this year I think.
The funny part is the engine basically still the same 5.0, the improvement is all chassis.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well thats something I never need to see again.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 2, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well, that's weird. :staredog:

The ceramic breaks are probably worth half a Focus ST on their own.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

EB, v6 or 5.0 mustang?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Coredump posted:

EB, v6 or 5.0 mustang?

By the time we have our finances sorted out to buy, the gt should be right at the top of my price range. The only options I give a poo poo about are ac, Bluetooth, and cruise control so I save some money not needing prostate massage seats or whatever the gently caress they're putting in cars these days.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 2, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

[quote="LeftistMuslimObama? post="444810173"]
By the time we have our finances sorted out to buy, the gt should be right at the top of my price range. The only options I give a poo poo about arena, Bluetooth, and cruise control so I save some money not needing prostate massage seats or whatever the gently caress they're putting in cars these days.
[/quote]

Get that massage brother, you'll enjoy it OH YEAJ

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

As much as I hate GM I think the new Camaro is going to be better than the Mustang, given that it's on the smaller, lighter, by all accounts excellent ATS platform.

GM also does V8 engines better than anyone.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wheeee posted:

As much as I hate GM I think the new Camaro is going to be better than the Mustang, given that it's on the smaller, lighter, by all accounts excellent ATS platform.

GM also does V8 engines better than anyone.

I wonder if they'll make outward visibility better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

El Scotch posted:

I wonder if they'll make outward visibility better.

Sure doesn't look like it

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a6333/spy-photos-give-the-clearest-look-yet-at-the-2016-chevrolet-camaro/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Expect it to drive brilliantly and have a poo poo awful interior with worse blind spots than a Soviet tank.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wow, it's like there's no b-pillar and an all-consuming c-pillar.

E: I don't know if this was posted earlier in the week but Jag is bringing back the straight-six :toot:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I can't wait for one of these to cut me off every day