Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

I want to play Assassin's Creed Unity because I still have hopes somewhere in my heart that there's entertainment left in the series. I'm currently replaying 2/Brotherhood/Revelations before moving on to replaying Black Flag (gently caress 3) and then on to Unity.

I heard it was buggy and unfinished and awful and people were sliding through floors and missing textures and all kinds of horrible things. Have these problems been patched/fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
^^^Speaking of, can someone post that video a goon captured of someone zooming past Arno with a racecar sound overlaid? I loved that one.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

khy posted:

I heard it was buggy and unfinished and awful and people were sliding through floors and missing textures and all kinds of horrible things. Have these problems been patched/fixed?

I just started playing Unity for the first time last week and it hasn't been buggy for me. Everything seems to be working fine.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

khy posted:

It is a lot better than it was at launch. You shouldn't encounter any game-breaking bugs like that.

That doesn't save the game from being profoundly mediocre though.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

macnbc posted:

It is a lot better than it was at launch. You shouldn't encounter any game-breaking bugs like that.

That doesn't save the game from being profoundly mediocre though.

True. The game now has very little bugs, has great graphics, and the controls are very responsive, if different from the other Assassin Creeds. However, the actually plot and story is completely forgettable. Also, you will literally go mad with the insane amount of collectibles.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Darth Ballz posted:

True. The game now has very little bugs, has great graphics, and the controls are very responsive, if different from the other Assassin Creeds. However, the actually plot and story is completely forgettable. Also, you will literally go mad with the insane amount of collectibles.

Is it worse than the AC2 feathers? Because gently caress those feathers.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Nothing is worse than the feathers. Unity has more collectibles, but they're at least all marked on the loving map.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I personally think that Watch_Dogs was a better game overall than Unity. Yeah, it's that boring.

khy posted:

Is it worse than the AC2 feathers? Because gently caress those feathers.
Yes, it's way way worse than that. The amount of collectibles is absolutely insane and if you decide to open all chests you have my deepest sympathies.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

There were some features in Unity I absolutely loved. The graphics are pretty darn good, and walking through streets with the HUD off is engaging as hell, assuming crowds don't start glitching out to hell. But the plotline and the characters and the missions and my God pretty much everything is just so bland. It reminds me of AC1, where the game had this weird feeling like it hadn't yet found its footing and everything felt just a little awkward and bare.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Palpek posted:

Yes, it's way way worse than that. The amount of collectibles is absolutely insane and if you decide to open all chests you have my deepest sympathies.

I can't wait to actually play it- shoulda checked the graphics requirements before I preordered.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Palpek posted:

The amount of collectibles is absolutely insane

Yeah but if they're at least on the map I can handle it. AC2 feathers not being marked on the map and having to go back and revisit 50+ places to figure out which one I missed was PURE rear end.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Palpek posted:

I personally think that Watch_Dogs was a better game overall than Unity. Yeah, it's that boring.

I got like, 90% of them by just running around and opening them up while on my way to doing other missions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

kinmik posted:

^^^Speaking of, can someone post that video a goon captured of someone zooming past Arno with a racecar sound overlaid? I loved that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhl5yjMY0Ws

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Yeah but if they're at least on the map I can handle it. AC2 feathers not being marked on the map and having to go back and revisit 50+ places to figure out which one I missed was PURE rear end.

Collectibles get tagged on your map if you pass near them or within a fairly wide radius when you synchronize a viewpoint.

There's some stragglers that won't show up because of viewpoints, but you can buy some maps to show the locations for those ones.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

Collectibles get tagged on your map if you pass near them or within a fairly wide radius when you synchronize a viewpoint.

There's some stragglers that won't show up because of viewpoints, but you can buy some maps to show the locations for those ones.

Not in AC2, I don't belive they show up at all. That said, the worst collectible remains the flags in AC1.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Not in AC2, I don't belive they show up at all. That said, the worst collectible remains the flags in AC1.

I was talking about Unity. Not AC2.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Hah! Thanks. :cool:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I want to say they show up on the map if you manage to spy them clearly or within a certain radius of Ezio while in Eagle Vision, which is really just another way of saying they don't show up until you've found them. But I'm pretty sure I remember "finding" some while trailing a target with Eagle Vision on or something to that effect.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

I want to say they show up on the map if you manage to spy them clearly or within a certain radius of Ezio while in Eagle Vision, which is really just another way of saying they don't show up until you've found them. But I'm pretty sure I remember "finding" some while trailing a target with Eagle Vision on or something to that effect.

This was implemented starting in Brotherhood. It was not present in AC2.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In AC2 the 'feather' collectibles were not on the map in any way, shape, nor form. This meant turning to 3rd party websites for maps of the feather locations but it also meant if you missed a single feather in an area you'd have NO IDEA which feather you missed and would have to start going through the locations until you find the missing one.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

khy posted:

In AC2 the 'feather' collectibles were not on the map in any way, shape, nor form. This meant turning to 3rd party websites for maps of the feather locations but it also meant if you missed a single feather in an area you'd have NO IDEA which feather you missed and would have to start going through the locations until you find the missing one.

I think somewhere hidden in the menu was a thing that would say you got like 9/10 feathers in whatever district, which helped, but there was still no way to know which one of those 10 feathers was the one you were missing aside from going to each location.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

:P

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ratbert90 posted:

I got like, 90% of them by just running around and opening them up while on my way to doing other missions.
I don't know how you managed to do that when there are up to 40 chests per viewport in Unity and many of the chests can't be opened until you level up lockpicking so you can't open them for quite some time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JFC posted:

I just started playing Unity for the first time last week and it hasn't been buggy for me. Everything seems to be working fine.

Drop everything, ignore the main quest, go do Dead Kings, get all the Napoleon hats, wear an actual 18th century outfit. Seriously, it's amazing how Arno is disguised as the only man in Paris wearing a hood. They're not hard to get. Should take a few hours, but only because you need to do a few quests from Dead Kings to get them all. There's like 12. Go do it. Wear the hat. Be the first Assassin's Creed character to wear a goddamn hat. A nice loving hat. A respectable hat. A hat ladies will look at and think "That's a nice hat, I should probably sleep with whatever guy is underneath that hat." Because you deserve it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Drop everything, ignore the main quest, go do Dead Kings, get all the Napoleon hats, wear an actual 18th century outfit. Seriously, it's amazing how Arno is disguised as the only man in Paris wearing a hood. They're not hard to get. Should take a few hours, but only because you need to do a few quests from Dead Kings to get them all. There's like 12. Go do it. Wear the hat. Be the first Assassin's Creed character to wear a goddamn hat. A nice loving hat. A respectable hat. A hat ladies will look at and think "That's a nice hat, I should probably sleep with whatever guy is underneath that hat." Because you deserve it.

You mean the fourth (and fourth best) :colbert:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Edward's hat costumes were best, imo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
gently caress me now I'm going to replay IV with Hatted Edward like I should have the first time.

Just finished the copy of Unity that came with my Xbox One, basically out of obligation. Other than the cinematic framerate the game worked fine, thankfully. This was the third I'd played all the way through - I did II and IV before. I really dug those two, but this one never really grabbed me. The descend button is great, the city looks exactly as I would imagine Paris in that era would look, and the combat is really good once you get the hang of it, but the good parts never really seem to add up to a good whole. I stayed fairly close to the mainline campaign because the loving pile of side poo poo was too intimidating, and as a result I felt like I never had enough goddamn money. Having three kinds of in-game currency was pretty dumb. It kept telling me I had unspent Creed Points and I had to google to figure out what those were for. The story wasn't particularly interesting and I really wish the game was about Elise instead of Arno. I don't regret playing through it but it was definitely a slog. There won't be a replay and I'm putting it down now that I'm done with the story. If Victory is more of this, no thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The only two things I want them to retain from Unity are the climbing, the oh so good climbing, and the coop. That's all that I really want for whenever they sort out that engine.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

The only two things I want them to retain from Unity are the climbing, the oh so good climbing, and the coop. That's all that I really want for whenever they sort out that engine.

I wouldn't mind if they kept the investigative missions like the murder mysteries, except maybe put some level of difficulty into them. The ones in Unity were all painfully simple.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

macnbc posted:

I wouldn't mind if they kept the investigative missions like the murder mysteries, except maybe put some level of difficulty into them. The ones in Unity were all painfully simple.

If they built the game around the murder mysteries and made you more of a detective than just a crouch-parkouring sword machine that would be cool. Almost a Sherlock Holmes type deal?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TheScott2K posted:

If they built the game around the murder mysteries and made you more of a detective than just a crouch-parkouring sword machine that would be cool. Almost a Sherlock Holmes type deal?
Just play Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, the best detective game ever made, no need for Ubisoft to half-rear end another genre into AC :v:.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

As somebody who goddamn loves murder mysteries and Holmes stories, yes, Crimes and Punishments is legit the best. Just play that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

As somebody who goddamn loves murder mysteries and Holmes stories, yes, Crimes and Punishments is legit the best. Just play that.

I'm sorry, I can't handle historical fiction games that don't take place in a virtual reality simulation-within-the-game

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just give me more variety in the Assassins that I play.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS
Mar 3, 2009

Scientists have ascertained that there may be as many as... 24 stars in the cosmos

Palpek posted:

Just play Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, the best detective game ever made, no need for Ubisoft to half-rear end another genre into AC :v:.

Definitely fantastic. Though, really, most of the SH games are amazing. The Awakening and Jack The Ripper especially.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the SH games are surprisingly well-done. You don't hear about 'em much but they're fun stuff.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Orv posted:

I'm torn on the climbing. It's great for basically free-running across the city, but navigating around windows, tight spaces, ladders, ropes, etc. seems far worse than ever before. Trying to solo that co-op mission with all the snipers was a loving nightmare.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The more I play Rogue, the more I want a new Sea Dogs using this engine, especially after the Men'O'War mission where you take control of one.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Really digging AC: Chronicles China so far.

Yeah, it plays like a slightly kludgy Mark of the Ninja, but its still pretty sweet.

Shame about wasting some really cool settings on these games. This game shows just how bad-rear end a real Assassins Creed game set in China would be (same will likely be true for ACC:India and ACC:Russia).

Has Ubisoft given any word about the release schedule for these games? If they're coming in the next few months I foresee burnout due to similar gameplay unless the mechanics are dramatically mixed up with each game. I'd be cool with them being the yearly-off-release AC game seeing as we don't have any Vita or 360 AC games that can be ported for easy profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tempo 119 posted:

I'm torn on the climbing. It's great for basically free-running across the city, but navigating around windows, tight spaces, ladders, ropes, etc. seems far worse than ever before. Trying to solo that co-op mission with all the snipers was a loving nightmare.

I feel like I'm never qualified to discuss the controls beyond "Hey Unity feels so smooth" because even as someone who has played all of them on KB&M I've never had any of the problems; random jumping, jumping instead of climbing, etc. And I don't think it's even some kind of natural inclination towards the controls, I think I'm just obscenely lucky, so I always feel like I have nothing to contribute to that conversation when it inevitably comes up. :shrug:

E: Even that still sounds like me being a smug prick, I swear that's not my intent. :cripes:

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 3, 2015

• Locked thread