Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utvolsbaby
May 19, 2004
Go Big Orange

Arishtat posted:

The problem is that a lot of players go through it to get to the T-54 which they want because it's a Really Good Tank and they don't take time to play it properly. The T-44 is very good at getting around the map, has good camouflage and view range and is a decent medium range sniper. It is NOT good at getting into head-on confrontations with heavy tanks at pretty much any range nor is it good at slugging it out with other tanks. The armor just isn't there and there are plenty of ways to take critical damage in it.

The stock gun is bad, the D-10T which you can now only get from the IS (a heavy tank) is better and the LB-1 is quite good except for a lack of penetration which becomes painfully apparent when fighting same-tier heavies and pretty much any higher tier tank (which happens a lot on the U.S. servers because the player population is small and likes to play Tier X tanks).

As someone else said it's kind of sluggish with the stock engine and tracks which makes flanking more painful. Once you get the tracks and the second engine it's decent and the third (optional) engine gives it excellent acceleration and reduces speed bleed while turning. It doesn't add anything to the top speed though.

The progression is either tracks -> turret -> D-10T gun -> 1st engine -> LB-1 gun -> T-54 (and 2nd engine if you plan to keep playing it) OR throw a suspension upgrade on it and get the turret/gun first and then go back for the tracks and engine. I recommend the latter route because even with straight APCR the D5T-85BM just doesn't have the penetration or punch to cut it in a tier eight vehicle.

I've owned one continuously since back in Beta and it's a solid performer and one of my favorite tanks, but it requires a degree of finesse that many people don't have or care to learn.

Thanks for posting this. I'm on the fence about getting a T-44 and this summed it up nicely. In other news, has McGavin updated his full modpack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

utvolsbaby posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'm on the fence about getting a T-44 and this summed it up nicely. In other news, has McGavin updated his full modpack?

No. The version I posted is almost perfect except for the autoloader ammo bug and lack of session stats. I'll probably update it later this weekend if J1mb0 and Locastan update their poo poo.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

There's a month long mission where if you get 500 kills you get a free Tog. That's a bit over 16 kills a day. Will any goons go for it?
You have to be in a platoon for the kills to count.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

utvolsbaby posted:

The T-44 is a really good tank. I don't understand why people don't like it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

Speaking of which, is the 13-57 any good at all? I do like rapid fire BAPBABAP guns...

It's really fun but don't expect to carry. It's all about making GBS threads out 700-800 dmg at an unsuspecting target and then diving back to cover before doing it again 15 seconds later.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Bit of an odd question, but is there a general rule on how long it takes for a new premium tank to appear on the in-game shop for gold? I am planning to buy the T-54 Prototype, but it occurs to me that for the same money I could grab the 13 57 and combine that with gold I already have, and the gold from this month-long mission, and then buy the Prototype for gold. If it's going to appear on the in-game shop within a reasonable period, and assuming a price equivalent to other tier VIII premiums.

Nothing about the T-54 prot makes me go, "I want that."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like the classic Soviet medium line, and I figure that if I enjoy the 34-85M I will probably enjoy that because to my inexperienced eye it seems to be the same sort of trade off.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The T-54 proto isn't that bad. If you get into a tier 8 match with it it is pretty solid. Tier 10 though : /

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BadLlama posted:

The T-54 proto isn't that bad. If you get into a tier 8 match with it it is pretty solid. Tier 10 though : /

Without shooting APCR that tank is going to hurt in even T9 matches. It definitely does not seem to have the mobility to flank nor does it appear to have good gun handling , but I may be wrong.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Magres posted:

Wait people seriously pay that much money for Types?

Holy poo poo how do I cash out

Well I'm sure retards do pay out the rear end for Types, but I was making fun of him because that's Metro. (Seriously, I don't even care about the whole Metro/Type 59 thing but even I have to jump on the bandwagon.)

For further example:

Agrajag posted:

Nothing about the T-54 prot makes me go, "I want that."

Just imagine it as an inferior Russian copy of the Type 59! ;)

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Bit of an odd question, but is there a general rule on how long it takes for a new premium tank to appear on the in-game shop for gold? I am planning to buy the T-54 Prototype, but it occurs to me that for the same money I could grab the 13 57 and combine that with gold I already have, and the gold from this month-long mission, and then buy the Prototype for gold. If it's going to appear on the in-game shop within a reasonable period, and assuming a price equivalent to other tier VIII premiums.

Get the 13 57 now while it's still available, the get the T-54P later. The latter WILL eventually be available in-game (but not the former.)

Hellsau posted:

It has the same matchmaking as the Bulldog? Hahahah gently caress that.

Also I can't bring myself to play tanks where I'm liable to run out of ammo before killing every enemy. Those losses are just too depressing.

Just load all HE then. Look at the shells, they do more damage!

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I'm retarded so I bought a t-34-3.

I only had time to solopub two games but uhhhh, I thought this was supposed to be a bad tank.

edit: lookit dat crew xp

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DonkeyHotay posted:

I only had time to solopub two games but uhhhh, I thought this was supposed to be a bad tank.

edit: lookit dat crew xp

The T-34-3 is a fun tank. The problem with it is you have to work a lot harder to get the same results of other premium tanks. Personally I really enjoy the Chinese mediums that strap gently caress off high alpha guns to their tanks.

Also just played a T-54 Proto game and blocked 2,250 damage with armor so it works against retards.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 1, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

DonkeyHotay posted:

The T-34-3 isn't that bad. It's not great, no, but I think it got buffed somewhat recently and it's not terrible. The T-34-2 may be the shittiest of the t8 mediums but the T-34-3 is at least better than it in an absolute sense (it handles the same gun better) while also having preferential MM. The pref MM really makes the difference between it being a terrible piece of garbage and it being okay but not great.

I took a long break from mine while my Chinese medium crew was working through the lights. I've come back to it and it's actually pretty decent now and doesn't seem to have the same curse my FCM 50t has.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This weekend is going to be awful. Every game is full of TD's right now with 700+ alpha guns. Dying when you have been shot a total of two times is just loving retarded.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BadLlama posted:

This weekend is going to be awful. Every game is full of TD's right now with 700+ alpha guns. Dying when you have been shot a total of two times is just loving retarded.

Just from people trying to snipe kills for togs?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Azhais posted:

Just from people trying to snipe kills for togs?

I don't understand it. It would make sense if everyone was in ISU's and poo poo but each match is like 3 of those and then 3 other TD's it doesn't make sense.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How garbage/not garbage are the UK Medium and TD lines? I've been considering starting one of them and with the sale I might as well think harder about it, but if they're all trash I'll just move on

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The medium line is nice up to T7, after which it gets really really boring. The brick TD line is fantastic if you want a brick and hellish if you don't.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Azhais posted:

How garbage/not garbage are the UK Medium and TD lines? I've been considering starting one of them and with the sale I might as well think harder about it, but if they're all trash I'll just move on

If you play the turreted TD line, for god's sake man, the Archer will put your balls in a vise as you try to deal with terrible gun handling. I am only 10k from finishing it, but it's taken from when it was released for me to bother getting it that far.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I was just had a platoon of two 42%'ers block me in during an entire game. I'm already in an AMX 38, I don't need to be boxed in for it to be a boring, bad match.

In the end, one of them was driving into my front while the other had his side to my back. We were winning pretty handily despite being down three players, essentially, when an enemy M5 Stuart pops up - I start backing up and the combined power of my engine with that of the guy driving into my front pushes him back. So we slowly drive to engage this M5, like some sort of mutant TOG. Hilariously, I ended up as the last one left standing.

http://worldoftanks.eu/community/accounts/527379784-vimsen123/
http://worldoftanks.eu/community/accounts/503516206-maggen97/

My fellow TOG-members.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
I was in a match a few minutes ago with possibly the strangest toon ever. One was a 50-120 lovely, like 400 WN8 lovely. The other was a 4800 WN8 re-roll (1k games!) in an E75, who hid the entire game like a CHAI-sniping superstud.

Our pack of questionables blew them apart, but I found it worth commenting on.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

To free-xp past the AMX 40 or not. Dilemmas.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

R. Mute posted:

Do it.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
Me on TS tonight: "Oh you've really never seen dickbutt before? It's a dick, with a butt, with a dick coming out of its butt."

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Mygamestoday.jpg

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I did it, I finally got LT-15 done for the T28 HTC. 5600 spotting damage and 175 WN8 for the game. Ha.

T-55a here I come :negative:

Edit: EU server is the best for the most angry of pubbie Eastern European putdowns:

maev fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Mute posted:

Save yourself the agony and do it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The only probably with free xping the AMX 40 is you miss out on the epic AMX 40 vs AMX 40 scenario.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Azhais posted:

The UK medium line is one of the best lines in the game, except at t10 for which it gets an unfairly bad rap. Considering only t2-t9 I'd probably call it the best line in the game, and post-buff the 4202 at t10 isn't that bad either. The cruiser III and IV are hilariously broken, like these should have been nerfed the patch after they came out. The Covenanter is probably the low point of the line but it's still pretty solid in its own tier, which is more than can be said for the low points of some other lines. The crusader is a medium with extra camo on the move, nothing wrong there.

T6 mediums are a strong bunch but the Cromwell sits at the top of the pack with great DPM and good pen and alpha for its tier, on top of being super fast with good depression. T7 mediums are a mixed bag but the Comet is the Comet - comfortably the best t7 medium, though the T-34-1 is a bit better when only considering t9 games. The Centurion 1 is a great t8 medium; it's better than the Pershing at the Pershing's strength, but it's worse than the Pershing in other areas since the Pershing is more of a generalist.

The Centurion 7/1 is amazing and is probably my favourite of the t9 mediums, even if I'd say the E 50 is better overall. It's also the best looking tank in the game, bar none.

For what it's worth the British line as a whole is not particularly forgiving for new players, though not as bad as the French. If you're new I'd recommend to stay away from it.

Prav posted:

The medium line is nice up to T7, after which it gets really really boring. The brick TD line is fantastic if you want a brick and hellish if you don't.

This post is dumb and bad.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I just got the 105mm on the Batchat.

Where has this gun/vehicle combo been all of my life.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Desuwa posted:

For what it's worth the British line as a whole is not particularly forgiving for new players, though not as bad as the French. If you're new I'd recommend to stay away from it.

Thanks for the review. Not new, maybe I'll give it a try.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Prav posted:

The brick TD line is great at tier5 and tier7.
The AT-7 is the hidden gem in that line (well until they nerf it next patch).
You get a 20pdr at tier7 with 221 pen with good handling and good frontal armour for its tier where you can easily hide the weakspots.
The AT-15 feels like a massive downgrade to it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cardiac posted:

The brick TD line is great at tier5 and tier7.
The AT-7 is the hidden gem in that line (well until they nerf it next patch).
You get a 20pdr at tier7 with 221 pen with good handling and good frontal armour for its tier where you can easily hide the weakspots.
The AT-15 feels like a massive downgrade to it.

The hidden gem of the at-7 is using the stock 6pdr gun. The pubbies will rage at you being being a hacker because of the very short inter clip reload.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The AT-2 and AT-7 are great, the AT-8 and AT-15 are bad, and the Tortoise would be good in a world where gold rounds for credits wasn't a thing, and they hadn't designed tier 10 TDs to be able to two shot anything.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How good is the Cent's turret compared to the Caerns Turret?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

How good is the Cent's turret compared to the Caerns Turret?

It's been a while since I've played either, but I think they get basically the same top turret. They have decent mantlets but they can be penetrated by 200+ pen shells, and the turret roof slopes down the front and is a weak spot. Also the cheeks are weak. I think the accuracy change may work in the Centurion-style turrets' favor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Cent turrets are fun but unreliable, I've had them bounce silver rounds from a JpE on the mantlet, and get penned through the same mantlet by silver rounds from an IS and a Black Prince.

It's good odds for bouncing shells while bobbing up and down on hills, but don't just sit there like you're a T32

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The rule with Centurion turrets is that you'll never bounce anything that you were expecting to bounce. Likewise you will never, ever pen them when you're shooting at them, especially when it matters, but you'll occasionally put a bullshit snapshot clean through their mantlet at 500 metres when you were aiming at a different tank.

The nerf they got, though it was like a year ago at this point, was completely unnecessary but didn't really change that much.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

NTRabbit posted:

The AT-2 and AT-7 are great, the AT-8 and AT-15 are bad, and the Tortoise would be good in a world where gold rounds for credits wasn't a thing, and they hadn't designed tier 10 TDs to be able to two shot anything.

I didn't realize the AT-8 was considered weak, I have a 63% winrate in it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

KurdtLives posted:

I didn't realize the AT-8 was considered weak, I have a 63% winrate in it somehow.

On paper it has the same armour thickness as the -2 and -7, but in practise it's got a much worse shape and slope, so lots of tier 6/7 stuff punches right through your exposed vertical front casemate, and anything that can't has numerous weak spots to aim at. It also has awful gun traverse, so you never get to angle the front and generate more thickness like you can in the AT-15.

The -2 and -7 get that big sloped lump of fuckoffium in the middle of the front overlapping the change from slope to vertical, it's not perfect but it offers a lot more protection, plus most things the -2 faces can't even pen the giant troll cupola.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 2, 2015