Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Well the speed of the charges made me think they must have some slam dunk evidence. I hadn't considered that one of the officers may have cut a deal to testify.

I think that the prosecution mentioned having some evidence that wasn't publicly revealed, which means that they're holding onto it to make sure that nobody creates a cover for it or tries to otherwise gently caress with its introduction. I don't really see one of the officers cutting a deal, because I've never heard of this occurring and the very fact that the "sworn brotherhood" culture causes so much of the rampant power abuse in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's true though not a single youtube video, tweet, or tumblr was posted on Sep 11 2001. Makes you think.

Heh youtube 05, twitter 06, tumblr 07. You would need a time machine. But I'm sure you know that.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

SalTheBard posted:

Reading Marilyn Mosbys account of what happened to Freddie Gray made my stomach turn. If this turns out to be what happened (and all signs point to that being the case) I hope all of them get the maximum penalty.

e: nm

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 2, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

If the store video showed the van swerving violently and suddenly braking repeatedly with no other vehicles or any reason for it then that would more or less prove the "rough ride" scenario also. I hope we can see some of this video eventually.
She really emphasized that the driver had five opportunities to buckle his safety belt and never did. That seemed like a real focus of the "indifference" and if they can somehow prove they knew Gray was hurt mid ride maybe that heightens it?

PostNouveau posted:

Well the speed of the charges made me think they must have some slam dunk evidence. I hadn't considered that one of the officers may have cut a deal to testify.

Would be an interesting explanation why they said only five of the six were in custody. Is it possible the sixth could have cut a deal and given a little more latitude to set some affairs in order before turning himself in?

I mean, probably not but its fun to wonder.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 2, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FRINGE posted:

I disagree.

Using it against murderous cops, and all their assistants that cover up evidence so that they can continue their murders unhindered, is probably the only way the lovely law will be re-examined.

Usually the cops use it to charge other people with shootings when they "forced" the cop to kill someone they weren't aiming at. This is a good opportunity to wipe out an entire corrupt department and have the various villains complain that one of their favorite legal tools is suddenly "un-just".

Yeah. They need to start hammering these "well I didnt pull the trigger I just hid evidence" fuckers for various conspiracy charges, and Domestic Terrorism (tm).
Now I'm not some big city lawyer, but I think it would be best to also charge them with high treason against the constitution and unlawful surveillance, that way we can get the NSA disbanded too.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Sidenote: this is not regarding the Police, Criminal Justice, or the riots. But seeing how this seems to at times be a minority issues catch all and we don't have one I'm gonna cover it here.

They're doing a horrific film festival in my area supported by Walmart and Coca Cola supposedly with the goal of encouraging minority participation in media. It is singlehandedly one of the funniest, stupidest, and most obvious of smokescreens set up by the powers that be to ensure that that does not happen I have seen in my life. May the people involved be forever branded as race and gender traitors.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dead Reckoning posted:

Now I'm not some big city lawyer, but I think it would be best to also charge them with high treason against the constitution and unlawful surveillance, that way we can get the NSA disbanded too.
You cant even stop sucking criminal cop dick long enough to post coherently. I doubt you can parse this, but for everyone else:

quote:

Conspiracy has been defined in the United States as an agreement of two or more people to commit a crime, or to accomplish a legal end through illegal actions. ... Conspiracy law usually does not require proof of specific intent by the defendants to injure any specific person to establish an illegal agreement. Instead, usually the law requires only that the conspirators have agreed to engage in a certain illegal act. This is sometimes described as a "general intent" to violate the law.

... California criminal law is somewhat representative of other jurisdictions. A punishable conspiracy exists when at least two people form an agreement to commit a crime, and at least one of them does some act in furtherance to committing the crime. Each person is punishable in the same manner and to the same extent as is provided for the punishment of the crime itself.

quote:

The spoliation of evidence is the intentional, reckless, or negligent withholding, hiding, altering, or destroying of evidence relevant to a legal proceeding.

quote:

The crime of obstruction of justice, in United States jurisdictions, refers to the crime of obstructing the work of police, investigators, regulatory agencies, prosecutors, or other (usually government) officials. Common law jurisdictions other than the United States tend to use the wider offense of perverting the course of justice.

Every time it could be shown that the Blue Brotherhood banded together to enable one of their fellows to commit a murder, go free, and commit more crimes they could potentially be charged.

If the same interpretations of "terrorism" were applied to criminal gangs of cops as are applied to environmental activists, there would be a large number across the nation being charged with "terrorism".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

if they can somehow prove they knew Gray was hurt mid ride maybe that heightens it?

I think the medical examiner finding that has been reported, that Gray had a wound on his head that matched exactly a bolt inside the van, is central to this. A high energy car accident type blow to the head could easily have caused the cervical spine injury that killed him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So the bail has been set for the cops a short while ago.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Press-conference-by-States-Attorney-Regarding-Freddie-Gray-302151401.html

quote:

Bail for Caesar Goodson, Alicia White, William Porter and Brian Rice was set at $350,000 each. Edward Nero and Garrett Miller each have a bail of $250,000.

The bail for a rioter who broke a car window with a traffic cone, was $500,000.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121702/baltimore-rioter-gets-bail-above-freddie-grays-alleged-cop-murderer

quote:

An 18-year-old man who attacked a Balitmore police car with an orange traffic cone faces a higher bail than the cop who allegedly murdered Freddie Gray.
Allen Bullock, who rioted in Baltimore on Saturday over the death of 25-year-old Gray, turned himself into police on Thursday after his stepfather warned that the police would track him down and “beat him.” He is charged with eight misdemeanors and his bail was set at $500,000

loving lol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think that the prosecution mentioned having some evidence that wasn't publicly revealed, which means that they're holding onto it to make sure that nobody creates a cover for it or tries to otherwise gently caress with its introduction. I don't really see one of the officers cutting a deal, because I've never heard of this occurring and the very fact that the "sworn brotherhood" culture causes so much of the rampant power abuse in the first place.

The culture of silence is strong, but it doesn't ever have to stand up to murder charges like this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm sure their response is "we're already charging them with a crime, so why do people have to complain about every little other thing?"

Yeah, having two just things happen at once IS a pretty tall order, coming from the way things are now.

edit: what is bail even based on? The severity of the accused crime? The risk of running away? The finances of the suspect? The judge's whims at that time? For any of those things other than the last one, I'd think the police should have gotten higher.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 2, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm sure their response is "we're already charging them with a crime, so why do people have to complain about every little other thing?"

Yeah, having two just things happen at once IS a pretty tall order, coming from the way things are now.

edit: what is bail even based on? The severity of the accused crime? The risk of running away? The finances of the suspect? The judge's whims at that time? For any of those things other than the last one, I'd think the police should have gotten higher.

It's the judge's whims actually. Someone earlier in this thread (or another) posted an article talking about how the judge has been arbitrarily been doubling all of the bails.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The problem here is the bail in the other case, not the bail in the case of the officers. It does seem like a fair amount, considering there's no chance in hell they're running anywhere but protective custody with their faces plastered all over the news.

I looked for Mosby's account of what happened online, and the nyt has a good timeline: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/30/us/what-happened-freddie-gray-arrested-by-baltimore-police-department-map-timeline.html

quote:

Stop No. 4
Ms. Mosby said Officer Goodson was met here by Officers Nero, Miller and Porter. Sgt. Alicia White and Officers Porter and Goodson observed “Mr. Gray unresponsive on the floor,” Ms. Mosby said. Sergeant White spoke to the back of Mr. Gray’s head, and he did not respond. “Despite Mr. Gray’s seriously deteriorating medical condition, no medical assistance was rendered or summoned for Mr. Gray at that time by any officer,” Ms. Mosby said. The additional prisoner was loaded into the van on the opposite side. For the fifth time, according to Ms. Mosby, Officer Goodson failed to restrain Mr. Gray with a seatbelt.

Jesus Christ that whole thing. They checked on him a total of three loving times after throwing him into the back of the van shackled with no seatbelt. The second time he stated he couldn't breathe, the third time (when they picked up the second prisoner), he was unconscious/unresponsive on the floor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's the judge's whims actually. Someone earlier in this thread (or another) posted an article talking about how the judge has been arbitrarily been doubling all of the bails.
Hm...so given how that works, it's too much to ask for judge A to consider judge B's bail amounts before deciding theirs, including on closely related cases like this?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Every time it could be shown that the Blue Brotherhood banded together to enable one of their fellows to commit a murder, go free, and commit more crimes they could potentially be charged.

If the same interpretations of "terrorism" were applied to criminal gangs of cops as are applied to environmental activists, there would be a large number across the nation being charged with "terrorism".
OK, good luck with that. :shobon:

California Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 5150 posted:

(a) When a person, as a result of a mental health disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace officer, professional person in charge of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, designated members of a mobile crisis team, or professional person designated by the county may, upon probable cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody for a period of up to 72 hours for assessment, evaluation, and crisis intervention, or placement for evaluation and treatment in a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment and approved by the State Department of Health Care Services.

4 U.S. Code § 1 posted:

The flag of the United States shall be thirteen horizontal stripes, alternate red and white; and the union of the flag shall be forty-eight stars, white in a blue field.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Megan Kelly is currently interviewing an anonymous Baltimore officer giving the cops "side of the story." He/she is wearing a hood, is a dark silhouette, and had a Darth Vader voice. If Fox News was trying to make this seem insidious and evil to discredit it I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The "cops side" seems to be "eh, we always ignore people asking for help or saying they're hurt so no big deal" and "Freddie did it to himself." Eye opening.

"It's protocol to put on a seatbelt but sometimes the prisoner spits and makes things uncomfortable so we don't."

Literally, the defense is "my job is hard and inconvenient so some times I half rear end it." They're children.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2015

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you really just going to drop in and cherry pick the more absurd and hyperbolic posts rather than talk about the issue at all? I know you're better than that. But I suppose this is but a taste of 'look at what d&d is talking about charging cops with terrorism lol', you know the fun game where we take a few outlier posts and then use them to generalize each of the dozens of people posting?

Let's not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dead Reckoning posted:

What the gently caress does any of that have to do with the topic at hand? No, seriously. Explain yourself, or your argument will be ignored.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gray's spine was severed by the State Department of Health Care Services according to him, or something inane.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress does any of that have to do with the topic at hand? No, seriously. Explain yourself, or your argument will be ignored.

It just seems like trolling that's fallen to the next lower level of effort, just posting random crap to get people to go "whaaaa?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

is deep throat Kelly interview is kind of amazing. I should be outraged at how insidious and evil it is but I can't stop laughing at how absurd it is. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a Fox News intern under the hood.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Murderion posted:

I'm thinking back to the police officer's bill of rights that was posted a while back, and what strikes me is that it's a very good set of rules for dealing with disciplinary procedures against an employee. If I was, say, to be accused by a member of the public of insulting them, or accused of misusing office equipment, then it would be good to have a union official present for the disciplinary proceedings. I would also expect that my name not be revealed if I was cleared of wrongdoing.

Where this breaks down is where it goes beyond civil matters between an employee and employer, and into criminal matters. If I were accused of punching someone in the face or smashing up company property, while I would still expect to be treated the same in disciplinary proceedings within the company, I would not have that privilege with regards to a criminal investigation. While it would be good if my union could speak on my behalf or help me with legal matters, I wouldn't expect them to have any power over criminal justice system. There is a clear boundary, at least in theory, between civil matters a union is designed to help with, and criminal matters where its powers are limited.

The problem with prosecuting police, so far as I can make out, is that the employer who carries out disciplinary proceedings is also the body that determines whether a criminal act has occurred. The American police union, in many cases, is given the same degree of power in protecting its members from criminal prosecution as it is from internal disciplinary action.

Just want to quote this to say I really like this summation of the problems a lot of people have with the police and their unions specifically.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...so given how that works, it's too much to ask for judge A to consider judge B's bail amounts before deciding theirs, including on closely related cases like this?

Presumably, yes, but the issue is that the rioters' bail amounts should be lowered, not that the officers' bail should be raised.

STAC Goat posted:

Megan Kelly is currently interviewing an anonymous Baltimore officer giving the cops "side of the story." He/she is wearing a hood, is a dark silhouette, and had a Darth Vader voice. If Fox News was trying to make this seem insidious and evil to discredit it I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The "cops side" seems to be "eh, we always ignore people asking for help or saying they're hurt so no big deal" and "Freddie did it to himself." Eye opening.

"It's protocol to put on a seatbelt but sometimes the prisoner spits and makes things uncomfortable so we don't."

Literally, the defense is "my job is hard and inconvenient so some times I half rear end it." They're children.

The defense is that they should be held to lower standards of the law because ???

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Fringe is a crazy person who has the same understanding of the legal system as the average sovereign citizen, a group who also like huge walls of legal text, but don't believe in fringes.

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Are you really just going to drop in and cherry pick the more absurd and hyperbolic posts rather than talk about the issue at all? I know you're better than that. But I suppose this is but a taste of 'look at what d&d is talking about charging cops with terrorism lol', you know the fun game where we take a few outlier posts and then use them to generalize each of the dozens of people posting?

Let's not.
We need to pluck out these bad apples before they spoil the rest of the barrel.

Also:

evilweasel posted:

perhaps i wasn't clear before, everyone shut the gently caress up about what you think of the posting in this thread, the only thing worse than bad posting is bad posting about bad posts

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Murderion posted:

The defense is that they should be held to lower standards of the law because ???

Because they're heroes with good hearts and Freddie was a hysterical drug dealing snitch who totally broke his own neck.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Murderion posted:

Presumably, yes, but the issue is that the rioters' bail amounts should be lowered, not that the officers' bail should be raised.
That justice reform SHOULD be started with lower social classes who need it the most is a given, but I know it usually doesn't end up that way.

edit: similarly, in a perfect world that is very different than this one, we wouldn't be talking about punishing the poo poo out of the police, but rather less harshly punishing nonviolent minority offenders instead, since harsh punishment has a questionable effect on preventing crime in the first place.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 2, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Murderion posted:

Jesus Christ that whole thing. They checked on him a total of three loving times after throwing him into the back of the van shackled with no seatbelt. The second time he stated he couldn't breathe, the third time (when they picked up the second prisoner), he was unconscious/unresponsive on the floor.

Makes you wonder why they were even checking on him at all. Unless they were checking to see that he was injured enough.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It was great how early this afternoon Fox had a guest who was formerly in the Baltimore PD for an indeterminate amount of time and his best defense of the officers was a really solid case for Depraved Indifference Murder.

Officers get calloused and completely disregard the welfare of others :shobon:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

STAC Goat posted:

is deep throat Kelly interview is kind of amazing. I should be outraged at how insidious and evil it is but I can't stop laughing at how absurd it is. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a Fox News intern under the hood.

Her twitter tonight looks to be bits of that interview. I've seen people on my feed (Billmon and Weigel specifically) responding to her; rather amusing.
https://twitter.com/megynkelly

There's no way I'm wading into the greater conversation, though.

edit: also, on CNN at the moment, an actual reporter is challenging the cops on their "move along, citizen" bullshit, while Don Lemon sits in the studio and tells him to please not question authority. ("You were getting a little feisty there! It's not worth it!")

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 2, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Von Sloneker posted:

Her twitter tonight looks to be bits of that interview. I've seen people on my feed (Billmon and Weigel specifically) responding to her; rather amusing.
https://twitter.com/megynkelly

There's no way I'm wading into the greater conversation, though.

Wow, it's amazing how many outright falsehoods are in just the quotes in that feed.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cichlid the Loach posted:

My favorite one was from a report, I don't remember which incident it was, that said the suspect struggled or whatever, "at which point an officer-involved shooting occurred." Verbatim. drat these free-floating officer-involved shootings, spontaneously coalescing on top of these fine upstanding officers!

This was another good one:

quote:

According to officials, the officer was holding a flashlight in his right hand and a Glock 9-mm. in the other when he opened the door to the eighth-floor landing.

One bullet flew out and apparently ricocheted into the chest of Gurley, who was on the seventh-floor landing of the dark stairwell.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Elder Postsman posted:

This was another good one:
As an ESL teacher, I need to explain the reasons native speakers manipulate subjects and objects using passive constructions and such. I always mention things like this, and it's easy to just open up any news article about the police and see examples.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 2, 2015

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

In case anyone isn't watching, as I edited into my prev post, police are arresting the people who tried to have a post-curfew sit-in, and while doing so are shoving the media away.

I don't know of any streams to watch. It gets hectic then calms down, over and over.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Zeitgueist posted:

I know people are making fun of the union quotes, but unions are legally required to defend their members up to the point they are proven guilty, in the same way that lawyers are. You're not going to get the union condemning their own members if they're at all a functional union.

Maybe we need to rethink this union thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wow, it's amazing how many outright falsehoods are in just the quotes in that feed.

Hanitty has a second masked mystery man who claims that a) Freddie was making a drug sale and that's why he was arrested, b) Freddie tested positive for heroin, and c) his death probably came from swallowing the drugs.

So either Sean Hannity just broke wide open a massive conspiracy where the State Attorney lied and pressed false charges against these cops or Fox News has lost its goddamn mind.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/BaltimorePolice/status/594328026088906752

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don Lemon sucks. Cnn has a girl in tears saying a cop dragged her friend off "somewhere where the cameras won't see" and Lemon and his crew are all "I don't sympathize, there's a curfew so you're a criminal."

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

BREAD AS PILLOWS LOL

I hate Don Lemon. I'd say I expect him to end up at Fox but it appears most of CNN has turned into Fox.

I'm sitting here watching citizens explain civil disobedience to the media.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Hanitty has a second masked mystery man who claims that a) Freddie was making a drug sale and that's why he was arrested, b) Freddie tested positive for heroin, and c) his death probably came from swallowing the drugs.

So either Sean Hannity just broke wide open a massive conspiracy where the State Attorney lied and pressed false charges against these cops or Fox News has lost its goddamn mind.

It doesn't matter if it's true or even plausible. Fox just needs to get some other stories out there so people who are primed to believe all blacks are violent and cops can do no wrong can hear a few other narratives and let their prejudices take over from there.

... Like that guy earlier in this thread claiming Grey had a pre-broken spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

STAC Goat posted:

That's some wide-ranging conspiracy! They even got to the victims and kept them from mentioning the drug sale in their own report!

• Locked thread