Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, well, I know that I brought it up, but I wouldn't be able to organize it. However, I am very much interested in taking part, of course.

Anyone willing to set something up? Also, how tough is it to get non-Windows players to play in it? Is Zandronum the thing to look at for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'd be down to play. And sure, I can set up a server if we can decide on a mapset/gamemode. It'll be hosted on Montreal, Canada, so if anyone's in Russia they might need to prepare themselves for some lag.

From what I gather, it's pretty straightforward for Mac and Linux players to get in (I've got a bro that uses OSX for errything and a few of my dev buddies use Linux). And yeah, Zandronum is likely going to be the port of choice.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I want in on this

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
My Doom server is down right now but I'll try to get it back up once my VPS host gets Debian 8 on it, in case you need a server.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Retrojam 3 for Quake has been released, and the two maps included are very good.

Also, someone recorded a really, really funky version of At Doom's Gate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMVa_x213Q

I prefer this style infintely more to the trite metal covers

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'd be down to play. And sure, I can set up a server if we can decide on a mapset/gamemode. It'll be hosted on Montreal, Canada, so if anyone's in Russia they might need to prepare themselves for some lag.

From what I gather, it's pretty straightforward for Mac and Linux players to get in (I've got a bro that uses OSX for errything and a few of my dev buddies use Linux). And yeah, Zandronum is likely going to be the port of choice.

You're in Montreal, too? Awesome! I'm in Pointe-Claire, so I'll get no lag whatsoever! :haw:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

trip report: hexen is considerably more fun when you are playing it as duke nukem and remember all the locations of the dumb puzzle pieces from the last playthrough you did to make fun of the game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just spent the last 25 minutes playing E2M2, trying to find that goddamned yellow key that isn't necessary to finish the level. Turns out, I zigged when I should have zagged. Had to look up a walkthrough.

Brings me back to my youth, as I almost started taking notes :allears:

EDIT: So I was checking out 15 minutes of Brutal Doom v20 gameplay here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2J4Loe57g

And that map pack seems to go perfectly with the mod. It's like the architecture equivalent to Brutal Doom; same Doom at its base, but different than you remember.

(Map pack is 'Recurring Nightmare', found here -> http://www.moddb.com/mods/recurring-nightmare)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 1, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

FirstPersonShitter posted:

trip report: hexen is considerably more fun when you are playing it as duke nukem and remember all the locations of the dumb puzzle pieces from the last playthrough you did to make fun of the game

I had a suprisingly fun time of Hexen with the help of Psychic too.

Then again, there is something adorable about fighting mace and magic using monsters with handguns and psychic powers. :allears:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed63FqG6tGg

:allears:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Something I learned: Spike Chunsoft, the developer of the Danganronpa games, is owned by Dwango, a spin-off company from the original DWANGO service.

Doom is tangentially responsible for the Danganronpa explosion in Let's Play and Tumblr.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

Apparently that switch isn't turning despite being activated, if you check back inside the big room with the vats and the crushing machine their should be a switch you can hit that used to be behind a forcefield.
Nope, the pipe associated with that switch is still full of red stuff and the force field is still up. Guess I'll have to noclip it.

quote:

Anybody actually played the main episode 2 of the AMC TC? I'm glad people like the EDF missions but pretty much every post here is talking about that and not about the actual original stuff we made :v: I probably should of made them open up when episode 2 is beaten rather than at anytime.
I've been dividing my playtime between the story and EDF missions under the following logic: I want to play all of the missions, but I probably won't bother going back for any that I missed after finishing the story. So I do a few EDF missions followed by one story mission, and repeat until done, hopefully having finished them all by then. Episode 1 ended a lot sooner than I thought it would, so I increased the number of EDF missions I do between story missions after that.

The game's economy also seems to suggest that going at this pace is the "right" way to play. Even having done ep1 and as many EDF missions as I have, I'm still saving up to be able to afford even one of the things you can buy outside of Earth. I still have no idea what most of that stuff even does, and if I were to just blitz through the story I'd never get to find out! Like, what do those satellites do? Probably something cool given how expensive they are - I'd hate to finish the game without learning what it is.

If you want to control the rate at which players consume side content, one good way to do it would be to have the EDF missions unlock progressively as story missions are completed, rather than having them all unlocked from the start. That way you could give us a little guidance on how we should pace ourselves without just stepping in and saying "No, you can't do that!"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This is the best BFG ever. :colbert:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
So what mod is that?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Modes of Destruction (:toot:) being played with Back to Saturn X. I guess it says more about my preferences than the map itself, but I find The Hard Way much more enjoyable than any other slaughter map I've played.

But I made this BFG so cool I've never been able to come up with an alternate mode that would be a worthy companion. :saddowns:

And I also made a full status bar based on the MoD HUD which is a variant of Blackfish's BTSX HUD, combined with the original BTSX status bar:

Just like with the fullscreen HUD, the two lights on either side of the status bar face are bar graphs for health (blue) and armor (orange).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoomRL Arsenal has some pretty drat big loving guns. The BFG10k rapid fires smaller blasts while the Biggest loving Gun spews 100 exploding tracers and an absurdly powerful ball that rips through non-bosses. And then there's the Biggest loving Nuclear Gun, with regenerating ammo and optional nuclear blast

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I feel like this dude is legitimately mentally retarded.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I wish project MSX worked properly with hexen, I want to go through that game as the ultimate punching robot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like this dude is legitimately mentally retarded.

Sith 2

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Lork posted:

Nope, the pipe associated with that switch is still full of red stuff and the force field is still up. Guess I'll have to noclip it.
Fixing this is gonna be a pain since the author uses fairly esoteric methods of doing things, but alas.

quote:

I've been dividing my playtime between the story and EDF missions under the following logic: I want to play all of the missions, but I probably won't bother going back for any that I missed after finishing the story. So I do a few EDF missions followed by one story mission, and repeat until done, hopefully having finished them all by then. Episode 1 ended a lot sooner than I thought it would, so I increased the number of EDF missions I do between story missions after that.

The game's economy also seems to suggest that going at this pace is the "right" way to play. Even having done ep1 and as many EDF missions as I have, I'm still saving up to be able to afford even one of the things you can buy outside of Earth. I still have no idea what most of that stuff even does, and if I were to just blitz through the story I'd never get to find out! Like, what do those satellites do? Probably something cool given how expensive they are - I'd hate to finish the game without learning what it is.

If you want to control the rate at which players consume side content, one good way to do it would be to have the EDF missions unlock progressively as story missions are completed, rather than having them all unlocked from the start. That way you could give us a little guidance on how we should pace ourselves without just stepping in and saying "No, you can't do that!"
The satellites make mining resources available on the moons (once the factory is produced) You can mine stuff up using supplies to earn a bit of cash (and supplies are made by factories you've built for every mission you've beaten) I did want to make a mini-game for mining where you'd drive a rover around scooping up minerals and stuff, but never got the inspiration to implement it.

The locking EDF missions thing was suggested to me but I didn't like that idea since I didn't want them to feel too tied into the main plotline of the story. It's an idea worth me thinking about a bit more at least (maybe I can code it so it chooses a random bunch at a time)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hexen has some really fun weapons and I love the three classes having their own different arsenal, but I hate the level design so much. Has anyone made a WAD that just lets you play with the Hexen classes/weapons in Doom 1/2 levels? That would be great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is neat. Pointless, but neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvfJoy1rjmo

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That would make a fun extra difficulty level, with the pathing and monster sounds fixed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The game is already deterministic so it would better be called "Easily Predictable Doom" :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

The game is already deterministic so it would better be called "Easily Predictable Doom" :v:

Doom Zero.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

eSports Tourneybro Stop Having Fun Doom. Blzut3 told me that there are "competitive" types who lobby for an option to turn off Zandronum's RNG (the answer is always no).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Not technically an Early FPS, but relevant to the thread's interests. Turn off auto-updates for Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project if you have it on Steam, they just released a random rear end update that totally busts the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Duke Nukem 3D (the ultimate edition or whatever) is slightly broken on OS X, the menus tend to disappear whenever :smith:

Maybe it's been fixed recently, it's been a little while since I've checked it out. I would also be totally down for a Duke Nukem tournament as well :black101:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Black Mesa Source put up a cryptic countdown site ticking down to May 5th, 8:47 AM MDT. Hmm. Hmm.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Weren't some multiplayer maps leaked recently?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Pretty interesting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Now I want to see it with multiple sets of identical number tables. Like what does all 56s do for shot spreads?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually dabbled at one point in making a ZDoom mod where all the weapons in the game do either mininum or maximum damage at some point. Might've done the same with monster attacks, I forget. Don't believe I touched spread any, though.

So, y'know, if some MLG Pro wannabe comes in whining about randomized damage, they could always mod the game to do the same.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I couldn't have an alternate mode for the BFG that wasn't completely ridiculous, so here comes a seriously insane version of the alpha BFG as the alternate mode. It fires an expanding wall of 40 bouncing, ripping projectiles. The projectiles bounce off both walls and planes, and bounce twice before exploding.

Try it for yourself in version 0.4.1!

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 1, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hexen has some really fun weapons and I love the three classes having their own different arsenal, but I hate the level design so much. Has anyone made a WAD that just lets you play with the Hexen classes/weapons in Doom 1/2 levels? That would be great.

You can try Samsara, though it has only one Hexen class and it gets some of the weapons of the other two classes so as to make the arsenal closer to Doom's nine weapons.

Should it replace all values with 127 so as to always provide average results?

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

This is the best BFG ever. :colbert:
no this is

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Should it replace all values with 127 so as to always provide average results?

I thought about that too. The table is apparently pre-randomized, so it'd be interesting to see what would happen if the table were set up so that the values incremented normally (1, 2, 3, 4...).

EDIT: Played around with Modes of Destruction. Very cool mod! I especially like the new sounds and art and such. However, I have a suggestion: maybe make an option to allow players to set the "alternate fire mode" from a fire select more to just an alternate fire? As in, pressing right mouse doesn't switch between full auto or burst fire, but just fires burst fire.

Also I'm not sure what the laser sight is supposed to do on the pistol. It just seems to slow down my rate of fire and makes my gun focus on the enemy's nuts. All the other firing modes are cool but that one doesn't make sense to me.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 1, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

laserghost posted:

Retrojam 3 for Quake has been released, and the two maps included are very good.

I'm looking forward to trying these out tonight. I can't believe how fast these guys can generate maps. The combat tuning does usually suffer in obvious ways but that's completely forgivable for a weekend effort. Always a good time checking out the places that they make.

As for non-jam Quake output, I'm not sure if it's been posted in the thread yet, but sock is busy making a collection of most of the modded bits (items, weapons, monsters, etc.) he's worked on over the past couple of years. I think he (and maybe other folks?) are building some maps to make use of it, but it's also intended to be a platform for further maps in the same way that Quoth is. The screenshots look awesome as usual for sock-stuff: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arcane-dimensions

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

I thought about that too. The table is apparently pre-randomized, so it'd be interesting to see what would happen if the table were set up so that the values incremented normally (1, 2, 3, 4...).

EDIT: Played around with Modes of Destruction. Very cool mod! I especially like the new sounds and art and such. However, I have a suggestion: maybe make an option to allow players to set the "alternate fire mode" from a fire select more to just an alternate fire? As in, pressing right mouse doesn't switch between full auto or burst fire, but just fires burst fire.

Also I'm not sure what the laser sight is supposed to do on the pistol. It just seems to slow down my rate of fire and makes my gun focus on the enemy's nuts. All the other firing modes are cool but that one doesn't make sense to me.

The laser sight trades fire rate for accuracy. It basically has the same purpose as the burst mode for the SMG. As for your suggestion, the mode switching and the slight delay inherent in it is a core mechanic so I'm not going to do anything to it.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wrath of Cronos is close, but it depends on how much RPG you like in your Doom. If the answer isn't "a metric fuckton of RPG," steer clear. As mentioned above, Samsara has the Cleric in it's roster, with some of the Warrior and Mage's arsenal to boot. You could also give Shadows of Chronos a try, since it's a Hexen iwad that should have better level design.