Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Infamous: Second Son? I've played the previous games so I'm familiar with the gameplay, is there anything new I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RatHat posted:

Anything for Infamous: Second Son? I've played the previous games so I'm familiar with the gameplay, is there anything new I should know about?

I can't really think of anything, especially if you've played the previous games. Very intuitive and fun times.

I guess maybe look at the different powers before you pick if you're going to go good or evil; evil is easier to charge up using the laser to get headshots (footshots are harder for peaceful) while good is easier to charge up with good. You can totally do all the powers eventually though regardless of your alignment, there's plenty of research upgrade points to be had.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

paco650 posted:

You really should consider sticking with Paragon or Renegade answers so you don't end up short during some crucial crew vs. crew fight and have to explain yourself afterward like some kind of scorned dog.

This annoys me because I love playing as an arsehole who's a dick to everyone but I don't want to do the dumbass EVIL stuff which is going to leave me lacking in the points on both sides.
I mean the first renegade choice in the game is to shoot a mad guy in the back of the head

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Renegade Vangard FemShep is the best and funnist way to play, and it works out really well in ME3.

Sorry playing as (mostly) renegade infiltrator femshep.

Cheers for the help again guys....

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I'm sure it's been discussed already, but this thread is huge.

I'm 2 hours into Mass Effect. I know nothing about the game other than it's popular and was recommended to me. I'm totally fine to explore and discover it on my own, but I hear there's a lot of DLC that is drat near essential. So I figure it wouldn't hurt to know about DLC and any tips and tricks, what should I know?

Oh- I have the 360 trilogy edition if that makes any difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'm 2 hours into Mass Effect. I know nothing about the game other than it's popular and was recommended to me. I'm totally fine to explore and discover it on my own, but I hear there's a lot of DLC that is drat near essential. So I figure it wouldn't hurt to know about DLC and any tips and tricks, what should I know?

Honestly I'd say skip the DLC and play ME2 instead, once you get to that point. ME2 is better in every conceivable way over ME1 except maybe inventory fiddling, in that there is none. Which is itself a bit of an improvement even if they did go too far.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly I'd say skip the DLC and play ME2 instead, once you get to that point. ME2 is better in every conceivable way over ME1 except maybe inventory fiddling, in that there is none. Which is itself a bit of an improvement even if they did go too far.

The only decent DLC for ME1 is Bring Down the Sky, which is more notable for its reward than anything else about it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bring Down the Sky is a fun mission for ME1. You can safely avoid Pinnacle Station, since all it really adds is gamer score. For the other two games, the story-based DLC is, as you say, basically mandatory. At the very least, for 2, you should get Kasumi, Zaeed and Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival, which fills in the gap between ME2&3. For the third game, From Ashes and Leviathan are your must-haves, and a hell of a lot of people will tell you to get Citadel (and not to touch it til near the end of your playthrough). There's a ton of multiplayer DLC for 3, which you only need if you're planning on playing it (which you should, because it's great). It's up to you if you really want the weapon and armour packs - the weapons are balanced, so they're not too overpowered and offer some fun alternatives to your standard arsenal, but the armour sets offer flat bonuses, as opposed to the arguably better set-ups you can get by mixing and matching parts. And the alternate appearance packs are literally just different outfits for your crew with no bonuses.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

GhostBoy posted:

Mass Effect 2 is pretty well covered on the wiki, so check that out. As with all Bioware games, be sure to check in with your companions after each major mission to see what else they have to say. The hardest Paragon check is slightly less hard that the hardest Renegade check, but you pretty much still want to stick to one or the other. Overlord is a pretty neat mission in itself and there are two ME3 mission that references the events if you import a game where you completed it. I think it took me a few hours to get through it, which was good value for my money back then.

Strange question: Is there a way to get the DLC for the Mass Effect games on the cheap? I got the trilogy awhile back but it came without DLC and I haven't found an economic way to pick it up.

While I'm here... Any new/different advice for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth? I'm guessing the advice for the original will hold up, but I didn't know if there was anything new to worry about.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zaphod42 posted:

I would disagree and say that Mass Effect 1 is a legitimately fun game as long as you keep to the main quests. Also, I think it has the best citadel of all the games.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Haven't played enough of the first game to really say anything about it but Mass Effect 2 is fantastic. Except for Jacob (extremely dull) and Miranda (unlikeable). They suck. It's also annoying how the game kind of punishes you for choosing both paragon and renegade options. I'm normally a goody two shoes but the renegade interrupts are hilarious.

Don't do anything after Reaper IFF besides the recently recruited character's loyalty mission. Unless you wanna see Kelly get melted.

Remember to feed your fish.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

While I'm here... Any new/different advice for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth? I'm guessing the advice for the original will hold up, but I didn't know if there was anything new to worry about.
There's a couple things on the wiki, I think. Off the top of my head: Samson doesn't suck any more, Eve still does.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Strange question: Is there a way to get the DLC for the Mass Effect games on the cheap? I got the trilogy awhile back but it came without DLC and I haven't found an economic way to pick it up.

Mass Effect's DLC very rarely goes on sale. It has been on sale maybe twice since Mass Effect 3 was released. Don't wait for it if you want it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Draile posted:

Mass Effect's DLC very rarely goes on sale. It has been on sale maybe twice since Mass Effect 3 was released. Don't wait for it if you want it.

Go to Origin's Mexico store and pay there, it'll be like half the price.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The only decent DLC for ME1 is Bring Down the Sky, which is more notable for its reward than anything else about it.

I'd disagree if you're a completionist and/or going to go new game plus. Pinnacle Station is the only way to get the best equipment without endless reloading at shops.

The Iron Rose posted:

Go to Origin's Mexico store and pay there, it'll be like half the price.

both DLCs are free now on Origin

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpitztheGreat posted:

Keep talking to your party members while on the Normandy. Aside from general chit-chat you'll also eventually get personal missions from them. Above all, do Wrex's mission to recover his Family Armor.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Odd posted:

I'd disagree if you're a completionist and/or going to go new game plus. Pinnacle Station is the only way to get the best equipment without endless reloading at shops.

both DLCs are free now on Origin

I meant for the rest of the series. I woudln't bother with the dlc in me1 personally

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

Guns with laser sights are actively worse than non laser sighted gun because it replaced your default dot reticle with a useless similar dot that's now affected by recoil. So your reticle becomes a spastic dot that jumps all over the place and is hard to pick out. With the default reticle you always know where your point of aim is, laser actually requires you slack off shooting so that the gun settles.

This is something I wish I knew before a particularly difficult level. I picked up a laser sight SMG just to try it out, next door was a checkpoint that prevented me from backtracking, so I was stuck fighting with a poo poo weapon.
So, I was wary of them, turns out you can just turn off the laser sight. :v: Select on PS3. Definitely a good idea to turn it off though for this exact reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Iron Rose posted:

I meant for the rest of the series. I woudln't bother with the dlc in me1 personally

Bring Down the Sky's worth getting, especially as it's free. It adds a nice little extra moment to an event in ME3 too.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

There's a couple things on the wiki, I think. Off the top of my head: Samson doesn't suck any more, Eve still does.

You monster. Eve is actually really good once you're at the point that living with 1 red heart is ok, because it triggers WOB at a higher level than anyone else.
You want to get good enough that red hearts are more currency than health. unlike the first game, you can't have invisible health - it maxes out when it looks like it should - so give all your health away
Unless you're on the first floor the cathedral, or the chest, save the Joker card for a floor that you don't earn an angel/devil deal on. If the door doesn't appear after the boss (and you have at least 1 red or 4 other hearts), pop the card to get in.
Most of the runes are really good! don't be afraid to do the challenges - you don't unlock the character unlocks, but most of them unlock new options for consumables. I'd suggest waiting until you get to the third "phase" of the game (when you unlock the third tier end-boss) before starting, but some of them might be easier before hitting everything is terrible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There's a ton of multiplayer DLC for 3, which you only need if you're planning on playing it (which you should, because it's great).

It's worth noting that all of this DLC is free, so there's no reason at all not to get it unless you're running out of HD space and know that you never even want to try multiplayer.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anything for Ultima 8 Gold Edition?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

As in Pagan?
- You can grind stats, basically go hit something to gain strength (not sure if it has to be a monster or if you can just attack empty air), jump to gain dex
- basic keyboard controls (running, combat mode) are mandatory; forgot the exact keys but holy poo poo don't play this game mouse-only
- the keyring is one of the best items in the game, it's in one of the Tenebrae guardhouses IIRC
- grab Devon's bedroll at the beginning
- remember to activate the teleport pad, once you get the option to teleport around you'll probably want to return that way and not take the longer route
- like in U7, pixel hunting/moving random items is a good way to find secret/hidden items/keys/levers.
- inventory management is key, store different common types of items in separate sacks.
- I assume you have the manual with reagents/recipes for particular spells? (if not, download one) Print it out.
- remember your freedom of movement, sometimes you can get into a house through a roof/terrace when main doors are locked

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 29, 2015

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pierzak posted:

As in Pagan?
- You can grind stats, basically go hit something to gain strength (not sure if it has to be a monster or if you can just attack empty air), jump to gain dex
- basic keyboard controls (running, combat mode) are mandatory; forgot the exact keys but holy poo poo don't play this game mouse-only
- the keyring is one of the best items in the game, it's in one of the Tenebrae guardhouses IIRC
- grab Devon's bedroll at the beginning
- remember to activate the teleport pad, once you get the option to teleport around you'll probably want to return that way and not take the longer route
- like in U7, pixel hunting/moving random items is a good way to find secret/hidden items/keys/levers.
- inventory management is key, store different common types of items in separate sacks.
- I assume you have the manual with reagents/recipes for particular spells? (if not, download one) Print it out.

Much appreciated!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Also, remember your freedom of movement, sometimes you can get into a house through a roof/terrace when main doors are locked.

And you made me want to play this game again

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Any advice for Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate? What is this stuff about charm tables? I have the Wii U version, if that makes a difference.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any advice for Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate? What is this stuff about charm tables? I have the Wii U version, if that makes a difference.

the online's dead because MH4U's out unless you've got some friends who are still playing, so that's something.

basically there are these items you can get called charms that give extra skill points (more on those in a minute). there are i think 16 tables of random seeds to generate charms that you can get at chargen. these are supposed to be dynamic every time you log on, only because of a bug they're static and because of another bug some of the tables only get a few charms that they can gen and a few of those can't generate ancient rustshards, which upgrade into OK to decent weapons. the OP of the monhan 3 thread made it out like this was a huge deal, short version it's not until you get to insane endgame stuff and charm farming to fully min/max your final armor set. considering online's dead that is not an issue for a new player.

basic monhan stuff:

eat at the kitchen before every hunt once you unlock it and do canteen quests when you can to upgrade your kitchen

skills don't activate until you hit 10 points in a skill. some skills have additional thresholds past that that upgrade the skill. point is, if you get a charm that gives +4 attack, it doesn't do a drat thing until you get six more points

combat feels clunky for a while, stick with it. the clunkiness is a design choice, it's not because the combat's bad. they did that to make every button you hit a deliberate choice with potentially nasty consequences. if you play this expecting to go flipping around like devil may cry or bayonetta or something you're going to get murdered.

sns is a really bad starter weapon, until you get good at the game and figure out how to play it it does butt damage. gunning's also very tricky for new players because your armor's made out of wet tissue paper so you've got a lot less leeway to gently caress up. try out all the weapons until you find one you like (hammer is best)

e: other stuff, once you unlock a bunch of farm plots make sure you've always got someone making honey, honey is life

once you get to high rank you stop getting free stuff at the start of every hunt so get in the habit of bringing a set of items with you

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

At first the game is gonna be really really really hard. But don't get discouraged! Its not actually that hard, there's just a LOT of things you need to learn and until you do you'll be kinda making the game harder on yourself than it has to be.

I'd say read the hell out of the wiki, there's a lot to learn and its not going to all be intuitive.

Gather all the materials you come across whenever you're just kinda looking for a monster so that you don't ever have to go out and explicitly farm materials, because that's boring. Upgrade your in-village farm as much as you can and take advantage of it.

Look up all the various crafting recipes and make liberal use of them.

There are many equipments that you should ALWAYS bring with you when hunting. You should never leave town with less than 10x mega potions. Bring potions and honey to craft even more if you're having trouble killing bosses. Always bring whetstones and traps. Bring cool/hot drinks if you need them, antidotes, etc.

Try each of the weapon classes, they're each TOTALLY different. Find the one that makes sense to you. Each weapon has a gimmick to its fighting style and even if you like how a weapon looks, if you're not good at doing its gimmick then you're not doing optimal damage.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Sociopastry posted:

If the combat in this game is driving you crazy, go explore the wilderness east of Tenebrae until you find the ruined foundation of a dwelling. Walk around until the ground caves beneath you. If the result of that quest still is not enough, there are earth and air spells that will make you invincible.

You will need to explore very narrow and hard to find paths to progress in the catacombs and earth lair.

ONLY PLAY THE PATCHED GAME. Luckily I think the Gold Edition is pre patched. The patch fixes horrible jumping mechanics that will kill you a lot. Related, dark water kills you immediately and there is no Lord British to revive you; stay far away.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
How about Might and Magic X Legacy?

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Anything for Borderlands 2 or the presequel?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

How about Might and Magic X Legacy?

Have you played Xeen? If yes then you're good. If not you're going to be very confused. Read the OP of the games thread for party suggestions and stuff.

One of the first main bosses you fight is at the top of a tower. It kept one-shotting me until I realized it was pushing my party off the top of the tower, and that I needed to be moving around to prevent that.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

idiotmeat posted:

Borderlands 2 -- Try out all kinds of a gear until you get a feel for what does what. Eventually you will know what gear does just by looking at the manufacturer.

Character building is more restrictive than most games. You don't get a ton of skill points unless you are playing expansion/DLC content. You can get to the last level of one skill tree and to the middle of another. The final skills on a tree are big-time game changers so you probably will want one. Fortunately you can respec at any time for trivial cost so you aren't forced to stick to one tree until you have enough skill points to unlock that ultimate skill.

Basically every aspect of this game is numbers-driven, and if your numbers don't match up you are going to get killed. For this reason upgrade your gear constantly--every two levels or so. A really good, rare piece of gear (purple or orange) will get you an extra couple levels but unless you hit the jackpot on a well rolled item you are going to need to switch gear constantly. This will make you crazy if you are lucky enough to find a legendary because it will be useless very quickly unless you are already at max level.

Related, legendary gear drops are extremely rare. If you find two in a full playthrough you're lucky. Technically any legendary can drop from any enemy but in practice you are only going to see them by farming certain enemies (most uniques or bosses have an increased but still small chance to drop one specific legendary that is by far the most likely way for you to find that item) or by getting immensely lucky on a high-quality treasure chest. If you aren't max level don't sweat about not finding legendaries because they will become obsolete quickly enough. Also, lots of quests reward gear with powerful unique effects.

There are a couple spots you can farm for xp or gear by saving and reloading. Look for fast-travel stations or area transitions close to high-quality treasure chests or boss enemies. A couple early places are the end of the Bloodshot Ramparts and the End of the Line. Later on, if you enter Thousand Cuts from a certain direction, you can farm multiple chests and a high-xp enemy with ease.

Overall I think the game is pretty hard, especially solo. Certainly harder than I initially expected a jokey Diablo-with-guns to be. Your mileage may vary depending on your FPS skills and luck with gear. I would say the first playthrough is akin to Halo on hard and the second to Halo on legendary. You will have some frustrating moments, for sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

idiotmeat posted:

Its a fun game with lots to do but its also a boring game because the RPG mechanics are completely broken.

I advise you to hack the every loving poo poo out of the game with a reckless disregard for authority.

Download cheat engine and get the tables so that you can set up your own drop rates.

By default in Borderlands 2 the chance of getting a legendary gun is 1 in 20,000. TWENTY loving GODDAMNED THOUSAND. gently caress that noise.
I set my tables so that the chance of getting a legendary is like 1 in 50 and it actually feels rewarding to do quests and poo poo.

And never ever play on TVHM or any of the harder difficulties.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

idiotmeat posted:

Borderlands 2
- One thing Borderlands does is level scaling. If you're significant lower level than an enemy, you'll barely scratch them, and if significantly higher, you'll rip through them. BL2 isn't as dramatic about this as the first game, but if at some point you're having trouble, try doing some sidequests for a few levels.

- Tip Moxxi in the bar. After a while she'll cough up one of two purple SMGs, one fire and one corrosive. They're both very good guns. Note that they scale in level to where you are in the plot rather than your character, so if you've been doing sidequests instead of advancing the plot they'll be weaker. Try to get them right after major plot points, if you can. She can also give multiple copies, so it's not like you get one shot and you're done.

- Use the right gun for the job. Corrosive weapons are good against armor (yellow health bars), Fire weapons against health (red), and Shock against shields (blue). Of note is that while Fire and Corrosive suffer penalties against other enemy types, Shock always deals at least base damage and gets a hefty multiplier against shields. The bonuses and penalties increase on higher difficulties, making having the right damage type even more important.

- For DLC: If nothing else, get Assault on Dragon Keep and the two characters, Gaige (Mechromancer) and Krieg (Psycho). Scarlett was okay, Torgue is amazing :torgue: but has some annoying bits, Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt was pretty awful. Assault on Dragon Keep is fantastic and totally worth buying, and the two DLC characters have a ton of fun skills and builds.

- A note about DLC scaling: In some truly baffling decision making, in a first playthrough, the first two DLCs scale from level 15 to level 30, while the last two scale from 30 to 35. Basically, if you want to play them, you're usually better off doing so in True Vault Hunter Mode. You'll usually beat the game around 30ish, so you can go straight into Assault on Dragon Keep if you want, but if you do either of the first two DLCs in a first playthrough you just end up ridiculously overleveled.

- You may want to keep a rocket launcher in one slot just for Fight For Your Life situations.

- If you check out the BL2 thread, there's a Cheat Engine setup for tweaking droprates, along with some suggested values. I played the game legit, and it was fun, but the drops are ridiculously low for Legendary items and the like. If you want to play vanilla, more power to you, but if you get frustrated with the terrible gear, don't feel bad about using the tweaks.

- Play with friends if you can, it's a lot more fun in groups.

Zaphod42 posted:

And never ever play on TVHM or any of the harder difficulties.
Eh, TVHM (basically New Game+) was actually pretty fun for a while. UVHM (Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, basically NG++) can gently caress right off, though. Enemies get insane amounts of health and it just stops being fun.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Not to mention that in UVHM you go own in two or three shots and you have to slag enemies to do any damage. It was basically the reason I uninstalled the game, gently caress that poo poo.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

What should I know for Binary Domain?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Try to be careful firing because AI partners WILL occasionally run in front of you while you're shooting at an enemy and if they get hit they will trust you less even though you didn't shoot them on purpose.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

If you want the good ending where you get the highest trust for all your characters you'll need to look at a guide for the most efficient picks. The game has a few fake outs like chapter 2-5 where the characters you don't pick will become your party early into the level. Also most of the characters have a chance to max them up to the last level but Cain needs to be maxed relatively early or he just disappears forever. If you don't care then pick whoever you like (Big Bo!).

You get more money for destroying legs/arms but you get more trust when you kill multiple enemies quickly.

Don't waste money upgrading your teammates. I don't know why the game even gives you the option to upgrade someone else's reload time???

When you reach an underground rebel hideout talk to everyone before proceeding. A dude will sell you an item that boosts trust gains.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

owl_pellet posted:

Don't pick Cain or Faye when you get the opportunity to, you'll get stuck with them for a stretch midgame. Rachel and Charles have the lowest number of opportunities to join your squad, so take them when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sigh...

GTA V? Bought it on PC - I played a little bit through the story on the 360 but didn't get super far in.

What should I know/what're the best mods so far?