Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Point of order: at the Wall all titles, claims and lands are forsaken by the Night's Watch- why does Jon still refer to Janos Slynt as Lord Janos? He'd be Ser Janos, if he was ever even a knight, or just Janos, or Slynt. Unless he does it to mock him as the other watchmen do with 'Lord Snow' to mock Jon's high/low birth.

He was the head of House Slynt as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Have to say, I wasn't really on board with Jon before this episode. Sympathetic sure, but he's finally shaping up into a character you can barrack for. His execution scene was the best scene this season.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Screama posted:

Have to say, I wasn't really on board with Jon before this episode. Sympathetic sure, but he's finally shaping up into a character you can barrack for. His execution scene was the best scene this season.

I believe you'll find that Tommen banging Margaery was the best scene of the season (and series)

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I believe you'll find that Tommen banging Margaery was the best scene of the season (and series)

Sincerely,
Dean-Charles Chapman

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Prophaniti posted:

One thing that bugs me about Cersei in episode 3. On what grounds does she throw the high septon into a dungeon, I thought it was pretty legal, but frowned upon, to go to a westerosi brothel. Plus is she a selfnamed Hand of the King now? I dont really get what her official role or her motivation for behaving as she does. Doesn´t she realize she is risking alot trying to force her way into the established religion, instead of just leaning back and wait for her brother/lover to come back?
It's probably less about legality, and more about the high septon not having good enough friends to help him. Cersei throws him in a dungeon on the grounds that he can't get himself out.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

meatbag posted:

He was the head of House Slynt as well.

He had that responsibility removed off his shoulders.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AtraMorS posted:

It's probably less about legality, and more about the high septon not having good enough friends to help him. Cersei throws him in a dungeon on the grounds that he can't get himself out.
Pretty much sums up this show.

TEAH SYAG posted:

He had that responsibility removed off his shoulders.

Haha I'm pretty sure Meatbag was refreshing every few minutes waiting to see when somebody would reply that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I honestly hope to see Cersei ruined by her own schemes this season, and Mrs. Smirk win, I'm tired of the faux-cynical "no winners" shtick.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

steinrokkan posted:

I honestly hope to see Cersei ruined by her own schemes this season, and Mrs. Smirk win, I'm tired of the faux-cynical "no winners" shtick.

Yeah, the Tyrell ladies rule I'd love it Marge just continues to hand Cersei's rear end to her this season but knowing GOT she'll probably get eaten by Qyburn's friend in the sheet.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I just want a spinoff with the ghost of Tywin and Olenna Tyrell going around, solving mysteries and being way more clever than all the other fuckers around.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Arglebargle III posted:

Thread deader than Ned.

Just wait for May 10th, then everything will be business as usual.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

whatsabattle posted:

I just want a spinoff with the ghost of Tywin and Olenna Tyrell going around, solving mysteries and being way more clever than all the other fuckers around.

I didn't realize Olenna died on the way back to her home planet.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

popewiles posted:

I didn't realize Olenna died on the way back to her home planet.

What?

Oh, my post wasn't literal enough for TV IV. :(

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Prediction from a non-book reader:

no way Jon survives the season

Everything is going too smoothly right now

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Prophaniti posted:

One thing that bugs me about Cersei in episode 3. On what grounds does she throw the high septon into a dungeon, I thought it was pretty legal, but frowned upon, to go to a westerosi brothel. Plus is she a selfnamed Hand of the King now? I dont really get what her official role or her motivation for behaving as she does. Doesn´t she realize she is risking alot trying to force her way into the established religion, instead of just leaning back and wait for her brother/lover to come back?

I don't think Westeros really has a codified legal system. You go in jail if you piss off the wrong people.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd think it's similar to Tyrion jailing the Grand Maester in S2.

And yeah, Cersei is de facto Hand of the King. She will be unless Tommen tells her to get lost, but he won't.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I was under the assumption that Cersei would become nothing but another Lannister once Tommen and Marge got it on, but then I googled Dowager Queen. It seems like Margaery can overrule her on anything, so she'll have to work covertly. I'd be interested to see Cersei's power abuse result in a clash between Tommen and Margaery.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In think Queen Marge is better at the games than Cersei though. The main advantage for Cersei is ruthlessness and vindictiveness but she's far from clever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zwabu posted:

In think Queen Marge is better at the games than Cersei though. The main advantage for Cersei is ruthlessness and vindictiveness but she's far from clever.

If you consider the story Tywin told his BFF Arya in Harrenhall, then Margaery is basically in the same situation that Tywin was - her dad is well-liked and well-meaning but sadly a bit of a fool who people take advantage of, and as a result his kid is determined to make a success of the family no matter what the cost. Cersei wants to be a smart and savvy manipulator but she's been raised in a situation where she didn't really need to be because she basically always held a position of power, so she's never had to think her way around a problem beyond,"Don't let anybody catch me loving my brother or find out the kids aren't Robert's".

Margaery is what Cersei thinks she is/desperately wants to be.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 2, 2015

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Margery is what Cersei thinks she is/desperately wants to be.

Yeah. Cersei is a good hockey player, she's just bad compared to other professional hockey players.

She's meant to announce, but she won't admit it to herself.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Is there anywhere I could go to read why guest directors are such a commonly occurring thing in shows like this? I noticed e5 and 6 are directed by some guy who's never directed a GoT ep and directed one ep of Walking Dead. I mean I figure every episode probably has a fairly large crew and maybe the guest director was part of the crew for all the previous episodes but got a chance for the big chair these few but I really have no idea.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

WetSpink posted:

Is there anywhere I could go to read why guest directors are such a commonly occurring thing in shows like this?
I, uh, don't think there are many other shows like this, filming in several locales with such a cast.

Anyhow, they had to go of the 'not-rape' guy, Neil Marshall is for battles, Michelle McLaren (something something Wonder Woman). I think it may have to do with the locus of control - D&D want that to stay with them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Most television shows usually have a revolving set of directors, which is usually based on scheduling availability and trying to keep the cast and crew working for the shortest period of time to keep down expenses. Something like True Detective where every episode is directed by the same person is the aberration.

Here's a podcast interview that interviews Michelle McLaren and Alex Graves on directing the show: http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/the-business/directing-game-of-thrones-filmmaker-gifts-viewers

From what they talk about : so one of the directors will be in Belfast, while another is in Croatia, shooting different episodes. Then they might switch places to continue filming the other scenes for their individual episode. The rest of the cast and crew are just chilling in their locations, filming stuff from episode 2 one week, then episode 9 the next, etc.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 2, 2015

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

meristem posted:

I, uh, don't think there are many other shows like this, filming in several locales with such a cast.

Anyhow, they had to go of the 'not-rape' guy, Neil Marshall is for battles, Michelle McLaren (something something Wonder Woman). I think it may have to do with the locus of control - D&D want that to stay with them.

By shows like this I meant things that are pretty popular, should have clarified better. Seems like a gamble messing with the formula letting someone else take the reigns and with what I understand are pretty tight scheduling situations so it's not like you can reshoot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TV directors don't have the reins. The show-runners (head writers) have final say on everything and directors are supposed to conform to the overall style of the show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Duggler posted:

Prediction from a non-book reader:

no way Jon survives the season

Everything is going too smoothly right now

You don't have to spoil things that you think might happen, I'm pretty sure.

But although I agree things are going too smoothly for Jon, and will probably go to poo poo, I doubt he'll get killed off (yet, at least.) I don't see what point that would make to the viewer, since they've already done something like that several times...that is, building up a heroic character and then killing them off without ceremony.

Jon is getting a hero's edit, because he's done nothing of particular note in the larger plot, but we accept that he's an exceptionally good guy and are still spending a lot of time with him. I mean, just last season, we ended things with Melisandre staring him down across a fire to ominous Lord of Light music...he clearly has a significance that isn't being Lord Commander. Killing him off now might be "shocking" (not really, actually: everyone expects it at this point), but what's the point otherwise? Other than nihilism, and they've gone there a dozen times by now.

They could kill off Dany, too, but Jon and Dany's stories are the two least central to the main plot...and people expect both to converge on everything else eventually. Killing off either of them beforehand might "defy expectation," but at what point is that just a gimmick or bad storytelling?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My prediction is Jon dies this season as this season's mass event that crosses into mainstream news since it's been a while since they had one of those (like, wasn't CNN reporting on the red wedding) and then Melisandre brings him back next season as the BIG TWIST because why else would they show Beric coming back in Season 3 with Melisandre's spooky music playing when he has barely any effect on the story till date

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My prediction is Jon dies this season as this season's mass event that crosses into mainstream news since it's been a while since they had one of those (like, wasn't CNN reporting on the red wedding) and then Melisandre brings him back next season as the BIG TWIST because why else would they show Beric coming back in Season 3 with Melisandre's spooky music playing when he has barely any effect on the story till date
That's certainly one way to get out of the Night's Watch without breaking your oath.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oberyn getting his head crushed wasn't a sufficiently significant event? That wasn't episode 9, I guess...it seems they've been alternating "huge epic battle" and "wtf character death" every other season for the episode 9 big deal thing. So, I guess we're in store for another "wtf character death" this year.

Who's good for it? You might be right about Jon. I'm feeling pretty good about Cersei, actually, as well. Or, they'll throw everyone for a loop and it'll be the Boltons who get wrecked at a wedding this time.

My longer-game prediction is that Dany becomes evil, and as a condition of that corruption decides to kill Tyrion...but I feel like that may be a later season. Mostly, that'd be amazing because of how pissed and conflicted everyone would feel, but also I'm not sure what plot contributions are left for Tyrion at this point. All he can provide for Dany are cynical witticisms about the royal houses of Westeros, which she'll pigheadedly ignore.

Jorah offered her less pointed or clever versions of the same thing, and her rejection of his input has been portrayed as part of her general decline into blind totalitarian mania. She's an overzealous ruler who silences any dissenting voices; her empire is more and more a semi-religious dictatorship. There'd be a kind of poetry in Dany becoming every bit as mad as her father, despite the messianic implications of her rise to power.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Xealot posted:

Oberyn getting his head crushed wasn't a sufficiently significant event? That wasn't episode 9, I guess...it seems they've been alternating "huge epic battle" and "wtf character death" every other season for the episode 9 big deal thing. So, I guess we're in store for another "wtf character death" this year.

Who's good for it? You might be right about Jon. I'm feeling pretty good about Cersei, actually, as well. Or, they'll throw everyone for a loop and it'll be the Boltons who get wrecked at a wedding this time.

My longer-game prediction is that Dany becomes evil, and as a condition of that corruption decides to kill Tyrion...but I feel like that may be a later season. Mostly, that'd be amazing because of how pissed and conflicted everyone would feel, but also I'm not sure what plot contributions are left for Tyrion at this point. All he can provide for Dany are cynical witticisms about the royal houses of Westeros, which she'll pigheadedly ignore.

Jorah offered her less pointed or clever versions of the same thing, and her rejection of his input has been portrayed as part of her general decline into blind totalitarian mania. She's an overzealous ruler who silences any dissenting voices; her empire is more and more a semi-religious dictatorship. There'd be a kind of poetry in Dany becoming every bit as mad as her father, despite the messianic implications of her rise to power.

Oberyn had no effect on the story arc at all. His death didn't mean anything other than a big fakeout "OH you thought Tyrion was going to escape his death sentence with trial by combat again? HAHAHAHA NOPE his brother just lets him out of his cell." Yeah, maybe there will be some political implications if Dorne decides to end their support of the Lannisters, but so far Dorne has literally been some unseen realm nobody gives a poo poo about so it's premature to call it significant.

As for Dany, I disagree. I had just rewatched the previous seasons prior to this one starting and she had her mine changed repeatedly by her followers. If Tyrion can replace Jorah as her voice of wisdom and conscience, she has a chance to stay sane. On the other hand, if she goes nuts we'll get more scenes of Drogon wrecking poo poo...

Deuce fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Deuce posted:

Oberyn had no effect on the story arc at all. His death didn't mean anything
His death has lead directly to to Prince Doran's pressing conflict with the Sand Snakes, The Mountain twitching on some table in a lab somewhere under the Red Keep, Kevan abandoning Cersei, Tryion murdering Shae and Tywin, and Tyrion's and Varys' immediate need to flee Westeros, ostensibly putting them on a path to meeting Dany (and incidentally reintroducing Jorah to the plot), and has probably put Myrcella in danger now as well (see, "Let me send her back to Cersei one finger at a time).

I call that quite an effect on the story arc, and I'm sure there are consequences I have left out, but :shrug:.

E: I forgot Jamie and Bronn's excellent adventure, and the utter poisoning of Jamie's relationship with Cersei.
It's just baffling to me how people will just hand-wave stuff like this away.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 3, 2015

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dorne is still untouched by the war. They could shift the balance of power if they chose to get involved.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2015

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Dr. Faustus posted:

His death has lead directly to to Prince Doran's pressing conflict with the Sand Snakes, The Mountain twitching on some table in a lab somewhere under the Red Keep, Kevan abandoning Cersei, Tryion murdering Shae and Tywin, and Tyrion's and Varys' immediate need to flee Westeros, ostensibly putting them on a path to meeting Dany (and incidentally reintroducing Jorah to the plot), and has probably put Myrcella in danger now as well (see, "Let me send her back to Cersei one finger at a time).

I call that quite an effect on the story arc, and I'm sure there are consequences I have left out, but :shrug:.

E: I forgot Jamie and Bronn's excellent adventure, and the utter poisoning of Jamie's relationship with Cersei.
It's just baffling to me how people will just hand-wave stuff like this away.
The only thing that really hinges on Prince Oberyon death is the Zombie Mountain and Myrcella in Dorne.
Tyrion still absolutely could have gone on a murderous rampage and be steered toward Dany had there been a normal trial.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Yeah Dany is practically always soliciting advice from people and relying on her advisors. Part of her problem this season is she only has Westerosi Law Angel Selmy on her shoulder and no Worldly Pragmatic Devil Jorah on the other.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyway, has it been indicated how far Dany's power reaches? My impression is that she only ever controls one city, and whenever she moves on, her former dominion reverts to the old ways. Which sort of contributes to her image as a loving failure in the Game of Thrones(TM)(R)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The force projection of the armies seem to be whatever the story needs them to be. Dany does whatever she wants with basically a regiment of slave warriors/mercenaries... until she can't. (The Dothraki seem to have all faded away?) Also Stannis will probably do whatever he wants with his all-mercenary army, until he can't.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Most of the Dothraki hosed off after Drogo died (they wouldn't follow a woman), all she had left was a small handful of faithful followers.

They're still around I think, you see them in the odd shot (edit: at least I'm sure I have).

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 3, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah you see a couple Dothraki extras every once in a while.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
More worrisome than how far her military power effective reaches, consider her reputation in the region. Someone just looking at the bare facts of her journey over the last 4 years would see a woman that kills her brother, her husband(with blood magic no less), all of the 13 of Quarth, every slave master older than a child in Astapor, an untold number in the Yunkish slave uprising, and similar numbers in Meereen + the 163 crucified slave masters. With many of those victories being won in ways that easily read as deceptive and dishonorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Come on now she didn't kill her brother.

• Locked thread