Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Ed crowdsourcing ideas.

quote:

Transitioning (Afterbirth update #4)

the most common suggestion for after birth when we polled feedback about what people wanted to see more of was transformations.

for those unaware, there are currently 2 transformations in rebirth, Guppy and The Lord of the Flies. you become these forms by collecting 3+ of a specific item set.

when i had originally designed isaac i decided to do the guppy transformation because it seemed like something a skilled player could play towards if they tried… it was one of the games foundational archetypes you could push towards if you felt the odds were in your favor (aka finding a guppy item early on and pushing towards all cursed rooms/satan rooms and red chests).

i realized that people liked this aspect of the game, but couldnt really find as many situations that the player could have much control over so i didnt add but one more random transformation in rebirth (the duke of flies).

but.. now i that i see people like just chance combos ive decided to go nuts and add 8 new transformations in afterbirth that i think will both cause rage and joy in your endless item combo hunts.

the Mom transformation is the most (possibly only) obvious one, so ill spoil some of it here…. but thats all you get!

next week ill show you images or videos of crying naked child !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
8 new transformations? drat skippy, it's gonna be fun hunting all those down. Can't even begin to imagine what they're gonna be, aside from maybe Bob. Cricket? Tammy? Syringe transformation?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe picking up all of the Lost items sans Godhead gives you something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a spider transformation, Zodiac transformation

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe picking up all of the Lost items sans Godhead gives you something.

Put an achievement behind it. :unsmigghh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're good enough to have those items, that's not a huge deal. And, if you're not, you already don't care about achievements because you already know you can't get them all. Or you cheated for them.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I almost had a decent run with The Lost the other day (after many many.... many failed ones). I got the stop watch and brimstone and a bunch of other damage items, but I also must have picked up items that reduce your overall damage, because I still wasn't doing much damage to enemies. Sadly, the game did not throw any respawn items to me. So, I made it to the Womb II (first time with the Lost) and the It Lives fight, and died to its Brimstone attack which for some reason is not slowed down by the stop watch.
God drat that fucker who though that the Lost should block unlocking 100% of the game's items.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

AbstractNapper posted:

So, I made it to the Womb II (first time with the Lost) and the It Lives fight, and died to its Brimstone attack which for some reason is not slowed down by the stop watch.

To add insult to injury, if you have the stopwatch there's usually a bunch of other, slow-moving projectiles on the screen when the brimstone attack goes off. Trying to dodge those while moving quickly to avoid the brim is a bastard and a half. I once spent all extra lives given by Dead Cat on that rear end in a top hat because of that.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Anyone else think the Champion version of Gurdy is actually easier than the original?

It seems a bit weird that they didn't change that while they were fixing Monstro II's AI problem from flash Isaac.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

AbstractNapper posted:

I almost had a decent run with The Lost the other day (after many many.... many failed ones). I got the stop watch and brimstone and a bunch of other damage items, but I also must have picked up items that reduce your overall damage, because I still wasn't doing much damage to enemies. Sadly, the game did not throw any respawn items to me. So, I made it to the Womb II (first time with the Lost) and the It Lives fight, and died to its Brimstone attack which for some reason is not slowed down by the stop watch.
God drat that fucker who though that the Lost should block unlocking 100% of the game's items.

The Lost runs pretty much hinge on Dead Cat/Holy Mantle and lots of damage items. Stop Watch is a nice bonus, but, as you learned, it can make you complacent when the lasers come. I actually had a run where I beat ??? after failing the Boss Rush (didn't have enough damage by Mom; got hilarious damage by the time I made it to the Chest)

I don't think it's unreasonable to require 100% completion of a game to require that you complete it with 100% of its characters. Plus, hard mode is mostly meaningless to The Lost.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Codiekitty posted:

Anyone else think the Champion version of Gurdy is actually easier than the original?

It seems a bit weird that they didn't change that while they were fixing Monstro II's AI problem from flash Isaac.

The champion version of Carrion Queen is easier too

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The champion version of Carrion Queen is easier too

Yeah I think a few of the champions are a bit easier, especially if they make different/fewer mobs. But if we take issue with that, it'd be better to take issue with the wide disparity between bosses of the same tier

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Bobo the Red posted:

Yeah I think a few of the champions are a bit easier, especially if they make different/fewer mobs. But if we take issue with that, it'd be better to take issue with the wide disparity between bosses of the same tier

On that note, Mask of Infamy can eat a billion dicks. Had a great run going and was slightly too slow to get behind the mask so it took out like 10 hearts and killed me.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

LionYeti posted:

On that note, Mask of Infamy can eat a billion dicks. Had a great run going and was slightly too slow to get behind the mask so it took out like 10 hearts and killed me.

having low speed is so absolutely terrible that magdalene is considerably harder for me than eve is

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
So question for you folks. I've been playing the absolute poo poo out of this game since it was free for PS+ members on the PS4. I've put shameful amounts of hours days weeks into this game and I'm baffled at one thing. What in the hell does the loading screen after you pick your character have to do with the run it'self?

Example; One of the loading screen is covered in pills, and I've noticed (coincidence?) that I would get more pills on that run.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
coincidence

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Clears that up, thanks a lot!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to require 100% completion of a game to require that you complete it with 100% of its characters. Plus, hard mode is mostly meaningless to The Lost.

In theory it's not unreasonable. But The Lost is a secret unlockable character that is there only for the challenge of playing the whole game without taking damage (...) which is nearly impossible if you don't get some of the few special items (allowing you to respawn or get hit but endure it). And to make things worse only few of the game's items actually mean something for the Lost. And even worse, some enemy hitboxes are still ludicrous, some teleporting enemies can easily screw you up, exploding stuff seem to have weird range of effect, and there are rooms that you are pretty much guranteed to take at least one hit (occassionaly this is more likely because of the UI obscuring part of the screen).

The game being unfair, buggy or broken at some stuff,is a thing in general, but it only becomes a real pain when you add The Lost into the mix. Seriously, is there any fun in playing The Lost after unlocking the final items for the game, that it blocks?

Anyway, what I finally did was to keep restarting the Lost run until I got Holy Mantle in the first floor. I got some Guppy items too, and Nine Lives on the Womb (first respawn item for the run). This allowed me to beat The Chest with maybe one or two lives left. I guess that's how I'm beating the Lamb and the bosh rush then. Continuously restarting is a boring and stupid process but at least for my level of experience with the game, trying to stick with a random Lost runs will just result in tears and/or rage quiting.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a decent guide to using Cheat Engine? I just want to give myself certain upgrades and gently caress around. I have every achievement I can get without going mad so I want to expiriment.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a decent guide to using Cheat Engine? I just want to give myself certain upgrades and gently caress around. I have every achievement I can get without going mad so I want to expiriment.

Enter an item room, pick up the pedestal item, activate the pedestal script, choose the item you want, leave the room and come back for your item. After you pick it up, repeat the process again for more items.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

LionYeti posted:

You don't have to get behind the mask. you can shoot it in the side. hope this helps.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

R02D
HNXC
is one of the crazier seeds I've come across (Isaac, hard). Even if you don't reroll the treasure room just to the left of the start into Epic Fetus, you'll end up with scythes, 20/20, Pentagram, and Spirit of the Night by Necropolis 1 without ever taking a devil deal (Mom's Knife is in the first devil room too, if you want it). 2/3 of the way to Guppy so far too by rerolling in a curse room.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Managed to snag mom's knife, brimstone and spoon bender in a run. Died like an idiot to It Lives! because I was feeling sassy and forgot it always spawns with two laser eyes.

Oh well, I wasn't going to get anything from that victory, anyway.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you forgot the smug satisfaction

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Just got Undefined in a new save. Turns out you can get into the Chest with it via the I Am Error room before getting all the Polaroid pieces. So now I have the The End save file screen. It'll be interesting to see if the Polaroid got unlocked as a consequence, but I kind of doubt it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I always snobbed the pay-to-play item from the shop. Maybe it was because I didn't know it was doing damage that is twice the damage of your tears.

Welp, I just found it in the first cave's level and it got me though the boss rush with The Lost, almost "hands free". Eat that game.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Binding Of Isaac: Eternal (classic game hardmode update) went up today.

https://twitter.com/Gamesquidable/status/594553843934867456
On PC only for now, Mac in a week.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Either my game is bugged, or the D6 in Flash Isaac got nerfed. It has a chance to reroll an item into nothing. On the plus side, Isaac doesn't hold up an item for that long now.

EDIT: Yeah it's a nerf, and this update is garbage. The changed attack patterns were enough, but the enemies and bosses didn't need to be so ridiculously tanky. This is just tedious. Unless you get a damage up in the Basement/Cellar, the eternal enemies take a long time to kill.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 2, 2015

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It's Florian, his approach to game design is more HP and more bullshit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that sounds like the stupidest poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did the update add items and characters?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, the D6 is garbage now. The only time you should use it is if the item you want to reroll is a detriment or doesn't benefit you much at all. On the plus side, Angel Room items like Sacred Heart can be found in eternal challenge rooms now, so I guess that's something??

EDIT: Gurdy Jr. with a HOMING charge and regenerating health. On top of being tanky. Do not play this poo poo.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

that sounds like the stupidest poo poo

It is. Florian has no idea what game balance is. Ed isn't perfect, but he did a much better job at balancing than whatever this is supposed to be.

PostNouveau posted:

Did the update add items and characters?

No. It just tacks on a hard mode to WOTL. Other than the eternal enemies and some balance changes, nothing's new.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 2, 2015

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZR1gSvnOI0

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Wow I saw some things with the super hard enemies and it looked kind of cool but hearing that sounds pretty bad. The worst parts in Isaac for me is when I'm on a lower floor and have no damage and everything is taking forever. If you're going to add attack patterns or really hard enemies that's awesome. But piling on the HP is just tedious and makes me not want to ever play that.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So... on top of being a nearly unplayable, outdated buggy piece of garbage compared to Rebirth it's now also an unbalanced bullet hell with broken items?

Nice!

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Anyone else having trouble downloading this? I restarted Steam ... I'm probably being a derp.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Heh, I'm not gonna reinstall flash isaac to try this out.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Oh my God, did this game always run like complete poo poo? It's really jarring to play again. First game though, first chest victory with Cain. They did change the health bar so you can see up to like 50 hearts, which is nice. Basement 1 ipecac certainly helped.

Achievements are hosed apparently, the steam forums have a temporary fix. I'm pretty certain I got well over 7 hearts from eternal hearts, but I guess it doesn't count if you Guppy's Paw them away.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

AbstractNapper posted:

In theory it's not unreasonable. But The Lost is a secret unlockable character that is there only for the challenge of playing the whole game without taking damage (...) which is nearly impossible if you don't get some of the few special items (allowing you to respawn or get hit but endure it). And to make things worse only few of the game's items actually mean something for the Lost. And even worse, some enemy hitboxes are still ludicrous, some teleporting enemies can easily screw you up, exploding stuff seem to have weird range of effect, and there are rooms that you are pretty much guranteed to take at least one hit (occassionaly this is more likely because of the UI obscuring part of the screen).

The game being unfair, buggy or broken at some stuff,is a thing in general, but it only becomes a real pain when you add The Lost into the mix. Seriously, is there any fun in playing The Lost after unlocking the final items for the game, that it blocks?

Anyway, what I finally did was to keep restarting the Lost run until I got Holy Mantle in the first floor. I got some Guppy items too, and Nine Lives on the Womb (first respawn item for the run). This allowed me to beat The Chest with maybe one or two lives left. I guess that's how I'm beating the Lamb and the bosh rush then. Continuously restarting is a boring and stupid process but at least for my level of experience with the game, trying to stick with a random Lost runs will just result in tears and/or rage quiting.

Holy mantle won't help too much with Boss Rush and 9 lives won't help at all so I think resetting endlessly for them is kind of a massive unfun waste of time. What you really want is the stopwatch. I just finished it and my advice is stick with the run at least until the first devil room. (edit: Or magic fingers I guess, nice one)

I managed to FINALLY get it done with crickets head and stop watch on the first floor, Abbadon in the first devil room, a huge amount of tears ups and spoon bender from the boss rush items, so I could hang out behind rocks and nail guys like the bloat without putting myself in danger.

Godhead showed up in my very next run, but I had Epic Fetus so I couldn't really enjoy it :(

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yes, it's basically The Binding of Isaac: poo poo Edition. In fact, let me go over more of Florian's genius changes.

-Eternal Envy's chunks can fuse back together. On top of having too much HP.
-Eternal Monstro is faster, shoots more bullets, leaves creep, and splits into two Monstros when he gets down to half health. And those Monstros split into two more when you get those down to half health. On top of having too much HP.
-Eternal Pestilence fires several IPECAC shots in a row and leaves creep. And turns into an Eternal Headless Horseman when you get him down to half health. The Body acts like Pestilence, which means that it still fires several IPECAC shots in a row, and it can summon regular flies. The head is faster and leaves creep. On top of having too much HP.
-Eternal Hollow is impossible to take down if you fight it in a room layout that has a lot of rocks. On top of having too much HP.
-Damage up items are INCREDIBLY RARE. Remember how Polyphemus and Mutant Spider were so common in WOTL? Not anymore! So yeah, eternal enemies also take a long time to kill because you have no damage.
-The game chugs like crazy if there's too many bullets on the screen. Some of the eternal enemies spam bullets like crazy.

I was wrong about one thing. There is a new trinket. It's called the Game Squid and just has Isaac occasionally fire a tear that can slow down enemies.

Oh yeah, while he was showing off the new update on Youtube, he was told repeatedly that the enemies had too much HP and that they needed to be toned down. Apparently he didn't listen.

Mental Midget posted:

Anyone else having trouble downloading this? I restarted Steam ... I'm probably being a derp.

Verify the integrity of the game cache. That should fix it.