Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chris! posted:

Another new video of the moment the quake hits on Everest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32545637

They immediately begin running from the avalanche, but I can't understand why she continues filming - it seems to slow down her running? Maybe I'm wrong though.

haha

"oh my god!"
"oh my god!"
"oh my god!"
"what do we do?"
"what do we do?"
"what do we do?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

gggiiimmmppp posted:

haha

"oh my god!"
"oh my god!"
"oh my god!"
"what do we do?"
"what do we do?"
"what do we do?"

"Stay down!"

*gets up and starts running in thin mountain air*

Panic is quite a thing. A thing that can kill you.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Nice piece of fish posted:

They were running from the avalanche? It just seemed like general panicked running to me after having felt the earthquake. Also, again, that's not the avalanche. That's the snow drift from the avalanche. Getting hit by the actual mass of an avalanche does not look like that, and that flat surface they were standing on would have stopped the main mass of the avalanche anyway.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/101-videos/avalanches

Avalanches are scary as poo poo though.

Sure, that's true - but if I were there, and I saw that coming towards me, I'm pretty sure my mind wouldn't have time to rationalise beyond "AVALANCHE! RUN!"

And probably a few "what do we do? What do we do?"'s as well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

During the weeks of hanging around acclimatizing don't they have any lectures on how to deal with mountain safety? :stare: I'm sure there are avalanche best practices, just like there tips for the best way to deal with a bear encounter or your clothes being on fire, running around panicking is usually one of the worst things you can do in a dangerous situation. There aren't supposed to be avalanches at base camp, but that is a danger further along and it doesn't hurt to go over safety procedures early.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I know that a lot of people who climb everest are rich and thats why they can afford it, but how do most people who climb the other mountains fund their trips? I watched the summit and there were loads of teams who tried K2 at the same time and it made me wonder how it was all paid for, surely it wasn't all sponsored?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

For the professional mountaineer types on K2 and the like, it's typically a combination of sponsorships and the mountaineering guide companies they usually own/work for paying well enough that they can afford it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nagato posted:

I shat on this thread, but it has now been vindicated by the climbers themselves

http://news.yahoo.com/soul-searching-over-quake-ends-everest-climbing-season-105842241.html

Why were they holding crushed skulls.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Jose posted:

I know that a lot of people who climb everest are rich and thats why they can afford it, but how do most people who climb the other mountains fund their trips? I watched the summit and there were loads of teams who tried K2 at the same time and it made me wonder how it was all paid for, surely it wasn't all sponsored?

Most mountains aren't as expensive as Everest. And if you love mountaineering, even if it's just a hobby, that's what you save up for instead of expensive cars or holidays, even if it takes years.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Kurtofan posted:

Standard part of the tour for rich white men climbing in Nepal. As a rite of passage you're expected to kill a sherpa with your bare hands as a sacrifice to the mountain.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Kurtofan posted:

What, you think they can eat 'em whole?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chris! posted:

Most mountains aren't as expensive as Everest. And if you love mountaineering, even if it's just a hobby, that's what you save up for instead of expensive cars or holidays, even if it takes years.

I browsed around the International Mountain Guides site just for fun to get an idea of the :10bux:. Not including personal gear and flights, the expedition cost you're looking at is about..

$60,000 to climb Everest
$40,000 to climb Vinson Massif
$18,000 to climb Cho Oyu
$4,600 to climb Mount Elbrus
$4,200 to climb Mount Kilimanjaro (if you skip the safari, $5,700 for both)
$3,500 to climb the Matterhorn
$1,300 to climb Mount Rainier
$1,000 to climb Mount Whitney
$850 to climb Mount Baker

It gets pretty reasonable to climb not-Everest mountains, and totally doable for people who enjoy mountaineering as a hobby instead of having a singleminded burning desire to cross 'climbed the tallest mountain' off their bucket list.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I see a lot of expeditions attached to some kind of charity or something that the climbers aim to raise money or "awareness" for. Is there really enough interest in climbing Everest in the general public to actually raise money?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hailthefish posted:

I browsed around the International Mountain Guides site just for fun to get an idea of the :10bux:. Not including personal gear and flights, the expedition cost you're looking at is about..

It gets pretty reasonable to climb not-Everest mountains, and totally doable for people who enjoy mountaineering as a hobby instead of having a singleminded burning desire to cross 'climbed the tallest mountain' off their bucket list.

Is it just Everest in the Himalayas thats expensive or is K2 equally expensive to climb? The rest don't look anywhere near as bad as I was expecting

I'd recommend everyone drive up Pike's Peak if you're in Colorado. You can drive from Colorado Springs right onto the top of the mountain at 4000m+ although I can't recommend staying too long since you have to drive back down. I was only up there for about 5-10 minutes and was starting to get dizzy since there is no acclimatization

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Angela Christine posted:

During the weeks of hanging around acclimatizing don't they have any lectures on how to deal with mountain safety? :stare: I'm sure there are avalanche best practices, just like there tips for the best way to deal with a bear encounter or your clothes being on fire, running around panicking is usually one of the worst things you can do in a dangerous situation. There aren't supposed to be avalanches at base camp, but that is a danger further along and it doesn't hurt to go over safety procedures early.

The kind of skills that keep you alive in an avalanche when you're climbing are not going to help you at all on the flat ground at base camp. It's stuff like self-arrest and how to keep an air supply so you can unbury yourself and, most importantly, how to identify avalanche conditions before they happen because they're one of those things that will gently caress you mercilessly.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

It just seemed like general panicked running to me after having felt the earthquake.
So, they ran for no reason other than they're incredibly stupid?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

skander posted:

yeah they're really dumb and idiots. if i was there on a mountain when a huge earthquake hit i would be really calm and do everything perfect and exactly how i should because I'm not some Idiot Fucker

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

skander posted:

Of all the things that can go bad on everest you have to admit a giant loving earthquake would be stressful to say the least

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jose posted:

Is it just Everest in the Himalayas thats expensive or is K2 equally expensive to climb? The rest don't look anywhere near as bad as I was expecting

I'd recommend everyone drive up Pike's Peak if you're in Colorado. You can drive from Colorado Springs right onto the top of the mountain at 4000m+ although I can't recommend staying too long since you have to drive back down. I was only up there for about 5-10 minutes and was starting to get dizzy since there is no acclimatization

Cho Oyu is also in the Himalayas for an example from the list I gave, K2 is not in the Himalayas but it's also not a mountain that has commercial expeditions because it's a murderous bitch.

Lhotse is 22k, Ama Dablam is 11k, and the false-summit of Lobuche is like 5k.

The Himalayas are a price point above most of the other mountains (obviously Vinson Massif is also in the :homebrew: category because Antarctica), but it's mostly just Everest that's absolutely insane.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Stux posted:

yeah they're really dumb and idiots. if i was there on a mountain when a huge earthquake hit i would be really calm and do everything perfect and exactly how i should because I'm not some Idiot Fucker

Maybe they read one of your posts and naturally fled in terror?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

hailthefish posted:

In related news, Dani Arnold climbed Matterhorn ten minutes faster than Ueli Steck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA7HHvAjHOI

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

hailthefish posted:

gently caress that you can pay $15 for the permit and walk up the trail yourself without paying some rear end in a top hat to carry your gear. Goddamn what a waste of money it'd be to pay $1000 for Whitney

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nagato posted:

I shat on this thread, but it has now been vindicated by the climbers themselves

http://news.yahoo.com/soul-searching-over-quake-ends-everest-climbing-season-105842241.html
It's got to be super embarrassing when a Texas realtor is more compassionate than you are.

Kurtofan posted:

Retrieval and triage of the injured following the avalanche I suspect.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I have to admit, I find the summit videos fascinating. Especially when they are not filled with Coldplay music.

The two main ways to Everest's summit (Tibet, via the three steps and Greenboots cave; Mallory and Irvine's attempt. And from Nepal on Hillary and Norgay's path) meet up at the top, but what does that look like? I always pictured a walk up to a cliff, but it's more like an up and over to another route - with a cliff to the side.

Best one I can find that shows both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msjanh7VAVY

Bonus points for the guy saying "Tenth Brit to summit from both sides."

And then there's this one from the summit of Makalu, which gives me vertigo each time I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znPwobL-uKE

Cho Oyu's top is like the size of a football pitch, Everest's like a large dinning table, K2's like a tennis court, but Makalu's is a pyramid that dares you not to die trying to stand on it.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 2, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

hailthefish posted:

$60,000 to climb Everest
$40,000 to climb Vinson Massif
$18,000 to climb Cho Oyu
$4,600 to climb Mount Elbrus
$4,200 to climb Mount Kilimanjaro (if you skip the safari, $5,700 for both)
$1,300 to climb Mount Rainier
$850 to climb Mount Baker

Vinson Massif isnt even close to 8000, why is it so expensive?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Vinson Massif isnt even close to 8000, why is it so expensive?
I assume it has to be because it's a bit out of the way.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Default Settings posted:

I assume it has to be because it's a bit out of the way.

How so?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Well it's in Antarctica, for starters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

You can also take a train up, which is what I did. Had to leave though due to my eternal internal enemy, acclimatization. Seriously, I used to go on all sorts of trips out west when I was younger and I'd always have pounding headaches due to elevation changes.

As to Everest being special, the government of Nepal, which almost all 8000ers are at least partially in, charges a very high fee to climb any mountain over 8000m, additionally the extra height means more time sitting around acclimatizing. Those two factors are why the 8000ers all cost a lot more than similarly challenging, but smaller, mountains.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yah but if you get on a boat and go to antartica whos gunna stop you?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

That's the cost to have someone drag you up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pingu

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jose posted:

pfft drive, im gonna walk up that fucker this summer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Control Volume posted:

Pike's Peak is one of the most famous rally courses.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Pike's Peak is one of the most famous rally courses.

if all goes well im going to walk up barr trail on hill climb day, hopefully they havent massively locked down the top of the mountain

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Probably no one. Those are the costs of that expedition service. Note that they charge $1000 for Mt. Whitney (which is an hour's drive from Los Angeles), but the only hard cost is the $15 forestry service permit. The rest of the money is for their guide/support/supply services.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 2, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Control Volume posted:

if I'd had more time I probably would have walked up it. The US has loads of places I'd love to hike but its pretty hard when you're from the UK

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How far would the average goon make it on an Everest expedition before they died?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How far would the average goon make it on an Everest expedition before they died?

making the wiki

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

GBS/YLLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Jose posted:

Used to play volleyball up there many years ago. Got the worst sunburn of my life thanks to Pike's Peak. That lack of oxygen for your lungs also means lack of protection from the sun's death rays. That was a hard lesson and to this day I don't mess around when the sun is concerned. Guessing at pro altitudes like Everest it's basically like microwaving exposed skin.

• Locked thread