Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think Lucina suffered the most from being a last minute addition since they really had no contingency plan for her or Dark Pit for that matter. Dr. Mario at least had the benefit of being in a previous game so they did have something to fall back on with him.

While Dark Pit could have used different weapons than regular Pit, I feel that was again the result of not having enough time to really differentiate the two characters since it seems like they wanted Pittoo to use a Staff as that's what we see him with when he uses his Final Smash. Alternatively, he could have used a Blade with his down B being the Palm rather than Obitars since that's one of the weapon he uses in Chapter 6 of Uprising.

Shadowlyger posted:

Why? I mean, isn't her entire character literally "Female Marth"?

I'm pretty certain it's more complicated than that but I'm no FE expert so I'll just let someone else go on a tangent about that.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Objectively speaking, the only three fire emblem characters who deserve to be in smash are Marth, Ike, and Anna, and well, they hosed up somewhere.

Lucina is cool and I'll not have this

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Sakurai is retarded.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dizz posted:

Sakurai is retarded.

Hey now. If you don't respect Sakurai get out of this thread immediately.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dizz posted:

Sakurai is retarded.

Actually, he is a genius.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I respect the mentally impaired.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

Sakurai is retarded.

That would explain our last couple of meetings...

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Hey now. If you don't respect Sakurai get out of this thread immediately.

I never said I did not respect him.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sakurai is a creatively passionate and intensely hard-working man and you should not talk poo poo about him behind his back. He is still hard at work creating additional content for the game, despite his dreams of eventual rest, and this is how you repay his efforts? With slurs and lies? gently caress to you.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Objectively speaking, the only three fire emblem characters who deserve to be in smash are Marth, Ike, and Anna, and well, they hosed up somewhere.

i love robin, and i'm going to marry her, but if i'm being honest, i have to agree with this

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Marth's latest games almost killed the Fire Emblem franchise because they sold so badly they didn't even bother bringing one of them overseas.

Lucina and Robin's game singlehandedly saved it by selling more copies than both of Ikes games and both of Marth's recent games.

makes u think.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Yooka-Laylee for Smash

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In what universe is Little Mac fun to play either as or against? Whose idea was he? Why did anyone think he would be a fun character at any level? He's boring to play as, he's tedious to play against, and I can only assume it's worse if you're a kid playing with your friends.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

FactsAreUseless posted:

In what universe is Little Mac fun to play either as or against? Whose idea was he? Why did anyone think he would be a fun character at any level? He's boring to play as, he's tedious to play against, and I can only assume it's worse if you're a kid playing with your friends.

I want to love the Mac but I kind of agree.

I'm also just bad with Mac (well, bad in general, sorta not so bad at Ness the best character of all time. ALL TIME)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I was so happy to learn Mac got in smash, only to be disappointed because they made him the worst character in all smash games.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dizz posted:

Yooka-Laylee for Smash

Agreed

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Little mac owns, you loving whiners

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's not even that Mac is particularly over or under-powered, it's that his design is such that you can only win with or against him in boring ways. He's not interesting. You either play him super safe with careful movement and super-armored smash attacks and win on the ground, or you use any unsafe options and lose. There will never be a Little Mac fight that is fun to play or watch. He's just a badly-made character.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Playing Little Mac is like playing Punch-Out. Therefore he is one of the best characters.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I like playing against Mac because he's so bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Are the uploaded stages curated in any way or are they just thrown up there? I checked them out for a couple minutes but as far as I could tell they were just sorted chronologically.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not even that Mac is particularly over or under-powered, it's that his design is such that you can only win with or against him in boring ways. He's not interesting. You either play him super safe with careful movement and super-armored smash attacks and win on the ground, or you use any unsafe options and lose. There will never be a Little Mac fight that is fun to play or watch. He's just a badly-made character.

The best way to play Mac is super aggressive with careful movement and super-armored smash attacks. He's fun as hell and with 50 characters it's cool that a couple have radically different styles than the rest.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Little Mac is a character that western fans wanted, so it's all of your faults. Leave it to the geniuses over in Japan to make good games and characters next time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Little Mac and Duck Hunt were outsourced to the Sora Los Angeles devteam.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Little Mac is cool and a good character but his gimmicky way of fighting doesn't always work. It is especially irritating on For Glory 1v1's since there is like one very specific way you have to fight as/against him. It's better when you are messing around with more players/items/more varied stages but then of course there are stages he is basically unplayable on which sucks.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

mabels big day posted:

Little Mac is a character that western fans wanted, so it's all of your faults. Leave it to the geniuses over in Japan to make good games and characters next time.
I really love that most of the Japanese response to the Little Mac announcement was "Oh, the Punch Out guy?" or "He's big overseas I guess" to "Who?"

so much little mac disrespect

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

net cafe scandal posted:

Little Mac and Duck Hunt were outsourced to the Sora Los Angeles devteam.

Duck Hunt team is extremely cool.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I just hate hot Little Mac is pretty much dead if he even gets tapped off the stage. It's like fighting metal characters except they sometimes survive.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I remember being hype as hell when I saw the Mac trailer because he looked like the perfect character for me. I was like "holy poo poo, it's PM bowser but he's fast, this is insanely cool," but then he was really awful and linear due to having like one viable option in any situation. They could have actually made him MORE fun to fight if they gave him a better grab since then Mac players would actually go for a non-armored option and then he'd have something resembling a useful mixup.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dizz posted:

I just hate hot Little Mac is pretty much dead if he even gets tapped off the stage. It's like fighting metal characters except they sometimes survive.

He's got decent horizontal recovery with his side B but yea if you go below the stage you're done.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

He's got decent horizontal recovery with his side B but yea if you go below the stage you're done.

yeah side B is fine, except if the enemy comes with you and hits you a little farther then you're hosed.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Little Mac is my favorite shulk matchup

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Why? I mean, isn't her entire character literally "Female Marth"?

Marth is a goody two-shoes "NO all of my friends are super important and I need them all, power of friendship!!"

Lucina is perfectly willing to stick her sword through Robin and threatens to do so, even if she's her mother. She's just less willing to do it if so.

Basically they should just remove Marth and give Lucina the tipper.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

Marth is a goody two-shoes "NO all of my friends are super important and I need them all, power of friendship!!"

Lucina is perfectly willing to stick her sword through Robin and threatens to do so, even if she's her mother. She's just less willing to do it if so.

Basically they should just remove Marth and give Lucina the tipper.
Basically Marth is a lame baby and Lucina is way cooler. Lucina should've called herself "Ike" in Awakening, take a name from a proper hero.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Quick question since I got two friends over during the weekend. Is it possible for 3 players local and have a 4th player join online?

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
no

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Mr. ConCon (Luigi) just reset the bracket against ZeRo (Diddy) in Grand Finals. Second set on now.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So who won?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
ZeRo switched to Sheik and completely monstered him.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh. That sounds anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moltrey posted:

Basically Marth is a lame baby and Lucina is way cooler. Lucina should've called herself "Ike" in Awakening, take a name from a proper hero.

Being brave and loyal is epic actually.

• Locked thread