Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's neither unexpected nor low probability. Stop lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

Isn't the unexpected/low probability nature of the hiatus a signal to you that the models are perhaps tuned incorrectly? I imagine this would be intuitive to a naive, unbiased observer. The resistance to questioning the theoretical assumptions of the models seems the position contrary to the science of global warming. Thankfully there are a lot of scientists who don't share that ideological intransigence, including many who believe in the worst case scenarios but are open to being wrong, unlike this thread.

Oh shutup. You mean scientists that share your specific political viewpoint, like Roy Spencer, noted moron and creationist.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You know you're on the wrong side of an argument when even loving Reddit actually bans it..

That is the best reason to be on the wrong side.
Global warming crowd is not really sure what is going on, they keep redefining things to fit their model.
Hugging trees is not going to fix things, population reduction is the answer, but ouch, we love everyone.
"Science" has been corrupted and is vomiting bad data, everything is suspect.
I saw the hockey stick graph, that is now a joke, we are on a temp hold\the oceans are holding heat\jesus willed it to be that way.The data was not predictive of what happened (bottom line, credibility shot).
The historical fact is that the climate changes, and there is very little we can do to stop it.
Drive a Prius, drive a Hummer, drive your mom over to see me on Saturday night. The cow that just busted rear end, erased everything you have worked for in one glorious flatulent exhale.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Dahn posted:

Global warming crowd is not really sure what is going on, they keep redefining things to fit their model.
Hugging trees is not going to fix things, population reduction is the answer, but ouch, we love everyone.
I saw the hockey stick graph, that is now a joke, we are on a temp hold\the oceans are holding heat\jesus willed it to be that way.The data was not predictive of what happened (bottom line, credibility shot).
The historical fact is that the climate changes, and there is very little we can do to stop it.
Drive a Prius, drive a Hummer, drive your mom over to see me on Saturday night. The cow that just busted rear end, erased everything you have worked for in one glorious flatulent exhale.

Well just look at this

newsarticlecomments.txt

Edit: Well not serious post but my reply still holds dammit

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 28, 2015

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Arkane posted:

I think the most persuasive arguments for me points to 1-1.5. I'm biased obviously. For it to be below 1, there would need to be negative feedbacks. ECS will be a bit higher than TCR, most likely.

The thing is, though, regardless of the bias....a paper published in let's say 2005 has 9 years less data than one published in 2014. That may seem like a trivial amount, but when you're talking about a period of time as defined by (approximately) 1940 onward when we really began cranking out carbon dioxide and a human signal is present, 9 years is a pretty drat big increase in your observations. You don't you think it is correct to put weight onto newer analyses of sensitivity that incorporate the hiatus?

For instance, this was published a few weeks ago: http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n5/full/nclimate2573.html You can see that the hiatus reduces their most likely estimates from 2.8C for ECS to 2.5C. That's a big difference. They find a 10% chance of it being below 2C, and a .02% chance of it being above 4C.

Isn't the unexpected/low probability nature of the hiatus a signal to you that the models are perhaps tuned incorrectly? I imagine this would be intuitive to a naive, unbiased observer. The resistance to questioning the theoretical assumptions of the models seems the position contrary to the science of global warming. Thankfully there are a lot of scientists who don't share that ideological intransigence, including many who believe in the worst case scenarios but are open to being wrong, unlike this thread.

Hi again Arkane.

Do you remember how much the temperature has risen in the last few years?
2010: +0.66 °C
2011: +0.55 °C
2012: +0.57 °C
2013: +0.60 °C
2014: +0.67 °C

Do you recall that this is a scale based on the 1951-1980 mean temperature of 14.0 °C? How quickly do you suppose this means things have changed?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Evil_Greven posted:

Hi again Arkane.

Do you remember how much the temperature has risen in the last few years?
2010: +0.66 °C
2011: +0.55 °C
2012: +0.57 °C
2013: +0.60 °C
2014: +0.67 °C

Do you recall that this is a scale based on the 1951-1980 mean temperature of 14.0 °C? How quickly do you suppose this means things have changed?

Congrats on confusing total anomaly with trend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Series DD Funding posted:

Congrats on confusing total anomaly with trend.

Yeah, all those record warm temperatures and record low density ice packs surely are just a total anomaly, not related in any way :rolleyes:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Pretty sure this hasn't been posted, but apparently Audi have come up with a better synthetic diesel? I guess the reduction of emissions is still contingent upon the manufacturing process using green energy, and synthetics aren't really new, but it seems like this could be pretty huge if it's being backed by a big car company and ends up being economical enough to warrant mass production.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Pretty sure this hasn't been posted, but apparently Audi have come up with a better synthetic diesel? I guess the reduction of emissions is still contingent upon the manufacturing process using green energy, and synthetics aren't really new, but it seems like this could be pretty huge if it's being backed by a big car company and ends up being economical enough to warrant mass production.

It's more energy intensive than current fuels in widespread use so it's a non-starter.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dahn posted:

lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dahn posted:

Burma Shave

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dahn posted:

What's it like being unable to have a coherent thought?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dahn posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dahn posted:

i don't think you get how science works or what changes to our way of life would actually combat climate change

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

this cartoon is dumb as gently caress, there is a massive cost to rebuilding the entire global energy grid at a cost of trillions of dollars and that cost is only justified if ACC is severe. That capital could be far better used directly to achieve those ends rather than as a trickle down effect of building wind turbines.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

SKELETONS posted:

this cartoon is dumb as gently caress, there is a massive cost to rebuilding the entire global energy grid at a cost of trillions of dollars and that cost is only justified if ACC is severe. That capital could be far better used directly to achieve those ends rather than as a trickle down effect of building wind turbines.

The cartoon doesn't mention anything about "rebuilding the entire global energy grid". Where did you get that idea?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SKELETONS posted:

Versus the actual practice of trickle down which is basically killing the Middle Class right now.

You're an idiot.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

SKELETONS posted:

We are killing the oceans through acidification and fertilizer run off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SKELETONS posted:

This post is dumb as gently caress, energy generation is not the only carbon-emitting industrial activity.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

SKELETONS posted:

things real americans believe.txt

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Elon Musk is at it again. Taking existing ideas to the next level. Using proven battery technology from Tesla Motors to not only supply home battery packs but also to power nations. I don't know if this can really change the world but it inspires hope that it can change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKORsrlN-2k&feature=youtu.be
http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Senate just voted down AGW.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Senate just voted down AGW.

huih?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tanreall posted:

Elon Musk is at it again. Taking existing ideas to the next level. Using proven battery technology from Tesla Motors to not only supply home battery packs but also to power nations. I don't know if this can really change the world but it inspires hope that it can change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKORsrlN-2k&feature=youtu.be
http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

On the other hand, older, and cheaper AGM batteries have more tolerant operating ranges and half the self discharge rate... at a cost of weight and volume, but who gives a poo poo when you are looking at a static application? Dude is betting on the power of marketing to blast past those obvious drawbacks. Doesn't mean that he won't succeed, but it does mean it looks like pouring mercury down your junk instead of taking antibiotics to cure the syphilis.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

The House (not Senate, yet) just voted to gut NASA's earth science program (and its climate change research by proxy): http://news.sciencemag.org/earth/2015/05/u-s-house-bill-would-slash-nasa-earth-science

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Claverjoe posted:

On the other hand, older, and cheaper AGM batteries have more tolerant operating ranges and half the self discharge rate... at a cost of weight and volume, but who gives a poo poo when you are looking at a static application? Dude is betting on the power of marketing to blast past those obvious drawbacks. Doesn't mean that he won't succeed, but it does mean it looks like pouring mercury down your junk instead of taking antibiotics to cure the syphilis.

can you walk me through this...what exactly would I need to get installed to power a solar system from an AGM standpoint to match the Tesla product? How bulky would it be, and how much would it cost? Finding it a bit hard to believe that they are making a big fanfare out of a poo poo product.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Claverjoe posted:

Li-Ion have higher energy density, require less maintenance, have approximately twice the lifespan, are less hazardous to the environment, perform better in the cold, and will require less energy to ship all over the world due to it's lower weight and volume. There could be other factors I am not aware of as well but the usual knock on Li-Ion is cost.

Here is a AGM competitor:
http://www.bluepacificsolar.com/home-solar/home-battery-backup.html
Note that the batteries on this product only have a 1 year warranty while Tesla has a 10 year warranty for the whole thing.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Arkane posted:

can you walk me through this...what exactly would I need to get installed to power a solar system from an AGM standpoint to match the Tesla product? How bulky would it be, and how much would it cost? Finding it a bit hard to believe that they are making a big fanfare out of a poo poo product.

People made a big deal of photovoltaic glass roads and that was just a couple of insane hippies.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tanreall posted:

Li-Ion have higher energy density, require less maintenance, have approximately twice the lifespan, are less hazardous to the environment, perform better in the cold, and will require less energy to ship all over the world due to it's lower weight and volume. There could be other factors I am not aware of as well but the usual knock on Li-Ion is cost.

Here is a AGM competitor:
http://www.bluepacificsolar.com/home-solar/home-battery-backup.html
Note that the batteries on this product only have a 1 year warranty while Tesla has a 10 year warranty for the whole thing.

So for $7000...I could buy two Tesla PowerWalls, 20kwh of storage power, which can hang inconspicuously in my garage....versus that monstrosity/science experiment, with half the storage capacity. Claverjoe, what say ye?

I am guessing the Tesla 10 year warranty is probably like X% by year 10. No idea on the degradation rate, probably depends on how frequently you charge/discharge?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

Oh, I'm sure it's an excellent product high quality product like the tesla cars themselves and it'll work just fine, but it is not a sensible product on what you get for the price that could enjoy mass deployment on a utility scale. I suppose the mercury comment was a bit hyperbolic though.

Cost of an AGM system that the above poster offered up is what, 7.6k, and the Li-ion product from the article is stated 18.3k, to do the same thing to allow for ballparking. I'm not so sure about the maintenance really being a difference considering how finicky Li-ion is, and shipping weight is a non-issue on the mass difference the represent. Lithium isn't nearly as well established at recycling as lead, so I'm not too sure I believe the line about that either. Hell, you really shouldn't even attempt to charge most Li-ion batteries below zero centigrade, so I *really* don't know where you get that temperature performance idea.

EDIT:
Nevermind, it looks like I'm totally wrong, the 18.3k price is from an earlier Tesla home battery.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-expanding-battery-technology-to-homes-businesses/

Thought it is unclear whether or not the 3.5k is wholesale to sellers or retail to consumers, but that is a minor quibble until we see what you or I could buy it for.

Hey, I guess it will probably be more worthwhile than the AGM.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 2, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Claverjoe posted:

He already lost his bet. He believed they'd be able to pull the cost of their cars down enough to enter a mass-market and began building the batteries pre-emptively. Now he's stuck with all these batteries and trying to find something to do with them.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Necc0 posted:

He already lost his bet. He believed they'd be able to pull the cost of their cars down enough to enter a mass-market and began building the batteries pre-emptively. Now he's stuck with all these batteries and trying to find something to do with them.

Say what now? The Gigafactory that is going to mass produce batteries isn't going to be online until 2016, and the plan to build a mass market electric vehicle has always been 2017.

They're not even able to sell these PowerWalls for months: earliest delivery is August, and there'll probably be a lag where supply catches up with demand.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Arkane posted:

Say what now? The Gigafactory that is going to mass produce batteries isn't going to be online until 2016, and the plan to build a mass market electric vehicle has always been 2017.

They're not even able to sell these PowerWalls for months: earliest delivery is August, and there'll probably be a lag where supply catches up with demand.

And there's a waiting list for all Tesla models. It's a niche market and there's a long way to go before it moves beyond that but there's no reason why they can't start a similar niche market in batteries.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

You'd think a figure of Legates' prominence would have some kind of press kit; perhaps Heartland lost it and had no recourse but to use a YouTube screencap or something

On the other hand, you've got to appreciate a veteran like Monckton who doesn't just accept the coveted Smarmy Fucker card but goddamn embraces it

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You don't get much goonier than those two faces.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Monckton is just a failed Tory who turned out to be too much of an inbred posh moron even for UKIP. He gets attention and some kind of validation that he's a 'political figure' from climate denial. Kind of pathetic, really.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

more like christopher not-an-actual-lord monckton.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Check out this quality climate reporting:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/06/global-temperature-down-in-april-just-7100ths-of-a-degree-above-normal/

"Global Temperature down in April"

(just 0.07 degrees above the 1981-2010 average)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Placid Marmot posted:

Check out this quality climate reporting:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/06/global-temperature-down-in-april-just-7100ths-of-a-degree-above-normal/

"Global Temperature down in April"

(just 0.07 degrees above the 1981-2010 average)

I've been looking for this clip from The Jerk on youtube for years whenever I see this kind of cherry picking and finally "carnival scene" did the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6DtzRUF5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

I've been looking for this clip from The Jerk on youtube for years whenever I see this kind of cherry picking and finally "carnival scene" did the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6DtzRUF5U

"Watch the man, not the dog"

• Locked thread