Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

I love that the 15 second preview at the end of the episode only mentions the conclusion of the D'Arby fight and doesn't show anything beyond that, for maximum ownage to the anime only audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's similar to the Hol Horse/J. Geil preview in that regard with the preview looking all happy and silly, and then Avdol gets his brains blown out (but not really).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Avdol, so 'black party member' he dies first twice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cool Ice ain't such a bad change, really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, I'd never interpreted Dan D'Arby trying to steal Terry D'Arby's girlfriend as creepy, but a 25 or so year old man hitting on a 15 year old's girlfriend is loving weird as hell.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I really wish that game console was real.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here is something I made for the anime thread to commemorate Avdol dying next week (presumably, I'll have to change the episode of death if not). I guess I might make one for the other dudes who die, but Avdol is kind of the forgotten man so I thought it would be cool to bask in his coolest moments a little.

Warning, big resolution when clicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvNN1km3Eg

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aurain posted:

Honestly, I'd never interpreted Dan D'Arby trying to steal Terry D'Arby's girlfriend as creepy, but a 25 or so year old man hitting on a 15 year old's girlfriend is loving weird as hell.
:stare: I'd figured their age divide was the same but about an additional ten years on both ends.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Aurain posted:

Here is something I made for the anime thread to commemorate Avdol dying next week (presumably, I'll have to change the episode of death if not). I guess I might make one for the other dudes who die, but Avdol is kind of the forgotten man so I thought it would be cool to bask in his coolest moments a little.

Warning, big resolution when clicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvNN1km3Eg

I love it and if you do Iggy just have half of it be random dog sound effects/farting montage and 1/4th of it be serious

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Fucknag posted:

Came to post this, glad I got beaten.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Aurain posted:

Wonder if something happened in the time between Viz publishing SC and ASB, because he's Vanilla in Viz.
Possibly, but the most likely answer is just that Namco-Bandai and Crunchyroll didn't bother to check and just assumed they should change it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Taking bets on when this music will play. Post-Vanilla Ice? Kakyoin's final Emerald? Joseph's last (but not really) talk with Jotaro? All three?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I could see that playing for a scene with Kakyoin.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Aurain posted:

The Miasma of the Void sounds pretty awesome, Cool Ice, not as much.

FYI, "The Miasma of Void" is more accurate to the Japanese text, and sounds cooler too. "Spirit of Emptiness" is just a lingering mistranslation that someone probably pulled out of their own rear end.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
"Miasma" is kind of a weird choice of word. It makes him sound like he has poison powers or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Spirit of Emptiness fits better with the whole all-consuming void thing.

In the VIZ edition it's referred to as the Dark Void of Vanilla Ice, which is also a better word choice than miasma.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Supersonic Shine posted:

Taking bets on when this music will play. Post-Vanilla Ice? Kakyoin's final Emerald? Joseph's last (but not really) talk with Jotaro? All three?

I feel like Polnareff should be in the scene, but that might be because of the Frenchy-French accordion thing it has going on.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It sounded more Italian to me, which made me think of Caesar, then Joseph soon after. It might get played during Joseph's "ascension" to really mess with the unspoiled viewers' heads.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Miasma" is kind of a weird choice of word. It makes him sound like he has poison powers or something.

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Spirit of Emptiness fits better with the whole all-consuming void thing.

In the VIZ edition it's referred to as the Dark Void of Vanilla Ice, which is also a better word choice than miasma.

瘴気 (shouki), the word they use in the chapter titles, literally means "polluted air that causes disease," although it can also mean "a gloomy and oppressive atmosphere/mood" if you want to get figurative about it. The latter may have been what Viz was going for with their translation.

Anyway, if it's not thematically fitting with Vanilla Ice, that's a problem for Araki and/or his editor.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"The dick is extremely important."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not a fan of the low-riders.

Daxing Dan posted:

瘴気 (shouki), the word they use in the chapter titles, literally means "polluted air that causes disease," although it can also mean "a gloomy and oppressive atmosphere/mood" if you want to get figurative about it. The latter may have been what Viz was going for with their translation.

Anyway, if it's not thematically fitting with Vanilla Ice, that's a problem for Araki and/or his editor.
Well I suppose there's also the point about Vanilla Ice literally and figuratively being infected by Dio's evil. I'll admit this may be a case of just being attached to the iteration I heard first ("The Interfering Speedwagon" vs. "Speedwagon, the Meddler"), but certain Crunchyroll translation choices make me place them on the "Literal" end of the localization scale.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Miasma was used in the French translation of the manga as well.

I think it fits, considering miasma basically refers to an "air of sickness, bad air", Vanilla Ice is invisible like air and is pretty bad for your health. Like a mysterious disease that will make you disappear. Also he travels through the air.

Supersonic Shine posted:

It sounded more Italian to me, which made me think of Caesar, then Joseph soon after. It might get played during Joseph's "ascension" to really mess with the unspoiled viewers' heads.

It's Greek, actually :eng101:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 2, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Glad DavidPro is giving JoJo the adaption it deserves

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Viz did not publish All Star Battle, that's Namco-Bandai.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I could see that playing for a scene with Kakyoin.

It pretty much begs to be played during his final moments talking about how good of a time he had on the adventure, and saying bye to his parents. Poor Kakyoin :smith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just a quick reminder that according to Amazon (UK) both Vol 2 and 3 of the hardcover Phantom Blood release comes out on the 21st of May. Those two finish up Phantom Blood so support some more JoJo and buy 'em if you don't have the digital version (and even if you do).

e: I've looked at Amazon USA and it says Tuesday (5th May) for the Volume 2 hardcover and August 4 for Vol 3, so who knows what's actually happening.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-01/microsoft-age-guessing-site-confirms-hirohiko-araki-vampire-status/.87734

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 2, 2015

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Don't think anyone pointed this out yet, but D'Arby totally has Dio's colors in this shot. And a big cheesy heart, just like his master.

David Production knows their audience well.

Edit: I want Joseph Joestar to narrate fighting game tournaments.

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 2, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm just imagining the meeting where DIO made the mansion staff adopt his heart motif. Hell, he might've approached everyone but only Vanilla Ice, Petshop, and D'Arby would do it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crazy D is a secret DIO henchman.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurain posted:

Crazy D is a secret DIO henchman.
DIO felt Josuke develop his Stand, saw Crazy D and said "poo poo, that's a cool looking Stand..." and then just stole it's motif.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Aurain posted:

Heavy D is a secret DIO henchman.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Apparently viz are going balls deep with the JoJo license, since at the Free Comic Book Day event I went to today there was, in with the rest of the promo comics, a stack of single-issue Phantom Blood comics with a part of the Zeppeli vs. Dio fight in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If they were going balls-deep, they'd loving dub the anime.

What's the hold-up?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're dubbing it right now as we speak and will reveal it at AX

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

zeppeli v dio???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited to see avdol get voided next week at the end of the episode just to see the reactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

How much more of the darby fight is there? Does avdols death come up that quickly after?

• Locked thread