Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Magic already has a lifestyle coach though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

AgentSythe posted:

stack the packs into creative shapes and sell the photographs you take of the sculptures

Crack the packs, then ebay the the boxes full of empty packaging. It works for playstations and poo poo right, should be fine here too.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Better yet, crack the packs, replace all the money rares with bulk rares, then sell them on eBay as a "repack". There are people who actually do this, I have to wonder if the buyers know what they are buying.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Does anyone have a really bad lgs near them?i have discovered one that is terrible. One guy seems to work there, the only way to buy singles is to ask the one guy who just thinks for a minute and then tells you. He doesn't have or at least use any sort of catalog system and is the only one ever working there. He doesn't greet or even look up from his computer (where it sounds like he is watching people play magic) unless you get his attention. I tried to give it another chance today and go buy a card but apparently they don't open today until 3? And the phone rolls to a "hasn't setup this voice-mail yet" message. Frustrating to have the stuff I like be represented so poorly. Finally went and wrote a review on his site (Facebook) because every other review is a year old and glowing and everyone I've talked to at other stores events mentions hating that store too. Hopefully there isn't a secret lgs cabal to run me out of fnm.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Yawgmoth posted:

They'll hire you, but you need 10 years of life coach experience, a MS in psychology, and they'll only pay you $25k.

I have an MA in clinical psychology and experience working with gunshot victims, burn patients, troubled teens, and the criminally insane, would that qualify or no?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Dohaeris posted:

Does anyone have a really bad lgs near them?i have discovered one that is terrible. One guy seems to work there, the only way to buy singles is to ask the one guy who just thinks for a minute and then tells you. He doesn't have or at least use any sort of catalog system and is the only one ever working there. He doesn't greet or even look up from his computer (where it sounds like he is watching people play magic) unless you get his attention. I tried to give it another chance today and go buy a card but apparently they don't open today until 3? And the phone rolls to a "hasn't setup this voice-mail yet" message. Frustrating to have the stuff I like be represented so poorly. Finally went and wrote a review on his site (Facebook) because every other review is a year old and glowing and everyone I've talked to at other stores events mentions hating that store too. Hopefully there isn't a secret lgs cabal to run me out of fnm.

I drive 40 minutes to my LGS and pass 2 on my drive there, so yes. The closest one to me has an owner who is an "expert magic player" but can't be bothered to pass the L1 test, fires events that they charge extra if you don't preregister, and sells a miserable selection of singles at a higher rate than SCG ($3 bulk rares :getin:). The other store just has a very stinky player base in a cramped area.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dohaeris posted:

I stopped going to one store that was on my way home from work for a number of reasons. The store was too small, and the prize support was REAL bad. One month I placed 3rd every single Friday but with a turnout of 12-15 each time still didn't get a single prize :toot:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BXCX posted:

I drive 40 minutes to my LGS and pass 2 on my drive there, so yes. The closest one to me has an owner who is an "expert magic player" but can't be bothered to pass the L1 test, fires events that they charge extra if you don't preregister, and sells a miserable selection of singles at a higher rate than SCG ($3 bulk rares :getin:). The other store just has a very stinky player base in a cramped area.

My store has a sign that says they will match TCG Mid on all singles.

Konstantin posted:

Better yet, crack the packs, replace all the money rares with bulk rares, then sell them on eBay as a "repack". There are people who actually do this, I have to wonder if the buyers know what they are buying.

Carefully crack the cardboard packs, take the cards out and replace all of them with Wood Elementals, and then glue them shut. Sell them on eBay as such, clearly marking that they are Wood Elemental repacks for trolling your next draft. (Wood Elementals are actually like $3.50 for some reason so don't actually do this.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 1, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Dohaeris posted:

LegitMTG in Owensboro, KY?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guys, I'm now doing a Standard Rotisserie draft with some friends.

What archetype do I go for?

e; Kinda want to go for Secret Plans

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

My store has a sign that says they will match TCG Mid on all singles.

Carefully crack the cardboard packs, take the cards out and replace all of them with Wood Elementals, and then glue them shut. Sell them on eBay as such, clearly marking that they are Wood Elemental repacks for trolling your next draft.

I would think that would be far easier than trying to update prices all the time. The biggest and most popular LGS in my area though seems to want to gouge the gently caress out of people though. They have a huge inventory on standard, modern, and legacy stuff only for it to sit there in the glass cases. Every once in a while the discussion comes up with the employees about how more people would support the store on singles if they attempted to be more reasonable. The owner basically says "I won't try to compete with SSG" every time it comes up. I guess expecting good business sense out of a LGS owner isn't a reasonable thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I just can't wrap my head around Chains of Mephistopheles. I mean, I can read the card, but I still don't know it actually does. Some dude cast it, and then cast Timetwister and I don't know what the gently caress happened other than I had 0 cards in my hand and he had 7.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I just can't wrap my head around Chains of Mephistopheles. I mean, I can read the card, but I still don't know it actually does. Some dude cast it, and then cast Timetwister and I don't know what the gently caress happened other than I had 0 cards in my hand and he had 7.

The Gatherer ruling posted:

Here's what happens when Chains of Mephistopheles replaces a player's draw: -- If that player has at least one card in his or her hand, he or she discards a card and then draws a card. -- If that player's hand is empty, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard. The player doesn't draw a card at all.

Not sure how your opponent ended up with 7 cards and you had 0, since it functions regardless of whose turn it is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Does this help?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

If you would draw a card outside of your first draw step draw, instead discard a card. If you do, draw a card. If you don't, put the top card of your library into your graveyard.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

I would think that would be far easier than trying to update prices all the time.
There's a store near me that has a widget that auto-updates the prices on their site whenever the TCG mid changes. So yeah, way easier than manually fiddling with your prices. And much more likely to get you sales since buying in store is essentially paying for same-minute shipping and I will gladly pay 50c for that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Not sure how your opponent ended up with 7 cards and you had 0, since it functions regardless of whose turn it is.

I guess what happens is, the hand gets shuffled into the library then you draw 7 cards, but you have 0 cards in hand so you just mill 7 and get no cards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess what happens is, the hand gets shuffled into the library then you draw 7 cards, but you have 0 cards in hand so you just mill 7 and get no cards.

Oh yeah the draw part makes sense. Still doesn't explain the 7 cards for your opponent, which is what I was mostly curious about.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Oh yeah the draw part makes sense. Still doesn't explain the 7 cards for your opponent, which is what I was mostly curious about.

I may have just read MODO wrong and thought the 7 was his hand but it was his graveyard? Not sure.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Serperoth posted:

The only thing I can think is that the opponent thought Chains only applied to his opponents, not all players, so went ahead and drew his 7.

Of all the cards to play without knowing exactly how it works, that seems like one of the worst.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

The only thing I can think is that the opponent thought Chains only applied to his opponents, not all players, so went ahead and drew his 7.

Of all the cards to play without knowing exactly how it works, that seems like one of the worst.

Its MODO, so stuff just happened and then I was trying to figure out why. Me thinking the "7" was his hand but it's actually his GY makes the most sense (the icons are right next to each other). I actually asked him how Chains works and what the deal was and his answer was "idk lol".

To give myself a little credit, the idea he just One With Nothing'd himself didn't cross my mind. I assumed it was some wonky combo.

Vintage is such a weird format. You're playing with a ton of bizarro interactions and most decks have so many lines of play its really hard to know what you should be doing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 2, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Easiest way to think of Chains: any draw that isn't your standard draw step draw is instead a reverse loot.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

Yes, I live in the UK and I only have reasonably local LGS (still a good drive to get there.) that is absolutely terrible. They don't sell singles in any shape or form, sell sealed product for absolutely amazingly terrible prices (£10 for 3 boosters, £130 for boxes, £35 for fat packs, £35 for 2015 Commander decks, £20 for event decks), have playing areas that are literally just a sheet of MDF on top of some supports, the shop itself is regularly an absolute mess then they get pissy when a couple of bottles or something is left on the tables (even one time saying they won't get promos because of the mess they left behind the other week (which was basically nothing), which then practically everyone got up and left), their staff are basically consisted of filthy grognards with server hygiene issues then one day they enforced a rule to use deodorant and hand gel before they can use the playing surfaces, which is fair enough, but is pretty loving hypocritical when they can't deal with their own issues and usually the normal people playing there actually wash. There are no loving L1 judge (I am working on that, because it's stupid) so there are 2 people running the FNM that knows barely anything beyond the basic rules and all of the rules questions are answered by another person playing a game because they have loving no idea, then a guy tried to make another FNM in the same city and talked about it in earshot of the owner (not recruiting them or anything) and he basically chucked the guy out and banned him from the store. I can probably post pages of this poo poo and still have plenty of things to say how my local LGS is poo poo, because I can't wait until they run out of money, go bankrupt and a more competent owner buys it so I can play my magical cardboard games in relative comfort and not drive 40+ miles for a decent LGS.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Really sorry to go back a few pages here but WTF is this

Opalessence posted:

This is the current interaction between Humility and Opalescence: The type-changing effect applies at layer 4, but the rest happens in the applicable layers. The rest of it will apply even if the permanent loses its ability before it's finished applying. So if Opalescence, Humility, and Worship are on the battlefield and Opalescence entered the battlefield before Humility, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments. (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities. (Humility) Layer 7b: Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4. (Opalescence). Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). But if Humility entered the battlefield before Opalescence, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities (Humility). Layer 7b: Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4 (Opalescence).

This is some serious next level poo poo

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AceClown posted:

The current gatherer wording is: "Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature in addition to its other types and has base power and base toughness each equal to its converted mana cost."

So what happens to Courser of Kruphix? My assumption is that its a 3/3. The original wording of the card more specifically says "global enchantment" and therefore wouldn't work on Courser, but the current errata does make it work on Courser.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

whoa i thought it was only for like, 6 months

He says 4 years in the song but it could very well have been less :shrug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AceClown posted:

This is some serious next layer poo poo

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Looks like Reddit got ahold of the the Pro Tour blog. http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/34hwp8/this_pt_tournament_report_might_be_the_most/

Of course everyone on reddit empathizes with the guy.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Cool, a really bad post on a really bad website. Thanks 4 dis

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

kizudarake posted:

LegitMTG in Owensboro, KY?

Nope but it sucks that this happens enough people have guesses.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AceClown posted:

That interaction has been the best way to learn layers for years. The humility opalescent ex combo is a brain wringer especially when you start activation manlands

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mehall posted:

Guys, I'm now doing a Standard Rotisserie draft with some friends.

What archetype do I go for?

e; Kinda want to go for Secret Plans

Draft Skinks its the strongest Standard tribe

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That interaction has been the best way to learn layers for years. The humility opalescent ex combo is a brain wringer especially when you start activation manlands

I used to answer rules questions on the WOTC official forums, and it used to be a running joke that all the regular posters there knew the layer system more than Wizards did because of how often we had to answer questions like this.

The best was Humility+Opalescence+March of the Machines+Mycosynth Latice+Life and Limb

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

The best was Humility+Opalescence+March of the Machines+Mycosynth Latice+Life and Limb

Well????

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I recently started drafting in MTGO and I am really having a hard time winning. I won all but one of my new player drafts, but now I am sucking. I've done 4 drafts and only ever win 1 match.

I think most of the time I am building an acceptable deck, and today I built what I think was an absolutely amazing deck. Yet I still went 1-2. Mind you one of my games was close as hell; my opponent drew the two cards they needed to take the win from me. And on the my last match I drew nothing my first game, and then proceeded to mulligan down to 4 due to land screw(one landers).

It's hard to level up goons :'(. Besides doing more drafts and listening to LR(plus following other resources) is there anything else I can do to improve?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
For Atarka Red and FNM later tonight I took out one lightning berserker and added one of the rabbles from the sideboard. So I have 3 main and 1 sideboard. Side is this:

1 Harness by Force
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Destructive Revelry
2 Magmatic Chasm
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
3 Roast
1 Rabblemaster

I can't think of many matchups where having a Rabblemaster would be bad.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Dohaeris posted:

For Atarka Red and FNM later tonight I took out one lightning berserker and added one of the rabbles from the sideboard. So I have 3 main and 1 sideboard. Side is this:

1 Harness by Force
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Destructive Revelry
2 Magmatic Chasm
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
3 Roast
1 Rabblemaster

I can't think of many matchups where having a Rabblemaster would be bad.
I have sided them out in the mirror/RDW because they're going to have Slash and Strike and possibly Searing Blood. Not sure if that logic is correct, though.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Boco_T posted:

I have sided them out in the mirror/RDW because they're going to have Slash and Strike and possibly Searing Blood. Not sure if that logic is correct, though.

Yeah I don't know if this is a good idea, I just know my Rabbles are always useful even if just to bait removal and the lightning berserkers never seem to do much for me. Might be using them incorrectly though. That's a good thought for the mirror.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
It sounds like you're in a pretty similar place to where I was recently. You're deck seems as fine as everyone else's but they keep winning. For me at least, the problem was my actual skill playing magic. I had the basic stuff like sequencing and efficient use of mana down, but I needed to work on bigger picture stuff like having a gameplan and knowing when you're overextending. For me the solution was being thoughtful and conscientious of what I was doing, even when the correct move was "obvious". As a result, I started avoiding two for ones and blowouts that would have gotten me in the past, and as a result started winning games I would have lost. I still have lots of work, but asking simple questions like "Why are they attacking like that?" will win you at least one game a draft, and that can be what gets you to the finals.

TLDR: focus less on the drafting part and more on the actual gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I cut Searing Bloods for Rabbles and Halls of Triumph for my Atarka Red Sideboard.

Its something like

2x Scouring Sands
1x Destructive Revelry
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4x Roast
2x Hall of Triumph
2x Goblin Rabblemaster

Rabble is good in any matchup where he just swings for a lot of damage turns four and five if unanswered and they don't have lots of cheap burn or tokens to trade. So basically the slower GR decks like Dragons, and the UB/Esper decks, and Green Devotion etc. In the mirror I think he comes out because he's easily bolted where as a Hordeling Outburst has to be answered by Arc Lightning or Sands, and those cards are in turn blanked by Hall of Triumph.

As an aside, how should I be handling Hornet's Nests? I'm thinking of boarding in Sands in those match ups to clear the bees, but how common is it as a sideboard option right now and is that a reasonable gamble game 2 if I dont know their sideboard? It does clear mana dorks too.

• Locked thread