Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yup, I totally cribbed the pyramidal top off of One Canada Square/3 WFC, the floorplan/facade is more of a 1000 de La Gauchetière adaptation though.

I really feel like the 32m x 32m (or 30x30 for standalone towers I guess) max size lots can provide for towers that are at least twice the height of the current level 6 high density ones. C:S growables max out at about 100 meters now, and another two or so levels can go a long way in providing more variety for the later game stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Been busy with work, but I finally got the map I made uploaded on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434939807&searchtext=three+sisters

It's still sort of a work in progress as this is the first map I've made so if any of you want to test it out I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess

Efexeye posted:

In other news, I still can't get tough city, in spite of turning off everything and dezoning all industrial/commercial/office at the same time. People just leave too fast; I can't keep crime over 40% for even a month, much less 2 years.

Don't dezone all industry. Unemployment should be around 35% for it to work best.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

That's the best way to handle it if you can't stand abandoned popups, but it can be a little interesting to ride the waves of retirees and young adult education. If you end up with abandonment it's generally ok to ignore: farms and lumber industry can soak up the abandonment to prevent land value issues for residential zones, and as long as you have industrial demand lots will be rebuilt without needing to bulldoze, albeit at a slower pace but that is often a good thing anyway.

Yeah, I don't actually flip out every time abandonment happens, especially when it's clearly a demographic thing. The unemployment stat is useful if you want to know when you've overshot the mark on building new C/I, though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to change the default color of your bus lines?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

Seconding this. Also are there any pubic transport mods that actually work properly?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

I use a mod that randomizes new line colors.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Friction posted:

Seconding this. Also are there any pubic transport mods that actually work properly?

You'll have to check the Nexus for those.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

After you've finished making the lines (or any time after you've completed one), click the public transportation bus in the menu on the left and then find the bus line on the map and click it. An information window should pop up and you can change the color by clicking on the color square in the info window.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

beerinator posted:

After you've finished making the lines (or any time after you've completed one), click the public transportation bus in the menu on the left and then find the bus line on the map and click it. An information window should pop up and you can change the color by clicking on the color square in the info window.

Right - I mean to set a color as default. Like if I want all of my busses to be a certain shade, is there any way I can make the default something other than that teal? I want to make them orange but there's no way to ensure they all come out to the exact same orange and :spergin:.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

Supraluminal posted:

I don't know why you got from his post that it's a one-time fix. Why would it be? You build more industry and commercial, you shift the ratio of workers to jobs. Obviously you need to continuously maintain the "imbalance" to keep all your jobs filled.

Sure, that was my inference, and I suppose it was wrong. He just made it sound like an easy fix, even though it's anything but easy to maintain that fix throughout the game.

Supraluminal posted:

I don't see it as an imbalance though, I see it as the RCI meter either being poorly calibrated/unresponsive or just not telling us quite what we think it does. Almost by definition, your population is in balance when there are enough workers to keep businesses from abandoning, at least as far as the game mechanics are concerned.

This works as long as you continue to have demand in all three areas. When the bars exist, no matter what their length, it tells you that newly-zoned stuff will get occupied, and you're free to ignore the relative lengths of the bars and zone by whatever rubric you want.

Anyway, my original point (poorly expressed) is that (a) nearly everybody runs into the problem of industry abandonment late-game; (b) the answer isn't just as simple as being patient and letting your Cims "settle" for low-education jobs; and (c) solving the problem requires constant attention and a conscious shift in strategy that makes the game less fun than it would be otherwise.

I want to be able to zone new high-density commercial blocks in my CBD without worrying about whether it will cause industry abandonment in a mining town halfway across the map. This is a problem only for resource-specific industry, since generic industry can be upgraded to Level 3, where a large proportion of the jobs are for highly-educated people. Hence the simplest solution I can think of would be to allow resource-specific industry to rise to Level 3 as well.

It would be nice if the RCI bars reflected reality, but I consider that a separate issue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The moving sun mod is really great.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=420230361&searchtext=

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 1, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone put any real time into that Traffic Manager mod and accomplished something awesome with it?

I tried using it over the past couple evenings and haven't yet found a situation that it could fix. Don't get me wrong it's super fun to sperg out over traffic lanes, but so far toggle traffic lights and rebuilding routes is a lot more effective at dealing with congestion.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

xzzy posted:

Anyone put any real time into that Traffic Manager mod and accomplished something awesome with it?

I tried using it over the past couple evenings and haven't yet found a situation that it could fix. Don't get me wrong it's super fun to sperg out over traffic lanes, but so far toggle traffic lights and rebuilding routes is a lot more effective at dealing with congestion.

I don't think the timed traffic lights really help much. I've only gotten good use out of the toggling and priority signs. I've had some success with changing turning lanes

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

savetheclocktower posted:

I want to be able to zone new high-density commercial blocks in my CBD without worrying about whether it will cause industry abandonment in a mining town halfway across the map. This is a problem only for resource-specific industry, since generic industry can be upgraded to Level 3, where a large proportion of the jobs are for highly-educated people. Hence the simplest solution I can think of would be to allow resource-specific industry to rise to Level 3 as well.

If depletable resources could last something reasonable like 20+ game years, I don't think you'd have the actual time to get them to level 3 before whatever they were extracting got depleted.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is going to be super useful for keeping track of how much real world time I've been spending in skylines! Thanks!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Hadlock posted:

This is going to be super useful for keeping track of how much real world time I've been spending in skylines!

The closest most gamers get to seeing the sun :rimshot:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I cannot for the life of me get upgrades to work. Sometimes offices will say "educate more citizens" while having 10 overeducated workers. Then they suddenly say "need more services" while the offices right next to them are already level 3 with the same service coverage, including being connected to the same bus line and having the same park in range.
What am I missing?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Bold Robot posted:

Right - I mean to set a color as default. Like if I want all of my busses to be a certain shade, is there any way I can make the default something other than that teal? I want to make them orange but there's no way to ensure they all come out to the exact same orange and :spergin:.

I have not the skill to do so, but I wonder if the color wheel window could be modded to be a RGB 3 number input window

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Can you make a city in this made up only of roundabouts and connections off those roundabouts?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GrossMurpel posted:

I cannot for the life of me get upgrades to work. Sometimes offices will say "educate more citizens" while having 10 overeducated workers. Then they suddenly say "need more services" while the offices right next to them are already level 3 with the same service coverage, including being connected to the same bus line and having the same park in range.
What am I missing?

From what I understand, services in this game range from 0-100%. Buildings require a certain threshold of service coverage to be met, so something like 10% coverage from a combination of fire, education and police can get residential up to level 2, but the threshold for level 3 will be like 15% combined coverage. What isn't conveyed clearly is that the green spread from a building like a police station isn't actually 100% coverage, you need something like three or four overlapping police stations. Tier 3 offices require the highest combined services coverage of any other building class in the game, which means that it's almost impossible to eyeball what services your building is lacking since they need overlaps for a number of services in order to upgrade. In all likelihood your unupgraded offices are out of range of a single service structure that is reaching the others around them.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I just had a city that cascaded from 40,000 people to 8,000 when everyone died of drinking poopwater. Oops.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

From what I understand, services in this game range from 0-100%. Buildings require a certain threshold of service coverage to be met, so something like 10% coverage from a combination of fire, education and police can get residential up to level 2, but the threshold for level 3 will be like 15% combined coverage. What isn't conveyed clearly is that the green spread from a building like a police station isn't actually 100% coverage, you need something like three or four overlapping police stations. Tier 3 offices require the highest combined services coverage of any other building class in the game, which means that it's almost impossible to eyeball what services your building is lacking since they need overlaps for a number of services in order to upgrade. In all likelihood your unupgraded offices are out of range of a single service structure that is reaching the others around them.

Holy poo poo, thanks! No one on Google knew this for some reason.

This is the same area after building a duplicate of every service at the left road there. Are the ranges really that short? Looks like I'll have to have each service every 5 blocks :negative:

E: Does building the big service buildings (police station etc.) help?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure if it's technically a service, but just building a new freeway-class onramp/offramp in the vicinity (not necessarily directly connected to the neighborhood) caused a bunch of my buildings to jump one or two levels. Access to freeway may be a missing ingredient to the secret sauce.

Try upgrading that T-intersection just above the stadium to 6 lane road and see what happens.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GrossMurpel posted:

Are the ranges really that short? Looks like I'll have to have each service every 5 blocks :negative:

Yes, you have to spread service buildings out throughout neighorhoods. This is especially obnoxious for education buildings as you wind up with thousands of unused slots for 100% coverage.

GrossMurpel posted:

They have larger radii and I think give larger bonuses.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This looks brilliant! Definitely going to give this one a go.

RPS added part II of their favorite Mods list, which includes a familiar-looking recycling center!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure if it's technically a service, but just building a new freeway-class onramp/offramp in the vicinity (not necessarily directly connected to the neighborhood) caused a bunch of my buildings to jump one or two levels. Access to freeway may be a missing ingredient to the secret sauce.

I'm going to guess that this was because you had service coverages available along that highway, and the offramp allowed them to bleed over into the neighborhood. Which I would take as a further indication that highway access there was a good idea!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That makes a lot of sense. If I have two neighborhoods on either side of the highway, putting a fire station on one side of the (residential) road or the other, can mean the difference between the other neighborhood getting fire coverage or not. An extra offramp can probably reduce time to site for a lot of services (i.e. you're maxing out your coverage area), even if it's not directly connected

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

I use the priority signs to great effect using this mod. Giving ramps/main roads priority and turning the other cross streets into yields is very good for making sure my main traffic routes keep moving. What we need is a mod that enables right turns on red lights. If there is one, I haven't found it yet.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

GrossMurpel posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks! No one on Google knew this for some reason.

This is the same area after building a duplicate of every service at the left road there. Are the ranges really that short? Looks like I'll have to have each service every 5 blocks :negative:

The problem here is that you are trying to get level 3 offices. Level 3 offices need a ridiculous level of services, as shown by your pic - you've got like every type of service there and it's only going a few blocks. It's incredibly difficult to get enough services to maintain level 3 offices without building one of the monuments that provides map-wide services. Personally I just don't sweat level 3 offices until the late game.

Then I build the Hadron Collider and watch everything level up like crazy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

xzzy posted:

I've tried a few things with the traffic light phasing for a couple of busy intersections and have had some success but it does take a bit of spergwork around the surrounding roads to make the best use of it.

One scheme I use has six phases on a crossroad with the 6 lanes, (based roughly on patterns on actual intersections around where I am) and I also change the lanes so one goes right, one goes straight ahead, and one goes left to make it work most effectively.

1. N-S with left green arrow, and E-W with right green arrow (try 5s)
2. N-S straight green only (try 10s)
3. E-W with left green arrow and N-S with right green arrow
4. E-W straight green.
5. green for pedestrians only. (6-8s)
6. and a brief pause where everything's red, because otherwise the peds will still be crossing the road and impeding turning traffic by the time you get back to Phase 1.

In some situations it's not ideal because of the ridiculous waiting times (I could probably try mixing up some of the combinations) but in theory it means every phase flows freely when they get their turn.

Like Xenoid said, I think you can get really good results elsewhere by using priority signals and using the lane tool to forbid left hand turns (or right hand turns in my case, because I always play in LHD, gently caress Napoleon.) - particularly when you've got 2 lane side streets crossing the wider roads. It's also good for making roundabouts actually behave like roundabouts are supposed to.

Xenoid posted:

I use the priority signs to great effect using this mod. Giving ramps/main roads priority and turning the other cross streets into yields is very good for making sure my main traffic routes keep moving. What we need is a mod that enables right turns on red lights. If there is one, I haven't found it yet.
As a kludge, you could just set the right arrow to be green all the time.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So I can no longer quit out of the game via the menu. If I click quit to desktop it just throws me back into the game. Anyone got any idea what causes this?

Also the traffic manager mod has disappeared from my screen :psyduck:

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

So I can no longer quit out of the game via the menu. If I click quit to desktop it just throws me back into the game. Anyone got any idea what causes this?

Also the traffic manager mod has disappeared from my screen :psyduck:

This is happening to me also (can't quit the game). Also, only half my mods seem to be working.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yes, you have to spread service buildings out throughout neighorhoods. This is especially obnoxious for education buildings as you wind up with thousands of unused slots for 100% coverage.

They have larger radii and I think give larger bonuses.

Doesn't increasing service budget also increase the range of service buildings?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Traffic problem! :eng99:

95k but my computer cannot handle much more I think

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Le0 posted:

Traffic problem! :eng99:

95k but my computer cannot handle much more I think

On the top image, you should split the exit/on ramp into two distinct onramps or SR's small highway. It allows the pathfinding to chart a no stop course, whereas the three way intersection causes them to slow down at the intersection.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Is there a way (either ingame or A Mod For That) to place a roundabout that's just the circle without the preattached access roads so I only have to bulldoze one city block instead of like four when I'm trying to redo an intersection as one?? I've tried manually making a circle of one-way roads but the access intersections for them when I hook up the incoming roads appear to be light-controlled which I'd prefer to avoid.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 2, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm really enjoying Hadlock's Algiers map, but the lack of any flow to the water means that I've got some stubborn shitwater zones collecting in some parts of my city. Other than building a bunch of water treatment plants and flushing it out with somewhat cleaner water over a period of years, is there anything I can do about this?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is there a way (either ingame or A Mod For That) to place a roundabout that's just the circle without the preattached access roads so I only have to bulldoze one city block instead of like four when I'm trying to redo an intersection as one?? I've tried manually making a circle of one-way roads but the access intersections for them when I hook up the incoming roads appear to be light-controlled which, of course, defeats the purpose.

There are lots of pre-made intersections on the Workshop, including various sizes and configurations of roundabout.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I've been away from this game for a while (after binging a lot since I bought it).

Any idea when/if the patch will hit? I want to get back into this again but might just wait for the patch if it's coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is there a way (either ingame or A Mod For That) to place a roundabout that's just the circle without the preattached access roads so I only have to bulldoze one city block instead of like four when I'm trying to redo an intersection as one?? I've tried manually making a circle of one-way roads but the access intersections for them when I hook up the incoming roads appear to be light-controlled which I'd prefer to avoid.

The presence/absence of lights is a function of which roads you use. The interactions are kind of complicated (here's a video guide), but the most important thing to know for building roundabouts is that two-lane one-way and highway roundabouts should never have lights. (I think ramps won't either.) For whatever reason, six-lane one-way appears to create lights, so don't use that.

Highway also has the benefit that cims will actually use multiple lanes because of their logic for staying out of highway exit lanes, so they tend to work well for heavy traffic as long as you allow enough space between intersections.

e: It's also not too hard to build perfect circles yourself. Use a road type that snaps to grid, like two-lane, and use the curved brush type. The game pops up ruler marks every 10 squares; just count an equal number up and over for each quarter-segment. You can then upgrade to highway if you want.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 2, 2015