Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Hobbit trilogy exists as a vehicle for developing new film technologies, and I liked all of those, so it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm surprised that you're bringing up this in particular, but not the extremely long and boring sequence at the end of the second movie where they literally smother Smaug in liquid gold and it does absolutely nothing. I mean, not only does it not hurt him, but the entire sequence could be cut from the movie and it would make no difference.

The character limit in these post boxes is simply not big enough to list every boring over the top 3d sequence in the Hobbit movies. I also don't care.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

computer parts posted:

...It's ok if you don't like it for being less personal than the book, but it's important to realize that they weren't trying to make a personal story like the book...

Which raises the question, why make it at all? The book is a personal story. He clearly wasn't interested in making an adaption of the Hobbit so much as wanking himself over film tech and wiping up with the appendices.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Because they owned the film rights and the movies made 3 billion or whatever and are decently entertaining.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sunday at work posted:

Which raises the question, why make it at all? The book is a personal story. He clearly wasn't interested in making an adaption of the Hobbit so much as wanking himself over film tech and wiping up with the appendices.
The three films together appear to have made just shy of $3bn dollars. That is to say, $3,000,000,000.

That's why.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Because they owned the film rights and the movies made 3 billion or whatever and are decently entertaining.

THey also get to make video games and other derivative works based on the movie versions, which I suspect is an additional incentive to add even more CGI battle scenes. The forty minute barrel scene might be wholly gratuitous from any narrative perspective, but it's great raw meat for a video game tie in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sunday at work posted:

Because people wanted more movies like Lord of the Rings.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

THey also get to make video games and other derivative works based on the movie versions, which I suspect is an additional incentive to add even more CGI battle scenes. The forty minute barrel scene might be wholly gratuitous from any narrative perspective, but it's great raw meat for a video game tie in.

Video game makers have done that sort of stuff for ages without needing justification from the films.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Nessus posted:

The three films together appear to have made just shy of $3bn dollars. That is to say, $3,000,000,000.

That's why.

Budget: $745 million
Box office: $2.932 billion

ROI: ~300%, before merchandising, DVD sales, etc.

That's some pretty good money, right there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Good money, yes, shame about the bad films.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Making a single Silm movie would be a waste of time (even doing it as a ten, eleven-hour arthouse picture would run headlong into the story stopping and restarting multiple times), and there's no chance in hell you could make a good series of Silmarillion films as long as Chris Tolkien or anyone with his inclinations holds the film rights to the material. Because Tolkien never wrote more than fragments of some of the critical stories (the exile of the Noldor, the story of Tuor), you'd have to make a whole lot up. It's simply too overstuffed with detail- you need to go into a lot of depth even to make a miniseries or whatever showing off the decline and fall of the Feanorians, which otherwise could be a fairly tight and powerful story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only part of The Silmarillion that could possibly make a good movie is the story of Turin. It was easily the most "personal" story in The Sil as it chronicled more of his life and his feelings than any other character. Probably why Tolkien also went and wrote The Children of Hurin.

But thank God Chris Tolkien is alive to prevent that from happening. I was curious, can he put a stipulation in his will or something that whoever gets the rights to The Silmarillion after his death cannot ever sell them to filmmakers?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Good money, yes, shame about the bad films.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. They aren't good action films, they aren't good character films, and they aren't good adaptions of The Hobbit.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NikkolasKing posted:

The only part of The Silmarillion that could possibly make a good movie is the story of Turin. It was easily the most "personal" story in The Sil as it chronicled more of his life and his feelings than any other character. Probably why Tolkien also went and wrote The Children of Hurin.

But thank God Chris Tolkien is alive to prevent that from happening. I was curious, can he put a stipulation in his will or something that whoever gets the rights to The Silmarillion after his death cannot ever sell them to filmmakers?
The Ainulindale could make a nice trippy Fantasia-type sequence with the right music and art - Evan Palmer's comic version is good; I particularly like his Melkor. And an animated version of Beren and Luthien could really work well, done by a studio like Ghibli. Though if Disney did it I guess there's a built-in musical number when Luthien sings Morgoth to sleep... :stonklol:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NikkolasKing posted:

The copyright will inevitably expire at some point. It's what, Author's death plus 75 years in the US? And Tolkien died in 1977 I think?

Runcible Cat posted:

The Ainulindale could make a nice trippy Fantasia-type sequence with the right music and art - Evan Palmer's comic version is good; I particularly like his Melkor. And an animated version of Beren and Luthien could really work well, done by a studio like Ghibli. Though if Disney did it I guess there's a built-in musical number when Luthien sings Morgoth to sleep... :stonklol:

Someone mentioned it above but Beren and Luthien could theoretically be a not-bad opera.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The copyright will inevitably expire at some point. It's what, Author's death plus 75 years in the US? And Tolkien died in 1977 I think?

Someone mentioned it above but Beren and Luthien could theoretically be a not-bad opera.

The Silm will enter the public domain in Europe in 2043 with the LOTR and Hobbit, but all derivative works are protected by trademarks held by the Tolkien Estate Ltd and trademarks can be renewed indefinitely so long as they continue to use it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sunday at work posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. They aren't good action films, they aren't good character films, and they aren't good adaptions of The Hobbit.

Actually, they are good.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Beren and Luthien would make a kickin' rad animated film.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I think the Lay of Leithian would be better served as two films, with the first one covering everything up to the aftermath of Tol-in-Gaurhoth and the second one going up to the return of Beren and Luthien from Valinor.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I guess I'm in the minority here. I was so pleased with LotR, even though I was shocked at the time that the guy who made DeadAlive got to direct it. And I was really excited to see the Hobbit, even liked that it was being stretched into three movies. I thought, heck, that means more time in the Middle-Earth! How could things go wrong? But the endless padding, non-stop videogame battles, and excruciating overuse of CG really turned me off. Enough that I didn't even bother to see the third movie in theaters. I don't know, maybe it's just the people I'm around, but it's strange to see people actually liking the movies.

Though, it did well enough that hella people had to have gone to see it. Maybe the third one is a masterpiece that redeems the first two, who knows? And this coming from a guy who really enjoyed PJ's King Kong.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

computer parts posted:

Actually, they are good.

It's cool you liked them. I sure didn't. Because I love Jackson's lotr movies I was actually pretty saddened by the fact that I found the Hobbit: part 1 to be a boring, bloated, ungainly mess of a film that I couldn't even finish.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

VanSandman posted:

Beren and Luthien would make a kickin' rad animated film.
Hopefully involving the evil cats from the early version. Forcing Beren to hunt giant mutant Morgul-mice with his bare hands. :3:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a kitten posted:

It's cool you liked them. I sure didn't. Because I love Jackson's lotr movies I was actually pretty saddened by the fact that I found the Hobbit: part 1 to be a boring, bloated, ungainly mess of a film that I couldn't even finish.

You should probably try rewatching it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Narzack posted:

I guess I'm in the minority here. I was so pleased with LotR, even though I was shocked at the time that the guy who made DeadAlive got to direct it. And I was really excited to see the Hobbit, even liked that it was being stretched into three movies. I thought, heck, that means more time in the Middle-Earth! How could things go wrong? But the endless padding, non-stop videogame battles, and excruciating overuse of CG really turned me off. Enough that I didn't even bother to see the third movie in theaters. I don't know, maybe it's just the people I'm around, but it's strange to see people actually liking the movies.

Though, it did well enough that hella people had to have gone to see it. Maybe the third one is a masterpiece that redeems the first two, who knows? And this coming from a guy who really enjoyed PJ's King Kong.

I wouldn't go so far to say it was worth it, but the Riddles in the Dark scene was spectacular, I thought.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I wonder if the Hobbit would have been stronger had it been made before LotR. Then, all the incessant references and callbacks wouldn't seem so frustratingly like PJ repeating himself, but cool foreshadowing. But, I definitely wish he hadn't been so obvious as to the identity of the Necromancer. I remember reading the books for the first time when I was a young lad, and the reveal that the Necromancer was actually Sauron was totally rad.

That, and having Saruman so cartoonishly evil from the start really bothered me. I was hoping that they would show him as one of the good guys, as head of the White Council, so that the contrast to his fall would be stronger.

So it goes. In the end, it doesn't change what was written, and not even the worst adaptation can take away from the greatness of Tolkien's work.

computer parts posted:

You should probably try rewatching it.

Rewatched both Extended Editions on blu-ray. Still didn't like them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One thing that struck me when I was rereading The Fall of Gondolin recently is that, given that it was inspired by Tolkien's experiences at the Somme, it casts the British as the bad guys. The Somme was where the British first used the tank, and Melko's forces notoriously use tanks. Glorfindel kills his Balrog with a headbutt from his spiked helmet- a pickelhaube. It's fascinating, along with the War of Wrath as an exaggerated Western Front where the host of the Valar takes a week to advance a mile.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wouldn't go so far to say it was worth it, but the Riddles in the Dark scene was spectacular, I thought.

True. Now imagine a movie or two of well shot character moments like that actually telling the story of The Hobbit instead of 10 hours of turgid CGI video game cutscenes and emo dwarves.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hahaha.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dwarves who tell each other jokes about Baptists on bridges.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Pretty entertaining action blockbuster movies

Do not convey the themes and ideas of the novel 'The Hobbit' very well

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Expectation is the source of disappointment in adaptations. Seek to escape Samsara and attain Nerdvana.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Some of us are so nerdy we're still mad at all the movie changes to LOTR. The Hobbit movies haven't sunk in yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RIP Glorfindel II

AND WHAT HAPPENED TO BOROMIR'S GIANT BEARD AND HORNED HELMET :byodood:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Data Graham posted:

RIP Glorfindel II

AND WHAT HAPPENED TO BOROMIR'S GIANT BEARD AND HORNED HELMET :byodood:

Sean Bean gets a pass because, well, Sean Bean.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Still pissed about Haldir and the Lorien elves showing up at Helm's Deep.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Oracle posted:

Still pissed about Haldir and the Lorien elves showing up at Helm's Deep.

Still grateful they replaced Arwen with Haldir. :colbert:

I liked the LotR movies a lot, and only had angst about the treatment of Faramir and Treebeard. Admittedly, both are difficult characters to portray well in a movie.

If the LotR movies were action movies with some horror elements, they at least had enough drama and characterization behind them to have a story behind the scenery. I don't feel that the Hobbit movies had that same depth, in spite of all of the backstory stuff. The first movie in particular was just one long, drawn-out chase scene. I think the length alone could have worked, but the pacing was all wrong. There are ways to create tension and the sense of always being chased, without showing characters physically running around constantly. See: The Fellowship of the Ring (the book).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The first Hobbit movie at least seems like it couldn't find a balance between the comedic moments, the dramatic moments, and everything else. Even though Gimili, Merry, and Pippin were pretty much treated as comedy relief in the LOTR movies, it at least fit in pretty well with everything else that was going on. The Hobbit never seemed to quite fit together.

Also the dwarves look too much like handsome humans with beards (well, some of them anyways...I know they're supposed to be young but they didn't really look like what we think of as Middle Earth dwarves IMO)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gimli is also supposed to be a young dwarf in lotr, isn't he?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hobbit is one of those things where I really enjoyed it when I watched it, but have no interest in watching it again. I do think that Billy Connolly turning up riding a pig into battle is one of the cinematic highlights of my life though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Wrong thread haha.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Levitate posted:

Also the dwarves look too much like handsome humans with beards (well, some of them anyways...I know they're supposed to be young but they didn't really look like what we think of as Middle Earth dwarves IMO)

Thorin's line being amazingly handsome but short humans and then everyone else being various states of ugly and old was pretty hilarious.