Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

At least with all of them but Dark Yojimbo you could just summon Yojimbo and pay him to instakill them.

Couple pages late but while you can cheese all the bonus bosses with Yojimbo (build up an overdrive on either Yuna or Yojimbo, enter the fight with Yuna out the party and either Auron with his ultimate weapon or any character with a First Strike weapon so they go first, swap them for Yuna and pay Yojimbo around 55k gil to guarantee his instakill) except Dark Yojimbo, even the final one you unlock for killing the Dark Aeons, killing Dark Yojimbo takes a bit more prep as you need to kill it 6 times in a row without saving inbetween (inventory stuff and party swapping is fine though). There's a skill you can get on the sphere grid that lets you transfer an overdrive to another character, and you get enough items that let you warp characters on the sphere grid to any other character's place, so I unlocked that skill with Tidus, moved Auron, Rikku and Kimahri there to learn it, built up overdrives on all of them as well as Yuna and Yojimbo, and just gave Yuna a character's overdrive every fight after the second. Now you can skip endless Monster Arena grinding to, say, go back to the starter village, or go back and do the ice temple puzzle you skipped cause you were bored and tired without getting destroyed by bonus bosses you didn't give two shits about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I find really annoying about Bloodborne is how easy it is to miss some stuff and a lot of the time there isn't a way to get it on that playthrough. Mostly involving NPCs who will show up at certain places at certain times and if you miss them in some way it breaks their event chain and they just kind of disappear forever.

This is a common standard of all the Souls' games.

Thing is you just have to look at it from a different angle. You are not meant to do those things on your first run. Okay? NPC quests have always been something to shoot for in NG+ or in your second character playthrough in the Souls' games, something to extend their life and give you some more things to see you didn't on your first run, like how NG+ changes the game slightly to try to also drag it out and let you play through it again differently, or rolling a character with different stats. In BB stats barely matter so they don't even have that, so they gave you some quests to go for on your second run and they gave us chalice dungeons.

They disappear forever so you'll move on. Just keep playing the normal game and ignore them. Then next time you can be extra special careful to do things right, once you've already beaten the game and know how its gonna go down.

You are meant to run into those people, make decisions out of ignorance, and screw up. That then creates a drive to play through the game again and see what else could happen if you had done things differently.

None of the quests in Souls' games are very interesting or exciting, mind you, and bloodborne has the fewest NPCs and the worst "quests" of all the souls' games. Its extremely minor and you're going to feel very silly for getting upset about missing out on it when you go back and do them and see how minor it all is.

The only reason its really messing with you is because you're looking at them like quests in other RPGs, things you need to be doing, things that could get you some good gear you can't get otherwise, but in BB that's not really the case. They're just special little events.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:13 on May 1, 2015

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a common standard of all the Souls' games.

Thing is you just have to look at it from a different angle. You are not meant to do those things on your first run. Okay? NPC quests have always been something to shoot for in NG+ or in your second character playthrough in the Souls' games, something to extend their life and give you some more things to see you didn't on your first run, like how NG+ changes the game slightly to try to also drag it out and let you play through it again differently, or rolling a character with different stats. In BB stats barely matter so they don't even have that, so they gave you some quests to go for on your second run and they gave us chalice dungeons.

They disappear forever so you'll move on. Just keep playing the normal game and ignore them. Then next time you can be extra special careful to do things right, once you've already beaten the game and know how its gonna go down.

You are meant to run into those people, make decisions out of ignorance, and screw up. That then creates a drive to play through the game again and see what else could happen if you had done things differently.

None of the quests in Souls' games are very interesting or exciting, mind you, and bloodborne has the fewest NPCs and the worst "quests" of all the souls' games. Its extremely minor and you're going to feel very silly for getting upset about missing out on it when you go back and do them and see how minor it all is.

The only reason its really messing with you is because you're looking at them like quests in other RPGs, things you need to be doing, things that could get you some good gear you can't get otherwise, but in BB that's not really the case. They're just special little events.

This seems really annoying. If it's meant to be done in a NG+, the characters should only appear in a NG+. Bad game design imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nostradingus posted:

This seems really annoying. If it's meant to be done in a NG+, the characters should only appear in a NG+. Bad game design imo.

But you can do it in NG+ OR you can do it on a different character. This way you can do both.

Its not really that bad if you just accept it. Its just kinda obfuscated, but so is literally everything else in the souls games so you should really be used to using your brain to figure obscure poo poo out by now. (Or using the wiki :v:)

Anybody who worries about NPCs on their first run is giving themselves a hard time. Just do whatever comes naturally and then accept that you failed all the NPCs as part of the bleakness of the game's world and story. Its hard to do things all right in real life when you don't know what you're doing! Adds to the horror. Then later when you're replaying you can groundhog day that poo poo and get it all right. If they just put them in NG+ you wouldn't get that feeling of "oh god everything is falling apart" which is part of the game's tone.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Zaphod42 posted:

But you can do it in NG+ OR you can do it on a different character. This way you can do both.

Its not really that bad if you just accept it. Its just kinda obfuscated, but so is literally everything else in the souls games so you should really be used to using your brain to figure obscure poo poo out by now. (Or using the wiki :v:)

Anybody who worries about NPCs on their first run is giving themselves a hard time. Just do whatever comes naturally and then accept that you failed all the NPCs as part of the bleakness of the game's world and story. Its hard to do things all right in real life when you don't know what you're doing! Adds to the horror. Then later when you're replaying you can groundhog day that poo poo and get it all right. If they just put them in NG+ you wouldn't get that feeling of "oh god everything is falling apart" which is part of the game's tone.

Yeah, but if you don't know they're there at all, you won't go back to look for some guy you don't know exists.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inco posted:

Yeah, but if you don't know they're there at all, you won't go back to look for some guy you don't know exists.

You tend to run into them in your first run though, you just gently caress them up and then they die and go away. So you're aware that things exist you should look out for.

Eh, to each his own. I like having some mystery and secrets to discover. But I definitely understand the frustration.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Or you can just kill the NPC's to get their rewards, usually the outfits they wear, which worked for me in Souls 1 and 2. :v:

I actually did the questlines eventually though, but killing them is far more funny.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Or you can just kill the NPC's to get their rewards, usually the outfits they wear, which worked for me in Souls 1 and 2. :v:

I actually did the questlines eventually though, but killing them is far more funny.

Never kill Solaire. :colbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why do people say that FFX has unskippable cutscenes?
I remember pressing start and then triangle and it would skip.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Inzombiac posted:

Why do people say that FFX has unskippable cutscenes?
I remember pressing start and then triangle and it would skip.

You remember wrong. No version of FFX has skippable cutscenes. FFX-2 does though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Blew my mind when I learned why his voice sounded so familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Praise the Sun? Not on my watch! :colbert:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Celery Face posted:

I've played through Dark Souls multiple times, and watched Cyber City (in English) so many times I lost count, but I never put this together.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Celery Face posted:

So what's the deal? Is this a Silent Hill situation where people keep getting voice acting roles because they're native English speakers who live in Japan or what.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I don't know if it's the last level, but Eternity in Outland is frustrating and unfun to play. Enemies that shift polarity and suddenly become invulnerable and platforming that often makes you redo large sections if you gently caress up one of the many swirling maelstroms of tiny orbs are killing any enthusiasm I have for playing this game.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Lord Lambeth posted:

When I played Dark Souls, I literally played it with a checklist of stuff I needed to do in order to save Solaire, but then as I stood on his summon sign for the O&S fight the sign disappeared from underneath me and not only would he never leave the sunlight altar, but the only other summon sign that ever appeared for the rest of the game was one for another player outside O&S. Not players or NPCs anywhere else for the rest of the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If they added skipping cutscenes to the PS4 version of the HD FFX, I'd probably buy the remaster again.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

It really annoys me that the original Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F for the Vita doesn't let you use your sticks for the scratch notes like its sequel does.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Timesplitters 2 is a really good game, except for the fact that the aiming is complete poo poo. Thankfully, Future Perfect fixes that, but FP doesn't have the same arcadey feel to its level design.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Colonel posted:

Timesplitters 2 is a really good game, except for the fact that the aiming is complete poo poo. Thankfully, Future Perfect fixes that, but FP doesn't have the same arcadey feel to its level design.

Yeah all of the TS games were solid gold but none were quuuiiiiite perfect.

Didn't stop me spending forever with all of them. The thing dragging 2 and FP down were when they didn't include brilliant levels from the previous game(s).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The biggest thing dragging down the Timesplitters series is Crytek sitting on the franchise and refusing to re-release the games in HD, even as the company slowly goes down in flames.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mr E posted:

If they added skipping cutscenes to the PS4 version of the HD FFX, I'd probably buy the remaster again.

There's going to be a PS4 version? Jesus.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lizard Wizard posted:

In a little less than 2 weeks.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Judge Tesla posted:

The biggest thing dragging down the Timesplitters series is Crytek sitting on the franchise and refusing to re-release the games in HD, even as the company slowly goes down in flames.

Crytek don't make games, they make tech-demos.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He's definitely a big wasted opportunity. You could definitely leave him out and no one would notice.

Khimari's most important role was being the character model for Phantom Lancer in DotA. :v:

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Lizard Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDocsZkWK0&t=142 :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi96ucB7ZdI

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I'm replaying MK 9 before I check out the new one and holy poo poo did I forget how much of a chore Shao Khan was. Why the gently caress would you put in a boss where the only reliable way of beating him is to cheese him with uppercuts and even then he'll sometimes decide " Nah., gently caress you" and destroy you with one combo. MK 9 in general has a really weird difficulty issue. The challenge tower will throw a few super easy challenge then hit you with a fight that's nigh impossible, like a hyper speedy Mileena who can teleport about 50 times a second.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a fighting game novice to begin with so my perspective is way different, but when I was playing through the story mode I would start getting the hang of it for about 2-3 fights, then suddenly a fight would come up that I'd have to try at least six times. Usually the bullshit 1v2 fights in particular. And this was after turning the difficulty down because I couldn't even get past the opening fight against Reptile on Normal.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I'm replaying MK 9 before I check out the new one and holy poo poo did I forget how much of a chore Shao Khan was. Why the gently caress would you put in a boss where the only reliable way of beating him is to cheese him with uppercuts and even then he'll sometimes decide " Nah., gently caress you" and destroy you with one combo. MK 9 in general has a really weird difficulty issue. The challenge tower will throw a few super easy challenge then hit you with a fight that's nigh impossible, like a hyper speedy Mileena who can teleport about 50 times a second.

Shao Kahn has super armor(no flinching) like 90% of the time and that's why he'll ignore your uppercuts sometimes. It's also why he's programmed to randomly stop and laugh at you, he'll have no super armor during it so if you hit him he'll flinch like normal. You can also catch him on the tail end of some of his attacks to set up combos. He's a pretty standard "tough fighting game boss mans", and you're supposed to win by waiting for him to expose himself.

Speaking of super armor, I don't know if they fixed it but Fighting Pose K in Xenoverse is pretty bullshit. You can't flinch, and unlike most super armor in most games it also makes you immune to grabs, and although it's got a bit of an animation to activate it it's shorter than recovering from a grab. So they throw you, pop it, and just keep reusing it when it starts to run out.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

John Murdoch posted:

I'm a fighting game novice to begin with so my perspective is way different, but when I was playing through the story mode I would start getting the hang of it for about 2-3 fights, then suddenly a fight would come up that I'd have to try at least six times. Usually the bullshit 1v2 fights in particular. And this was after turning the difficulty down because I couldn't even get past the opening fight against Reptile on Normal.

That two on one fight where you're Reptile vs Jax and Sonya can gently caress off. Jax is easy enough if you can keep him from grabbing you and kicking your rear end, but Sonya has two different 5 hit combos that shred you in seconds and she can actually get you with one and then IMMEDIATELY nail you with the other.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

MK 9 in general has a really weird difficulty issue.

I'm pretty sure MK9 makes the game progressively harder as you win until you finally lose, causing the difficulty to reset. While playing the story mode I noticed that happening a lot, fights getting harder and harder until what should have been a normal fight ends with my guy helplessly getting whaled on by an enemy barely even being damaged by my attacks, until I die and suddenly the same fight in round 2 is easy as poo poo.

At first I thought I might have been imagining things but then I played Injustice, by the same studio, and noticed the same thing.

It's a cool idea in theory but I feel like it shouldn't be that dramatic.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Tower of Hanoi-style puzzles, the ones where you have to move X to Y but you only have a certain number of placements or ways to stack the whatevers or a time limit or some other kind of banal bullshit. Come to think of it, any immersive game with some sort of out-of-game math or logic puzzle dump-in makes me grumpy. It's filler, and crappy filler at that.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

queserasera posted:

Tower of Hanoi-style puzzles, the ones where you have to move X to Y but you only have a certain number of placements or ways to stack the whatevers or a time limit or some other kind of banal bullshit. Come to think of it, any immersive game with some sort of out-of-game math or logic puzzle dump-in makes me grumpy. It's filler, and crappy filler at that.

I'm good with those puzzles but I, for the life of me, can never solve sliding tile puzzles, anytime one pops up in a game I immediately realize I'm about to hit a brick wall.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

queserasera posted:

IIRC it's such lazy filler that back in the day of lot of the time a developer would literally just go down to the library and copy a puzzle from a puzzle book rather than go to the trouble of making their own.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

stop making fun of the professor layton series

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
please don't sully literally every bioware game

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gestalt Intellect posted:

stop making fun of the professor layton series

OK, but first I have 8 matchsticks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm pretty sure MK9 makes the game progressively harder as you win until you finally lose, causing the difficulty to reset. While playing the story mode I noticed that happening a lot, fights getting harder and harder until what should have been a normal fight ends with my guy helplessly getting whaled on by an enemy barely even being damaged by my attacks, until I die and suddenly the same fight in round 2 is easy as poo poo.

At first I thought I might have been imagining things but then I played Injustice, by the same studio, and noticed the same thing.

It's a cool idea in theory but I feel like it shouldn't be that dramatic.

Yeah, all 3 modern Netherrealm games do that.

There are specific some story bosses where the scaling won't change though.