Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rabblemaster seemed good in Atarka red, your entire gameplan is to go wide and he helps you with that. I don't like it that much in the mono-red lists though, it gets blanked pretty easily while Goblin Heelcutter helps you get through what are otherwise really bad matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Xeom posted:

I recently started drafting in MTGO and I am really having a hard time winning. I won all but one of my new player drafts, but now I am sucking. I've done 4 drafts and only ever win 1 match.

I think most of the time I am building an acceptable deck, and today I built what I think was an absolutely amazing deck. Yet I still went 1-2. Mind you one of my games was close as hell; my opponent drew the two cards they needed to take the win from me. And on the my last match I drew nothing my first game, and then proceeded to mulligan down to 4 due to land screw(one landers).

It's hard to level up goons :'(. Besides doing more drafts and listening to LR(plus following other resources) is there anything else I can do to improve?

One thing I've heard (but have not done because my life is not entirely devoted to magic the gathering please forgive me) is good to do when you play online a lot is go through your replays and really scrutinize your decisions. Not just in terms of how the game played out (since that's results-oriented), but also what decision you should have made with the available information. It's probably a bit easier to learn from your mistakes from a more detached perspective you get when you aren't actually in the game. Sometimes you make correct decisions and lose, maybe because you just had a terrible draw, or your opponent had a really good draw, or whatever. And even when someone wins, it's rarely because they made 100% correct decisions and 0 mistakes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on MTG? I talked to a friend of mine who's a judge and he said to expect any given new set to last about a year to a year and a half, and they put out a new set every few months or so? So would one booster box every 3-4 months work for me? I am trying to gauge whether or not I should even really try to play this. I would like to get into a CCG but the only games played around here are Magic and My Little Pony and sometimes Pokemon.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So my friend wants to play Green White Devotion and I've been looking up some lists to see how to go about building it. However, it seems like a lot less people are playing it now that Dragons is out, is it because of its weakness to fliers? I figured the mix of Den Protector, Deathmist Raptor, and some other nice stuff would have given it a bump.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

signalnoise posted:

What's a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on MTG? I talked to a friend of mine who's a judge and he said to expect any given new set to last about a year to a year and a half, and they put out a new set every few months or so? So would one booster box every 3-4 months work for me? I am trying to gauge whether or not I should even really try to play this. I would like to get into a CCG but the only games played around here are Magic and My Little Pony and sometimes Pokemon.

That's a really complicated question actually and the answer depends a lot on what you want to be doing with the game. I mostly draft so that's $12-15 every week or so. Putting a deck together can be done cheaply. Putting a competitive deck together can be $300 to basically the sky's the limit depending on format. Play around for a bit before dumping a lot of money. Don't just buy boxes unless you plan to draft the contents with friends. Borrow decks from friends to see what style of deck you like. Good luck!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

signalnoise posted:

What's a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on MTG?

Just take up crack. It'll feel better, take up less time, and cost less.

How much you'll spend on Magic depends on how you'll play Magic. I know that's not helpful but there's a lot of ways to play the game. Buying one box won't get you anything close to the cards you need, either way.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Buying boxes is not a good way to build a collection. Find a deck you like and build it from singles. The exception is drafting. Draft a box every 3 months seems like a good time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Xeom posted:

I recently started drafting in MTGO and I am really having a hard time winning. I won all but one of my new player drafts, but now I am sucking. I've done 4 drafts and only ever win 1 match.

I think most of the time I am building an acceptable deck, and today I built what I think was an absolutely amazing deck. Yet I still went 1-2. Mind you one of my games was close as hell; my opponent drew the two cards they needed to take the win from me. And on the my last match I drew nothing my first game, and then proceeded to mulligan down to 4 due to land screw(one landers).

It's hard to level up goons :'(. Besides doing more drafts and listening to LR(plus following other resources) is there anything else I can do to improve?

Turn on the draft recording from MTGO options, then you can throw the draft cap to the limited thread for comments. At least some card evaluation or limited deckbuilding issues might get solved through that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

signalnoise posted:

This is what it looks like when you buy packs to try and build decks:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Buy boxes only if you are going to use them to draft, otherwise order singles. Cracking packs for what you want is for the desperate, the regressive, and the mad.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

signalnoise posted:

Well I can give you some advice.

Don't buy boxes.

My standard decks run about 300 bucks plus 100-150 every 3 months during rotation. My modern decks are about 1500 (GOYFS!!!) but it's because I play stupid expensive cards. My legacy decks are between 2800 (jund) to 6000 (doomsday) and im stupid to have all that stuff. My commander decks are expensive because I'm retarded and use stupid poo poo like gaea's cradle and wasteland in every deck that can use them. Because I'm stupid. I also have a commanders arsenal and most of the cards in it are dumb expensive now. WHY IS KAALIA 100 DOLLARS?!?!?

If you want to buy one deck and occasionally make changes Modern so for you.

If y want to play a constantly evolving game and just spend 150 every quarter standard is for you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

gently caress if I remember, that was like 8 years ago.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Noble Hierarch has been announced for Modern Masters 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went completely undefeated at FNM last night! :woop:

R1 was against some kind of Bant Dragons type thing. I don't really know what the plan was for that deck since he really only played lands and then eventually tapped out for Dragonlord Dromoka, who swiftly ate a downfall and then I swung in with a 13/13 Sidisi. Nighthowler is sick in this deck.

R2 was against Monoblue Devotion. He was running 4x Military Intelligence and swinging with ornithopters and gudul lurkers early to draw cards, but fortunately I had enough kill to both keep Thassa off being a creature and keep him off having two creatures to draw cards with after turn 2.

R3 was against White Weenie. Both games were pretty grindy because of Seeker of the Way on his end and Whip on mine, but once again Nighthowler was an absolute beast. Once I dropped a Doomwake Giant and wiped his board it was all but over and he scooped since I had ~20 damage to swing with every turn.

R4 was against Abzan Whip. We played out for the odd pack and he was prepared for more control matchups since that's what he was used to from the other nearby LGS, which doesn't do so well against t3 Sidisi, t4 Nighthowler swing for 9.

Got 4 packs, my most valuable crack was a Dragonlord Kolaghan. Oh well! Got more trade fodder, had fun, finished trading for BW warriors, met good people.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Serperoth posted:

Noble Hierarch has been announced for Modern Masters 2015

Good. gently caress the price on that thing.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
That card was obviously always going to be in MM2015, but I don't understand how "card art on a GP playmat" means "confirmed reprint."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Boco_T posted:

That card was obviously always going to be in MM2015, but I don't understand how "card art on a GP playmat" means "confirmed reprint."

http://gpcharlotte.starcitygames.com/

quote:

Of course, a Grand Prix wouldn’t be a Grand Prix without the chance to acquire some sweet swag, and at Grand Prix Charlotte, attendees will have a number of opportunities to get their hands on sleeves, deck boxes, collectable pins and playmats all featuring…

Well, our friends at WOTC won’t let me announce that until May 1st… so I’ll just say that it’s a fan-favorite returning in Modern Masters 2015, and leave it at that for now! ;)

Just hurried to get the post in, and that pic was the best 'source' I found at the moment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Good. gently caress the price on that thing.

Only if it's at Rare and not Mythic.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mr. Peepers posted:

Better yet, crack the packs, replace all the money rares with bulk rares, then sell them on eBay as a "repack". There are people who actually do this, I have to wonder if the buyers know what they are buying.

I bought one of these last weekend from an LGS while drunk. I didn't know what repacks were! I thought I could use them for beer drafts! "What a deal!" cried the promotional email and my brain.

I've been putting off the pickup all week but today I have to finally slink in and retrieve my box of truly worthless cardboard, hopefully when nobody else is in the store.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with these.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Been looking at some of the decks that are winning the dailies and I am noticing a few dragon decks with this sideboard.

4x Master of Waves
4x Omenspeaker

Anybody know what this matchup is for? Is it just for mono red?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Sickening posted:

Been looking at some of the decks that are winning the dailies and I am noticing a few dragon decks with this sideboard.

4x Master of Waves
4x Omenspeaker

Yes

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

4x Master of Waves
4x Omenspeaker

The latest Top Level Podcast has Michael Flores talking about his winning a PTQ with this deck. They talk about the Omenspeaker/Master a fair bit.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

4x Master of Waves
4x Omenspeaker

I had a mono-red player read my MoW very thoroughly, as he hadn't seen it before, and proceed to try and Stoke the Flames it :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Devor posted:

The latest Top Level Podcast has Michael Flores talking about his winning a PTQ with this deck. They talk about the Omenspeaker/Master a fair bit.

But then you have to listen to Mike Flores.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

But then you have to listen to Mike Flores.

Dude, now he has a deck to talk about that isn't 20 years old.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

He's got topics for at least the next decade.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Is this the right thread to discuss Cedric Phillips beating the poo poo out of an Esper Dragons deck at SCG Portland with Atarka Red? It just happened in a feature match and I am very happy about Esper Dragons losing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

morning wood posted:

Is this the right thread to discuss Cedric Phillips beating the poo poo out of an Esper Dragons deck at SCG Portland with Atarka Red? It just happened in a feature match and I am very happy about Esper Dragons losing.

Will have to check that out in the archives. I get so happy whenever Cedric decides to play an event. It's adorable.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Will have to check that out in the archives. I get so happy whenever Cedric decides to play an event. It's adorable.

https://www.mtgcoverage.com

You might not have to wait that long.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Serperoth posted:

https://www.mtgcoverage.com

You might not have to wait that long.

Yeah SCG actually allows unlimited access to its past broadcasts on its twitch channel and updates them every 30 minutes, so that's convenient. But I'm watching GP Toronto right now.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

qbert posted:

Yeah SCG actually allows unlimited access to its past broadcasts on its twitch channel and updates them every 30 minutes, so that's convenient. But I'm watching GP Toronto right now.

Is there an easy way to keep on upcoming events? I had no idea GP Toronto was going on right now until I read your post.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

morning wood posted:

Is there an easy way to keep on upcoming events? I had no idea GP Toronto was going on right now until I read your post.

There probably is, but all I do is set Twitch to send me an email notification whenever Magic's channel goes live, which is how I knew about it this morning.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

qbert posted:

Cedric's this VOD, if you wanted:

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/4611244

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

At what point do you call a judge on an opponent that you have to babysit with their pain lands? During a single game I had to remind someone on two different occasion that they took damage from their mana base.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I see the official stream is as reliable as ever.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

mcmagic posted:

Only if it's at Rare and not Mythic.
Someone make the :rodimus: smilie but replace the Transformer with an itty bitty Tarmogoyf and name it :goyf:, tia

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nelson vs Fabiano on the GP stream right now.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BW Warriors on camera versus esper dragons and it quickly took Game 1. :D

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Samael posted:

BW Warriors on camera versus esper dragons and it quickly took Game 1. :D

His opponent having to read his cards was a good sign that it was going to be a quick win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
So glad BW Warriors is a thing now. Blood-Chin Rager is the poo poo. Tears through midrange decks like tissue paper.

• Locked thread