Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Great Rumbler posted:

Perhaps the salts are actually bath salts?

You could reduce a lot of drugs to a "salt" in the chemical sense. (Not NaCL)

The natural form of cocaine, for instance, is a salt. So is Methamphetamine.

The way he said "will make you see the world in other ways" makes me think it could be Bath Salts or Meth.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:17 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Zaphod42 posted:

The way he said "will make you see the world in other ways" makes me think it could be Bath Salts or Meth.

I'm going for it being table salt, but I'm sure he's wording it that way just to get people hopeful they're getting drugs. Win-win for him.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zaphod42 posted:

It's just him sniffing his own farts in regards to his bespoke salts.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
And now, I present these offerings for your pleasure:

A colouring book! Wowzers!

I don't actually know poo poo about art, so I'll just call it "abstract" and hope they buy it.

Wouldn't be a complete dump without at least one ill-conceived idea to dupe people out of money to make a game with

quote:

The Eighth Day is ultimately a story telling project which utilizes game platforms as a tool to create depth and immerse players into multiple fascinating and dangerous places in massively open world. In order to really get moving and speed up pre development progress, and make this dream a reality, I am raising funds to acquire and utilize current technology (PCs and equipment capable of rendering HQ graphics and physics) to dive into the creation of digital assets and begin to bring a great story to life to be experienced by avid gamers.
Translation: "Buzzword buzzword buzzword marketingspeak buzzword!"

And one for the road! :goku:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I do sort-of like the idea as an art installation: making a naturally impossible mix using technology. Like grafting agave plants to one another to get new fruits but more pretentious. It's just sad that even if he wasn't just grossly over-charging for regular salt from the super-market, it would still be just salt which is the same no matter where it comes from.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought it sounded like a foodie thing. Like the salt is going to have all these distinct characters and bodies from (allegedly) being assembled from locations all round the world. Even if he actually does what he says he's doing I bet it just tastes like salt

Yeah this is totally a thing. Go to any Target and you can buy a tiny jar of Pink Himalayan* Salt for $15, gourmet places have even more ridiculous specialty salts.

*Actually mined in Afghanistan.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a thing, but it's also a scam, there's no way to detect the taste of trace minerals in contrast to the overwhelming saltiness of NaCl. I know people say "If you can make money out of your fake idea, more power to you", but ultimately it's theft.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

This is pretty baffling. Who would want this?

Yeah, that's Triple A alright :laugh:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Made right before your eye

Singular eye

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Made right before your eye

Singular eye

Well he managed to put the other one out with his "Triple A" 3D art.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Another ridiculously ambitious game project with no hopes of ever achieving its ONE MILLION DOLLAR goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2009060720/history

As a bonus, the creator is currently having a meltdown on twitter.

Genetic Toaster has a new favorite as of 01:54 on May 2, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Genetic Toaster posted:

Another ridiculously ambitious game project with no hopes of ever achieving its ONE MILLION DOLLAR goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2009060720/history

He appears to be linking to his kickstarter once an hour.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Someone backed for $100, meaninglessly.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Genetic Toaster posted:

With that name I kind of hoped for a Rupert Murdoch simulator.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Genetic Toaster posted:

quote:

Honestly, I do not think one million dollars is enough to finish this game/simulation, it will probably take billions of dollars to build this massive idea. There are lots of people needed to bring this project to fruition. Hiring the right people to work will probably be the biggest obstacle to overcome. I have not been able to accomplish much by myself that is why I need help from kickstarter. I can code some of the mechanics, but there are already many games that have what I need and it would be awesome if we could work together. The difficult part is integrating them in a coherent way. That is why I am proposing a joint effort of everyone towards the same goal. This needs to be organized into a traditional game launch with the right publicity. That means advertising and marketing, which I do not have much experience with. I need help with the things that I haven't thought of and the areas that I lack aptitude. Filling in the holes so to speak. There is something missing from my concept that is vitally important to the success of this endeavor. I am hoping this kickstarter project will flush it out. I have trouble giving credit where credit is due

I have another project where I am currently trying to follow the flow and exchange of currency as a character known as the Doctor. This is the second to last part of the game/simulation.

:stare:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Yet another wearable electronic doodad... except for monitoring farts instead of hearts:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/963861855/keep-track-of-your-gases-with-ch4

It lets you input what you eat, and correlates that with how much you fart.

They appear to be on track to fail miserably. Apparently, they couldn't find that many people who are seriously self-conscious about their flatulence.

ODiN - World's first projection mouse

A laser projection trackpad which looks like the Decepticon insignia.

Kind of like those laser projection keyboards that have been around for several years now and never achieved meaningful popularity, most likely because they require a dimly lit room and can't track your fingers accurately enough for practical typing.

Cockmaster has a new favorite as of 02:53 on May 2, 2015

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Genetic Toaster posted:

Oh Christ

quote:

Vindow ‏@MyShowCases

@DvdKickstarter don't have 37 dollars that is why made a kickstarter. I don't even have my own bank account anymore. The one on file is moms

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Can we pre-mock a Kickstarter? Is that a thing?

Apparently it's real.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I need it so I can set it on fire.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenMetalSun posted:

Apparently it's real.
...Why is the username of the person who made the comment censored out

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

...Why is the username of the person who made the comment censored out

No good reason? I usually censor people's urls when I take screencaps of their tumblrs.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

GreenMetalSun posted:

Apparently it's real.

Hold me....

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

He's randomly linking his ks to gamedevs and asking for a price, it's pretty entertaining.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

He's randomly linking his ks to gamedevs and asking for a price, it's pretty entertaining.

Note that this should be enough to get his project cancelled under Kickstarter's community guidelines

quote:

Don’t spam.

This includes link-bombing, promoting a project where it shouldn’t be promoted, sending unsolicited @’s on Twitter, hyping third-party services, and using email lists from outside sources, to name a few. The comment and messaging systems on Kickstarter are here so people can communicate, ask questions, and cheer one another along — not for spam.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hahahahahahahaha kickstarter guidelines

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah this is totally a thing. Go to any Target and you can buy a tiny jar of Pink Himalayan* Salt for $15, gourmet places have even more ridiculous specialty salts.

*Actually mined in Afghanistan.

Not to suggest it isn't a scam, but the Himalayas are partially in Afghanistan.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's amazing. There are so many things to make fun of here, I don't know where to start.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Eagerly awaiting loss.jpg but with his kickstarter.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

At least he won't be able to lie about his funding amounts this time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

Not to suggest it isn't a scam, but the Himalayas are partially in Afghanistan.

They aren't, they end in Pakistan. Which also produces a lot of "Himalayan" salt, but nearly all of that is mined from several hundred miles away from the Himalayas themselves, on other mountain ranges.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The YouTube video at the end is hilarious. It's a crappy rambling phone video he did in his car where he admits that he's been meaning to make a proper video for awhile but is just too lazy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

The YouTube video at the end is hilarious. It's a crappy rambling phone video he did in his car where he admits that he's been meaning to make a proper video for awhile but is just too lazy

What's with dumbasses and filming themselves in their car to put online ? I used to assume it was some transparent cool guy set up but maybe they're too loving dumb to sit at a table for 1 min.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note that this should be enough to get his project cancelled under Kickstarter's community guidelines

Kickstarter guidelines only apply to projects that aren't going to make decent money for kickstarter itself. If it's going to bring them a decent chunk of cash the rules don't apply (see: that rich rear end in a top hat GURL POWER mom's "send my girl to programming camp" scam).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

They aren't, they end in Pakistan. Which also produces a lot of "Himalayan" salt, but nearly all of that is mined from several hundred miles away from the Himalayas themselves, on other mountain ranges.

Experts disagree.

quote:

The geographic qualifier 'Hindu Kush Himalayan' is not very precise. ICIMOD's target area includes the Karakorum, the Pamir, and other neighbouring ranges. The Hindu Kush Himalayan (HKH) region extends 3,500 km over all or part of eight countries from Afghanistan in the west to Myanmar in the east.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That site is very specific that they included more than just the Himalayas dude. I think you need to read better.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

then they should probably call it Hindu Kush salt.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's the K2 salt?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Genetic Toaster posted:

He's even appealing to the sharks on Shark Tank. Please, Shark Tank, have this man on your show.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kurtofan posted:

How's the K2 salt?

26% fatal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Genetic Toaster posted:

quote:

@MyShowCases: Trying to make #His_tory a world wide trending topic. Let's make it happen ok. Very Important that we do this.
I love when people do their own marketing :allears: