Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

vibur posted:

:science: *crumples up piece of paper and throws it in trash* Do you expect that to still be in the trash can next week?

gently caress it, just sweep everything on their desk into a garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

vibur posted:

:science: *crumples up piece of paper and throws it in trash* Do you expect that to still be in the trash can next week?

They know how a janitor works, not a computer, what do you expect?

Odd as it sounds, though, I do have some measure of empathy for those users*, to a point (especially after dealing with shared virtual development environments and the "it may not be here tomorrow" nature of them).

*it goes without saying that the following applies only to the ignorant users, not the willfully stupid ones who ignore you when you try to inform them.

One, we typically spend days convincing users that "just because it looks like X doesn't mean it acts like X" for just about everything else, especially when it gets into nebulous "in the cloud" (ie, non-local) documents and such. If they don't know that the Recycle Bin is the exception to that rule, then it's hardly surprising when they don't treat it like one.

Two, iirc Windows previously didn't (and may or may not now) count Recycle Bin items towards the "total used hard drive space" as displayed. You would set a "maximum amount of space recycled items are allowed to take up" value, anything larger than that recycled would prompt about perma-deletion, and everything else would get deleted forever from oldest-newest as you added new items over the maximum. All it takes is one user with enough knowledge to be painful spreading around the "if you put something in the recycle bin it doesn't take up hard drive space" pseudo-knowledge to make life suck for everyone who believes them. Which ties into...

Three, I've actually had users that put stuff into Recycle Bin/Deleted Items because they were trying to be helpful, but made the critical mis-assumption that they would be notified beforehand, so they still had a safety net of "oh, trash day's coming up, better make sure I don't actually need any of that stuff". Yes, it was still pretty stupid of them, but if people know there's a safety net there, for some reason they think of it as less of a "safety net" and more of a "well I can use that as a shortcut". Which ends up being painful if they're relying on a safety net that doesn't actually exist.

I guess the upshot is the only way to really fix this across the board is to disable the Recycle Bin/Deleted Items folders and make any deletion be permanent. And then make sure you keep good backups. :v:

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
This is from a bit back.

Swink posted:

In one partners office I found a box of tax returns from 1970-1980. Said partner had me move them to the new office. I've moved them 5-6 times since I've worked here.

As former IT support for accountants this is a huge red flag. Financials should be held for 7 years, as required by law then gone. If you're holding that much materials and get sued you've got to produce it all. Your law office should have a document retention policy. I'm not sure the industry specifics but keep things for the legally mandated time then pitch it!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

guppy posted:

I keep having people request that I call them back urgently, and when I do, they fail to answer because their phones were on silent. I have no idea how these people function.

Internal users do this to me too, if I can't get someone to pick up after a couple tries and I know someone is at the phone, I use the intercom and start talking to them through the speakerphone. If it interrupts them or freaks them out, idgaf. :dealwithit:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Spazz posted:

I hear the finger lakes in NYS are nice this time of year.

They are, especially if you like white wine. There are a lot of wineries with tasting rooms so if you have a sober driver it's a good time. When I was there a while ago, they had started charging for tastings because there were too many tours that were just driving people from winery to winery on a bus and letting them get wasted 2oz a time. There are good restaurants too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Belial42 posted:

As former IT support for accountants this is a huge red flag. Financials should be held for 7 years, as required by law then gone.

I tell people that with email. Imagine that all your email is being read by a lawyer that HATES you. Is there anything in there that's innocent but could be intentionally misconstrued?

Let's say you have a friend of the opposite sex, the two of you go way back and have a lot of inside jokes. You call her a sexist name, she comments back. Or maybe it's a coworker of a different race, or they're gay or Catholic or whatever.

Your coworker gets a different job one day and they end up moving out of state, or out of country. Maybe you don't keep in touch, maybe they live in the boonies.

Years later a different employee alleges that you've created an unsafe work climate. It's completely BS, they're lying about everything. What will that mean lawyer do with your old emails? He's going to read them out loud and it won't sound like a joke when he reads them.

Or maybe it's a different scenario. Maybe you're consulting with a colleague about how to get certain statistical models to work. Your colleague suggests a "trick" that'll help you out.

Hackers break into your email system and release that email as proof that you're using "tricks" to falsify data.

Every email is a liability, even if you don't realize it yet, even if you haven't done anything wrong.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

SubjectVerbObject posted:

They are, especially if you like white wine. There are a lot of wineries with tasting rooms so if you have a sober driver it's a good time. When I was there a while ago, they had started charging for tastings because there were too many tours that were just driving people from winery to winery on a bus and letting them get wasted 2oz a time. There are good restaurants too.

Definitely get in on the Finger Lakes. Beautiful area this time of year. Plenty of little bed-and-breakfasts to stay in, and I think some of them will coordinate or offer tasting tours, where you get on a bus with other people and drive around to four to seven wineries. Folks in my company coordinate a yearly tour where we all chip in for a bus and get toasty, one sip at a time. Yea, they usually have a small tasting fee (<$5), but a bunch of them will refund that if you buy a bottle. New York wine isn't terribly expensive, so you can probably buy a bottle at seven wineries, and only spend about $100.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
They were his personal files. He stored them in his office, I assume, because he ran out of room in his house. Who knows.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Every email is a liability, even if you don't realize it yet, even if you haven't done anything wrong.

Now that's a thought that's going to fester.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Never say something in e-mail you wouldn't be comfortable saying to your mother or hearing in court.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

myron cope posted:

Anything involving lawyers tends to do that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If only more lawyers did it. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

vibur posted:

Heh, jokes on you. A folder is just a pointer to a chunk of memory, it's not really in a trash bin. :smug:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

n3rdal3rt posted:

My problem with this idea is that I don't do this with any other industry. I know nothing about working in a bank or any financial organization but I don't walk in and demand the bank teller make a change to the escrow on my mortgage. I may ask them who I should talk to but I realize just because they share a building with other people they don't all do the same thing. I understood this as a teenager before I had any adult dealings with banks.

Or if you prefer a car analogy. I don't take my car to the quick lube place to have the radiator replaced.

And these same people usually can function in society because they will learn separation of duties. They don't know how a car works either beyond gas goes in vroom comes out but they won't get angry when the BMW dealership doesn't want to fix their Honda. I don't hear "I'm old and therefore completely helpless" then.

As for corporate card chat, I wish (brand name firm) was more diligent with my poo poo. I put in a report a month ago and Amex aint paid yet. Good thing I'm on the bench for offsite anyway atm because I do not want to find out it's suspended because they can't process a 3 item report.

I kind of wish I could float them money on my personal just to farm cash back or airline miles. I already do this with rental car points and I cant wait to throw a Mustang around again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

loving dude here thinks he's English when he say the word 'battery'. Bat-tree.

YOU'RE FROM MICHIGAN YOU FUCKER

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Buy new computers for interns who will be here like 2 months? Sure. This makes sense.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Buy new computers for interns who will be here like 2 months? Sure. This makes sense.

IBM does it. Better machines than full time developers, even. Don't you want to be like IBM? Every one wants to be like IBM.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

myron cope posted:

So we're doing West Wing again? :)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

You shut your whore mouth, how else are we supposed to get new machines to use as spares when we get a coffee/keyboard intersection or surprise new hire?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

vibur posted:

So we're doing West Wing again? :)

Yeah :)

Although seriously, that's actually something to think about that I hadn't before.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It's not like the interns will take then with them...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What are the interns doing that require new computers?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I had to explain to one of the sr. engineers in India how MSDos partitions don't work with disks bigger than 2gb, and that he needs to use parted for GPT partitions vs fdisk for those.

Since he couldn't get Fdisk to work, he just set the disks up WITH NO PARTITIONS AT ALL.

Outsourcing is so awesome, its so much cheaper!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Thanks for having an incredibly loud and shrill system speaker alert tone that happens when something fails, Dell boot diagnostics. I love having to copy down diag codes while everybody else in this office is glaring at me and/or yelling.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

topenga posted:

IBM does it. Better machines than full time developers, even. Don't you want to be like IBM? Every one wants to be like IBM.

Fun thing. When I worked for IBM in the past, they were suppose to give me an older laptop to work on, but I ended up getting a new one because they had run out of machines to hand out. The laptop I got was suppose to go to someone else.

Luckily they didn't mind. Guy was cool.

It does feel weird, though, getting a brand new machine on your first week of the job.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Buy new computers for two new staff members who start next week and I got told a couple days ago? WHY ARE YOU ORDERING COMPUTERS

Inspector_666 posted:

Thanks for having an incredibly loud and shrill system speaker alert tone that happens when something fails, Dell boot diagnostics. I love having to copy down diag codes while everybody else in this office is glaring at me and/or yelling.

Oh my loving god this!
"Do-do-do oh neat built in diagnostics, I'll just let that run a litt-BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP-WEEEEEE-OOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEE-OOOOOOOO"

And now the cooling fan is stuck at 100% for some reason.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was looking at a local competitors Facebook page and found a photo of a 5 year old lovely hack that I did in a crunch time and never went back and fixed.

Consider me suitably shamed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Slash posted:

"Do-do-do oh neat built in diagnostics, I'll just let that run a litt-BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP-WEEEEEE-OOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEE-OOOOOOOO"
At the risk of aging myself, I read that like you were that typewriter from the Sesame Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewx72r1Momg

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

What are the interns doing that require new computers?

Who knows.

Also just bought another seat of Solidworks for $4,800 for an intern.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

I like how the knee-jerk reaction is to blame Dell, instead of using it as evidence to your management that you need a space to work.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Ran a dell diagnostic on a newer machine, scanned a qr code and they are mailing a replacement. First time I have seen a QR code that was useful

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

anthonypants posted:

I like how the knee-jerk reaction is to blame Dell, instead of using it as evidence to your management that you need a space to work.

Possibly that too, but having your own workspace doesn't make the shrill noise less shrill.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Pissing me off: my boss claiming to have too much email and voicemail and just completely ignoring all of it. I don't care if you have 1,000 unread emails, that's your failure to organize and delegate, not an excuse to shirk work.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
code:
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 19:45:03 -0400
Subject: Jerry, Sam, Alex client accounts
To: Sheep
Need these setup immediately, they are fielding all client accounts for the month starting
today but we have no idea how to get them in.  Thanks!
Yeah sure no problem, of course I have nothing better to do on Friday nights than setup new accounts for people, train them on how to use them, and then babysit them over the weekend as they inevitably gently caress it all up, and all on zero notice to boot.

SomethingAwful isn't gonna post on itself, people.

beepsandboops posted:

Pissing me off: my boss claiming to have too much email and voicemail and just completely ignoring all of it. I don't care if you have 1,000 unread emails, that's your failure to organize and delegate, not an excuse to shirk work.

I have a coworker whose voicemail account has been perpetually full since I took over (rather, was forced into taking over) the phone system last May. I have told them numerous times that their voicemail box is full and yet they never do anything to fix it, so last year at some point when a client called up complaining about being unable to reach coworker and needing to make immediate changes to some project that's coworker's responsibility, I put them through to coworker's boss and sent coworker a courtesy email letting them know what had happened.

Queue angry email from coworker like four hours later bout please call my personal cell phone next time. Apparently IT is now also a receptionist service, who knew. They're lucky I didn't just go "wrong department" and transfer them back to the actual receptionists like I should have done.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 2, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Who knows.

Also just bought another seat of Solidworks for $4,800 for an intern.

Haha that's not illegal at all! Unless it's a paid internship, but if it's not; it's probably quite illegal what your company is doing. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It amazes me that there are places in 2015 where not paying people for doing work under the pretense of it being a "learning work experience in the field" is actually still legal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kazinsal posted:

It amazes me that there are places in 2015 where not paying people for doing work under the pretense of it being a "learning work experience in the field" is actually still legal.

Too many uneducated workers and not enough lawyers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

go3 posted:

There are plenty of lawyers, but there's way, way more money to be made fighting against workers' rights than advocating for them.

p.s. Happy May Day

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

go3 posted:

Long ago one of our web servers was called go3 so it's really weird whenever you post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hay guys haven't been in here for a couple of weeks, that's because I'm now unemployed! It's not actually super bad though, we just came to a parting of the ways, I'd basically automated so much stuff that I wasn't necessary anymore, and to be frank I would rather be creating something than maintaining something and it was getting close to that point. Got good severance, good references, good other things. I'm expecting all of you to pull for me in a Dick-Trauma-esque feelgood story even though my employer wasn't particularly evil.

Unrelated, and out of the blue, but I've been enjoying sitting around doing nothing (got the new-to-me Brandon Sanderson book, it's like a million pages), reading on patios, sipping coffee and so on, and I get a call. It's from a person I worked with maybe 8 years ago back when I was the "go to" guy for any IT issue at a small startup that ended up being a big startup. She's now the accountant for another business, and she wants an integration for Sage/Simply Accounting Timberline like the one I did for small startup that used Great Plains. She has no idea what programming is, or what environment it is, or even how viable it is, but she's got a budget for it that she controls completely, and for some reason she thought "him good at computer" and called me.

The Moral: I know we joke a lot about protecting our time and interests but sometimes it is nice to be "that guy" who went a bit out of his way to solve problems and make someone else's day, and in this case it resulted in someone who got hold of me >8 years later< for a basically no-bid contract at exactly the right time. I don't really need the contract right now (and am frankly not super excited about it) but it'd be nice to help her out.

The Question: Anyone imported anything into the Sage Timberline Estimating product database (also known as Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate now)? Their main concern is that they can create an initial spec in the Sage product, but it all goes pear-shaped when it goes out to their contractors, who submit their actual cost information using different codes/not using Sage, which means currently they have to be manually entered. All I know about Sage is that it's a flat file database, and apparently ships with an ODBC connector but other than that I've got nothin. I'm also aware of the "Sage Timberline Office Connector Import" product, but they've already been in touch with that vendor and apparently that's a no go.