Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Death Bot posted:

The conclusions that he draws are that he doesn't regret the experience, but that really he enjoyed the travel through Europe more than he did being stressed about cards around people who were in the same place, and that while playing magic is fun even competitively, the Pro Tour really sucks and you would probably be better served skipping out on testing and PTs and just seeing a movie with your friends or whatever.

Which is a fine opinion to have but isn't an indictment of the Pro Tour in my opinion. It just means his interests don't align with the lifestyle of competitive play. Almost nothing of what he described is any different from what I had already imagined occurred the days leading up to and during the event itself. Pro magic at the highest level is an utter and complete grind, no poo poo lol.

edit: i also enjoyed the part where he lived the stereotype himself and left for the venue on day 1 unshowered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lifehack: if you're not interested in playing on the PT, don't go to the PT

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
PROS HATE HIM! dad discovers one weird trick to not have a lovely time at the PT

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Only a person whose life is devoid of any joy aside from Magic would be so derisive at the joy other people get from Magic.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
also is there any more cracker rear end aspiration than wanting to travel europe

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I like how that guy thinks he can tell how good people are at magic just by looking at them.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Only a person whose life is devoid of any joy aside from Magic would be so derisive at the joy other people get from Magic.

He did say he had turned his back on his past life of having sex with women

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
speaking of european tournaments that only bitch rear end children nerds care about, bazaar of moxen is next weekend!!!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Starving Autist posted:

I like how that guy thinks he can tell how good people are at magic just by looking at them.

That's a stretch, but if he had claimed he could tell how into Magic people are just by looking at them, that would've been another story.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah, this being right up at the top of the essay wasn't a good sign from the start.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This is about one step worse than even the dumb otaku poo poo of "I only enjoy 2-d women."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Starving Autist posted:

Wait, you can't? That's like basic stuff. Spells cost mana, untap upkeep draw, sensing power levels, green cards have different effects than black cards.

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead
As I read that post, all I could think of was "Diary of a Caw-Blade Player."

Then I realized he was serious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Death Bot posted:

The conclusions that he draws are that he doesn't regret the experience, but that really he enjoyed the travel through Europe more than he did being stressed about cards around people who were in the same place, and that while playing magic is fun even competitively, the Pro Tour really sucks and you would probably be better served skipping out on testing and PTs and just seeing a movie with your friends or whatever.
:agreed: Only reason my friends and I even tried for PT Honolulu was to get a sweet surf trip. lol if you actually went and didn't surf.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Only reason my friends and I even tried for PT Honolulu was to get a sweet surf trip. lol if you actually went and didn't surf.

Want to know why some pros looks so happy after they tweet "0-3 drop"? Bc their feed is always crammed with stuff they are doing with their friends/partner the rest of the weekend.

Well adjusted ppl :rolleyes:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh lol I gave up on that stupid article so soon that I didn't realize he got in the classic "yeah, well I have sex :smug:" nerd jab. haha what a loving piece of garbage

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's my buddy's ahh, 'tournament report' you could call it, from the pro tour. It's different and I think it says a lot about our community:

http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/117807127391/the-pt-sucks

e: turns out Speck cheated in for funsies drafts too. Another friend of mine got t1'ed against him back at GP Vancouver...

I made it to this part and I felt like it made reading the whole thing worthwhile:

quote:

“I feel like, in order to care about the price of a Magic card, you have to be poor,” said Jason. “Like, I have this set of Tarmogoyfs just sitting on my apartment floor — nobody’s used them in the last six months — and I don’t check the price, ever. Who cares? Is Modern Masters 2 coming out soon? I don’t know what any of the new cards do. Yet life goes on.”

:3:

Although I think I'm dying from overdosing on sodium from reading this please send help.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 1, 2015

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
As regards to the part of the blog where he talks about not sleeping with any women anymore, IIRC, the author is actually gay. Or am I misremembering?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

On the flatscreen we saw Patrick Chapin, talking to a judge. Hundreds of people were clustered around the flatscreen while the events transpired in a higher resolution fifty yards away. I watched the argument for a couple minutes and was happy. I really didn’t give a drat. So I yelled: “Come on, Patrick, you’ve beaten tougher charges!” and no one turned around, no one laughed. It was in this moment that I understood why Rob had said, after his first PT, “I don’t want to be anything like those people.” I left the hall.

:eyepop:

"Nobody laughed at my inappropriate/uncomforting joke made in bad taste so I don't want to be like them."

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Lol if you don't split the last round of every FNM so you get more time to chill with your magical card buddies. I give out the promos to 3-0's and 2-0-1's and the players who want to play it out so they can win an extra pack and deny their opponent a promo are literal monsters imo.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

BXCX posted:

Lol if you don't split the last round of every FNM so you get more time to chill with your magical card buddies. I give out the promos to 3-0's and 2-0-1's and the players who want to play it out so they can win an extra pack and deny their opponent a promo are literal monsters imo.

Some people enjoy playing the game and the experience is worth more to them than some dumb promo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starving Autist posted:

Some people enjoy playing the game and the experience is worth more to them than some dumb promo.
So agree to a split and then play it out for funsies, duh. Unless you mean the experience of being a gunt and preventing your opponent from getting a draft set.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Starving Autist posted:

Almost everyone still plays it out for shits n' gigs, but when presented with "you can split for a promo and 3 packs or play it out for 4 packs+promo for the winner and 2 packs for the loser" I'd argue that the person who chooses the latter is the wrong kind of person. Coincidentally, the top players at our much more competitive standard FNM almost always split since that event pays out in store credit based on standings and the gulf between being 4-0 and 3-1 can be pretty wide depending on how many people showed up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

:eyepop:

"Nobody laughed at my inappropriate/uncomforting joke made in bad taste so I don't want to be like them."

Yeah if this guy actually knew anything he'd know that Chapin didn't actually beat the charges.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

CountFosco posted:

As regards to the part of the blog where he talks about not sleeping with any women anymore, IIRC, the author is actually gay. Or am I misremembering?

I'm pretty sure I've read some of CML's other stuff where he said he is.

e - that was old info, never mind

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 1, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wonder if LSV is gonna do one of his set reviews for Tempest Remastered. I never did the whole block, only triple Tempest, and there aren't a ton of resources available for a block that old (particularly given like 2/3 of the cards aren't even there anymore!)

I mean, the set's only available for three weeks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BXCX posted:

Almost everyone still plays it out for shits n' gigs, but when presented with "you can split for a promo and 3 packs or play it out for 4 packs+promo for the winner and 2 packs for the loser" I'd argue that the person who chooses the latter is the wrong kind of person. Coincidentally, the top players at our much more competitive standard FNM almost always split since that event pays out in store credit based on standings and the gulf between being 4-0 and 3-1 can be pretty wide depending on how many people showed up.

Alternatively, crushing the person that didn't want to split 2-0 rules

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't understand people who always want to split everything when it's just FNM or something. If it's a GPT and you're IDing into the top 8 or something, sure, but when it's just FNM and it's a difference of a couple packs, don't get all salty at me for actually wanting to play the game I came to play.

I swear some people don't actually like playing magic, they just treat the whole thing as some kind of EV grind.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

I don't understand people who always want to split everything when it's just FNM or something. If it's a GPT and you're IDing into the top 8 or something, sure, but when it's just FNM and it's a difference of a couple packs, don't get all salty at me for actually wanting to play the game I came to play.

I swear some people don't actually like playing magic, they just treat the whole thing as some kind of EV grind.

i like splitting at my FNM because 1) we can still play for the promo 2) it promises me more store credit than i paid to get in, therefore enabling me to "go infinite" 3) sometimes i like to have dinner with my wife on fridays, despite her being very understanding of my desire to play wizard poker

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah if this guy actually knew anything he'd know that Chapin didn't actually beat the charges.

Actually the witness for the real charges OD'ed, which is why he was only away for a few years.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Actually the witness for the real charges OD'ed, which is why he was only away for a few years.

Yeah, it sounds pretty sinister if you phrase it as "the key witness died under mysterious circumstances right before trial."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 1, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
One more reason that article sucks: we're back to arguing about pchapins shady past.

I really hope nobody paid that guy for his Basalt Monolith

Plus I mean the whole Salty Story About The PT article was already done by some canadian guy who is infinitely better at actually writing years ago

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 1, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

Let me flip this around on you: why does that 1-2 packs matter so loving bad to you? You can still play, no one's saying not to actually play the game while you're waiting for the round to end, but not splitting packs is a douchebag thing to do unless the records/tiebreakers are weird. And if the FNM card means that much to you I guarantee you that half the time if you just ask your opponent they'll give it to you because FNM foils are very rarely anything to get excited over.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
why is it a douchebag thing to do lol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

I like hanging out with friends with magic as the backdrop.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

One more reason that article sucks: we're back to arguing about pchapins shady past.

I really hope nobody paid that guy for his Basalt Monolith

Plus I mean the whole Salty Story About The PT article was already done by some canadian guy who is infinitely better at actually writing years ago

I don't know why he considers it a revelation that Wizards is cheap as gently caress since us random non-PT playing plebs already knew the only people making a ton of money off of Magic cards are Hasbro.

Whether he's being disingenuous about his hate for MTGO or not, I don't blame Brian Kibler at all for looking for other ways to parlay his notoriety into other ways to make some money.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think anybody is in the wrong because we all play the game for different things.

I know I play way more casually if we play "for fun" games after a split and while FNM isn't a GP there's something to be said for having fun playing with the knowledge your opponent is actually playing with some effort involved.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know why he considers it a revelation that Wizards is cheap as gently caress since us random non-PT playing plebs already knew the only people making a ton of money off of Magic cards are Hasbro.

Whether he's being disingenuous about his hate for MTGO or not, I don't blame Brian Kibler at all for looking for other ways to parlay his notoriety into other ways to make some money.

I mean the guy is a non-name no talent serial commenter on real (and SCG Grinder) articles who thinks adopting 'CML' is a thing that's going to make him relevant. (I mean to be fair it would be better than LOVE CHRIS as a sign off).

Really we should stop talking about him because all he wants is attention let's be honest.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 1, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
only lame-o nerdlords split :c00l: *hops on harley and speeds off leaving lgs full of exhaust smoke*

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Some days I really want the packs, I did this a lot in Khans and FTR because of Fetches, and I make sure to set up a split in the last round so that I can guarantee myself as many packs as possible.

But honestly, I like playing to beat people, to outplay people, and to win. I'm not going out of my way to show up on a friday to not try and beat someone. If I lose, thats fine.

What? I lose out on like 8 dollars of worth of packs....who cares. I am playing for the W.

Hanging out with people in a friendly environment is a plus, but I want to win dammit.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The only thing that's really worth more discussion is that its a little sad that winning a PT pays $40K. That's not considering the kind of travel/grinding you have to do to even get into the events, the fact that the game is loving luck based and that winning is rare enough that if you win more than one PT you're basically a Hall of Fame candidate.

I honestly don't really know how PT grinders even manage to stay afloat financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The only thing that's really worth more discussion is that its a little sad that winning a PT pays $40K. That's not considering the kind of travel/grinding you have to do to even get into the events, the fact that the game is loving luck based and that winning is rare enough that if you win more than one PT you're basically a Hall of Fame candidate.

I honestly don't really know how PT grinders even manage to stay afloat financially.

Poker...

A lot of the PT players are gambling addicts and are loving GOOD at it. Hell EFRO has a few bracelets doesn't he?

• Locked thread