Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Badly Jester posted:

What's the consensus on the level 10 medic skill? Is armament actually a good idea? My initial impression was that 2 armor per heal don't make up the 10% loss of healing power.

It's generally good because you can see 2 points of armor as essentially making up for the 10% less health points you'll heal and then some, especially at extremely high levels where your syringes will heal to full health so rapidly anyways. Also Sirens become free armor refill stations and your grenades make tanking large enemies extremely easy for yourself and anybody else who's feeling brave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Is it wrong that I like the hunting shotgun over the AA-12, like I never buy it, I just get the hunting shotgun after the first round, then just save up for a medic SMG, until the last around, then switch out for the medic lmg for the extra healing.

I never seem to run out of ammo for the hunting shotgun, and I never get caught short when reloading, since it reloads quickly and if I've just shot it, I've probably already cleared out all the zeds. Unloading both barrels into Hans, then hiding and doing it again seems really effective too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

Is it wrong that I like the hunting shotgun over the AA-12, like I never buy it, I just get the hunting shotgun after the first round, then just save up for a medic SMG, until the last around, then switch out for the medic lmg for the extra healing.

I never seem to run out of ammo for the hunting shotgun, and I never get caught short when reloading, since it reloads quickly and if I've just shot it, I've probably already cleared out all the zeds. Unloading both barrels into Hans, then hiding and doing it again seems really effective too.

You can carry the AA-12 and the hunting shotgun with a medic pistol and you should because the AA-12 is literally the best weapon in the game

Badly Jester posted:

What's the consensus on the level 10 medic skill? Is armament actually a good idea? My initial impression was that 2 armor per heal don't make up the 10% loss of healing power.

It procs on every tic of your grenades and every dart you fire so it's a lot better than it sounds

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 1, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Badly Jester posted:

The health loss is barely noticable and the armor thing is amazing, even 2 armor is great to mitigate a little damage.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ruggington posted:

You can carry the AA-12 and the hunting shotgun with a medic pistol and you should because the AA-12 is literally the best weapon in the game

Basically this. The medic gun is nice but the hunting shotgun absolutely destroys zed heads, even faster than the AA-12 in some cases. These two guns coupled with the medic pistol is what makes many people consider Support at the very least the second best class in the game so far, behind Medic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's good once you realize the medic grenade constantly applies that armor, yeah.

Though as amazingly effective the level 25 Medic popping up into the random normal server I was on was with that and generally murdering everything was? I'd figure don't go full :spergin: Because getting healed when you are at half health and there is a scrake, pound, or hans is grabbing you takes priority over free piecemeal armor bits.

Ruggington posted:

This is generally how my support ends up by the end, yeah. Though I still bust out my needle and jam it into the rear end of grab victims in for the first two grabs with my support, especially when nobody wants to heal the grab victim they just want to use that as free time to position themselves even when it's the medic getting grabbed.

I think the vast majority of my medic experience points are from healing medics. I like trying to help people stay alive during Hans, or topping up the medic and other people in a clusterfuck when I'm top shape, sure. But I just don't see myself going full medic because I like the bigger guns, and I just feel weird mix and matching perk weaponry outside of "Now that I have the two on perk guns I want and spare cash, I'll grab a medic gun".

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Huh, I'll give that a try, I just spent a round with the Medic Smg and Shotty and the Hunting Shotgun and that was pretty fun, but I'll give the AA-12 and pistol a try!

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
As someone who has a level 14 medic, I don't ever bother taking the medic SMG, and have no idea why anyone else would either.

Sure, it shoots fast and is accurate as all hell, but it does ridiculously small damage per bullet. I am more effective just using my medic pistol until I can afford either the shotgun or assault rifle, both of which can deal some real damage.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Mistikman posted:

As someone who has a level 14 medic, I don't ever bother taking the medic SMG, and have no idea why anyone else would either.

Sure, it shoots fast and is accurate as all hell, but it does ridiculously small damage per bullet. I am more effective just using my medic pistol until I can afford either the shotgun or assault rifle, both of which can deal some real damage.

The SMG is handy because it has a massive amount of ammo, especially with the medic ammo perk. It's great early-game because the only stuff you're going to be dealing with are smaller zeds that will be taken out with a few headshots with it. It doesn't hold up well late-game but you can use it to rapidly get enough money for the shotgun and assault rifle, especially with its really good resale value.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Does alt firing with the medic guns heal less than syringing?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mistikman posted:

The smg is great because you can rapidly headshot entire groups of clots/crawlers with it. Its literally a trash clearer which I don't really see a problem with. If anything I don't like that the medic has weapons strong enough to tackle scrakes/fleshpounds and that it has more armour than a commando. If anything I think the medic should have weaker guns, faster running and 80 armour (that it still gets for free), support and commando get 100 armour and berserker gets more than 100 armour.

That way the medic is forced to rely on being support, rather than the current thing of the medic being the tankiest unit, that has a huge damage output while also being able to keep everyone else going. A full team of medics has almost no drawbacks aside from being hosed if they can't afford their shotties before the first big guys appear.

I remember in a dev video that they said the medic wasn't combat trained, so making it squishier would make it feel that way.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone else got really stuttery sound despite frame rate being fine? It's so off putting I have to play it on mute

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Nope. Haven't had any performance issues except for the low health heartbeat sound being stuck on one time until I restarted the game.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone got a group doing HoE yet? It's unplayable on pubs due to all the super low level players trying to play and most of my friends just got the game and are still struggling on hard.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ramsus posted:

Nope. Haven't had any performance issues except for the low health heartbeat sound being stuck on one time until I restarted the game.

I'd take that over the sound constantly skipping every half a second!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone else got really stuttery sound despite frame rate being fine? It's so off putting I have to play it on mute

Well, I do have constant sound stutter, but my FPS tanks like a Sherman so I can't really give you good info.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Badly Jester posted:

I thought so at first but then as I leveled my medic and played more rounds with that skill on it became clear that it's very helpful. Especially if people are using perks that benefit from having armor. Before the SEAi had a level fourteen medic and that plus the extra health from the first skill makes you a badass that can hold your own and keep everyone up and running.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

goonfloor2 server was throwing a connection error when I tried to run a few rounds over lunch, assuming that's a patch/update thing?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Does alt firing with the medic guns heal less than syringing?

Seems that way. I'm sure someone posted here about how the medic perk only applies to the syringe which seems bonkers. Having to switch to the syringe in the middle of combat is clunky as hell.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Linx posted:

Seems that way. I'm sure someone posted here about how the medic perk only applies to the syringe which seems bonkers. Having to switch to the syringe in the middle of combat is clunky as hell.

Based on comparing how long it takes for a non-medic's medic pistol to regen darts against a medic's medic pistol, it seems like the medic perk applies to dart recharge rate as well. Consequently, it might also apply to potency. The syringe might heal the most health, but that doesn't mean it's strictly the better option, since it's not long range and it is clunky.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Akumos posted:

Patch hosed my server for a while but I brought it back as a Suicidal 10 wave for a bit

open 104.156.246.12:7777

Is the old steam group dead?
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonsontheKillingFloor

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Based on comparing how long it takes for a non-medic's medic pistol to regen darts against a medic's medic pistol, it seems like the medic perk applies to dart recharge rate as well. Consequently, it might also apply to potency. The syringe might heal the most health, but that doesn't mean it's strictly the better option, since it's not long range and it is clunky.

There is also the issue that the syringe is currently a pain in the rear end to get to connect. In KF1 you can do a fly by and if you were reasonably close it'd register the heal. Now you have to pin the person in a corner and have the thing wedged into their torso before it'll heal someone. Which sucks because most people are running around like crazy when you need them heals.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

The smg is great because you can rapidly headshot entire groups of clots/crawlers with it. Its literally a trash clearer which I don't really see a problem with. If anything I don't like that the medic has weapons strong enough to tackle scrakes/fleshpounds and that it has more armour than a commando. If anything I think the medic should have weaker guns, faster running and 80 armour (that it still gets for free), support and commando get 100 armour and berserker gets more than 100 armour.

That way the medic is forced to rely on being support, rather than the current thing of the medic being the tankiest unit, that has a huge damage output while also being able to keep everyone else going. A full team of medics has almost no drawbacks aside from being hosed if they can't afford their shotties before the first big guys appear.

I remember in a dev video that they said the medic wasn't combat trained, so making it squishier would make it feel that way.

SMG heals better than the pistol too. Though from a "I'm spending my dosh efficiently!" standpoint I can understand skipping it considering your T3 medic shotgun is pretty cool (and heals even betterererer) and means no selling back your SMG later. You can carry Pistol+Shotgun+Assault.

As for Medic guns being "too good", I don't really get this. They are nice as well as being able to heal but-

The SMG may be a 3 weight full auto gun, but it is 15 damage per bullet. Meaning it NEEDS it's great accuracy or it's basically garbage past Normal, because you know what else has 15 damage and can't kill clots in a single headshot in hard+? the 9mm. (Unless for mysterious viddy game reasons the SMG can one shot but the 9mm cant?).

The shotgun may be a 10 shot semi auto, but it's 20 damage making it tied with the pump action as weakest damage per shot. Plus Medic will lack the penetration bonus to let that shred large groups of trash, which makes that ammo go by a lot faster when you are not just magdumping into a single target.

Medic assault may have more ammo capacity than the SCAR, but it has 10 less damage per bullet and is full auto only. It even has a worse accuracy stat than the SCAR on top, and is a relatively hefty 7 weight.

The only reason I'd consider medic guns "Too good" is if you expect your Medic to be complete garbage and just sit back healing while letting everyone else handle anything more notable than trash. Everybody else's guns are better at being guns, Everybody else has scaling damage buffs, and only the Pistol and SMG have comparativly low weight... Well okay, the Medic shotgun is arguably better than the combat shotgun. But that's because gently caress the combat shotgun.

RE; Syringe chat. God I wish it was easier to stick people with them, or maybe it made you run faster with the syringe out? I've lost track of how often I've had pubbies with half health and no enemies around BACKPEDDALING AWAY FROM ME while I'm waving my syringe in their face just out of range and my guy is saying "Stand still so I can heal you".

Not that healing people when they aren't activly trying to evade you is any better. In a clusterfuck I've often uselessly jammed a guy with 99% health with the needlebecause they wedged themselves between me and the half dead guy I've been chasing around the past 5 seconds.

I wonder if this awkwardness is a factor in how unwilling pubbies are to try and heal the guy getting grabbed by Hans? "Hey guys, the MEDIC got grabbed when they were below 1/4 health, anybody else gonna help your medic stay alive? no?" I am so glad I managed to keep that level 1 medic barely alive the whole time that one match :unsmith:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
3 decent level medics mean unlimited armor mode. Watched 3 take out a pack of sc/fp no problem.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
As a rank 13 medic, and an accredited member of the Board of Armed Trauma Surgeons, I can tell you with certitude that all of my expertises apply to firearm-deployed syringes. Your standard-issue personal syringe should not be used to render first aid under normal circumstances, and attempting to perform close-quarters medicine is actually in violation of the Board's best practices. Before rendering aid to any injured squadmate, you should first purchase a certified Horzine medical sidearm.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ramsus posted:

3 decent level medics mean unlimited armor mode. Watched 3 take out a pack of sc/fp no problem.

Which part of medic armor spam has to do with the quality of their guns though? Would firing off that medic grenade and dart spam into some supports fighting the big zeds instead result in everybody dying?

I'm just talking strictly "How good is gun" here. I'm sure properly tricked out medics could ensure some Zerkers swinging Crovels would take out multiple scrakes and pounds, which is a whole other can of worms.

EDIT: I'm not debating how :staredog: watching Medics render people immortal in circumstances you would otherwise be completely hosed in is. I just don't think "Medic guns too good!" makes any sense unless you think they should just bounce off a scrake like nerf darts.

EDIT: vvv Two rifles+SMG is how my didn't gently caress up or come in late commando runs go, yes. SO MANY BULLETS

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 1, 2015

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Section Z posted:

An excellent post
Another thing to note about the medic shotgun is that I believe it's currently only firing 6 pellets as well. So not only is it tied for lowest per pellet damage in the shotgun class, it fires less pellets.

Edit: Not taking a medic pistol is pretty much a cardinal sin though. There isn't a class in the game yet that can't fit one into a good loadout. Support can do AA12, hunting shotgun, medic pistol. Commando can pick two rifles + medic pistol (or SMG for more bullets). Berserker can take pulverizer + whatever the hell they want or eviscerator + pistol (or smg).

Xyretire fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 1, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does the bleed damage of that one perk stack with the poison effect of the medic grenades? What's the best DPS medic gun, the shotgun? Trying to pick up this class and unsure what the best scrake/FP tactics are

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Medic perks apply to gun syringes, except for recharge rate. The recharge rate is set per-gun and never changes. The medic pistol is slow, and the speed increases with each higher tier of medic weapon. The medic rifle is really really fast and you should always buy it if you can.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does the bleed damage of that one perk stack with the poison effect of the medic grenades? What's the best DPS medic gun, the shotgun? Trying to pick up this class and unsure what the best scrake/FP tactics are

The shotgun has really high damage but takes about 3 times as long to reload as it does to empty, so I generally buy it last and save it for when poo poo hits the fan and something has to be cleaned up immediately.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you really want to get in a scrake's face, you should probably just buy a hammer and hit him with it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Akumos posted:

Patch hosed my server for a while but I brought it back as a Suicidal 10 wave for a bit

open 104.156.246.12:7777

I'm still having the patch problem (if I add the password string) and if I don't I get the screenshot linked above.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Haven't been on lately due to other things (GTAV mostly, honestly), doing a restart of ~Goon Squad~ while it's empty so it is relisted post-patch for the weekend. Should be back up in an hour.

♥ Dream

E. We're back!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 1, 2015

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Looks like it's Killing Floor gif time, thanks to a game last night. All are 20MB+:

This Scrake didn't like his twin much

Free torso!

Husk FF + grenade makes Scrake a sad man

You kids get off the drat roof!

Gifts for my new friends

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
Uh, another bug for the bug god: sometimes when I double-click on a weapon that I want to sell, the game will think that I'm double-clicking on whatever item is highlighted in orange. This frequently causes me to accidentally buy weapons that I don't want. I think (maybe) that the game isn't checking where my cursor is until the UI finishes fading in, so if I'm hovering over the item that I want to sell before the game is ready, it'll just think that I'm clicking on whatever is highlighted in orange. Testing it is kind of spotty- the bug only seems to occur the first time I access the trader pod after a wave. Subsequent runs to the trader don't give me any trouble.

Also, zeds don't set off metal detectors. :colbert:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Taffer posted:

Medic perks apply to gun syringes, except for recharge rate. The recharge rate is set per-gun and never changes. The medic pistol is slow, and the speed increases with each higher tier of medic weapon. The medic rifle is really really fast and you should always buy it if you can.

I am fairly certain this is not correct. A medic and a non-medic stood next to each other to compare recharge rates on their medic pistols. The medic recharged faster. So unless they lied to me for no apparent reason...

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

QwertySanchez posted:

The hunting shotgun is definitely improved over the original game if for no other reason than you can now reload at will with only 1 shell still in it.

Is it wrong to favor it over the AA-12?
Uhhhhh. No. Not as long as you have an AA-12 as your back-up. I prefer it the other way around, keeping the Double Barrel as my back-up. But there is no real difference other than that you can be sure that you will run out of AA-12 ammo before the round is over.
During the final round, pumping 20 rapid fire rounds into Hans at a time with an AA-12 at a fair distance is preferable to getting close enough to use your secondary fire with the Double Barrel.

My system has been working pretty well. Dump all my AA-12 ammo into Hans, then keep blasting him with both hunting barrels until he gets pissed at the guy doing the most damage to him (me) and then kiting him as long as I can keep shooting him as the rest of my team can heal and shoot from a safe distance until I one of us dies (usually me, just before HE dies. Depending on how good the medics are).
Thus is the life of the Support Class.

Slybo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 1, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I am fairly certain this is not correct. A medic and a non-medic stood next to each other to compare recharge rates on their medic pistols. The medic recharged faster. So unless they lied to me for no apparent reason...

If it is it's definitely reduced. I'm lvl 22 and at that level it should be 3 times faster.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Taffer posted:

If it is it's definitely reduced. I'm lvl 22 and at that level it should be 3 times faster.

+8% recharge rate per level. At 22 that's 176% speed increase, not 3 times faster.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

+8% recharge rate per level. At 22 that's 176% speed increase, not 3 times faster.

Well, +40% more than 15 should be over 20, but the 9mm still won't oneshot clot skulls like a 20 damage gun does on hard if you pick the Backup talent.

Video game math is always very mysterious. Even when not wondering if it is doing anything in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Oops, I was going by memory. Still, that's way way faster.