Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So, you get a discretion on a level 2 exemption for your carrier certificate when you compromise the internal security of the aircraft operating environment by violating the common contract of carriage that the passenger implicitly agrees to with the airline? It's a UK thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

Just the opposite. You can get incredibly capable avionics that work seamlessly with an autopilot for a fraction of the cost.

Many Experimentals have instrument panels that would make a regional airline pilot jealous.

That's very cool and I'm glad to know this for the future.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

So, you get a discretion on a level 2 exemption for your carrier certificate when you compromise the internal security of the aircraft operating environment by violating the common contract of carriage that the passenger implicitly agrees to with the airline? It's a UK thing?

You're thinking of a class C violation. The level 2 exemption is what allows a licensed and qualified carrier to carry unlicensed multinationals without first conducting verifications against tertiary nation-state databases with Interpol. All part of the .21X thing that came out a few years ago after all the incidents. Obviously, hjp766 is saying that TCX now has a discretion on their level 2 exemption, meaning that they'll need to conduct more thorough procedures and verify their screening standards are correctly querying the universal IATA redress certifications. It's a European thing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh. I thought that was only for flights under 500nm. Ignore me.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

aunt jemima posted:

You're thinking of a class C violation. The level 2 exemption is what allows a licensed and qualified carrier to carry unlicensed multinationals without first conducting verifications against tertiary nation-state databases with Interpol. All part of the .21X thing that came out a few years ago after all the incidents. Obviously, hjp766 is saying that TCX now has a discretion on their level 2 exemption, meaning that they'll need to conduct more thorough procedures and verify their screening standards are correctly querying the universal IATA redress certifications. It's a European thing.

Both wrong in UK terms...

The level 2 exemption extends a 2 sector duty by a max of 1hr (in our case to 14hrs15) with 2 crew and is awarded on a flight by flight case by the CAA....

You have 1 hour discretion to get home (aka go to 15hrs15) but any use of this is a Mandatory Occurrence/Discretion Report to the CAA. More than 25% go to discretion on these and we have to go back to night stops. After the 1hr you land and go to a hotel... no alternatives.

In the end we landed after 14hrs and 20 minutes back home.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So maybe the take away is to be more verbose next time instead of leaving people to guess what in the hell you're talking about.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

So maybe the take away is to be more verbose next time instead of leaving people to guess what in the hell you're talking about.

This is the problem when trying to describe things you work with daily... the total number of manual pages we have to deal with runs to about 10000 (Ops A, B, C & D, Ground Ops Manual, PPP, PSA, FCTM Vol 1 & 2, then all FCNs (comprising General, Flight Deck & Fleet specific))

Now when EASA rules kick in at the end of the year someone can explain all the new versions of those to me!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hjp766 posted:

This is the problem when trying to describe things you work with daily... the total number of manual pages we have to deal with runs to about 10000 (Ops A, B, C & D, Ground Ops Manual, PPP, PSA, FCTM Vol 1 & 2, then all FCNs (comprising General, Flight Deck & Fleet specific))

Now when EASA rules kick in at the end of the year someone can explain all the new versions of those to me!

Yes, it is a challenge to be clear and not assume people who aren't in your industry know vague references to thousands of pages of arcane documents. You may eventually learn. This whole thread and forum in general are FULL of people who know how to take advanced concepts and not turn them into acronym salad or jargon.

There was a problem in the early days of the thread with people saying stuff like "I got a Q code from EYR to PQB! WTF." with responses of "Dude, get Z or G into PQB, duh!" Enough people in this thread are untrained and complained about the confusion, so those people making the jargon-filled posts did one of two things:

1) Learned to post better
2) Quit posting

Your options are there.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh boy, acronym chat... again.

Again again. :jerkbag:

Ed: Hah wrong aviation thread but whatever, sentiment remains the same.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 30, 2015

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

helno posted:

Many Experimentals have instrument panels that would make a regional airline pilot jealous.

Yeah, but do they have a coffee maker and a lav? 'cause I've flown airplanes with avionics ranging from spartan to overkill and they all pale in comparison to a cup of joe and a place to put it.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Ospreys are the tightest poo poo, I live next to quantico and love seeing them doing extremely low passes over my house. Sometimes it looks like I can jump and give the pilot a hi-five.

What's the safety record on those things like these days? I remember they used to have a propensity for crashing but I don't know if that's stopped now that they've been in service for a while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They had a propensity for crashing partly because the marines saw the never exceed ratings as a challenge.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

They had a propensity for crashing partly because the marines saw the never exceed ratings as a challenge.

:rolleyes:

I don't know about the lesser mishap levels, but I believe they're getting Class-A's (i.e. major/total loss) at about the same rate as any other military helicopter these days.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I had to deal with my first medical emergency as an airline pilot yesterday, which ended up being very straightforward thanks to a bizarre set of coincidences.

Shortly after we pushed back (just as the captain was releasing the parking brake to taxi), the flight attendants called to tell us that there was a passenger having a pretty bad seizure, and we needed to get medical help ASAP. Since we'd just pushed back from the gate, the captain was able to just make a sharp turn back into the parking spot we'd just left, and the paramedics were on board within probably three minutes of me asking the ramp controller to send them.

The leg before, we'd taken a 20 minute delay due to a mix of flow control and a closed runway at another airport, and ATC added another few minutes of vectors and speed restrictions on top of that. Once we got to the gate, the idiots we contract to "assist" passengers with wheelchairs added about another 10 minutes to our delays by deciding not to show up, and we took a final, brief (maybe 30 second) delay when the ground controller asked us to follow an aircraft that took some time to taxi past us.

Had we not taken that final delay, the situation would have been only slightly more complicated, since we probably would have had to pull off and shut down on a taxiway to wait for the paramedics, but had we actually been running on time for the flight, the seizure would have hit when we were in the middle of nowhere over Montana, and it would have been at least 20 minutes before we'd have been able to get to an airport that had any kind of medical services available, so it ended up being a situation where Murphy's Law turned out to be helpful.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I flew through Heathrow yesterday. Was I flying out at a particularly busy time, or is it just hosed up in general? I think I saw six planes lined up to take off (three in front of us, our plane, and then at least two more behind us). I don't think I've seen anything like that, even at major hubs in North America.

The terminal itself was pretty easy to get through, though; I don't know why everyone was warning me about it. It would have been quick and easy if the passengers in front of me were able to read the instructions and get through a security inspection in a reasonable fashion. How the gently caress have you reached international connections in London, while apparently having no clue how airport security works?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PT6A posted:

So, I flew through Heathrow yesterday. Was I flying out at a particularly busy time, or is it just hosed up in general? I think I saw six planes lined up to take off (three in front of us, our plane, and then at least two more behind us). I don't think I've seen anything like that, even at major hubs in North America.

Six planes is a lot? I've seen lines wrap around JFK. Last time I flew out it was almost a two hour taxi and that was with nice weather!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Six planes is by no means a lot or noteworthy even at smaller class C airports at busier times.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I got a Facebook group invite today to support a Bill to "Change FAA Hiring". Figuring it had to do with 1500, I took a look, only to learn that (and I later read bits and pieces in the ATC thread) the FAA threw out CTI-trained applications and launched the "Take a Questionnaire to see if You Can Be A Controller!" survey? :wtc:

What political genius with an aim of Improving Safety In Our Skies Through Doing The Strangest Thing Possible figured THAT was a good idea? It sounds like they want to be more diverse, but just giving the finger to people who put in all that effort? :psyduck:

Pilots: You need specialized training from approved FAA programs to even THINK of sitting in a regional jet after Colgan!
ATC: You needed specialized training from approved FAA programs, but we changed our minds. Sorry!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 2, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

I got a Facebook group invite today to support a Bill to "Change FAA Hiring". Figuring it had to do with 1500, I took a look, only to learn that (and I later read bits and pieces in the ATC thread) the FAA threw out CTI-trained applications and launched the "Take a Questionnaire to see if You Can Be A Controller!" survey? :wtc:

What political genius with an aim of Improving Safety In Our Skies Through Doing The Strangest Thing Possible figured THAT was a good idea? It sounds like they want to be more diverse, but just giving the finger to people who put in all that effort? :psyduck:

Pilots: You need specialized training from approved FAA programs to even THINK of sitting in a regional jet after Colgan!
ATC: You needed specialized training from approved FAA programs, but we changed our minds. Sorry!

Yep, they made their own approved college programs redundant starting with last year's open ATC hiring announcement. The one this year that just closed was the same. The questionnaire excludes a huge number of applicants before they even get a chance to take the written/practical exam. It has excluded prior FAA Controllers from returning to the agency.

It's bad times. And those who paid money to go to ATC College are left with tossing their name into the same hat as anyone else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DNova posted:

Six planes is by no means a lot or noteworthy even at smaller class C airports at busier times.

Shows what I know! I've never seen more than a handful of planes line up, even at bigger hubs like FRA, IAH, DFW or YYZ. I think our time on the ground at Heathrow was roughly 1/4 of the flight time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

The terminal itself was pretty easy to get through, though; I don't know why everyone was warning me about it. It would have been quick and easy if the passengers in front of me were able to read the instructions and get through a security inspection in a reasonable fashion. How the gently caress have you reached international connections in London, while apparently having no clue how airport security works?

I used to love sitting there in a Diamond 20 between 5-10 majors and regionals waiting to go.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Saw 6 planes lined up for 19L just yesterday at IAD.

Also I'm laughing at the CTI-ATC university student who started giving me a holier than thou act when I told him I want to work for the airlines.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rickety Cricket posted:

Also I'm laughing at the CTI-ATC university student who started giving me a holier than thou act when I told him I want to work for the airlines.

We aren't all like that :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol I'm getting an aviation technology degree with a CTI focus

Have zero intention on using the CTI part though, just did that so I could have more freedom/flexibility on which classes I took compared to the professional pilot focus.

Good to know it's even more worthless now. :college:

edit:
also got my tailwheel endorsement today :toot:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 3, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Anyone feel like flying to LAS tonight?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they charged them all thousands of dollars in landing fees.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I was based out of Atlantic at LAS for a couple weeks they were always pretty busy but that's crazy. I doubt they charged landing fees but the fuel and ramp costs were probably pretty good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

Looking forward to future boxing related NOTAMs.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Looking forward to future boxing related NOTAMs.

If that happens it won't be for another 15 years.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
That fuel contractor is gonna be rich!

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

fordan posted:

That explains the LAS GROUND STOP ALL GENERAL AVIATION strip we got yesterday

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder if anyone asked the air force about overflow parking. :laugh:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My first trip in a jet right seat was to bring some folks into KPHX the day before the super bowl.

It was basically this.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

Shows what I know! I've never seen more than a handful of planes line up, even at bigger hubs like FRA, IAH, DFW or YYZ. I think our time on the ground at Heathrow was roughly 1/4 of the flight time.

In that case you lucky man it has been quiet when you've been through the above. Heathrow makes it obvious with only one departure runway so the queues are long and distinguished (Barcelona we also allowed 45minutes taxi time for this reason).

If you try Frankfurt when 18 is closed because of tailwind you will see gridlock as it is single runway departures. Normal queue is 5/6 aircraft per runway when it is quiet.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
Anyone have experience with glider clubs in the Chicago area? I'd be going for my glider rating (currently private ASEL). It seems like most clubs aren't really setup for instruction so it could take quite a while to earn the rating based on instructor availability. I'm also considering taking a week off to do a rating-in-a-week deal somewhere with more lift, then joining a local club to rent. Any thoughts?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

My first trip in a jet right seat was to bring some folks into KPHX the day before the super bowl.

It was basically this.

I remember the NOTAM for that day. It was basically:

-If you're VFR you're not getting into the class B.
-If you're IFR expect massive departure delays
-If you depart VFR then try to pick up IFR in the air you're going to get denied and then the controller is going to laugh at you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

-If you depart VFR then try to pick up IFR in the air you're going to get denied and then the controller is going to laugh at you.

We had a similar policy when the super bowl was in Miami. The butthurt was flowing freely.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
First (jet) solo today. A good day.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well that's a funny looking 172. Congrats man that's awesome.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rolo posted:

Well that's a funny looking 172. Congrats man that's awesome.

Can't you read the plane? That's a 152. Common mistake, they look similar.

Do they cut the back of your combat vest off to commemorate it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
No cutting, but I do get a patch, and also the benefit of not getting treated like (as much of) a scrub by all the students ahead of me.

• Locked thread