Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xanderkish posted:

Was...was that last one always there? Did I miss it every other time it was shown?

What, the one with the dog? Yeah, as far as I know it's always been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bottom line is that if you had posted some CH cartoons on January 6th the thread would've been unanimous in calling them ugly, racist poo poo. But (according to some) if you said that at any point on or after January 7th that meant you supported retributive killing by fundamentalists and hated free speech.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JT Jag posted:

It was the evidence planning that did him in, if he was just caught on video shooting the guy in the back they would have circled the wagons.

poo poo, I have coworkers who still say the cop wouldn't have needed to shoot him if the kid hadn't done something to deserve it.
Granted, "my coworkers" isn't even close to the same as "Conservatives in actual positions of power"

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

What, the one with the dog? Yeah, as far as I know it's always been there.

Holy poo poo, this is like listening to a song you've heard hundreds of times and suddenly hearing an instrument you never noticed before. This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

the_steve posted:

poo poo, I have coworkers who still say the cop wouldn't have needed to shoot him if the kid hadn't done something to deserve it.
Granted, "my coworkers" isn't even close to the same as "Conservatives in actual positions of power"

So Just-World type thinking. I always wondered why people liked to think in those terms. I always figured it was just not wanting to realize the world was more hosed up than you wanted to think it was, but I dunno, maybe there's other reasons too.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 1, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That guy in the bottom left corner :psyduck:

Hmmm how can I visually depict nobody watching?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Where's that evil windmill face when you need it?

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Where's that evil windmill face when you need it?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I love the conservative trope of "alternative energy = bird genocide" so so so much

EDIT: The bald eagle!!! :vince:

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!
I love that Branco's only argument against renewable energy is STILL that some birds might die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tritanomalicious posted:

I love that Branco's only argument against renewable energy is STILL that some birds might die.

He just cares that much about the environment.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

Government in talk with the Australian Public Service about wages and stuff, also buys more joint strike fighters.

I'm goddamn tired of that monkey-man caricature.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

It's last name then full name, not first name then full name you loving clueless hack

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's last name then full name, not first name then full name you loving clueless hack

Yeah that's the chief problem here.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Not that he actually cares, but

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/08/25/3475348/bird-death-comparison-chart/

Also cats kill 1.4 - 3.6 billion birds every year http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n1/full/ncomms2380.html

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

loving incredible.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

seiferguy posted:

Agreed they didn't deserve to die. But I think we shouldn't avoid criticisms of their cartoons, and go all "They're dead! How dare you criticize a dead person's work?" either.

But those criticisms have already been addressed and explained several times by people familiar with the culture, so really I don't get what's going on here.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

colonel_korn posted:

Obama likes to keep a severed head by his drone-desk. When no one is looking he whispers to it.

quote:

Obama is Bad-rear end and so is renewable energy. A 007 cartoon.

quote:

I might just be squeamish but holy poo poo what the gently caress Bennet.

quote:

Never thought I'd see people pull a Palin on Hillary Clinton, but I guess I should never put it beyond a political cartoonist to creepily sexualize our female politicans,

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

WitchFetish posted:

But those criticisms have already been addressed and explained several times by people familiar with the culture, so really I don't get what's going on here.

The problem is that many times when someone criticizes the cartoons here instead of explaining to them how they're wrong people immediately claim that they're victim blaming.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Xanderkish posted:

I might just be squeamish but holy poo poo what the gently caress Bennet.

You're just squeamish

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yeah that's the chief problem here.

That has got to be one of the most recognisable references in the western world, it's absolutely unbelievable that he screwed it up. It's like getting a knock-knock joke backwards.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I will take the unpopular opinion that they deserved to die, and at night I have trouble sleeping knowing that there are employees of Charlie Hebdo still at large.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Did political cartoonists all see Attack of the 50 Foot Woman as kids and get a confusing boner that still haunts them later in life?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

colonel_korn posted:

Somebody got Obama a stuffed flaccid-cock-and-balls desk toy with little googly eyes on it as a gag gift at the White House Christmas party

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Saint Sputnik posted:

Did political cartoonists all see Attack of the 50 Foot Woman as kids and get a confusing boner that still haunts them later in life?

Did you not?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

Steven Universe will ensure this trend continues for another generation.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is such a tortured metaphor that is violates the Geneva conventions

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whats wrong with your head kid

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

"It's part of our ~cultural traditions~" isn't a good argument for or defense of anything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xanderkish posted:

Never thought I'd see people pull a Palin on Hillary Clinton, but I guess I should never put it beyond a political cartoonist to creepily sexualize our female politicans,

Look, just because you're into gigantism doesn't mean all of us are.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

He actually drew Bernie Sanders sitting on Hillary Clinton's right side in such a way that her presence completely obstructs him from being anywhere other than to the right of her. HOW DO YOU gently caress SOMETHING UP THIS BADLY

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

Bottom line is that if you had posted some CH cartoons on January 6th the thread would've been unanimous in calling them ugly, racist poo poo. But (according to some) if you said that at any point on or after January 7th that meant you supported retributive killing by fundamentalists and hated free speech.

Here's some recent covers from before January 6th. So very racist!

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Billy needs to stop believing the poo poo he hears on Huckabee.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Rorus Raz posted:

Steven Universe will ensure this trend continues for another generation.

All I want to do
Is turn Hilary into
a giant woman

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Those CH cartoons are very ugly and not in the cool grotesque way the British cartoons but in the "scribbled by a twelve year old" way.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Billy's brother went on to receive three quarters of a million dollars from a bunch of bigoted pieces of poo poo so it's all good.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

WitchFetish posted:

Stop me if I'm being way out of line, but maybe "it's not offensive to French people" is not some kind of universally satisfactory statement.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Maybe once you guys figure out the objective truth about Charlie Hebdo, we can finally settle whether Latuff is good or bad.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Kajeesus posted:

Stop me if I'm being way out of line, but maybe "it's not offensive to French people" is not some kind of universally satisfactory statement.

Probably also helps to ask exactly which French people we're talking about, since to say it's not offensive to French people might be like saying Mad Magazine isn't offensive to Americans. Some people (sixth graders, from my experience) like it, others think it's poo poo. So maybe some French people might like them, but what about others? And what about, say, black French people, whose members of their race are the one being caricatured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I like this one a lot

• Locked thread