Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fans posted:

That's kind of the point though. There's an audience for that stuff, despite it being really low effort. I'm sure we've all watched some poo poo in our time just because nothing better was about. Hell most of internet reviewers are about going over the poo poo we watched because nothing better was on.

I was going to say in hindsight I thought you might've meant the old Youtuber trick of "I have something important to say over this 30 minutes of looping B-roll!" but I guess not? Regardless of the raw effort involved, if the final product fills a useful niche (and I believe "here's my thoughts while playing the first 15-30 minutes of the game, including the little stuff like menus and UI" does), I wouldn't brush it off as low quality trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'd rather watch Game Theory than TB because while neither of them have any substance or say anything worthwhile, at least Game Theory videos are short. :shrug:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fans posted:

Quality can matter, but Quantity is pretty well valued too. There's enough people who prefer constant content over quality content for stuff that's a bit poo poo to become quite popular.

RLM are doing drat good for themselves; they've got the most lucrative Patreon of any reviewer and some legit mainstream buzz (Patton Oswalt's a fan, IIRC); and their most popular reviews are currently operating under a Homestar Runner update schedule. :v:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

John Murdoch posted:

I was going to say in hindsight I thought you might've meant the old Youtuber trick of "I have something important to say over this 30 minutes of looping B-roll!" but I guess not? Regardless of the raw effort involved, if the final product fills a useful niche (and I believe "here's my thoughts while playing the first 15-30 minutes of the game, including the little stuff like menus and UI" does), I wouldn't brush it off as low quality trash.

I do believe it fills a niche, I just think it's also low quality.

It's cheap, easy to produce and means you can have a constant stream of content. Lots of people like reading fanfiction, doesn't mean fanfiction becomes high quality because of that.

DStecks posted:

RLM are doing drat good for themselves; they've got the most lucrative Patreon of any reviewer and some legit mainstream buzz (Patton Oswalt's a fan, IIRC); and their most popular reviews are currently operating under a Homestar Runner update schedule. :v:

Hey if you can be good and prolific then I'm not surprised you do really well! Not everyone can be RLM though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fans posted:

I do believe it fills a niche, I just think it's also low quality.

It's cheap, easy to produce and means you can have a constant stream of content. Lots of people like reading fanfiction, doesn't mean fanfiction becomes high quality because of that.

Hey if you can be good and prolific then I'm not surprised you do really well! Not everyone can be RLM though.

I mean that they're not super prolific, at least not on the level of many multiple-videos-a-week YouTubers. I guess they're fairly prolific by the standards of CA. (Homestar Runner update schedule is the nice way to say "unofficially retired")

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

DStecks posted:

(Patton Oswalt's a fan, IIRC)

Wasn't Patton Oswalt an AICN gimmick critic back in the day? I believe Doug copied his shtick for his bum reviews.

(Also, AICN is, and also has been, a terrible website and Harry Knowles is the quintessential obnoxious man-child reviewer.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The vast majority of audiences don't have a strong grasp on relative quality, and/or they don't care as long something is there and vaguely entertaining.

See: XKCD, bestseller books, most TV, newspaper comics, fast food, etc. etc. etc.

It's unfortunate if you're got more high-flown tastes and have to sift through junk to find good things, but that's just kind of how it is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Wasn't Patton Oswalt an AICN gimmick critic back in the day? I believe Doug copied his shtick for his bum reviews.

(Also, AICN is, and also has been, a terrible website and Harry Knowles is the quintessential obnoxious man-child reviewer.)

Patton Oswalt was the rumored true author of those Neill Cumpston reviews, which came along around 2003 or so:

https://urchin.earth.li/~twic/Neill_Cumpston.html

I didn't know he came back after the Matrix one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

The vast majority of audiences don't have a strong grasp on relative quality, and/or they don't care as long something is there and vaguely entertaining.

See: XKCD, bestseller books, most TV, newspaper comics, fast food, etc. etc. etc.

It's unfortunate if you're got more high-flown tastes and have to sift through junk to find good things, but that's just kind of how it is.
How's the weather on that high horse?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's okay if someone doesn't like something you like. That's life. In fact, here's someone else who liked that movie, flaws and all.

Don't make achilles feel worse for liking something by linking that please.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Turns out it was for naught since it wasn't the movie he was worried about in the first place.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How's the weather on that high horse?

What part of what I said implied any sort of judgment? A thing can be enjoyable without being good quality, and there's nothing wrong with that. The only problem is if you want less common stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Pictures for Sad Children is a prime example of what you're saying, but it's primary target are people who think they have better taste than "the masses".

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 30, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PresidentBeard posted:

Pictures for Sad Children is a prime example of what you're saying, but it's primary target are people who think they have better taste than "the mases".

Wow, never seen someone ride a giraffe before.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://t.co/o2dSGtdAuB

Yay! That Chick With The Goggles is back! :)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
It’s May (at least in my hemisphere), which means it’s Mental Health Month in the US. Every year I make a short video about coping with mental illness, and I encourage other Internet video people to write or vlog likewise. My video this year is entitled “Don’t be a Jedi.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

echopapa posted:

It’s May (at least in my hemisphere), which means it’s Mental Health Month in the US. Every year I make a short video about coping with mental illness, and I encourage other Internet video people to write or vlog likewise. My video this year is entitled “Don’t be a Jedi.”

That's a great thing to do. There's a ton of silence around something that is shockingly common.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

watho posted:

I'd rather watch Game Theory than TB because while neither of them have any substance or say anything worthwhile, at least Game Theory videos are short. :shrug:

Eh. I have a lot of issues with TB but I find his WTF is videos and Port Reports really useful for getting a feel for a game. Giant Bomb Quick Looks are good and all but TB's stuff is about half as long at most usually.

Jack Gladney posted:

That's a great thing to do. There's a ton of silence around something that is shockingly common.

It's not even that there's silence but people are unfortunately shamed a lot for mental illness or told to just tough it out.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The problem is especially acute where I live now. We have a very traditional culture here in Micronesia, where you’re expected to let your family solve your problems. (Because your family couldn’t possibly be the problem, now could it?) As a result, for an island of 55,000 people, we have one psychiatrist and one counselor.

I keep seeing people post about how watching Internet critics got them through tough times in their lives, so I figured it would be a good idea to have those critics point people in the direction of more active coping skills.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
The universe is an odd place sometimes. After dressing up at C2E2 and getting all excited to meet the Walker brothers....guess who ends up sitting a row up behind me at Avengers 2 last night? In my surprise I called him out and we chatted for a bit (apparently people were coming to him all day saying they thought I was him walking around). After the movie people were bugging him for pictures and stuff. I felt bad, and caught him at the door and apologized for drawing attention to him. He laughed and said no it's fine, people were doing that all night before I said anything.

He really is just a nice guy. I feel like an accidental stalker all the same.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Doug interviews Tommy Wiseau. Yes, THAT Tommy Wiseau.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Wait! That theatre he showed at the end... the one with the Rifftrax logo superimposed on the marquee... is that The Uptown in Kansas City?

I might need to watch it a second time. Between the bad audio and him just generally speaking like Tommy Wiseau, I'm not sure if I understood a single word he said. I know he's proud of The Room, and I guess the rooftop scenes were hard to shoot?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm just curious did Brad ever do a vlog of Daredevil?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tracula posted:

I hate to sound like an rear end in a top hat but does quality even matter? I've been watching Game Theory and far as I can tell all that he does is edit his videos in a way that appeals to the youtube masses with no regards to if its worth a gently caress and pulls in insane views..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPZFPYhmzs

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAp-QCHj_A

Time to take a big ol' mouthful of the Marvel meat!

I wonder if I post this in the comic book movie thread, would SMG explode?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Don't forget that CineD literally unironically thinks that The Avengers is about how much The Hulk wants to rape Black Widow

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People read SMG posts?

I mean, I know using the ignore button is frowned upon, but it's SMG.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tracula posted:

Don't forget that CineD literally unironically thinks that The Avengers is about how much The Hulk wants to rape Black Widow

Really dumb on their part. Hulk and Black Widow? That's just crazy talk.

People read SMG posts?

I mean, I know using the ignore button is frowned upon, but it's SMG.

Those nerd property threads would be really dull without someone who looks really hard at movies as movies.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I find it funny when people think that SMG is insane when HBG basically took a vow of silence from this thread for posting 20 paragraphs per post about why Star Trek Into Darkness and Transformers are the most perfect representations of cultural bias and racism in modern movies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hbomberguy is the best poster on these forums, and I will not have you disparage him.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

uggghhhhhh I could only make it about halfway through that. I super hate when people use the argument, "Nuh-uh, she's not sexualized! Look, this old art has her topless!" while ignoring literally every other detail, because the only factor in sexualization is whether there's titties showing.

Also wow that "I can't pronounce foreign words tee hee!" schtick is really annoying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's gotten to the point where I like seeing Game Theory videos in my recommends.

Not because they're any good, but because that's space not taken up by youtube recommending me Sargon of Akkad videos.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's gotten to the point where I like seeing Game Theory videos in my recommends.

Not because they're any good, but because that's space not taken up by youtube recommending me Sargon of Akkad videos.

I just use Video Blocker, since I was tired of seeing thunderf00t and the Amazing Atheist every time I watched something from potholer54. (Last I saw, a blocked user's name will still show in the main page recs, but that's all I can see- there's a blank space where the video would be.)

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Puppy Time posted:

I just use Video Blocker, since I was tired of seeing thunderf00t and the Amazing Atheist every time I watched something from potholer54. (Last I saw, a blocked user's name will still show in the main page recs, but that's all I can see- there's a blank space where the video would be.)

Oh hey, something new I need to download. I just went to YouTube to listen to the video someone linked in another thread and I see one of my recommendations is The Amazing Atheist: ANITA SARKEESIAN, YOU OFFICIALLY SUCK AT FEMINISM and blood started to come from my eyes.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did Jim Sterling have a Metal Slug Defense video on YouTube and then take it down for some reason?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
People that hate SMG are hilarious

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

A good poster posted:

Did Jim Sterling have a Metal Slug Defense video on YouTube and then take it down for some reason?

Probably the same reason as always, bullshit copyrights claims.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Mischalaniouse posted:

Oh hey, something new I need to download. I just went to YouTube to listen to the video someone linked in another thread and I see one of my recommendations is The Amazing Atheist: ANITA SARKEESIAN, YOU OFFICIALLY SUCK AT FEMINISM and blood started to come from my eyes.

The Amazing Atheist was also in my recommendations. However, it was recommending his daily videos about Justin Bieber at the time. I guess Anita is now his favored whipping boy. I think this guy has a serious problem with obsession. Or he's just producing click bait for MRAs/pre-teens.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
A few years ago, I thought the AA had a couple good videos and gave him a go, but after 3 or 4 I figured out it was just those couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mad Lupine posted:

The Amazing Atheist was also in my recommendations. However, it was recommending his daily videos about Justin Bieber at the time. I guess Anita is now his favored whipping boy. I think this guy has a serious problem with obsession. Or he's just producing click bait for MRAs/pre-teens.

It's the same as that fat guy who records videos in his bathtub. He must have 100 videos about her, all at least half an hour long and many as long as an hour.

• Locked thread