Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

The Barnes & Noble sale event has everything marked down to 75% off now. I just reserved a copy of Dominion: Dark Ages for $10, Smallworld for $12.50, and the Star Wars LCG core set and 2 expansions at $7.50 a piece. Check https://www.bn.com to see if your local stores have anything in stock.

To add to this, I also just added Descent, 2nd edition for $15. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Where is the solo option? :colbert:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mister Sinewave posted:

I like the wormhole :haw:

I traced a TI3 wormhole :ssh:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Are you hardcore?
Yes -> Mage knight
No -> Theme or game
Theme -> Eldritch Horror
Game -> Agricola

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Gutter Owl posted:

Y'know what? I'm home sick, I'll jump on the grenade.

[grimdark]

Chaos in the Old World is missing from your list. It's pretty grimdark :black101: and even comes with lovely minis you could paint if you wanted.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

Sup board game thread.

Are you sick of having OPINIONS about BOARD GAMES??

Well don't worry, because I'm here to help!

The below flowchart contains no less than 99 GAMES! Use it to find a game, and never worry about having opinions about games again!!

Full image on Imgur. Best viewed on a 1920-wide screen.

Links to board game summaries below:

7 Wonders | A Game of Thrones | A la Carte | Acquire | Agricola | Alhambra | Android: Netrunner | Animal upon Animal | Archipelago | BattleCon: Devastation of Indines | Battlestar Galactica | Betrayal at House on the Hill | Ca$h n Gun$ | Can't Stop | Carcassonne | Castles of Mad King Ludwig | Chaos in the Old World | Concept | Cosmic Encounter | Coup | Cutthroat Caverns | Cyclades | Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Edition) | Dixit | Dobble/Spot It | Dominion | Dungeon Lords | Dungeon Petz | Eclipse | Eldritch Horror | Escape: The Curse of the Temple | Evo | Evolution | Forbidden Desert | Galaxy Trucker | Ghost Blitz | Ghost Stories | Hanabi | Hey, That's My Fish! | Hive | Jaipur | Kemet | King of New York | Ladies and Gentlemen | Libertalia | Love Letter | Machi Koro | Mage Knight Board Game | Mage Wars | Marrakech | No Thanks | Notre Dame | One Night Ultimate Werewolf | Patchwork | PitchCar | Power Grid | Quarriors | Qwirkle | Race for the Galaxy | Red7 | Riff Raff | Risk Legacy | Saboteur | Shadows over Camelot | Sheriff of Nottingham | Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective | Skull | Small World | Snake Oil | Space Alert | Space Cadets: Dice Duel | Splendor | Spyfall | Star Realms | Star Wars: Imperial Assault | Summoner Wars: Master Set | Sushi Dice | Sushi Go! | Takenoko | Tash Kalar: Arena of Legends | Terra Mystica | The Little Prince | The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game | The Magic Labyrinth | The Resistance: Avalon | Through the Ages | Through the Desert | Ticket to Ride | Timeline | Toc Toc Woodman | Tragedy Looper | Tsuro | Twilight Imperium | Twilight Struggle | Ugg-Tect | Ultimate Werewolf | Viticulture | Valley of the Kings | Wiz War

This is the culmination of 3 months' worth of writing after looking at that board game flowchart and deciding it was terrible, then designing a flowchart and realising it basically meant nothing to the 99% of people who don't know what any of the board games on it even were.

Enjoy!

You switched the links around for Viticulture and Valley of the Kings. :ssh:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Goddammit, double post. I never have anything interesting to add to the thread, most of the time when my board game group gets together, we play Dominion and a bunch of filler games (KoT, Coup, Love Letter).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

EvilChameleon posted:

Chaos in the Old World is missing from your list. It's pretty grimdark :black101: and even comes with lovely minis you could paint if you wanted.

CitOW is super good, but PubicMice specifically asked for not-wargames.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Rutibex posted:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

Are you hardcore?
Yes -> Mage knight
No -> Theme or game
Theme -> Eldritch Horror
Game -> Agricola

Are you a grandfather?
Yes -> one of those squad leader games

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

"control"? Isn't that a bit of an overstatement in Talisman?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also COIN is solitaire

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

NuclearPotato posted:

You switched the links around for Viticulture and Valley of the Kings. :ssh:

No I didn't :ninja:

but thanks

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

I like the wormhole :haw:

I too loved the wormhole.
It's a really nice chart.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I like it, much more streamlined. This is the Eldridtch Horror to the last charts Arkham.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I am posting that chart to everyone who showed me the first one because I like board games.

Because I need to educate people.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Rutibex posted:

I like it, much more streamlined. This is the Eldridtch Horror to the last charts Arkham.

MikeCrotch posted:

I am posting that chart to everyone who showed me the first one because I like board games.

Because I need to educate people.

If you do, it's probably good to also link the summary page, because otherwise they'll go "Oh, space alert, huh" and forget about it five minutes later.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Pictures / details of the English-produced version of Mysterium:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/34in89/some_pics_and_details_on_the_libellud_version_of/

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Why would you link to the reddit thread instead of the page with the actual pictures and details?

Game looks cool though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

burger time posted:

Why would you link to the reddit thread instead of the page with the actual pictures and details?

Game looks cool though.

My mistake, wrong copy/paste.

Yeah, the art looks less bad than I was expecting-- it may even be cool to get both and mix and match the cards if the backs use the same (which I doubt they will).

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Bottom Liner posted:

To add to this, I also just added Descent, 2nd edition for $15. Crazy.

Is this a regional thing or a month-late April Fool's joke? All I see are MSRP boardgames.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's only in store

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

JohnnySavs posted:

Is this a regional thing or a month-late April Fool's joke? All I see are MSRP boardgames.

There are no games of any kind on sale at my local store, so it's probably best to give them a call before making the trip.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Y'know what? I'm home sick, I'll jump on the grenade.

PubicMice, you want game recs that replicate Dark Souls? Well, there's not going to be a perfect analogue, unless Plaid Hat or Cryptozoic or someone snags the license. And that hasn't turned out well in the past. Even KD:M isn't a great analogue, being Monster Hunter meets Legend of the Overfiend more than anything else. But you can deliver on pieces of what makes the Souls games interesting.

Do you want an atmosphere of oppressive gloom and tilted odds? Try Space Hulk. Play a small handful of soldiers against endless swarms of aliens. It's a GW game, but it's one of the two GW games that's remotely playable (the other being Blood Bowl). Also has very detailed miniatures. Plus: no dick belts.

Do you want an adrenaline rush against a backdrop of fatalism? Space Alert. Sure, the presentation is much more dark comedy than sober horror, but you're still dicking around in a world where your life is cheap and no one will care if you're hollowed out by alien parasites. Plus! Still no mutilated naked women.

Do you want to solve a game by dying on it until you break through? Tragedy Looper is a puzzle you beat by flinging your own corpse at it, along with the corpses of your friends, loved ones, and random passerby, all for the amusement of a deranged, bloodthirsty god. Alternately, you can be the deranged, bloodthirsty god. And while the game is coated in anime, there's not so much as a panty flash, let alone a lion literally made of dicks.

Are you just really, really invested in playing the cover of a norwegian metal album? Uhhh there's Cave Evil I guess? Never played it, but I'm reliably informed that it's certainly a thing that exists. And uh, bile fascination is baked right in. I'm halfway certain that "bile" might be one of the game's resources. I cannot comment on the presence or absence of dicknipples.

Maybe Claustrophobia? Maybe there are solo variants or one could play both sides. But I could see subbing in miniatures for that game being pretty easy

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I recently picked up Claustrophobia and the minis - while prepainted - are kinda ehhhh :effort: and cartoony looking, so this would be a prime option.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

There are no games of any kind on sale at my local store, so it's probably best to give them a call before making the trip.

Only thing at mine was a 15 before tax copy of Memoir 44. Eh, thought about it and decided I'd save the money for something I actually want instead of something that was a good deal.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

JohnnySavs posted:

Check this link to see the games that are being put on 75% off clearance:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1349664/bn-spring-2015-red-dot-clearance-sale-75-select-it

Then search for them on bn.com and select to pick up in-store. They'll probably be out of stock at most places, but you might get lucky. Then reserve a copy through that system and wait for an e-mail to go pick it up.

Through the site, I was able to reserve and pick up Star Wars LCG core set for $10, Eldritch Horror for $15, and a Small World expansion for $5. Not a bad haul for just hearing about it today.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

JazzFlight posted:

Check this link to see the games that are being put on 75% off clearance:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1349664/bn-spring-2015-red-dot-clearance-sale-75-select-it

Then search for them on bn.com and select to pick up in-store. They'll probably be out of stock at most places, but you might get lucky. Then reserve a copy through that system and wait for an e-mail to go pick it up.

Through the site, I was able to reserve and pick up Star Wars LCG core set for $10, Eldritch Horror for $15, and a Small World expansion for $5. Not a bad haul for just hearing about it today.

They have those games at my B&N, but none of them are on sale. They must have missed the memo. Either that, or they haven't marked anything.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
"the best art we've ever seen in almost five years of running Shut Up & Sit Down" is apparently facebook game tier art.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

How does it feel to not have a soul?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SilverMike posted:

How does it feel to not have a soul?

I think by definition it doesn't feel at all.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

"the best art we've ever seen in almost five years of running Shut Up & Sit Down" is apparently facebook game tier art.

Imperial Settlers is very pretty though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Had my second ever game of Russian Railroads last night after I think a year and a half or more since the first.

It's a pretty solid WP game, I had a good time.

Seemed to be a LOT fewer trains coming out than the last time I played though, and the game was both generally lower-scoring and quicker than the previous time.

It maintains a place in the stable of WP games I really like along with Tzolk'in and Viticulture/Tuscany.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Gutter Owl posted:

CitOW is super good, but PubicMice specifically asked for not-wargames.

I dunno, CitOW is "not-wargamey" enough to be worth a mention at least.

Either way Gutter Owl is probably right in that Cave Evil is probably the closest you can get the grimmest darkest of thematic-over-balanced board games without being poo poo about it. It uses standups instead of minis but hey just follow the threads advice of pimping out a copy with worse games' minis (or just look at some of the Reaper minis).

Moving on, I went and played Agricola for what must of been a while. Playing it again feels like coming back to a real classic, most so in that Agricola feels like a game that didn't have to change up the worker placement formula to compete with other worker placements. I forget how straightforward that heavy game can get.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I picked up Glen More recently, played it last night with 4 and really enjoyed it. It's in a really nice spot with regards to weight and playtime, sort of in between Carcassonne, Castles of Burgundy and Keyflower if I had to compare it to other games. The variable turn order mechanic makes it really hard to optimise stuff out in what is otherwise a pretty straightforward euro resource optimisation game.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Quick Falling 2014 question for anyone who may have played it. We played our first few games at work today and one of them seemed to end up in a weird situation where at the very beginning the 3 fallers picked up an Extra, Extra, and Move with no riders out on the table. It seemed like in this case nothing could possibly happen until I get to the bottom of the deck and the grounds start coming out. Is this correct or did I miss a rule somewhere?

(Has anyone but BL played this game???)

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 2, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Had my second ever game of Russian Railroads last night after I think a year and a half or more since the first.

It's a pretty solid WP game, I had a good time.

Seemed to be a LOT fewer trains coming out than the last time I played though, and the game was both generally lower-scoring and quicker than the previous time.

It maintains a place in the stable of WP games I really like along with Tzolk'in and Viticulture/Tuscany.

It's funny, there seems to be this big backlash towards this game on retrospective things like the "how has it held up after a year" geek lists and the opinionated gamer retrospectives. Even people that seem pretty deep in the euro camp seem to not like it

An example "Russian Railroads – Russian Railroads took home most of last year’s gaming award hardware. Gravity also took home most of last year’s Academy Awards (7 wins!). Both are the same kind of perfectly polished, perfectly pointless awards-show vehicles that seem to attract instant attention and are unlikely to have much staying power."

Was there a major hype train* surrounding this game?

* :banjo:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bubble-T posted:

I picked up Glen More recently, played it last night with 4 and really enjoyed it. It's in a really nice spot with regards to weight and playtime, sort of in between Carcassonne, Castles of Burgundy and Keyflower if I had to compare it to other games. The variable turn order mechanic makes it really hard to optimise stuff out in what is otherwise a pretty straightforward euro resource optimisation game.

Where did you find it? I've been looking for a copy for a little while now.

E: Never mind, I just remembered you are in Australia. So it is far far away and probably ran you $65+

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 2, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Where did you find it? I've been looking for a copy for a little while now.

E: Never mind, I just remembered you are in Australia. So it is far far away and probably ran you $65+

$30 from a possibly-less-than-reputable seller (seriously, guy had Sea Shepherd stuff up around a maritime map and looked a bit nervous when I came to collect/pay until he recognised my name). The box was slightly banged up so I wonder if it was something that couldn't be sold in stores due to superficial shipping damage? Shrink wrapped with components all unpunched and in perfect condition.

The one benefit to being in Australia is there's very little seller's market here, people will sell fairly cheaply to offload locally because shipping costs too much. I picked up Pax Porfiriana for $20 at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bubble-T posted:

$30 from a possibly-less-than-reputable seller (seriously, guy had Sea Shepherd stuff up around a maritime map and looked a bit nervous when I came to collect/pay until he recognised my name). The box was slightly banged up so I wonder if it was something that couldn't be sold in stores due to superficial shipping damage? Shrink wrapped with components all unpunched and in perfect condition.

The one benefit to being in Australia is there's very little seller's market here, people will sell fairly cheaply to offload locally because shipping costs too much. I picked up Pax Porfiriana for $20 at one point.

The second game I've been looking for that is out of print. Love your taste. Hate your guts.

If you stumble across a second copy of either, let me know.