Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Xander77 posted:

TVIV talking about Game of Thrones episode 3. Tyrion is a dwarf, Jorah is a guy who just kidnapped him to get back together with Dany.

Oh, that is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Killed By Death posted:

Is it this?
I know exactly what you mean, why have distinctions between planets and dwarf planets? Why not just refer to everything in space as either chunks of rock or globes of gas? In fact, why would we even distinguish between those? Why have distinctioa aaa aaaaa? Whaaaa aa aaaaaa aaaaa aaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think that might be it. My memory is apparently failing me. Thanks!

might be wrong posted:

e: on second thought I don't think this is the right one but it's funny anyway
That wasn't it, but it was worth reading. Thanks to you too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the worst stewie posted:

he looks like he's spent his whole life in an attic :(

the worst stewie posted:

and i don't mean one of those middle class efforts with all velux windows and ensuite bathrooms. i mean one like ours that you only ventured into once a year to get the christmas tree

Total Meatlove posted:

Get a real tree you lazy fucker

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
From the Kojima thread

Thingyman posted:

More like:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

At first I felt vaguely queasy, as my eyes moved over that accursed page. My breath caught in my throat, and my stomach churned. As I read on, I began to understand why no human tongue, no human throat had ever spoken this debased tongue. The obscene syllables could only have been created by the Finnish, that race of unclean, inbred subhumans, dwelling as they do beneath the ice and snow of a land forever lost to humankind.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Oh hey, NewsMonster! The subject of one of my other favorites:

Every time I read or think the word "kramering" I start laughing until there are tears in my eyes. Every time. There's something perfectly evocative about that post that gets right to my funny bone.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sweet Tea posted:

i've grown so tired of videos of cops murdering ppl that now i find myself criticizing the framing of shots and the clothing of people in the background.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Snapchat A Titty posted:

my nigga have u tried a box of choclates

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

LawfulWaffle posted:

Every time I read or think the word "kramering" I start laughing until there are tears in my eyes. Every time. There's something perfectly evocative about that post that gets right to my funny bone.

I agree. It paints such a perfect,hilarious picture

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Speaking of strange Nordic linguistics, does anybody have the post about counting in Danish?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dammerung posted:

Speaking of strange Nordic linguistics, does anybody have the post about counting in Danish?

Grandmother of Five posted:

On account of all the unfounded criticism of the Danish language and number system, I have decided to help any potential non-Scandinavians reading this thread who may be having trouble deciding on which of the Nordic languages they should chose to learn on account of being too lazy and stupid to learn all of them.

A guide to the Danish number system versus those other languages ~

NON-DANISH

'Ti' means ten and that is basically it. Twenty is two-ten, to-ti. Thirty is tree-ten, tre-ti, and so on and so forth all the way up to ninety. Pretty similar to the number system that you are already familiar with in your language of whores and merchants. A number system based on ten, really? Uh, we use our fingers to count with or whatever. Do you really want to let base biology dictate your number system? Whatever.

DANISH

An exciting, mysterious language and maybe slightly more convoluted so if you're a big babby watch out.

'Ti' still means ten. Stay calm. Twenty is 'tyve', but 'tyve' isn't always twenty, it can be ten, too. Thirty is 'tredieve', I shouldn't have to explain this. GOD! Anyway, that was the easy part.

Forty is fyrre, or more correct, fyrretyve. It sounds like 'four twenties', but it really means 'four tens'. An easy mistake to make if you should somehow be confused by the word 'tyve' now meaning 'ten' instead of 'twenty'. Idiot.

Fifty is halvtreds and sixty is treds. This may trip you up because 'halv' means 'half' and 'halfsixty' is not half as much as sixty. This is because halvtreds is short for haldtredsindstyvende. 'sind' is to multiply and 'tyvende' is a bunch of twenties. Remember how 'tyve' is twenty? Remember how 'tyve' is sometimes twenty? Well, it is now. Anyway, just forget about the number forty. Once you have forgotten about forty, then fifty, or 'halvtredsindstyvende', basically means 'three minus one half multiplied by twenty', and there you have it, fifty. Or as we call it in everyday Danish, halvtreds, halfsixty.

Sixty is 'treds' which is short for 'tredsindstyvende'. That means three times twenty. Uh, Danish is so hard. How do I multiply with twenty? Twenty is twice as much as ten and I only have ten fingers?? ~ A swede.

Next up is seventy which is 'halvfjerds', or as I am sure you have figured out, 'halvfjerdsindstyvende. If you're wondering how much a 'fjerds' is since 'halvfjerds' is apparently half a 'fjerds' then just stop. You're making things needlessly complicated. There is no such thing as 'fjerds' like there is a 'treds' to 'halvtreds' Don't just go making poo poo up. 'Halvfjerdsindstyvende' means 'four minus a half multiplied by twenty. Adds up to seventy, doesn't it? You're going to need 7 swedes to count this high.

Eighty is 'firs' or 'firsindstyvende, which means four times twenty. Remember forty? No? Well, good.

Ninenty is 'halvfems' for short and 'halvfemsindstyvende' all proper like. 'Halv' still means 'half' and 'fem' means five so we've got five minus a half, and you then multiply it by twenty because twenty is better than ten except when twenty is ten because of forty.

Easy.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Disco Infiva posted:

Part of Carina Nebula that looks like a goat with stubbly little legs.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

He's not wrong. To everyone else in Scandinavia, Finnish sounds mostly like a continuous profanity.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does anyone happen to have that quote from (I think) E/N that basically described the Ross and Rachel plot from Friends and ended with the lyrics of the theme song? If I'm not mistaken, the first letter of each paragraph spelled ROSS.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Collateral Damage posted:

He's not wrong. To everyone else in Scandinavia, Finnish sounds mostly like a continuous profanity.
Finland isn't even in Scandinavia.

e: To me, Finnish simply sound like someone speaking Swedish with entirely made up words.

A Buttery Pastry has a new favorite as of 15:15 on May 3, 2015

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GunChicka posted:

Professional video gamers get all the ladies.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, they get more of them if we're going by mass.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Discussion: Architectural failures (the building in question here is an American embassy).

Hedenius posted:

Still better then the one in Stockholm.

Segmentation Fox posted:

I'm sure if you spent enough time here you'd get to enjoy it; perhaps even defend it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Making me glad for our boring old cartons.

RandomFerret posted:

You joke, but that's not far off. That store is clearly meant to evoke the Ontario convenience store chain Mac's Milk, which was open 24 hours and did in fact offer milk in bags, cartons and reusable jugs.

Milk Bags

The bags, for the confused, are a plastic bag that holds 4 litres of milk, separated into smaller clear bags. No, not four 1-litre bags, silly, 3 1.3-litre bags. If you want 1 litre, go buy a carton or a jug. But you should know that we only keep those around for Americans coming up north to shop, just so we can post the security camera footage to yankeefails.ca, the most popular website in Canada. There's a video going viral right now of Americans trying to drive in August without snow tires, and it's a laugh riot. I'd post a link to it, but it would come up 404 for anybody outside the country. Don't try to use a proxy either, we're one step ahead of you. We are always one step ahead of you, as evidenced by our superior milk conveyance technology.

Once you have bought the bag and removed a smaller bag, you put it in a pitcher. No, you don't pour the milk into the pitcher, moron, you put the entire bag into a pitcher specially designed to keep 1.333 litre bags upright. Then you take a pair of scissors and snip the corner of the bag to make a pouring spout. Don't have one? Go buy one. You going to complain that you have to buy glasses to drink out of, too? What's next, buying car seat covers and then complaining that you can't use them without a car? You sicken me.

This system is obviously superior to any other milk pitcher used in the rest of the world. You want to be the one washing a pitcher every couple of days? Of course not. This way you get a pristine, untouched spout every 1.333333333 litres, and it's to your exact specifications. Do you want it so narrow that the milk shoots in an arc over your cereal bowl and across the table, or do you want it so wide that half the milk pours out at once, causing the bag to collapse and flop out of the pitcher and onto the floor, bursting and spilling the rest? The choice is yours, and the choice is those two.

No, there is no way to reseal the bag. gently caress you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're supposed to slice off both corners.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ITT-- Goons wonder why a movie studio would cast a 24 year-old as Harley Quinn and not an actress in their mid-30s:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If you're trying to figure out the tactical realism proper age for Harley Quinn just put your hand down your pants and run through numbers in your head fantasy until you reach peak turgidity.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

mind the walrus posted:

ITT-- Goons wonder why a movie studio would cast a 24 year-old as Harley Quinn and not an actress in their mid-30s:

Out of curiosity, what do you think ITT stands for?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Freudian slippers posted:

"In this/the thread", which in my previous post was referring to the thread my quote originated from.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Freudian slippers posted:

it was an unusual usage but it was pretty clear what he meant

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Thank you!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Janitor Prime posted:

baby is on the way :rock:

spankmeister posted:

:rip: ur social life

Cold on a Cob posted:

:rip: restful sleep

Cold on a Cob posted:

:rip: your hopes and dreams

Notorious QIG posted:

:rip: your financial security

Funhilde posted:

congratulations!

E: guess the mother

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 16:05 on May 4, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bhodi posted:

E: guess the mother

spankmeister, Cold on a Cob and Notorious QIG?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
How does that baby have 3 mommies? Is this what the republicans were warning us about?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
adopted by the something awful forums

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It takes a forum to raise a sperglord.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Disco Infiva posted:

spankmeister, Cold on a Cob and Notorious QIG?

I think funhilde is still in the euphoric "I'm not loving pregnant anymore and new baby is awesome!" phase

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Captain Jesus posted:

Pizza nazis are even more annoying than grammar nazis because unlike grammar, pizza has no rules.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

speaking of the holocaust, i sure hope this thread gets gassed soon

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TwoQuestions posted:

What exactly is the appeal of The Wire? I keep hearing about it, and every review I've seen presents it as a very well done documentary about Hell.

It looks to me like a much better done Neon Genesis Evangelion that's about Baltimore instead of Shinji.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoctorWhat, i believe you have confused the PYF quotes thread for the PHIZ scoff thread. It's okay, though, and I understand your confusion, since one is in a thread in a subforum where nobody cares about punctuation or your opinion, and the other is PHIZ.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

death .cab for qt posted:

DoctorWhat, i believe you have confused the PYF quotes thread for the PHIZ scoff thread. It's okay, though, and I understand your confusion, since one is in a thread in a subforum where nobody cares about punctuation or your opinion, and the other is PHIZ.

thanks mr skeltel

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tree Goat posted:

When used as an adjective, it's "anal-retentive." It's only "anal retentive" without the hyphen when used as a noun.
This is a perfect post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

• Locked thread