Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just finished the show, absolutely amazing.

Also I like the costume just fine. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only thing I like more than Daredevil's costume is the fact that he breaks the law and beats the poo poo out of people to accomplish his goals.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's like a weirdly better version of Ironside remake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Ugh such a good series marred by that ending.

I mean, if you're going to play up the devil business, they should've done a backlit silhouette to emphasize the horns or something

They did, though? :confused: Seriously, I think some of y'all convinced yourself this was the Wire or a docu-drama, and not a pulpy comic-book show with more shades of grey than usual.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Chances are they'll fix up the mask some by season 2 anyway, considering all the mixed feedback. The rest of the suit works fine. I think the only bad part of the suit is his face - it just doesn't fit with that mask. Maybe someone could wear that mask well, but not him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Pictured below: An intimidating figure

Serious question about the guy who designed it: Did he act completely balls out 'special' in any instance except when Daredevil fought him?

I mean he didn't seem like the brightest guy or anything but he seemed absolutely normal when he showed up before, then the second Daredevil shows up he's making stupid faces and acting like a 7 year old.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

Serious question about the guy who designed it: Did he act completely balls out 'special' in any instance except when Daredevil fought him?

I mean he didn't seem like the brightest guy or anything but he seemed absolutely normal when he showed up before, then the second Daredevil shows up he's making stupid faces and acting like a 7 year old.

Yeah, I was really unsure what they were going for. I kind of wonder if maybe the actor just wasn't very good at portraying it. But maybe he's supposed to have some really bizarre dissociative type disorder?

edit: I know nothing about that character except what was portrayed in the show. It was mentioned earlier that he's a character in the comics, so I assume there are real answers to these questions.

But maybe they just wanted an excuse for when people say the suit looks derpy :iamafag:

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 2, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's less retarded and more touched with a side of horrific rage issues. He's capable of almost functioning normally with therapy and medication, but boy howdy does he go freight train o'crazy when you set him off.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He seemed pretty retarded to me. Not just a dude who hulks out. He seems like Sloth from the Goonies or something. plus a weapons engineer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When Leland is getting fitted for his suit he says Melvin is "half an idiot".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Drifter posted:

He seemed pretty retarded to me. Not just a dude who hulks out. He seems like Sloth from the Goonies or something. plus a weapons engineer.

Comics him, comics him has a real job and can socially interact ok with other people when stable. When not stable....he can beat the living poo poo out of most non-super strong folks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drifter posted:

I just assumed he was an idiot savant armorer

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

I just assumed he was an idiot savant armorer

Yep, same.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Would've looked better without any eyes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The eyeholes are odd, and don't even make much sense.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Presenting himself as a blind superhero is a little compromising of his secret id.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Presenting himself as a blind superhero is a little compromising of his secret id.

Nobody would have ever realistically made that assumption were his eyeholes covered.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

The eyeholes are odd, and don't even make much sense.

Yeah, it makes the mast look really busy. I was like "what!? it would be so much cooler to not have eye cutouts!" but I assume it's a concession for the stunt men being able to see while in the costume.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Did Melvin know Matt was blind when he made his costume?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Phylodox posted:

Did Melvin know Matt was blind when he made his costume?

I don't think so, since he made a color scheme to distinguish the different areas with varying degrees of protection

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eh! Frank posted:

I don't think so, since he made a color scheme to distinguish the different areas with varying degrees of protection

I thought that was mostly "It turned black when fully treated" and he didn't have time to treat it all before Matt picked up the costume

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
If the suit didn't have eyes, how could Foggy don it in Season 4!?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

If the suit didn't have eyes, how could Foggy don it in Season 4!?

good point.

Maybe Matt will wear sunglasses over his costume? That'd be pretty boss...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Obviously Foggy would have to pretend to not be blind while not being able to see a thing. Hijinx ensue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When does Foggy get struck by gamma lightning in San Francisco bay and develop his fog powers?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I like at least that his costume is set up and established within the show, and is a part of its narrative arc. It explains WHY he needs a costume, and that's enough to satisfy me. It's not a bad take on the costume either, given that Daredevil has always looked rather silly.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I like at least that his costume is set up and established within the show, and is a part of its narrative arc. It explains WHY he needs a costume, and that's enough to satisfy me. It's not a bad take on the costume either, given that Daredevil has always looked rather silly.

Yeah, the skintight red leotard thing doesn't look good in real life. They had a pretty massive issue coming up with a costume for the 2003 movie, and it took up a lot of production time (the making-of goes into ridiculous detail about this). I can't really blame them for what they settled on.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I get why a helmet is a good idea for Matt but given his taste for acrobatics it seems like it would hinder things more than it helps. I kinda wish they'd have just gone with the same setup he had except red and made out of whatever magic material that guy used. The rest looks ok but god drat I just cannot stop looking at that helmet it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Azhais posted:

I thought that was mostly "It turned black when fully treated" and he didn't have time to treat it all before Matt picked up the costume

It's pretty clearly all set up where red is a weaker material because it's on joints and major flex points, and the more stiff black material is over important areas.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

This mirrors a lot of my roommate's running commentary on the show.

http://www.theawl.com/2015/05/an-episode-guide-for-netflix-presents-marvels-daredevil-of-hells-kitchen

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I finished it. I think he looked better in his original outfit. I hope he doesn't keep his current getup. I hope it evolves. This is a great show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dj_clawson posted:

Yeah, the skintight red leotard thing doesn't look good in real life. They had a pretty massive issue coming up with a costume for the 2003 movie, and it took up a lot of production time (the making-of goes into ridiculous detail about this). I can't really blame them for what they settled on.

I know they wanted to do the strong cloth thing, but I have to admit, I kind of wish they just said they developed ultralight regular armor and put him in what amounts to red kevlar with a red military-style helmet or something.

The reverse of what they wanted, the suit reveal is the show's low point, not it's high point. Not enough to make the show bad of course, but it seems like the single biggest complaint from everyone who watched the show. Of course, if that's the biggest complaint anyone can muster, it's a good show.

I just hope poor Daredevil doesn't end up like Frank Underwood as far as Netflix shows go, or he won't be competent enough to fight a small child by next season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know they wanted to do the strong cloth thing, but I have to admit, I kind of wish they just said they developed ultralight regular armor and put him in what amounts to red kevlar with a red military-style helmet or something.

The reverse of what they wanted, the suit reveal is the show's low point, not it's high point. Not enough to make the show bad of course, but it seems like the single biggest complaint from everyone who watched the show. Of course, if that's the biggest complaint anyone can muster, it's a good show.

I just hope poor Daredevil doesn't end up like Frank Underwood as far as Netflix shows go, or he won't be competent enough to fight a small child by next season.

For a suit that's basically "red body suit", The Flash's suit looks way better than Daredevil's. The whole face area of Daredevil's suit looks busy and like rear end. The Flash does not have this problem. How hard was it to look at successfully super-suits and see what worked and what didn't? Like 90% of super-suits have an open-bottom, covered top face design, and this is one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I don't mind the horn design, it's pretty subdued but gets the point across.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

For a suit that's basically "red body suit", The Flash's suit looks way better than Daredevil's. The whole face area of Daredevil's suit looks busy and like rear end. The Flash does not have this problem. How hard was it to look at successfully super-suits and see what worked and what didn't? Like 90% of super-suits have an open-bottom, covered top face design, and this is one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I don't mind the horn design, it's pretty subdued but gets the point across.

Maybe they'll be making a small point of his suit getting redesigned or something the next season. Not sure why, but maybe? Most likely not, but still.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's like they picked the worst size of eye holes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Everyone could just start carrying mace and he'd be down for the count.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dj_clawson posted:

Everyone could just start carrying mace and he'd be down for the count.

Let's hope nobody ever tosses a flashbang

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

"Welcome to Nelson & Murdock. I'd be happy to hear about your case. Please excuse the sound of my partner continuous screaming and vomiting in the corner."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Let's hope nobody ever tosses a flashbang

I'm pretty sure the Sound Force will protect him. Part of his training with Stick was probably to also not be hurt by very loud sounds. Otherwise people like Stick would be totally useless and Stick would know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I finally got around to watching it. A good show, I mostly enjoyed it. The best episode was the Foggy calls Matt on his poo poo episode. I hate it when shows take advantage of omniscient viewship to try to paint completely reasonable objections as "the character just didn't understand how pure (x) is" so it was nice that they used the flashbacks to emphasize that Matt was in fact a pretty big shithead.