Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TGLT posted:

Given how the police have tried to manipulate testimony and perceptions in their favor I have to wonder if this is going to actually lead to changes for the Baltimore police department as a whole, or if they're just going to write them off as bad apples and roll on. I mean, their cover story has collapsed so fast and so publicly that they really can't dodge at least the charges, but I'm still not sure if anything actually changes because of it. It's not the first time they killed a guy like this.

Here's an NPR article with some details about the charges and why they went with them.

That guy has a tear drop tattoo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I know nothing about legal matters but I assume that the litany of charges increases the odds that they all get found guilty of something. Like the driver was charged with second degree murder but he was also charged with like half a dozen other crimes so even if he somehow gets off on the murder he can get nailed on the other stuff.

They're talking about this case where the state presented a case for murder, but only charged the cop with involuntary manslaughter, and so he got off scot-free because technically it wasn't involuntary.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 1, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Charges filed means no grand jury and straight to a real trial right?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Charges filed means no grand jury and straight to a real trial right?

Yes, the state attorney and a judge found it reasonable to charge the officers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like this prosecutor is sincere which is a great thing.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

moller posted:

Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

Biblical literalists wear blended fabrics and sneer at the poor. Small Government proponents love the Pentagon.

sombody doesnt know the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament, what a shock! I bet you can tell me which issue of Naruto: Shippuden aired on March 15, 2007 though, right?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Radish posted:

Sounds like this prosecutor is sincere which is a great thing.

Some of her campaign promises, or arguably her focal point, was about cases like this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Lets hope this doesn't turn out to be like The Trayvon Martin trial.

Well I can see them trying to get it done in another city or state like Martins'.
And the jurors selection will be horrendously over analyzed..

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

BREAKING: Police union: 6 officers aren't responsible for Freddie Gray's death, were diligent in case.

How dare you charge these heroes?

I got the police union as the most dangerous gang in the US, narrowly edging out MS-13

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Arkane posted:

I got the police union as the most dangerous gang in the US, narrowly edging out MS-13

Uh oh the prosecutor better get some protection.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

@AdamSerwer:
Some perspective on how big a deal this is: Cleveland has not finished its investigation in to the November 2014 shooting of Tamir Rice

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

“And they’re trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to himself,” Allen said. “Why the gently caress would he do that to himself ?”

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Tamir_Rice

"Rice's mother said that the toy gun had been given to him to play with by a friend minutes before the police arrived, that police tackled and put her 14-year-old daughter in handcuffs after the incident, and that police threatened her with arrest if she did not calm down after being told about her son's shooting.[23]"

Lol, what a loving clown circus.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Arkane posted:

Holy poo poo; I thought that quote was a joke.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-union-officers-responsible-freddie-grays-death-diligent-30730750

Edit: Better source at 11:10 am mark: http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Latest-on-police-custody-death-All-6-officers-6235918.php

quote:

Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 President Gene Ryan made the comment Friday in a letter to Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby before she announced the charges. It was the union's strongest statement to date in the officers' defense.

"As tragic as this situation is, none of the officers involved are responsible for the death of Mr. Gray," Ryan wrote. "To the contrary, at all times, each of the officers diligently balanced their obligations to protect Mr. Gray and discharge their duties to protect the public."

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 1, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would've really liked to have seen a kidnapping charge here in lieu of - or in addition to - false imprisonment. Would've been a big "gently caress you."

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

quote:

"As tragic as this situation is, none of the officers involved are responsible for the death of Mr. Gray," Ryan wrote. "To the contrary, at all times, each of the officers diligently balanced their obligations to protect Mr. Gray and discharge their duties to protect the public."

I mean I know unions need to go to bat for their own but holy poo poo they straight up had a guy die in custody on an arrest that seems to pretty clearly be illegal, even if he somehow did it to himself or whatever, he died due to circumstances stemming from a bullshit arrest

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I mean I know unions need to go to bat for their own but holy poo poo they straight up had a guy die in custody on an arrest that seems to pretty clearly be illegal, even if he somehow did it to himself or whatever, he died due to circumstances stemming from a bullshit arrest

God willed it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The fact that they didn't call him a demonic thug elemental that killed itself out of pure spite for the angelic goodness of our men in blue indicates to me that the union is actually being kind of harsh on these cops.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Man I'm glad they're going to trial, I was worried we'd get a bunch of non-indictments.

Is anyone going to get in trouble for stopping the kids from going home after school? That seems pretty loving serious right there.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-tb-zUSUS8

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

For now, can we get some good old fashioned tears over the cops being charged? Daddy needs his medicine.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

The police union is the only one I can think of that actually tries to protect its members in the way anti labor caricatures would have you believe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Fox cop analyst basically argued that cops always ignore suspects when they say they're hurt because they're usually lying, so you know, why's this one such a big deal?

It really seems like cop culture has this twisted childish mindset that they always arrest people unjustly, break safety rules to make their ride more uncomfortable, and ignore their cries for help and they never get in trouble so it's wrong for them to be held accountable now.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
State Law Enforcement Division got yet another officer charged and fired. South Carolina leading the nation on police accountability, ladies and gents.

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...ested-and-fired

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Glad they're getting charged, but if there are no convictions Baltimore is going to burn the gently caress down.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

STAC Goat posted:

The Fox cop analyst basically argued that cops always ignore suspects when they say they're hurt because they're usually lying, so you know, why's this one such a big deal?

It really seems like cop culture has this twisted childish mindset that they always arrest people unjustly, break safety rules to make their ride more uncomfortable, and ignore their cries for help and they never get in trouble so it's wrong for them to be held accountable now.

It's affluenza, their rich parents didn't teach them right from wrong so now they can't be held accountable for their actions.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

“And they’re trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to himself,” Allen said. “Why the gently caress would he do that to himself ?”

Please link where this came from.

I'm pretty loving interested in this particular sleazy little corner of the story. Now that the police have released what they have to the State, I'm curious how the leaked third hand "witness thinks he was bashing himself against the car" story actually reads in the report, or whether it even exists at all.

I was envisioning something on the order of:

"Heard him bumping against the walls of the van"

"Would you say it was possible that he was doing it to himself?"

"Well I guess anything's possible, but.."

"Thanks that's plenty!"

*Leaks report to WaPo that anonymous witness felt Gray might have been trying to harm himself, WaPo eagerly publishes, triumphantly trumpeted on right wing Facebook pages and shows nationwide*

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mosby is relatively new in the job as a state's attorney, elected last year. At her inauguration:

quote:

Invoking Martin Luther King Jr.’s aphorism that “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere,” and while imploring all to “look at Ferguson, New York, and Cleveland,” where unarmed African-American men were killed by police acting with impunity, Mosby said, “every part of the government, especially the criminal-justice system, needs to be on the same page.” People “cannot and should not be led to believe,” she proclaimed, “that justice is accessible to some and not to all.” Noting that “the trust between our community and law enforcement is diminishing,” she declared that “the time to repair that trust, to come together . . . is now.”

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Retail Slave posted:

Glad they're getting charged, but if there are no convictions Baltimore is going to burn the gently caress down.

Not just Baltimore. These situations are going to keep boiling over in places where rampant illegality with no repercussions is allowed. I still have trouble believing that South Carolina seems to be doing the best job of actually going after bad cops.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zwabu posted:

Please link where this came from.

I'm pretty loving interested in this particular sleazy little corner of the story. Now that the police have released what they have to the State, I'm curious how the leaked third hand "witness thinks he was bashing himself against the car" story actually reads in the report, or whether it even exists at all.

I was envisioning something on the order of:

"Heard him bumping against the walls of the van"

"Would you say it was possible that he was doing it to himself?"

"Well I guess anything's possible, but.."

"Thanks that's plenty!"

*Leaks report to WaPo that anonymous witness felt Gray might have been trying to harm himself, WaPo eagerly publishes, triumphantly trumpeted on right wing Facebook pages and shows nationwide*

Got a source here.

quote:

Investigators have said Gray and the other prisoner were separated by a wall and never saw each other. But the testimony of the second prisoner has become crucial in piecing together the circumstances of Gray’s death. Baltimore city officials have maintained it is likely Gray sustained his injuries inside the van.

On Thursday, a leaked police document, reported by the Washington Post, stated that the second prisoner believed Gray “was intentionally trying to injure himself” by “banging against the walls”. But Allen, interviewed by CBS Baltimore, denied saying this.

In another interview with WBAL TV, Allan said that when he was placed in the van he didn’t hear anything and described the journey to the Western District police station as a smooth ride. “All I heard was a little banging for about four seconds,” Allen said.

Asked again if he had heard Gray banging his head against the van, Allen responded ambiguously: “I told homicide that. I don’t work for the police. I did not tell the police nothing.”

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Mosby is relatively new in the job as a state's attorney, elected last year. At her inauguration:

For the first time in my life I thought. " I really wanna hear Rush Limbaugh talk about this woman."

The gently caress is wrong with me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reversal of Fortune:

quote:

The Baltimore police officers union is asking State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby to appoint a special independent prosecutor for the Freddie Gray death investigation.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I wonder if any conversations are going on in the various police departments around the country to the effect of "hey dumbshits, cell phone cameras exist, they are a thing, they are not going away and we need to clean and tighten our poo poo up."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Your honor, the district attorney appears to be neglecting her duties as our best friend forever, can we get someone else in here?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Zwabu posted:

I wonder if any conversations are going on in the various police departments around the country to the effect of "hey dumbshits, cell phone cameras exist, they are a thing, they are not going away and we need to clean and tighten our poo poo up."

Attempts at making filming illegal would say the opposite.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
South Carolina State House is up with a bill prohibiting arrest of people filming police for any "harassment or interference" related arrests, so we got that going, too.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Zwabu posted:

One can hope, though it seems like the more common police reaction to cameras is to attempt to seize or destroy the camera, or force the person recording to delete the video under threat of arrest.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

South Carolina State House is up with a bill prohibiting arrest of people filming police for any "harassment or interference" related arrests, so we got that going, too.

SC is clowning pretty much the entire country right now and that is hosed up.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mosby is going to become a media superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

paranoid randroid posted:

SC is clowning pretty much the entire country right now and that is hosed up.

• Locked thread