Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Malachai. Ok, pretty rare name and it's old enough that it might wrap back around onto the top of the cool spectrum. Not a big deal, nothing out of the ordinar--

Malikye :smithicide:

To me that looks like someone couldn't decide between Malik and Kanye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I was reading some dumb Buzzfeed list and one of the contributors was named Yzabeaux. I know Isabeau(x? are there two of you?) is a real name, but yikes...

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

sweeperbravo posted:

I met a 9 year old with the name, but pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable. The spelling was I think slightly different but not enough to suggest that the pronunciation would be that.

Like Ma-LACK-ee?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

VorpalBunny posted:

Like Ma-LACK-ee?

Yeah. But is that a valid pronunciation somewhere else and I'm just being culturally uneducated?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

Like Ma-LACK-ee?

Sounds like some kind of old-timey candy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Spotted in a thrift shop:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Whiper

Crow Jane posted:

FAQ: Is that your real name?
“His old first name, Mark, meant ‘the warrior’; we were anti-war. My old first name, Ellen, meant ‘the Queen’; we were anti-authoritarian. It was the ’60′s; we didn’t agree with much. He came up with the new first names for us: Crispin, for him, meaning ‘the curly-headed one’; Crescent, for me, meaning ‘the growing’ (once erroneously reported in a newspaper interview as meaning ‘the growth’).

“The wedding drew nearer. We still hadn’t come up with a new last name. One day, after trying and discarding several possibilities, I said, ‘Maybe we’re taking ourselves too seriously, maybe we should pick something completely frivolous.’ He said, ‘Like what?’ I said, ‘Oh, um, uh, like Dragonwagon.’

http://dragonwagon.com/is-that-your-real-name/

Male Tiers has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Apr 29, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Dragonwagon sits in the old gum tree, selling all the cookbooks she can see

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sweeperbravo posted:

Dragonwagon sits in the old gum tree, selling all the cookbooks she can see

This is fantastic.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Male Tears posted:

Whiper

FAQ: Is that your real name?
“His old first name, Mark, meant ‘the warrior’; we were anti-war. My old first name, Ellen, meant ‘the Queen’; we were anti-authoritarian. It was the ’60′s; we didn’t agree with much. He came up with the new first names for us: Crispin, for him, meaning ‘the curly-headed one’; Crescent, for me, meaning ‘the growing’ (once erroneously reported in a newspaper interview as meaning ‘the growth’).

“The wedding drew nearer. We still hadn’t come up with a new last name. One day, after trying and discarding several possibilities, I said, ‘Maybe we’re taking ourselves too seriously, maybe we should pick something completely frivolous.’ He said, ‘Like what?’ I said, ‘Oh, um, uh, like Dragonwagon.’

http://dragonwagon.com/is-that-your-real-name/

Ellen is a form of Helen and means "light".

Crescent Dragonwagon does terrible research.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alternatively, it's derived (through several steps over hundreds of years) from Eleanor, from the queen of France, Eleanor of Aquitaine. That's probably what she was going off of.

There's a lot of bullshit out there about names, though. I've read in different sources over the years that my name means either Spear Warrior, Gentleman, Old Man or, most recently, may be derived from "gentleness."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lotish posted:

There's a lot of bullshit out there about names, though. I've read in different sources over the years that my name means either Spear Warrior, Gentleman, Old Man or, most recently, may be derived from "gentleness."

I have an uncle named Paul, which apparently according to my baby names book means "small." His last name, in another language, also means "small." The dude is the size of a doorway. Always thought that was funny.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sweeperbravo posted:

I have an uncle named Paul, which apparently according to my baby names book means "small." His last name, in another language, also means "small." The dude is the size of a doorway. Always thought that was funny.

Paul means "small" in an emotional way, more like meekness or modesty instead of size, if I recall correctly.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Paul means "small" in an emotional way, more like meekness or modesty instead of size, if I recall correctly.

He definitely does not fit that description either. Thank you for the info, though!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

This sounds like a sex act.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

bringmyfishback posted:

This sounds like a sex act.

"Passionate Vegetarian" or "Crescent Dragonwagon?"

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FELD1 posted:

Yes.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Velveta Golightly

Real person, not joking.

Velveta Golightly-Howell

I'm not sure what you have to do to your parents to get the double whammy of being named for processed cheese and a prescription grade bowel cleanser.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Precisely.

CommanderApaul posted:

Velveta Golightly

Real person, not joking.

Velveta Golightly-Howell

I'm not sure what you have to do to your parents to get the double whammy of being named for processed cheese and a prescription grade bowel cleanser.

"I'm gonna name my baby after my two favorite things: hookers and plastic cheese."

TINY T-REX ARMS
Feb 12, 2011
Working in any sort of healthcare field gives you access to the weirdest friggin' names ever.

Got yelled at by an older lady in her 60's because I pronounced her name wrong. Her name was Rene. I pronounced it "Ren-nay", which is a fairly normal way to say it. (Not sure about other parts of the states but it's certainly pronounced that way in the North East)
She proceeds to scowl, roll her eyes and huff before yelling "IT'S RENE." .."Reen".

We also have a regular named "Prince". ...My grandma's dog is named "Prince".

For some reason we also get a few names with apostrophes in them. Usually kids 13 and under. Then the parents get angry with you when you ask them how to spell the name. I'm sorry you named your kid something loving retarded.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

Velveta Golightly

Real person, not joking.

Velveta Golightly-Howell

It could be Velvet-a, which isn't much better but it's at least not cheese.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FELD1 posted:

The Crescent Dragonwagon is a sort of upside-down doggy style and there is a food cart involved somehow, but exactly how you incorporate the food cart is up to you and will vary from couple to couple

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barely even shat out of her!

TINY T-REX ARMS
Feb 12, 2011
Took my two year old to the park today. He was being a little crap and refused to play on the swings or slides so we just walked around the playground. A little kid probably about his age toddles over and my son immediately goes over to him and proceeds to stand RIGHT IN FRONT of this child with this big, goofy smile on his face. He's a lil' creep but he's young enough that it's funny and not that odd.

The two are just standing there grinning at one another which is pretty cute. The kid's mom walks over and exchange some typical Mom pleasantries before returning our attention to the kids again.

Me: "Dom, say hi! Say 'Hi, I'm Dommy'!"
Kid's Mom: "Aw..say hi, Barrett."

....Pronounced "Bear-it". What the gently caress, how do you even spell that? Bearit? Berrett? Barret?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's spelled Barret on the Calder Trophy.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

Took my two year old to the park today. He was being a little crap and refused to play on the swings or slides so we just walked around the playground. A little kid probably about his age toddles over and my son immediately goes over to him and proceeds to stand RIGHT IN FRONT of this child with this big, goofy smile on his face. He's a lil' creep but he's young enough that it's funny and not that odd.

The two are just standing there grinning at one another which is pretty cute. The kid's mom walks over and exchange some typical Mom pleasantries before returning our attention to the kids again.

Me: "Dom, say hi! Say 'Hi, I'm Dommy'!"
Kid's Mom: "Aw..say hi, Barrett."

....Pronounced "Bear-it". What the gently caress, how do you even spell that? Bearit? Berrett? Barret?

"Bear-it" is how I'd pronounce "Barrett" ... am I missing something? Are you in the UK?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

It's a rather normal name here in California. I went to high school with a dude named Barrett back in the 90s.

Here are a few recent names we came across. I thought of this thread:

GIRLS:
Brooklyn-Bella
Aeslin
Rylan
Ellery
Ellyse
Millen
Navy
Cailey
Abra
Alessia

BOYS:
Narian
Kylin
Curren
Caspian
Ryder
Jaydon
Edgeryn <---How do you even pronounce this?!
Caz
Brennan
Tosh
Jett
Abrahma
Jackson
Dax
Brycen
Kaleb
Brayden
Jaxon

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I hope some kid didn't actually get named after Daniel Tosh, but of the boys names on that list Jackson, Ryder, Kaleb (despite the spelling) and Dax shouldn't raise any eyebrows imo.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jojoinnit posted:

I hope some kid didn't actually get named after Daniel Tosh, but of the boys names on that list Jackson, Ryder, Kaleb (despite the spelling) and Dax shouldn't raise any eyebrows imo.

Could be Peter Tosh to be fair.

TINY T-REX ARMS
Feb 12, 2011
I'm in the US, I have neeever heard that name before in my life though. Never even seen it on any of the million baby naming websites/books I read while I was trying to figure out a name for my own son. Maybe it's just not common in the North East?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

I'm in the US, I have neeever heard that name before in my life though. Never even seen it on any of the million baby naming websites/books I read while I was trying to figure out a name for my own son. Maybe it's just not common in the North East?

You never played FFVII.

TINY T-REX ARMS
Feb 12, 2011

razorrozar posted:

You never played FFVII.

Seriously just asked my boyfriend about the name and he immediately made a reference to that game. Mystery solved?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Edgeryn <---How do you even pronounce this?!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

razorrozar posted:

You never played FFVII.

Neither have I, but I'm familiar with the name. It's a common enough surname, and surnames-as-given-names is a thing, especially in the south.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

pookel posted:

"Bear-it" is how I'd pronounce "Barrett" ... am I missing something? Are you in the UK?

Yeah that's probably just an accent thing. I'd pronounce it to rhyme with "carrot."

Some people just shape the "a" sound differently. The whole "marry, merry, Mary" thing (some people pronounce them all the same, some two are the same but one is different, some each sounds different).

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, bear-it, carrot, Mary, merry, marry, bury, wary, dairy, berry, very, Harry, hairy, chair, dare, pear, parent, apparent, parrot .... these are all identical "air" sounds to me. I can try to pronounce them differently, but it just sounds like I'm faking an accent if I do.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

pookel posted:

Yeah, bear-it, carrot, Mary, merry, marry, bury, wary, dairy, berry, very, Harry, hairy, chair, dare, pear, parent, apparent, parrot .... these are all identical "air" sounds to me. I can try to pronounce them differently, but it just sounds like I'm faking an accent if I do.

This stuff is fascinating to me :) Whereabouts are you from? I'm in NJ, and I have the opposite situation- I can pronounce all of those the same but I feel like I'm pretending to be this lady.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Oklahoma, although I don't have a pronounced accent, and I'm embarrassed to admit that while that lady sounds fairly wacky, that's just because of the pitch of her voice and what she's saying. Her actual accent doesn't seem odd to me.

I live in North Dakota now, so my accent's been migrating.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

pookel posted:

Oklahoma, although I don't have a pronounced accent, and I'm embarrassed to admit that while that lady sounds fairly wacky, that's just because of the pitch of her voice and what she's saying. Her actual accent doesn't seem odd to me.

I live in North Dakota now, so my accent's been migrating.

For what it's worth, I was just picking her to illustrate the example, not to make fun of how she sounds :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What accent does she have?