Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The performance penalty of castration is the reason I only blind people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wait, does castrating people actually slow down the game?

Also, I think people want playable theocracies is less about playing them and more about prevent a bullshit game over when the Byzantine Empire makes the Ecumenical Patriarch the emperor for some hosed up reason.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wait, does castrating people actually slow down the game?

The dicks are never actually removed from memory. The game keeps track of every lopped cock.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I guess my five year old processor is getting a bit long in the tooth, but man replacing all that stuff is just a pain in the rear end.

EUIV was a bit sluggish for me even at release. And that's understandable given how many things are being processed at the same time in any given game, but it does make me wonder how future Paradox games are going to be optimized to deal with that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It looks like a German Shepherd mix, his apartment is already buried in literal tons of hair.

Yes and yes.

Fintilgin posted:

I was thinking more about raw meat and bone shreds on the carpet/floor/sofa/buried in the laundry. :shobon:

Eh, it was less messy than the pig hearts at least:

Also don't have a garden, so outside treats aren't exactly practical.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

EUIV was a bit sluggish for me even at release. And that's understandable given how many things are being processed at the same time in any given game, but it does make me wonder how future Paradox games are going to be optimized to deal with that.

Eventually possibly the event compiler will be able to determine interdependencies and split up the event checks across multiple cores? Other things (supply distance, coring distance, income, AI calculations, etc.) are extremely parallelizable.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

Yes and yes.

do you just throw random animals towards your dog to see what it can hunt?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dibujante posted:

split up the event checks across multiple cores?

Already do that on CK2, that is also one of the causes of OOSes actually (and why mods get a bunch more OOS than we do). Though of course it can be improved a lot more I believe but what I've found most efficent is when I make the code smart enough to determine "this code can never happen for these 30 000 characters, so I'm never gonna test that"
Me and the dev Alexivan also implemented an optimization pre-processor to the language which tries to optimize the order in the logical branching of the triggers in the events.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

Already do that on CK2, that is also one of the causes of OOSes actually (and why mods get a bunch more OOS than we do). Though of course it can be improved a lot more I believe but what I've found most efficent is when I make the code smart enough to determine "this code can never happen for these 30 000 characters, so I'm never gonna test that"
Me and the dev Alexivan also implemented an optimization pre-processor to the language which tries to optimize the order in the logical branching of the triggers in the events.

Tell me you have a proprietary clausewitz assembly language you compile it to :3:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mans posted:

do you just throw random animals towards your dog to see what it can hunt?

Pretty much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Groogy posted:

Already do that on CK2, that is also one of the causes of OOSes actually (and why mods get a bunch more OOS than we do).
How does that ever not OOS? Per-thread RNGs and dividing the work in a deterministic way?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Yes and yes.

Now I feel guilty for not giving my kitties sashimi.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sindai posted:

How does that ever not OOS? Per-thread RNGs and dividing the work in a deterministic way?

Draw random numbers off of a shared, pre-allocated seed. Refresh at intervals?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a well-known fact that what more people want in CK2, is definitely more map area that only the player ever enters or leaves, as well as baron-level courts, so the game can just light on fire past 1000 AD.

Seriously I still don't get why RoI wasn't just a total conversion mod that let you use the new religions/cultures in the main map ruler designer. What a massive sink in performance for so little gain. Can't wait for that thing changing the Flykirate to use the lovely college of cardinals screen that you have to click approximately 8 million times to add any significant gold to. Strip the last fun thing out of non-Abrahamics I guess. Nobody plays Coptics or Neostorians anyway so why bother giving them anything cool.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

It's a well-known fact that what more people want in CK2, is definitely more map area that only the player ever enters or leaves, as well as baron-level courts

:nallears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

He's right.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

The only people who want playable baronies are retards who don't understand what the barons are for.

But honestly the more I think about it, I'd rather have another game than tack on more expansions so I guess I'm on the same page as you guys.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
It might be an interesting experiment to try to just break out CK2 spinoffs for mesoamerica, europe, west africa, central asia, india, china, japan, southeast asia

But for the time being I like RoI, but I often play in Persia and the like.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

HoI IV delayed again? I guess it was a given considering the lack of development diaries covering Hitlers most faithful ally.

Pictured, Johan realizing that they've forgotten to add the most important portrait & feature to HoI IV

As for CK2 spin-offs: Romance of the Three Kingdoms with palyable roaming characters/heroes, come on.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The only people who want playable baronies are retards who don't understand what the barons are for.

But honestly the more I think about it, I'd rather have another game than tack on more expansions so I guess I'm on the same page as you guys.

That's the joke. Groogy is a retard who doesn't understand why his game is fun. Not surprising to me though since a lot of SA mapgamer people seem to think it's a piece of webcomic art generation software instead of a game that you should play.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

... but feeding your doggie a moose leg is perfectly fine?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

That's the joke. Groogy is a retard who doesn't understand why his game is fun. Not surprising to me though since a lot of SA mapgamer people seem to think it's a piece of webcomic art generation software instead of a game that you should play.

Harsh, man. Bad day?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dibujante posted:

Harsh, man. Bad day?

Well he is sorta right, I have no idea why he finds the game fun.
Edit: Also seems to be some misunderstanding, I'm programmer, a drone, Doomdark is the honcho and does all the design.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 1, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Fintilgin posted:

As far as CKII goes I'd really like to see more focus on the late game. Not expanding the timeline or anything, but more focus on states become early modern etc. Also make it easier to get to the late game by optimizing some of the insane slowdown the longer you play.

Of course, I always feel most Paradox games have the cool stuff a bit more weighted towards the early game, which makes sense as 99% of people play the Grand Campaign, but more focus on late game stuff might help bring more games to conclusion rather then quitting early?

I liked how the CK1 tech tree had everything labeled, so you could see how you slowly progressed from leather armor to chain mail, or from ladders and rams to trebuchets , and especially the noble tree, where I think you were literally unlocking manners and court etiquette. The early game characters really felt like illiterate warlords squatting in hillforts.

Don't get me wrong, the CK2 tech tree is a much better system , but I wish it had some window dressing instead of just clicking buttons to watch numbers get bigger.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Pimpmust posted:

HoI IV delayed again? I guess it was a given considering the lack of development diaries covering Hitlers most faithful ally.

Pictured, Johan realizing that they've forgotten to add the most important portrait & feature to HoI IV

Nah.. I would never have a painting of a German Shepherd...

Lets see if i can dig up a picture of my dog tomorrow.. She's leonberger...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ghetto Prince posted:

I liked how the CK1 tech tree had everything labeled, so you could see how you slowly progressed from leather armor to chain mail, or from ladders and rams to trebuchets , and especially the noble tree, where I think you were literally unlocking manners and court etiquette. The early game characters really felt like illiterate warlords squatting in hillforts.

Don't get me wrong, the CK2 tech tree is a much better system , but I wish it had some window dressing instead of just clicking buttons to watch numbers get bigger.

For real, one of the changes CK2 did that I disliked the most was when on some expansion (I think Old Gods) they expanded the buildings system and replaced all the unique names for buildings on different levels with just "Keep I/II/III", "Barracks I/II/etc" and so on. Flavour, even small flavour, can go a long way.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

Harsh, man. Bad day?

I just hate LP retards

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

I just hate LP retards

Makes sense, Larry Parrish

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Quite frankly it's pretty stupid to respond with an accusation of feature creep with saying that you want to add even more stuff to the game, it doesn't really help your cause at all.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Please don't bite the devs, it's really cool that they post here and I think we can keep things to constructive criticism.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I just hate LP retards

Their suspiciously sticky dollars do in part fund the development of the parts of the game you like, though. There are tradeoffs.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Soup du Jour posted:

Quite frankly it's pretty stupid to respond with an accusation of feature creep with saying that you want to add even more stuff to the game, it doesn't really help your cause at all.

Beep boop what is sarcasm

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Please don't bite the devs, it's really cool that they post here and I think we can keep things to constructive criticism.

They're big boys now, they can handle it

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

It's like your don't even follow development of the game at all!

Tindahbawx posted:

... but feeding your doggie a moose leg is perfectly fine?

Yes? I'm not sure how this follows what I said. To clarify I meant feeding them outside isn't practical so they get to eat various animals parts inside.

Larry Parrish posted:

I will share a secret with you: Different people find different things fun.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I will share a secret with you: Different people find different things fun.
Can you point out to me the players who looked at the College of Cardinals system and said: "What a fun, rewarding and engaging game system. I wish there was more of this in the game!" ?

I actually do hope you implement it, because reformed-Norse has way too many advantages really, and they could do with some negative attention.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Farecoal posted:

Beep boop what is sarcasm

Groogy posted:

Nah, I am still playing it and I still have a ton more I wanna add. This game is probably gonna outlive me.

This really does not read like sarcasm to me.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Soup du Jour posted:

This really does not read like sarcasm to me.

I am the stupid one, I thought you were talking about Larry Parish's post

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Darkrenown posted:

Yes? I'm not sure how this follows what I said. To clarify I meant feeding them outside isn't practical so they get to eat various animals parts inside.

So is the moose leg something for sale in Stockholm or do you go hunt your own? How well does the leg keep? My sister's dog loves to chew and this might make a hilarious gift some day.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Jesus Christo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Can you point out to me the players who looked at the College of Cardinals system and said: "What a fun, rewarding and engaging game system. I wish there was more of this in the game!" ?

Nope. Can you point out the universal poll of CK2 players that proves no one likes it? I was mostly thinking of India when I made my previous post though, I haven't actually played a Catholic realm since SoA came out - and I don't work on CK, so I have no first hand experience of how the CoC plays. My point was just that it's dumb to say people who like certain aspects of a game are retards just because you (general you) don't like them yourself. If significant numbers of players didn't like map or timeline expansions then they wouldn't sell and we'd stop making them.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So is the moose leg something for sale in Stockholm or do you go hunt your own? How well does the leg keep? My sister's dog loves to chew and this might make a hilarious gift some day.

They're sold in big pet stores here, I don't hunt. They keep pretty well, they're dried or something and the meat is more or less jerky.
:woof:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 2, 2015

• Locked thread