Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Did the Way of Life doc break the Stressed trait? I remember having a character get stressed every one in a while before, but now it seems that practically everyone I play eventually gets that trait now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That started happening to me way before WoL. So if it got "broken", it happened earlier than that patch.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Simplex posted:

Did the Way of Life doc break the Stressed trait? I remember having a character get stressed every one in a while before, but now it seems that practically everyone I play eventually gets that trait now.

Rulership focus?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Simplex posted:

Times are tough. Seriously, though, it added a lot of events to most of the foci that add Stressed. If you don't like it, you can spend all your time in War focus and never get a Stressed event from it. From other sources, sure. And you'll also never get a war focus event either.

Meanwhile, my Eireman game is going interestingly. When last I mentioned it, I had taken over 35% of ScotPictland thanks to anti-Waldensian holy wars. In the end, the last Waldensian holdout (An independent bishopric in Orkney) fell, and I took some more bits of Alba, including the Isle of Man, which got me the kingdom title.

After that, I lost Alba in the succession, fought it back from my brother, lost it AGAIN to another gavelkind succession (Which let me keep Moray, at least), scored a piece of Wales for a newly-minted count, promptly lost it AND the piece of Eire I'd given him to a claimant war, gave up the kingdom of Eire to a claimant faction, won it back in a faction war, lost it to another faction war (Leading to Eire being under Welsh rule from the Isle of Man for a few years), then inherited it again. I also inherited a duchy in England and (briefly) a county in Spain. I took back the piece of Ireland I'd lost when I lost the Welsh land, stripped the Duke of Mumu of his wealth and titles, and now I'm sitting pretty again.

After I gave up the kingdom to the Duke of Ulster, he went feudal, which had me slightly worried I'd miss out on that achievement (I had my own territories upgrade to castles, but no achievement). Fortunately, the Welsh king was still tribal, so I had time to build up to stone forts when I inherited. However, that ruler died before I could reach max tribal organization, so his heir, ruling from one of the Mumus (My capital had switched from Dublin to Mann when I inherited, but couldn't switch back because Dublin was a castle, so the capital moved to a tribal holding during the succession :psyduck:), converted to feudal and moved the capital back to Dublin.

Eire now consists of all de jure land, plus Man, a singular Isle of Orkney (Scandinavia is fighting over the rest of that duchy), Moray, and the duchy in England that contains Oxford. The remainder of Pictland is either fractured among English lords, held by the remaining Picts or held by a bishop whose capital is in Irish lands. That's the interesting part, really. Someone declared a claimant war on my dynasty member who held the Kingdom of Pictland, and it turns out the claimant was a bishop over in the east of Moray. He's next on my list. Then I spend a couple lifetimes just hoarding gold and upgrading my holdings, because Jesus Christ was that a horrible lifetime of war for that one king. Britannia can wait, as long as the Duke of Gwynedd doesn't decide to become King of England (He's got land from southern Scotland all the way to Wales).

In foreign news, Francia is chugging along, Bavaria has gone Lollard for the most part (Francia seems unwilling to strike like the hand of the angry god they are. Probably too busy with revolts), Saxony still exists (although slightly diminished), The Byzantines are slowly turning to the glory of Allah, the Zunists lost some territory to a Buddhist revolt, and the Umayyads lost Andalusia somehow. Sweden, meanwhile, I don't even know. (I actually do know, but I don't know why the Duke of Sweden hasn't declared himself King of Norway yet) Most of that territory used to be Denmark's, before Gavelkind happened.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Does anyone have a good choice to try out playing a Muslim ruler for the first time?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

In my current HRE game there is exactly one Cathar barony on the face of the Earth.

It's Vermandois. Should I?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So I'm playing as the Count of Caligari to eventually take over Pisa and the rest of Italy. My neighbor on Sardinia has like 900 troops at his disposal, I have 920 without my Bishop supporting me with an additional 400 troops. I could conquer the drat guy already but my Bishop keeps being 'loyal to King Harold the Great'. How do I stop them from being loyal to a totally random rear end English king? I tried assassinating my Bishop but then the next one was loyal to Harold, then the next, then the next.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Does anyone have a good choice to try out playing a Muslim ruler for the first time?

The Kalbids, in Sicily, the Zirids in Tunisia or the Abbadids (well, any of the Emirates in Spain but I prefer the Abbadids) in Seville for the 1066 start. For 867 start, the Saffarids or Samanids in southeastern and northeastern Iran respectively. For 769 start, idk

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Just a good old ð

Crusader Kings 2 - She Wants The ð

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Don't worry, it's basically the same as Þ

Þat's not right, it's literally Ð.

Also the random localizations always sorta amuse/annoy me, especially the celtic names which are just cray. Meanwhile the muslims are the most boring blobs that never show funny ones.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hadaka Apron posted:

Those dudes in Libya at 1066 was a pretty good start, I found.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I like that the thread has a lot of storytime. My current Spain game is going wellish. After the horny old king of leon died I was having difficulty taking over the rest of Spain because case for war was taking too long. Initially the first king had wiped the muslims out while calling for aid a lot to take away the expansion options for hisbrothers while keeping the levy numbers low for everyone else on the peninsula but as it was I didn't think he had enough years left to wipe his Christian brothers out and take the empire. I was wrong about that and he had like 15 years of sex games left and he produced so many kids it was loving nuts. The only option was to go elective. Gavelking had to be avoided and the youngest son around death was probably like 1.

It worked out well. The new heir was ok in stats and importantly didn't have the pox. So after sleaze dad died not that impressive son conquered a lot of north Africa, Galacia and won the crusade and got Jerusalem and the Barcelona duchy before kicking the bucket. He made a not quite HRE in numbers blob but it is doomstacks for any other not insufferable blob country. Then he died. The realm was still elective but it all went to the one heir so it turned out ok once again.

Third son can make the empire of hispania at any point but I had to reload the game because when I hold all the kingdoms and its elective empire the vassals lose their poo poo and start assassinations and basically I continued for a good while not realising what the difference was so.. Didn't know the voting thing would be affected so much. So third son is more or less in a holding pattern waiting for ten years on kingdom and peace to change everything to eldest kid inherits. Also conquering mumnu for reasons and finishing business in Africa. The inheriting son if everything works out is a genius with godlike stats in everything. Looking forward to that. Only issue wiill be navigating vassal rage in the meantime. Elective was really sweet right up until empire. I've seen what vassal kings are like in another game and I don't really want to repeat it.

Thinking of pushing down into Ghana just for fun. The dynasty is weirdly really good friends with the byzantine empire and helped them fend off a jihad. That hadn't happened before. Someone married in at some point in the distant past and since then its been a best bro relationship. With zero effort in the meantime.

As it turns out the vassals intensely dislike being denied elective and put on primogeniture. The new king got lucky and the fatamids attempted to retake Jerusalem as all this was going down which gave me a massive rep boost in the short term and a huge amount of cash when the byzantines and half of Europe piled in to do some poo poo kicking. I would try to take the guts of Egypt if it weren't for the now currently low approval. Weirdly the son who stands to benefit the most got a minus 150 approval from it. poo poo is bannanas. Nothing huge quantities of gold can't mitigate though. But I think that's going to be the legacy of the current king, he altered inheritance rules and took Mumnu. Kind of anticlimactic after his predecessors.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 1, 2015

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea, in my current ERE game, good old Karl turned Lollard and his sons still sticking to it. Makes for some amusing wars between them and Italy, when the latter isn't ravaged by religious uprisings.

I started out in seventeen-whenever, and thanks to the Catholic Church's single-digit moral authority and Karl dying in a dumb accident two years in, Middle Francia has pretty much torn itself into individual duchies.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Doltos posted:

So I'm playing as the Count of Caligari to eventually take over Pisa and the rest of Italy. My neighbor on Sardinia has like 900 troops at his disposal, I have 920 without my Bishop supporting me with an additional 400 troops. I could conquer the drat guy already but my Bishop keeps being 'loyal to King Harold the Great'. How do I stop them from being loyal to a totally random rear end English king? I tried assassinating my Bishop but then the next one was loyal to Harold, then the next, then the next.

I don't know a thing about this game but just my first thoughts; are you certain he is your vassal and not somehow that random kings through some legal BS? Seems like he has a hold on the title somehow.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Hadaka Apron posted:

If you want to do the 769 start, the guys who start in present-day Yemen are pretty good for starting small(ish) and trying to create an empire that can take on the Abbassids. It'll give you an excuse to dick around in India if you've never done that before, since you'll run out of areas to expand after you take the southern Arabian peninsula and everything south of the Abbassids' holdings in Egypt.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So I played this game a bunch years ago, but haven't played it since the earlier start dates were made. Do the names of cultures and countries and what have you change as time progresses if you start with say the earlier start day? Like to the Picts turn into the Scots at some point etc.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drunkboxer posted:

So I played this game a bunch years ago, but haven't played it since the earlier start dates were made. Do the names of cultures and countries and what have you change as time progresses if you start with say the earlier start day? Like to the Picts turn into the Scots at some point etc.

Yup a bunch of that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Reforming the Roman Empire is dope. Is there any reason to move my capital to Rome? Will my kids still be born in the purple or is that a Constantinople exclusive?

Historically speaking medieval Rome was a bit of a backwater dump compared to ancient Rome:

Not quite sure how it is in the game.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

FreudianSlippers posted:

Historically speaking medieval Rome was a bit of a backwater dump compared to ancient Rome:

Not quite sure how it is in the game.

It has seven holding slots, but the Pope fills them all up with bishoprics.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Groogy posted:

Yup a bunch of that.

I wish they had a dynamic way of making this happen. Like if the Norse take over say Brittany, after 100 years they change to a Breton subculture called whatever Norse is in their language. Something like that would be really neat. I did it by hand in my Norse to Lithuania game, called it Norva after the Slavic name for Norsemen, Makes the game feel more fun and unique but it'd be way better with some actual work done to it. Not sure how to mod in a new culture so I didn't, if anyone knows how to do that in a way a computer simpleton can handle, that'd be rad.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Welp, I'm an idiot. There IS a way to mod province resistance and disease spread.

Just had to whip up a new province modifier and we're good to go. This should greatly slowdown the spread of the plague through your provinces.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Darth Windu posted:

I wish they had a dynamic way of making this happen. Like if the Norse take over say Brittany, after 100 years they change to a Breton subculture called whatever Norse is in their language. Something like that would be really neat. I did it by hand in my Norse to Lithuania game, called it Norva after the Slavic name for Norsemen, Makes the game feel more fun and unique but it'd be way better with some actual work done to it. Not sure how to mod in a new culture so I didn't, if anyone knows how to do that in a way a computer simpleton can handle, that'd be rad.
It can be done fairly simply. The problem is that every culture has to be hardcoded, so you have to put in new cultures (and conversion events) for every possible melting pot you want to be able to happen. And then you have the question of what you do about melting pots of melting pots.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I manage to inherit the Byzantine empire as the HRE, should I just destroy the HRE title in order to let the old HRE provinces De-Jure drift into the Byzantine, and later Roman, empire? The HRE doesn't have stuff like "born in the purple" after all, and I prefer to only hold one Empire title.

Alternatively, I can try to keep hold of both the Holy Roman Empire and the Roman Empire at the same time. There really should be an achievement for that.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

brocretin posted:

An unfortunate truth that I just discovered about two hundred years into my Byz game. I put off conquering Rome because I couldn't remember if there were any repercussions for swiping it--there aren't, save for a very angry Pope--so by the time I did get around to snagging it, the Pope had already filled every slot with loving churches. If you're planning on taking Rome, do it ASAP so you can fill all those empty holdings with sweet, sweet castles.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Broken Cog posted:

If I manage to inherit the Byzantine empire as the HRE, should I just destroy the HRE title in order to let the old HRE provinces De-Jure drift into the Byzantine, and later Roman, empire? The HRE doesn't have stuff like "born in the purple" after all, and I prefer to only hold one Empire title.

Alternatively, I can try to keep hold of both the Holy Roman Empire and the Roman Empire at the same time. There really should be an achievement for that.

You'd probably be better off with only one empire title since I think crown laws are screwy with multiple same-rank titles. Just do it right before your character kicks the bucket do you don't have to deal with the -50 opinion malice for too long.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

An unfortunate truth that I just discovered about two hundred years into my Byz game. I put off conquering Rome because I couldn't remember if there were any repercussions for swiping it--there aren't, save for a very angry Pope--so by the time I did get around to snagging it, the Pope had already filled every slot with loving churches. If you're planning on taking Rome, do it ASAP so you can fill all those empty holdings with sweet, sweet castles.

If you take Rome as a non-Christian I think the crusades trigger way early which could possibly gently caress you. You're good if you're Orthodox though I think.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Going to repost this from the Paradox Megathread:

I have made further progress with the Black Death mod.

Having finished the rough draft of the flavor events, I decided to play as the Emperor of Frankistan, ruling over Anatolia, Syria, Jerusalem, and Mesopotamia.

Emperor Geraud was the mighty ruler of this realm, possessing all the fine virtues a Christian knight ought to possess. Some said his abilities were unnatural, but he paid them no mind.

As the plague crept into Anatolia, he sought to put an end to the plague.

He decided to study the corpses of the plague victims, feeling that testing it on himself was a bit too much.

Sadly, he did not observe proper protocol...

... and died, leaving the empire to his seven year old grandson, (Geraud's son having been slain by the plague.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

brocretin posted:

What would you do to bring up Bishoprics that they could be considered a viable choice as compared to cities and castles?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Is [the priests] thing different for different religions? Considering pagans haven't got 'em and muslims don't either really?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Is [the priests] thing different for different religions? Considering pagans haven't got 'em and muslims don't either really?

Yep, in the localization there is a [Root.Religion.GetPriestTitle] command that automatically changes the word to whatever the religion uses for priests. So for Sunnis it would become "imam".

quote:

let_us_begin_opta;Let's talk to the [Root.Religion.GetPriestTitle]s.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Yep, in the localization there is a [Root.Religion.GetPriestTitle] command that automatically changes the word to whatever the religion uses for priests. So for Sunnis it would become "imam".
Zun priests are called Sun Guardians, which is loving cool and makes me wish that Zunism wasn't mechanically the shittiest religion in the game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Better check the religious map, that antipope might have spawned some heresies!

Only a duchy in Norway, and it looks like the Swedish King has converted away. Wait, that's not a catholic heresy...

WHAT

:psyboom:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
"Installed by faction demand" :lol:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Odobenidae posted:

Better check the religious map, that antipope might have spawned some heresies!

Only a duchy in Norway, and it looks like the Swedish King has converted away. Wait, that's not a catholic heresy...

WHAT

:psyboom:

This happens sometimes. Playing as Erik the Heathen and restoring Norse Paganism from the brink of destruction is one of the more fun campaigns possible in CK2. Vikings but actually challenging, what more could you want?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

If you take Rome as a non-Christian I think the crusades trigger way early which could possibly gently caress you. You're good if you're Orthodox though I think.

Yeah, I should've clarified that I meant taking Rome as the Byzantines.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Pope declared a Crusade! :catholic:

...For Lombardy. Because the king had looked into Secrets Man Was Not Meant to Know and gone Waldensian. Considering Lombardy also encompassed the Kingdom of Africa, this was kind of a big deal. I did that thing where you assign all your vassals command of your armies whether or not they know which end of a sword to use (Plus a few unassigned family members). Wound up getting over 50% contribution to the Crusade, despite having to run back home and spank some peasants halfway through.

The land wound up going to an adventurer who'd been in the middle of conquering it (That was a surprise, all through the campaign the tooltip had mentioned some good catholic daughter), and now has 98 holdings with a demesne limit of 1. I assume he can't actually hand those out until he stops being a titular title, and he's losing the continuing war against the old king, who's been relegated to the periphery of the landmass and his holdings in Africa.

Meanwhile, my son had been married to the Countess of Corsica, went Waldensian, then got kicked out in the Crusade. He went to a court in Africa, while his children came back to my court in Ireland.

On the home front, the biggest obstacle to my rise to power is the Duke of Gwynedd, Lancaster, York, Alban, and a few other duchies. I have a solution, though: I betrothed one of my sons to his firstborn daughter and am systematically killing any sons he has. He hates me, but I'm already a known murderer (Fortunately the Pope says I'm not a kinslayer anymore), so what was he expecting? :ese:

Considering that plan won't bear fruit for another 30 years at least, I think I'm getting better at playing the long game.

e: During the crusade I also gave one of my sons the Republic of Mann. I look forward to Patrician Elective succession interacting with Tanistry.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 2, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
My devilking is 78 and just lost lunatic and possessed through an event. Is he ever going to die? Not that i'm complaining, he got me to Empire and is probably the best monarch I've ever seen, but man he is just not dying. I've got a genius strong heir that I'd like to get to before he gets too old.

Checking his Health in the charinfo command gives it at 9.9, is that max?? haha, amazing.

80 and still going strong, I don't think I've ever seen anyone get this old.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 2, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Checking his Health in the charinfo command gives it at 9.9, is that max?? haha, amazing.

Dude could shrug off the Black Death (-7 health). :stare:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

One plus side to having the Kinslayer trait is that when you get a lovely heir it's pretty easy to get rid of him without incurring an additional penalty. Just have him excommunicated, imprisoned, and executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
He finally ate dirt at 83, having united the crowns of Finland, Norva, Poland, and Pomerania in one glorious Empire. RIP You beautiful evil bastard.

I haven't played enough recently to know whether this world state is normal, and I've never played this game this long. I have the plague and the mongols to look forward to, right? Am I in a particularly vulnerable place for the mongols?

I've never seen Western Europe this broken up from a 1066 start, so that is interesting.

I think I"m going to divide the empire back to its kingdoms and see what happens. Playing an empire is boring.

• Locked thread