Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
That thing is ugly as gently caress but it seems to be designed in large part around working as well as is possible with Arizona's climate, which is pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Closet station lol

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye
The Madigan library at the college I went to, The Pennsylvania College of Technology, Williamsport PA.

You can't see it, but the back part is tan-ish concrete, with some tan plastic cladding on a different part.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i thought that was an art building at first lmao

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

KernelSlanders posted:

How about aluminum?

I've been seeing this kind of louver system popping up on new projects. What building is this and who designed it?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

flosofl posted:

I actually kind of like it. Of course, I'm saying that never having been there in person. There could be a whole level of hellishness with this thing I can't appreciate over the Internet.

It's actually a pretty nifty little area. There's a nice little park around it, and beneath is a courtyard with some nice plants and poo poo. Not bad for a city hall in the Phoenix metro. Now if you want to see ugly go across the street to ASU. Brutalist buildings everywhere.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 30, 2015

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

KiteAuraan posted:

It's actually a pretty nifty little area. There's a nice little park around it, and beneath is a courtyard with some nice plants and poo poo. Not bad for a city hall in the Phoenix metro.

one time i was walking through there at around like 1 am to get to mill and i saw what looked to be bloodstains on the concrete

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Feminition posted:

one time i was walking through there at around like 1 am to get to mill and i saw what looked to be bloodstains on the concrete

It's adjacent to ASU, there's going to be a lot of blood, comes with the territory.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

petecas posted:

Here's a marvel of architecture I pass by a few times a year, the never-managed-to-open Igloo Hotel.

There's a great slideshow here.

This reminds me of the Gobbler, a neat failed motel/supperclub in WI.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/

Apparently it's going to finally be rehabbed into a music venue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AajNoE2AqnY

It was designed by this guy who specializes in prairie style weirdness
http://www.helmutajango.com/

a police station that looks like DaVinci's tank, how inviting

Wisconsin was also home to one of the Xanadu tourist trap styrofoam homes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanadu_Houses

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

flosofl posted:

I actually kind of like it. Of course, I'm saying that never having been there in person. There could be a whole level of hellishness with this thing I can't appreciate over the Internet.

It's in Tempe. "Whole level of hellishness" indeed.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Feminition posted:

tempe municipal building, built in the 70s. yes, it's an upside-down pyramid.

Oh hey, it's the big brother of that one credit union building in Tucson.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Feminition posted:

tempe municipal building, built in the 70s. yes, it's an upside-down pyramid.
Does it come with an urban legend about the blueprint being held upside down?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

How about aluminum?

Are you sure it is aluminium? I know a couple of buildings that have titanium siding (appearently the real estate developers had just way too much money).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Noggin Monkey posted:

I've been seeing this kind of louver system popping up on new projects. What building is this and who designed it?

snohetta, they do good work.

It's a library with an additional archive of 18,000 underground bins worth of books and a robot that fetches the ones you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4f8UbuSzY

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

cubicle gangster posted:

snohetta, they do good work.

It's a library with an additional archive of 18,000 underground bins worth of books and a robot that fetches the ones you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4f8UbuSzY

we need books. lots of books

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Delivery McGee posted:

The best part is that if you look closely, it's slightly curved -- it started to tilt during construction (took a long-rear end time to build), and they built the upper floors to be level after the lower floors had started to tilt.

No, the best part is that it's the bell tower for this church:

Let's have a closer look at that wall:

Yeah, it's not exactly straight. No, wait, the best part is:

There are other two leaning bell towers in Pisa

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

drat, get your poo poo together, Pisa.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
Barton Towers, public housing in Indianapolis, Indiana. An annex was built some time later, with a sky bridge that contained thirty or forty additional units suspended above a major thoroughfare. But that was torn down in the nineties after it was decided that it was loving insane to suspend cheap government apartments above a busy city street.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DNova posted:

drat, get your poo poo together, Pisa.

Pisa can't help that the worlds round.

All buildings in other cities are crap for not embracing the spherical nature of the globe on which they're built. :colbert:

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!

Pubic Lair posted:

It was designed by this guy who specializes in prairie style weirdness
http://www.helmutajango.com/

a police station that looks like DaVinci's tank, how inviting

That is ridiculously ominous. What time are the sacrifices?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Not sure why I've never heard of this one until today. The Garden Bridge is planned to open in London in 2018.

It's a cool concept, but apparently is already having financial problems, won't be accessible by cyclists, and will be closed during nighttime hours. On the plus side, I'm sure tourists will love it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Why would you close a bridge during the night? And why wouldn't you make that thing bike accessible? :psyduck:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

netally posted:

Not sure why I've never heard of this one until today. The Garden Bridge is planned to open in London in 2018.

It's a cool concept, but apparently is already having financial problems, won't be accessible by cyclists, and will be closed during nighttime hours. On the plus side, I'm sure tourists will love it.
I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the bridge would also somehow have a (really low) limit to how many people would even be allowed to be on it at any one time too.* Tourists might not love it so much if they have to wait in line to walk across it.

*I assume this is some anti-poor/youth initiative.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Tourists might not love it so much if they have to wait in line to walk across it.

Clearly the solution to the financial problem and the wait times is to sell FastPasses.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Why would you close a bridge during the night? And why wouldn't you make that thing bike accessible? :psyduck:

People without homes tend to live in heavily wooded or brushy areas. Like Central Park, San Francisco's Golden Gate park, etc. Trees can block cold winds so it's a little warmer, and there's a small amount of privacy so you're hassled less. Also crimes, I guess.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bogans could hide in the bushes. :ohdear:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wedemeyer posted:

People without homes tend to live in heavily wooded or brushy areas. Like Central Park, San Francisco's Golden Gate park, etc. Trees can block cold winds so it's a little warmer, and there's a small amount of privacy so you're hassled less. Also crimes, I guess.

Since London literally uses metal spikes to keep away rough sleepers, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a way to keep the homeless out. Shame, because it'd probably look awesome at night.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

Chicago has a lot of gorgeous architecture. Soldier Field is not one example.

I hate this so much. I went to a Packer Bears game pre-renovation and it was an awesome experience. It felt old timey and fitting for a good scrappy rivalry.

I don't know what they did to it, but it's a huge eyesore when you drive anywhere near it. I wish they'd tear it all off and bring back the original.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Bishop posted:

Oh hey, it's the big brother of that one credit union building in Tucson.

That....that pyramid has a drive through :aaaaa:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

netally posted:

Since London literally uses metal spikes

And here I thought it was a dick move when I noticed some park benches in my city had these metal loops in the middle to prevent homeless folks from laying down on them. Holy poo poo.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
here's some dumb piece of crap

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AwwJeah posted:

here's some dumb piece of crap

I'll bite. What is it?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's a doughnut shaped skyscraper by an Italian architect in Guangzhou, China. "The architectural concept is for a building that will be immediately perceived as a native Chinese landmark using a closed and central structure instead of the usual western skyscrapers stereotype," said the architect.

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/01/10/doughnut-shaped-skyscraper-guangzhou-china/

I like how it stands alone in its arrogance staring ruminatively into the river while the main metropolitan area miles on the horizon parties without it. The locals obviously hate this thing.

Otherwise it's a pretty tidy looking city.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 2, 2015

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Philthy posted:

I hate this so much. I went to a Packer Bears game pre-renovation and it was an awesome experience. It felt old timey and fitting for a good scrappy rivalry.

I don't know what they did to it, but it's a huge eyesore when you drive anywhere near it. I wish they'd tear it all off and bring back the original.

Sadly that'll never happen, seating capacity is too valuable. The best that could be hoped for is that wretched mess to get torn down.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

hackbunny posted:

No, the best part is that it's the bell tower for this church:

Let's have a closer look at that wall:

Yeah, it's not exactly straight. No, wait, the best part is:

There are other two leaning bell towers in Pisa

I always learn something new from this thread.... like how Pisa has issues with water table fluctuation: http://madridengineering.com/case-study-the-leaning-tower-of-pisa/

Vicodiva fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 3, 2015

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's one, the Death Star. A concrete maze designed on purpose to be unnavigable, with no landmarks, maps, or consistent numbering system.

quote:

The building also interacts with the people who use it. It was supposedly designed on purpose to be confusing. Visitors are often forced to talk to someone to find out how to get to where they need to go. Doorways that you need to pass through will sometimes be locked, forcing you to find a new way. The doors that get locked rotate every so often, further confusing the situation. The idea was to force human interaction because it houses the social sciences.

Hope you can find your class before it starts!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Add a bounce pad and some railgun ammo and it's a Quake 3 level.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Yawgmoth posted:

Because it's not actually a bridge you're supposed to use, it's an elaborate tourist trap owned by a private company. Total shitshow.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

darkwasthenight posted:

Because it's not actually a bridge you're supposed to use, it's an elaborate tourist trap owned by a private company. Total shitshow.

which means it doesn't solve the problem of "we need a new bridge" at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

blowfish posted:

which means it doesn't solve the problem of "we need a new bridge" at all

I thought it wasn't getting planning permission for this very reason?

• Locked thread