Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I thought I saw some posters on this thread wishing for an G-sync ultrawide?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-unveils-predator-gaming-series,28986.html

I think Acer somehow drew up a deal with Satan.

e: it's not a TN panel if you hate that

Man I'm probably going to pick one of these up but what the gently caress is with that awful plastic branding poo poo they slather all over it :negative: at least it should have VESA and I won't have to look at the rear of the thing.

EDIT
Wait this isn't the same one as mentioned before since it has a refresh of 144 Hz, where the rumored one was at 75hz.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is the samsung 21:9 the only VA ultrawide? looks like it has ~3000:1 contrast ratio vs 1000:1 on the ips ones.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FreeSync only supported between 35 and 90Hz on the new Asys MG279Q 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor. Minimum AND maximum refresh rates for FreeSync now. It really is seeming like the red headed stepchild of GSync.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BurritoJustice posted:

FreeSync only supported between 35 and 90Hz on the new Asys MG279Q 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor. Minimum AND maximum refresh rates for FreeSync now. It really is seeming like the red headed stepchild of GSync.

That's the downside to making a "standard" and then trying to effectively back-port it on top of existing (more or less) hardware and having to hope that the monitor manufacturers don't gently caress it up, vice a pure hardware solution that you control. I'd suspect we'll see a bunch more monitors come out with curious limitations over the next ~6 months before everyone gets the hang of things and starts Doing It Right.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I asked in the Let's Play tech thread and didn't get a really good response so I'm hoping someone here can help. I have an Avermedia Live Gamer HD that accepts up to 1080p. I have a 1440p monitor. I want to use this thing to record 1080p signals when I switch to that resolution, however my monitor only accepts DVI and the card only accepts HDMI. Whatever is plugged into HDMI claims the monitor 1 spot, so I cannot easily just duplicate the signal in Windows.

Anyone know how I could permanently solve this problem for under 150 bucks, without replacing my monitor?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does setting the DVI to primary not work? In any case, you can use adapters to switch the two and use an audio cable to get audio to your capture card.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=dvi+to+hdmi

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

Ohhhhhhh man. I just bought an LG 34UC97. I have been using a lovely 23" Samsung thing for like 6 years so this should be a slight upgrade.

gently caress me. Please tell me how it is. Have been really trying not to buy o E just yet for me and my wife. Especially interested in how it is for gaming or using the it as dual monitors for working.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

gently caress me. Please tell me how it is. Have been really trying not to buy o E just yet for me and my wife. Especially interested in how it is for gaming or using the it as dual monitors for working.

Yeah I'll definitely share my experience. I'll be using it primarily for gaming, but also photo editing and general office-y stuff. Every review and video I've checked out has mostly gushed about it so I just went for it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Cojawfee posted:

Does setting the DVI to primary not work? In any case, you can use adapters to switch the two and use an audio cable to get audio to your capture card.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=dvi+to+hdmi

Thanks for this

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

XB270HU arrived. No dead pixels, no backlight bleed.

From my sample size of one it looks like the build issues may have been resolved.

Is it worth the bling? What games have you played on it? I'm unfamiliar with GSync, how does it work with regards to in game settings and whatnot? Do you have to set anything or is it just always on regardless of your ingame settings for vsync and all that poo poo? Do you just leave vsync off and then toggle the rest of your detail poo poo as you desire?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ugh, design for "Gamerz".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

That's not a problem with the VESA Adaptive Sync spec itself, though, but yeah, that's a silly implementation. Still, any variable refresh tech coming in is a step in the right direction, eh? So we'll hopefully see some excellent implementations soon.

mcbexx posted:

Genuinely ghastly. Are there really that many 14-year-old boys that can afford these?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 1, 2015

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.

mcbexx posted:

I'm surprised they didn't go all out and spell it "xxPr3d4T0r!xx" to match the terrible design.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

You deserve better.

I do, I really do.

My last job they were running XP based thin client / server set up which was just loving awful to use, laggy, low frame rate, low colour depth. It was loving awful.

Thankfully these days I am much more in control of my IT setup as I've started a business with another guy, just so happened the laptops we got apparently can't drive 4k at 60hz which wasn't really a concern when we got them.

space marine todd posted:

What was the reason your work didn't spring for the Seiki Pro? The added cost?

I am not sure why're you're talking about the Seiki Pro, I am thinking of getting the ASUS PB287Q 28-Inch Screen LED-Lit 4K Monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJGY3TO/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00MN2OKKO

I think I'll get the monitor, put up with the 30hz and just wait until I either refresh the laptop or Apple refresh the Mac Mini so it can drive 4k and up screens.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Is it worth the bling? What games have you played on it? I'm unfamiliar with GSync, how does it work with regards to in game settings and whatnot? Do you have to set anything or is it just always on regardless of your ingame settings for vsync and all that poo poo? Do you just leave vsync off and then toggle the rest of your detail poo poo as you desire?

To me it was worth it. I was using a 7(?) Year old 23" Dell 1080 ultrasharp.

I immediately noticed how much more vibrant games were. Plus 27" feels massive. The extra resolution was nice.

Everything is incredibly smooth, almost unnervingly so at first.

Games tested: Dota2, Elite:Dangerous, Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2.

I'm really not sure how to tell if Gsynch is actually working. It seems to be, but I can't get a hard confirmation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mcbexx posted:

It looks like a modern Nerf gun :barf:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
After like a month of being indecisive as gently caress, I think I'm going to snag the QX2710. I'm probably going to get this one and take the risk of dead pixels, hopefully I don't regret it!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2CA3490

I was also watching some videos on the Shimian QH270 and that looks pretty tempting as well. Apparently they use off grade Apple thunderbolt displays. I've just never used a glossy monitor before so I'm not sure.

I'll probably get the QNIX since so many goons had good experiences with them

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish these variable VSync techs would implement 23.96fps as minimum rate, for movie viewing.

--edit: Wait, I'm dumb. Twice the rate :doh:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I have this monitor, relatively new (I think 1.5 years old at most). Thing went dead on me a week ago and I thought it was the power supply because the brick was dead no matter what I plugged it into. The replacement supply came today, and lights up green like you would expect when plugged into the wall. But when I connect it to the monitor, the monitor is still dead and the power supply makes a slow persistent clicking sound.

Help?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Gunslinger posted:

G-Sync feels like the biggest upgrade to my computer since my first SSD. It has to be seen to be appreciated.

You don't really need to do much to make it work except a) turn it on in the control panel and b) make sure vsync is on in the game. That's it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You have to use real fullscreen too, borderless window won't work.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Papercut posted:

I have this monitor, relatively new (I think 1.5 years old at most). Thing went dead on me a week ago and I thought it was the power supply because the brick was dead no matter what I plugged it into. The replacement supply came today, and lights up green like you would expect when plugged into the wall. But when I connect it to the monitor, the monitor is still dead and the power supply makes a slow persistent clicking sound.

Help?

Sounds like it could be a short somewhere in the monitor because the power brick is behaving like one that is being asked to supply too much current. Of course, it could also be a bad power brick being asked to supply a normal amount of current and not being able to. I think the former is more likely, especially if the old power brick doesn't light up at all.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Amazon is estimating May 26-June second for my XB270HU :negative:

I want this thing so badddddddd

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Sounds like it could be a short somewhere in the monitor because the power brick is behaving like one that is being asked to supply too much current. Of course, it could also be a bad power brick being asked to supply a normal amount of current and not being able to. I think the former is more likely, especially if the old power brick doesn't light up at all.

Yeah that makes sense, when the supply blew it probably overloaded some internal component(s). Argh.

e: Welp, opened it up and there is nothing obviously wrong (no scorch marks, no bulging/broken caps). Can a repair shop even deal with this kind of thing? I assume they would just need to replace the entire PCB.

It feels really lovely throwing away this much electronic waste after a year of use.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 1, 2015

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I bought the BenQ GW2765HT on sale. At first impression it is a very good value. I love the coating they used on the screen and think they did a good job with the stand.

That said, I have one blue pixel stuck to off: it's only noticeable thus far using a solid blue test pattern. I don't think that alone warrants a return, however I'm a bit traumatized: in the past I have had pixels go in clusters. Was this just lovely luck? I can live with a dim stuck pixel, but not an army of them.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 1, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

mcbexx posted:

The front looks fine though.

BenQ are releasing a similar monitor sans gsync: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/357667-benq-announced-their-35-curve-monitor-the-xr3501/

Glad it's running at 2560x1080 so I don't have to spend another several hundred dollars upgrading my video card.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

2560x1080 would look pretty gross at 35".

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Oh Lord almighty. The predator doesn't come out in the states until September.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

2560x1080 would look pretty gross at 35".

Ugh, wow. That's pretty much unusable as a desktop monitor.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I'm in need of a new monitor and as much as i would like the Acer predator I can't really justify the £700 it would cost. So that leave me with the Korean ips displays on ebay, i would really prefer a matte screen so is this one the one to go for? Or would one of the off-grade ones be fine or the perfect pixel ones be worth paying extra for?

Am i right in thinking that if it only has a dvi-d port there is a chance it will overclock?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

So my new 34UC97 looks a little... I dunno how to describe it... grainy? Think just don't quite look as good as they should. I'm using Display Port right now (from my GTX970). Any ideas?

E: Grainy probably isn't the right word. Things just don't look quite as sharp as they should.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Digital Jesus posted:

So my new 34UC97 looks a little... I dunno how to describe it... grainy? Think just don't quite look as good as they should. I'm using Display Port right now (from my GTX970). Any ideas?

E: Grainy probably isn't the right word. Things just don't look quite as sharp as they should.

Well it has a matte coating. Matte coatings make thinks a little blurry. That's why most phones with super highDPI have glossy screens - no blur. The blur is less noticiable the lower the DPI. The inverse is also true i.e. the higher DPI you go on a matte screen, the more prounounced the blur is.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 2, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So my 2 yr old Asus monitor may have died or not. It's not recognizing my PC and I've tried all inputs. Yes I've checked all connections and it's fine. I tried a HDTV and it works fine.

This is disappointing as it worked it was fine one month ago.

Edit: fixed. Gdt this is why I said to be careful while packing up my PC.

Alder fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 2, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I'm still running a pair of old rear end 24" TN sync masters at home, but one has started playing up and I cannot figure out why at all. The power light will come on as it should, but the screen just won't displaying anything at all, not even the signal not found screen. This happens even when switching between inputs. Then it will suddenly pop back to life out of no where and be fine for the rest of the day. Sometimes unplugging it and forcing a display detect in OSX kicks it into life but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. Any ideas about whats going on? Anything fixable or is it on its way out? I have had them for a good five or so years at this point, but the other one is perfectly fine and the one at my step dads house he's had for a year or two more than me is still going with no issues.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It looks like the XB270HU is back in stock at a few places, such as Newegg, Amazon fulfilled through 'IP Camera Store', and this Provantage place for cheaper. Which one of those is best from a possible RMA perspective? If I order from Newegg am I just going to get somebody else's return?

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Stux posted:

Any ideas about whats going on? Anything fixable or is it on its way out?

What model exactly? I had a Syncmaster 226BW go bad a few years ago where it wouldn't switch on (intermittently at first, gradually getting worse) or would take a long time for the screen to display.

I googled it, found that it was a common problem caused by Samsung using lovely capacitors on the power board and some dudes on a random forum specified exactly what replacement ones to order (quantity, brand and specs). A couple of YouTube tutorial videos and a crappy £10 soldering kit later I was taking the thing apart and doing babby's first hack job soldering repair.

The thing's about 8 years old now and in perfect working order.

Daviclond fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 2, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

Keep us updated on this. I haven't seen anyone else complain about it not looking right, but I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Digital Jesus posted:

Might be an anti-glare coating? This shows what some look like

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

HERAK posted:

I'm in need of a new monitor and as much as i would like the Acer predator I can't really justify the £700 it would cost. So that leave me with the Korean ips displays on ebay, i would really prefer a matte screen so is this one the one to go for? Or would one of the off-grade ones be fine or the perfect pixel ones be worth paying extra for?

Am i right in thinking that if it only has a dvi-d port there is a chance it will overclock?

As long as you get a QX2710 with the single DVI-D it should overclock, yes. Don't get the TRUE10 version because they don't. Also from what I saw the standard/pixel perfect ones were almost the exact same, you just had a warranty that included major panel defects. Problem with that is you have to ship it back to Korea ...good luck with that.

I'd recommend you just get the off grade if it's 219-229, that's what most goons here ended up getting (including me from Amazon). 99% of the defects I heard about are only visible on pure black screens and even then are hard to notice. Dead pixels on 1440p are pretty tiny. When I got mine it had a couple marks on a black background, but it was absolutely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zorilla posted:

Plus, 28" 4K screens are all TN, so you will be experiencing some pretty noticeable color shift from top to bottom, even when looking straight at it.

Huh? I thought the (60Hz/DP 1.2) Dell P2715Q is an IPS panel. Granted it's 27" vs 28", but it's not like the extra inch would be noticeable.

Speaking of Dell UHD panels, I'm thinking of getting either the UP2414Q or the P2415Q. I don't edit things in Adobe RGB very often (since my home monitor isn't capable of displaying it) but ether way I'd mostly be editing Rec. 709 content.

So, a few questions: is it really worth the extra ~$250 for UP2414Q? Is there some other reason (build quality, etc.) I should pick one over the other? Any other models/manufacturers I should be considering? Should I say "gently caress UHD" and just go for the U2515H instead?

e: I forgot to mention that I'd mainly be using this with OS X so application scaling shouldn't be an issue. Also, it'd be at home, so while I might do occasional real video/photo work on it, it'd probably be mostly just general use and very rarely some (scaled down I guess, I have a GTX 970) gaming.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 2, 2015