Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Jonad posted:

that's fine, all we need is for someone to freeze to the bedrock while directly atop the summit

Usually they push 'em over the cliff if they possibly can. The people who are still there are in flat areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
That interview with David Breshears mentions the fact that the wind that preceded the BC avalanche was around 160-210mph :stare:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
It's like a cool spring breeze that will rip the air from your lungs

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

mikemil828 posted:

Note: Everest shrank an inch due to the earthquake, so it's not even as big of an accomplishment as it was a couple years ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/mt-everest-shrank-nepal-quake-lifted-kathmandu-n351271

We're gonna need that dead blue whale up there more than ever, now

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

elwood posted:

aaaand we are back:

Can we laugh at inevitable dead people now???

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

elwood posted:

aaaand we are back:

Good for Nepal, good for the Everest blood god.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are the challenges of climbing outside the the season window, have people done it?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

mikemil828 posted:

Note: Everest shrank an inch due to the earthquake, so it's not even as big of an accomplishment as it was a couple years ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/mt-everest-shrank-nepal-quake-lifted-kathmandu-n351271

it's practically a whole new mountain

the world first for "first person to climb New Everest" is up for grabs folks!!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Why hasn't anyone taken a step ladder to the top, then got up on it screaming "gently caress you, sir Edmond"?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Tweet from Alan Arnette-

quote:

Himex will not climb Everest from Nepal thus ending the season. Maybe indvidual will like 2014, but major efforts over on both sides.

Himex is Russell Brice's team, they pretty much fix everything up there at Everest.

From the Himex site-

quote:

Hi All
It seems that the media is all very ready to tell the world that I have made a decision to continue to climb on Everest, when in my last newsletter I said that we would assess the situation: the ministry, the expedition operations association, my team, the Sherpas as well as the scale of the disaster in the whole country had to be considered. At that stage I had not made a decision as there were so many factors to be considered. Now having considered all facts, I can tell you that we will not be continuing any of our ascents in Nepal this season.

Yes I have attended many meetings here in Kathmandu with the Ministry of Tourism and Expedition Operators Association. Many operators not just Himalayan Experience have attended these meetings, and in general we as operators have been advising that the Everest season should not continue, due to safety, lack of logistics, and of course the dramatic situation in Nepal at present. But as is often the case in Nepal there are many points of view from government level, to operators, SPCC, HRA and the like to be considered. And also the wishes of our clients also need to be considered.

Yes our team is still at BC where they are actually comfortable and safe and have not been putting pressure on any of the rescue activities that are taking place in Nepal at this moment. In fact immediately after the avalanche at BC our team was very involved in the search and recovery of injured many who were treated by our own expedition doctor Anne Brants. Many of the injured spent the night in our two dining tents before being evacuated the following day. Anne tells me how hard it was to have people dyeing as she was trying to treat them. Our camp also became the home for many others who had lost their tents and infrastructure, and I believe it was only yesterday that the last of these people finally left our camp. I’d like to say thank you for the fantastic job they’ve done so far.

We also lost our main communications tent in the avalanche so this has not made it any easier for our team of guides who have been working so hard to help with rescue operations.

Most of our Sherpa staff have spent the last week at home making sure that their families are safe and making repairs to their damaged buildings. But all were willing to return and carry on climbing, so I also needed to take their point of view into account.

Currently members are packing and waiting for porters and yaks and also our Sherpa staff to arrive from the lower villages so as they can make an orderly return, trying to use the least amount of resources as possible. We have been considering to get everyone to Pheriche and then flying out to Ktm by MI17, this would put less pressure on the lodges and infrastructure going down to Lukla. But it seems unlikely that I can get an MI17 in the current situation, so it seems that everyone will need to walk to Lukla, so I do not expect that they will be back to Ktm until about 4 or 5 May. Now many of the operating hotels are full of media personnel or rescue teams, so there is still an accommodation problem here in Kathmandu.

Likewise, the Makalu team are slowly taking the Advanced Base Camp down to lower BC. There we will store equipment until the emergency situation in Nepal is over. All left over expedition food will be given to the local communities, as will all Everest food. However I still require helicopter evacuation for all members and staff from Makalu BC to Pheriche where they can meet with the Everest members again and for the Sherpa staff can finally get home.

It will still take a few days for my guides and Sherpa staff to take down our BC, so staff will not be out to Ktm for at least 2 weeks.

In the meanwhile we continue to search for the 3 missing Indonesian trekkers, 2 guides and 5 porters who were in the Langtang area. It appears that most injured and dead from this area have been transported to the road head, but there is very little news coming from this devastated area, so it will still take time to establish where these members are. This morning I was meeting with the Indonesian Army rescue team to plan on to how proceed with further searches.

We continue to support all of our staff and their families during this difficult time. Like many others, we will open a fund so as we can collect money which will be used to directly support all of our normal staff for reconstruction of their buildings.

Russ

- See more at: http://himalayanexperience.com/newsletters/everest-2015/the-daily-moraine-2015-4-everest-decision#sthash.KTTxVP5c.dpuf

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 1, 2015

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Frankenstyle posted:

Why hasn't anyone taken a step ladder to the top, then got up on it screaming "gently caress you, sir Edmond"?

screw the ladder, just stand on your Sherpa's shoulders

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

mikemil828 posted:

There is hope for K2 after all.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What are the challenges of climbing outside the the season window, have people done it?

100 to 175 mile per hour winds, all day, every day, except for 2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in September. People have done it in September, but it tends to get a lot of fresh snow at that time, so it's a bit harder than May.

It can be done, but the number of successful off season ascents can be counted on your hands. You basically have to wait for a completely unpredictable freak break in the weather to be able to try it, and you could find yourself trapped in a deathstorm, so it's freakishly suicidal to try it unless you're really good at judging the weather and when to give up..

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Quantrill posted:

Now lift me up so I may be the highest man in the world.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Quantrill posted:

Build a cheerleader-style Sherpa pyramid.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Build a cheerleader-style Sherpa pyramid.

Maybe a stairway of Sherpas all the way up to the summit?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lash all the sherpas together end to end and have a conveyor belt to the top.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Have all the Sherpas form a human train and carry everest piece by piece to somewhere warmer and easier to access

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Minrad posted:

Have all the Sherpas form a human train and carry everest piece by piece to somewhere warmer and easier to access

put it in a valley somewhere so the death zone shrinks to like 200 feet

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Reinhold Messner made the first ascent without oxygen and also summited in August which I believe is the monsoon season.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Melaka mnzisksksqpszmzmzmzm😁🏣😎😞😙😃😂😈😙🚃🚋🚆🚘🚙🚕🚚🚂 as mms kanaka

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What are some good mountains to climb in Europe for someone with no experience?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Freezing and/or being blown off the mountain by 100+mph winds I imagine are the main ones.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

Snowdonia

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Jose posted:

If you want to learn to ice climbing, Ben Nevis in winter is great, and you can book onto five day courses to learn some basic techniques. I'm planning on doing that this coming winter.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Snowdonia

I wanna bike up there one day

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Jose posted:

http://www.mountainphotographer.com/zugspitze/

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cojawfee posted:

Now lift me up so I may be the highest man in the world.

TCC may want in on this...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mikemil828 posted:

All right, everybody go pack your things, time to go home, don't want to make it to the summit just to be stuck with an asterisk.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chris! posted:

If you want to learn to ice climbing, Ben Nevis in winter is great, and you can book onto five day courses to learn some basic techniques. I'm planning on doing that this coming winter.

how long before someone from the everest thread jumps the shark and dies on everest?

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

gggiiimmmppp posted:

how long before someone from the everest thread jumps the shark and dies on everest?

I love rock climbing and take a few climbing holidays abroad a year. And I'm planning on getting seriously into ice climbing later this year. But no way would I ever try and summit Everest.

Tldr: I'll probably die on a much smaller mountain.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I once talked to someone who was pretty seriously into mountaineering. They turned around 200m from the summit of Everest. They said at the time it was one of the hardest decisions they've ever made but in retrospect he was almost certainly in HAPE and reckons he would have died on the way down.

Having read loads of books on Everest as I kid if I ever wanted to do an 8000m peak it seems like something like Makalu is both cheaper and cooler.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i was ctrl+fing for this thread confused where it went until i realized i was looking for the "everquest" thread well that's my story see ya

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Feminition posted:

i was ctrl+fing for this thread confused where it went until i realized i was looking for the "everquest" thread well that's my story see ya

Can-asian girl was trained and lost her corpse. Green boots was a twink.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
I shat on this thread, but it has now been vindicated by the climbers themselves

http://news.yahoo.com/soul-searching-over-quake-ends-everest-climbing-season-105842241.html

quote:

After six days of high emotion and harsh words at Everest Base Camp, climbing firm Himalayan Experience finally decided on Friday to abandon its ascent of the world's highest peak, becoming the last big team to do so.

For one of its clients, millionaire Texas realtor David McGrain, it should never have taken that long to call off the climb, given thousands of people had been killed in the valleys below as well as 18 in an avalanche at base camp itself.

"The narcissism among some of my team mates made me want to vomit," McGrain said after leaving the camp by helicopter for the town of Lukla on Wednesday.

"All they could think about was their goddamn climb, when hours before we were holding crushed skulls in our hands."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someone got the benefit of some perspective out of it, at least.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Sand Monster posted:

Reinhold Messner made the first ascent without oxygen and also summited in August which I believe is the monsoon season.

You cant really compare poo poo Messner did to other climbers (except maybe Steck) the man is a machine. There was a quote from the first man to do the Seven Summits or maybe the Seven Second Summits I can't really remember where he says something to the effect that the only reason he did it before Messner was because Messner was too busy 'gambolling up all the 8000m peaks'. Messner was so far ahead of everyone else its unreal.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Haven't seen this thread in a few weeks and holy crap a lot has happened.

Guess my prediction was pretty close though.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Another new video of the moment the quake hits on Everest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32545637

They immediately begin running from the avalanche, but I can't understand why she continues filming - it seems to slow down her running? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Chris! posted:

Another new video of the moment the quake hits on Everest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32545637

They immediately begin running from the avalanche, but I can't understand why she continues filming - it seems to slow down her running? Maybe I'm wrong though.

They were running from the avalanche? It just seemed like general panicked running to me after having felt the earthquake. Also, again, that's not the avalanche. That's the snow drift from the avalanche. Getting hit by the actual mass of an avalanche does not look like that, and that flat surface they were standing on would have stopped the main mass of the avalanche anyway.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/101-videos/avalanches

Avalanches are scary as poo poo though.

• Locked thread