Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I seriously did not expect these charges or whatever the hell South Carolina is doing right now. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Wow, State Attorney Mosby comes from a loooooooong line of police officers. Mother, father, grandfather, uncles, aunt, most of her friends too, are all police officers.

Her grandfather founded the Massachusetts union of black patrolmen.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Darth123123 posted:

Mosby is going to become a media superstar reviled in conservative circles as literally worse than hitler.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I can see Fox saying some thinly veiled accusations of racial bias.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Stealing this from another thread, thanks Paper With Lines.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

I wonder if any conversations are going on in the various police departments around the country to the effect of "hey dumbshits, cell phone cameras exist, they are a thing, they are not going away and we need to clean and tighten our poo poo up."

Yeah, and soon we will be hearing of the killings of some black man AND the phone camera bystanders taping them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

Wow, State Attorney Mosby comes from a loooooooong line of police officers. Mother, father, grandfather, uncles, aunt, most of her friends too, are all police officers.

Her grandfather founded the Massachusetts union of black patrolmen.

Yeah, but she hates the police and murica by doing this. /fox

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Please link where this came from.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/01/freddie-gray-protests-prisoner-police-van-donta-allen-baltimore

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't there still the problem that for the prosecutor to do her job in the future, she needs the support of the police, and she'd be endangering that by fighting this case as hard as she can?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Let's be realistic here and say that the prosecutors knew that this was going to very high profile case and that taking it would be worth the risk of winning.

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Isn't there still the problem that for the prosecutor to do her job in the future, she needs the support of the police, and she'd be endangering that by fighting this case as hard as she can?

She probably has more to worry about from the local baltimore dems party. Like making sure her city councilman husband and other local leaders don't look bad for publicly stating the officers would be "brought to justice" over and over, and then not having the officers charged at all. Both she and her husband have been called "rising political stars". Can't give that up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

Let's be realistic here and say that the prosecutors knew that this was going to very high profile case and that taking it would be worth the risk of winning.

I don't know about that.
If the van didn't stop twice more than the cops were admitting, there was wiggle room to let it go and leave it as one the pile of 'God only knows too vague to do anything'.
But as the cops were caught flat our lying, they had to go ahead and prosecute otherwise the PR would generate more violence and claims they were covering it up too.

Going to be fun now watching which cop breaks first for the shortest plea deal.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agrajag posted:

I can see Fox saying some thinly veiled accusations of racial bias.

I just ran to lunch and heard Rush say "Looting the American Justice System", so it's not that veiled. Also that she is accused of being 'too close' to Freddies family attorney's to be independent. idgi

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A local SC talk radio dude was going on about how she doesn't understand police officers or the harsh realities of policing the streets.

...dude. Her family tree literally wears a badge and a gun.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

happyhippy posted:

Six people pointing at each of the others being the instigator is going to get real ugly, reaaal fast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

They won't go all cop on us and present an unbreakable wall around each other, even people they know were wrong?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Vahakyla posted:

A local SC talk radio dude was going on about how she doesn't understand police officers or the harsh realities of policing the streets.

...dude. Her family tree literally wears a badge and a gun.

Lol, she probably understands more about policing than some random dumb radio talk show host.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Agrajag posted:

Lol, she probably understands more about policing than some random dumb radio talk show host.

Laffo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

They won't go all cop on us and present an unbreakable wall around each other, even people they know were wrong?

I watched that whole press conference and maybe it was me, but it seemed Mosby had some officers giving her information. So someone likely had to tell, and would they be called to testify? That's like a death sentence too.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Atlanta cops shoot a woman in the back of their own patrol car, after arresting her for car theft, claiming she somehow had a gun and may or may not have been handcuffed (!!!!).

Enjoy the article, which appears to have been written by an illiterate intern who was struggling with how best to incorporate the passive voice used when discussing cops killing people. Like the article literally begins with her arrest record, instead of, you know, asking how the gently caress a woman was arrested and put into a radio car with a loving gun in her possession.

Money quotes:

quote:

Officers surrounded the patrol car, its windows shattered, where gunfire was exchanged for the investigation into what happened.

NOT EVEN ENGLISH.

quote:

Schierbaum said he also couldn’t confirm whether the woman was searched and handcuffed prior to being put in the back of the patrol car. The patrol car’s front and back windshields had gaping holes from gunshots while officers investigated the shooting.

Nope, still not comprehensible. God drat.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Special prosecutors can be brought in from outside jurisdictions for cases where the prosecutor has a conflict of interest. On the other hand, prosecutors routinely prosecute cases of assault on a law enforcement officer even though their victim is a member of their local police force. Which is fine. Her office prosecuting these cases is her call, as far as I'm concerned.

Job Truniht posted:

Mosby referred specifically to the probable cause she had to file charges. She wisely didn't go any further than that in her press conference. Whether the officers are acquitted or convicted, she's off the hook. It's a jury or a jury who'll decide whether they did it. But she still gets credibility with the electorate for bringing the charges.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
For a nice change of pace from police murdering people, check out this video of an officer ordering his dog to eat the face off a man sitting on the couch with his hands in the air.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2460434-155/west-jordan-police-sued-for-excessive (2:12 for the impatient)

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Franks Happy Place posted:

Atlanta cops shoot a woman in the back of their own patrol car, after arresting her for car theft, claiming she somehow had a gun and may or may not have been handcuffed (!!!!).

Enjoy the article, which appears to have been written by an illiterate intern who was struggling with how best to incorporate the passive voice used when discussing cops killing people. Like the article literally begins with her arrest record, instead of, you know, asking how the gently caress a woman was arrested and put into a radio car with a loving gun in her possession.

Money quotes:

NOT EVEN ENGLISH.

Nope, still not comprehensible. God drat.

I saw this late last night and I still don't loving get it.

I assume something the cops don't want us to know went down, and they are feeding the media as much gibberish as possible.

Basically a "gunfight erupted" when a women already in the back of the cop car opened fire on the police, missing all of them completely even in that confined space, and then was promptly riddled like swiss cheese in the back seat.

Sure....officers, sure.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

They could.
But given the situation some of them 'look' more guilty than others if you think about it.
If all put up a wall of equality, the driver looks more guilty as he was the one driving. Who told him to stop in the places they didn't report they stopped at? Himself? Did he decide to ignore to goto the hospital and go back for the second one.
That could end up the driver getting more jail time than the others, and I don't think he's going to be happy with that.
Then theres the one who declared it was the switchblade, why did he deem it illegal, did the rest just follow his announcement etc.

The wall has cracks, and somehow I don't think one or more of them is going to be willing to do more time than the rest for a bro code.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

It will most likely depend on how good the evidence is. I suspect if any of them agree to a plea, it will be on the condition that they don't have to testify.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
John Boehner reaction:

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/boehner-reacts-to-homicide-charges-in-death-of-freddie-gray-437695043969

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Well goddamn loving poo poo, we might be riding a wave towards better national accountability.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DARPA posted:

For a nice change of pace from police murdering people, check out this video of an officer ordering his dog to eat the face off a man sitting on the couch with his hands in the air.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2460434-155/west-jordan-police-sued-for-excessive (2:12 for the impatient)

Holy gently caress, he could barely even get the dog off that guy's face. What the gently caress, he had his hands in the air and he was sitting on a couch, I guess the cop can't get his dick hard unless his dog bites off someone's face?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DARPA posted:

What in the holy gently caress. This is so loving messed up. Even after his face gets all ripped up the cops still pile onto him like he was some violent criminal and they also continue letting the dog maul him.

"not a good way to prove you are a man" - says cops after he lets the dog maul the gently caress out of his face for burning a tree in a loving barrel...

Look at those fat gently caress pigs grinning like a bunch of poo poo eating fat pig losers at the end. Like it's some big loving joke that their k-9 unit hosed that dude's face up.

Wow, they even tased him 3-4 times after he had his face mauled.

God drat I am so glad I don't live in America.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 1, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Having ancestry that consists almost exclusively of police officers should make it more likely that you'd want to charge lovely ones, not less.

Unless your whole family was dirty or something....hmmm

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I am not going to click that link but did the guy get charged with attacking an officer by trying to get the dog off his face? The fact that dogs are police officers when they are killed by regular people but then tools when cops leave them in their cars and they die of heatstroke is such ridiculous bullshit.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
Is it normal for police dogs to go straight for the loving face like that? Do they train their dogs to eat face first? Go for the groin if they can't get the face?

Even a white dude in Utah isn't safe anymore, what has this world come to?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lemming posted:

Holy gently caress, he could barely even get the dog off that guy's face. What the gently caress, he had his hands in the air and he was sitting on a couch, I guess the cop can't get his dick hard unless his dog bites off someone's face?

The most rage inducing thing, after the dog face mauling, is seeing the poo poo eating grins at the end and them justifying their violence to the victim.

"I should get hazard pay for this" - says grinning cop

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
It's honestly like some officers are not just sadistic pricks, but are actively betting each other who can cost their city the most money in civil suits. What could any person in that scenario, from the very first officers to draw their goddamned weapons on a guy burning a Christmas tree in a garbage can, have been thinking? At least they didn't kill this guy.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

That video is incredible. The dog is literally biting him right in the loving face.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Why did they even respond in that fashion to a person burning their tree in a barrel? What in the hell?

Guns drawn? really? K-9 unit for this? really? For a loving tree being burnt? What? Is burning your tree an arrestable offence now?

Martin is sitting on the couch and his hands were loving up.

quote:

John Roberts bgugin • 2 hours ago
The article also said that the guy went back inside his house and closed the door while being questioned by police. That's illegal.

Ultimately, he created the situation with his actions. The police escalated it WAYYYYYY too far, but to imply that the victim bears no blame is to ignore the facts. He broke the law with his fire, and then broke the law again when he walked away and ignored their efforts to question him.

Totally the victim's fault, God bless.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Goddammit can't we just be allowed to feel good about these indictments for five minutes.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Goddammit can't we just be allowed to feel good about these indictments for five minutes.

lol nope :911:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

quote:

Give_me_a_penny_for_my_thought DesertDancer • 17 hours ago

MISTAKE 6 (guy) even after getting his face chewed he is not compliant at all and appears to be resisting the officers...

Scotsman Hosie Give_me_a_penny_for_my_thought • 14 hours ago
1) I don't accept Hoogveldt's claim that he "was in shock the whole time - and afraid to stand up." This wasn't his first run in with the law.

2) The fact that he was laying so far back - in that overstuffed couch - and sitting in amongst piles of junk, making it hard to see what he might be hiding. It was his inability to stand up / failure to comply - that appeared dangerously uninviting, to the police.

Why am I even bothering to read the comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone that pulls the "well he did something illegal so he bears responsibility for what ended up happening" should have a swastika branded onto their forehead.

• Locked thread