Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So I haven't played in like 2 years, anything worth coming back for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

So I haven't played in like 2 years, anything worth coming back for?

You missed the sweet spot where the game was actually good, it's back to being poo poo now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Welp

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

MikeJF posted:

You missed the sweet spot where the game was actually good, it's back to being poo poo now.

This game was never good.

The game isn't even worth my time trying to uninstall it. I might as well update and then close it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hah, more releasing old T5 T5-U for an additional cash outlay ships as "new" T6 ships for full price.

:allears:

If you still play this game please do the sensible thing and do NOT spend a single [low demonination local currency unit] on it.

If this game lasts a couple more years you're going to see T7. You all know that right.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Korgan posted:

Surprised it took them this long to take out a painless way of levelling to be honest. Grind out levels the Cryptic Approved way or gently caress off.

More leaks, more woe, more cash grabs.

welp, i am going to get that one thing for sure, i guess i should make more dil this weekend.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:laffo:

Anyone who actually thought T5 ships were ever going to be useful again is an idiot. I'm glad I've never paid for an upgrade token, at this rate we'll start seeing T6 scimitars or some poo poo in a month.

faxmachine posted:

RIP reliable alt leveling method

God, we don't want people actually playing klingons now, right? :downs:

I forget who said it in chat a few hours ago, but the fact Cryptic is still somehow finding new and exciting ways to nerf XP game is almost admirable. That takes absolute focus and devotion to making the game go down the toilet.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Asimo posted:

:laffo:

Anyone who actually thought T5 ships were ever going to be useful again is an idiot. I'm glad I've never paid for an upgrade token, at this rate we'll start seeing T6 scimitars or some poo poo in a month.

No poo poo. Ludicro, please add this to the OP, thanks.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

faxmachine posted:

RIP reliable alt leveling method

I don't understand the screenshot. Could you explain?

quote:

True enough, but one wonders how they're going to top the Iconian set/stuff in terms of effectiveness.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 2, 2015

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Korgan posted:

Surprised it took them this long to take out a painless way of levelling to be honest. Grind out levels the Cryptic Approved way or gently caress off.

More leaks, more woe, more cash grabs.

Missed a few bits, new poo poo is in bold, I suggest the richer players look at this asap.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

DancingShade posted:

Hah, more releasing old T5 T5-U for an additional cash outlay ships as "new" T6 ships for full price.

:allears:

If you still play this game please do the sensible thing and do NOT spend a single [low demonination local currency unit] on it.

If this game lasts a couple more years you're going to see T7. You all know that right.

Years? More like 6 months.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I would bet money we'll see Borg lockboxes by year's end if not sooner. That's the last huge trigger they have to pull for sales and the Cooperative poo poo makes it make a little lore sense.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
If the Borg cube turns out to be the first T7 ship I guess the game will be officially over, instead of unofficially.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
A borg lockbox would be the deathknell, but more likely they'll just keep releasing T6 variants of all the existing lockbox stuff now they've opened that door with the bug V2.

Korgan posted:

Missed a few bits, new poo poo is in bold, I suggest the richer players look at this asap.

Effort.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Also, i strongly suggest everyone convert all their dil, and all the dil they get during the bonus event, and all the dil you get going forward, into zen immediately.

220 is going to be 'the good old days.' And you can always convert it back to dil later if you need dil, except you'll get more dil.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to hit the cap of 500 just like neverwinter did.

And remained forever more.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I dunno, my Fleet Defiant T5 still holds its own.

I really want a T6 Defiant though. I would pay real money for one.

I wonder if the other T6 ships will get a remodel like the Intrepid and Galaxy.

Some ship models really need to be looked at. Especially the Sovereign, it is probably the worst one right now.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Bloodly posted:

I don't understand the screenshot. Could you explain?

Klanks had one way to level toons that didn't involve a god awful grind. Devs have fixed that bug.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Please remember to post, and to encourage others to post, /spit in official threads about unpopular decisions by craptic.

Spitting is a traditional way of showing disapproval.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

hakimashou posted:

Please remember to post, and to encourage others to post, /spit in official threads about unpopular decisions by craptic.

Spitting is a traditional way of showing disapproval.

The picture of the protester spitting on the riot cop's face shield where the spittle is in mid air seems appropriate. Wish I could find it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually Gorn uprisings still show up, just one sector over from Droz now. Just go to the Aldebaran sector.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Yeah, the missions are still around, it's just that the rewards have been drastically reduced. Not sure when the nerf is supposed to hit Holodeck but it's already on Tribble.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And by drastically, he means they now give 10% of the original xp.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

-Troika- posted:

Actually Gorn uprisings still show up, just one sector over from Droz now. Just go to the Aldebaran sector.

Come Thursday, "who cares?"

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Korgan posted:

:laffo: again.

Although without giving too much away here, I don't think that'll be quite like the JHSS. Intel seats are way more useful than command seats so the existing ship will probably be the more valuable of the two barring some other surprise.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Confronted with declining revenue, Geko is informed that PWE has turned to alternative methods for the STO dev team to make ends meet:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Geko is trying to defend it on his twitter

" What would you do as a developer?"

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 2, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Leave it as is you dumb sack of sperglord poo poo since it sure wasn't breaking anything."

It's hilarious to see something so relatively trivial blowing up in his idiotic loving face, since even the dumbest and most cheerleading pubbies are finally starting to clue in that they'll never be able to make useful alts again.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

"Assume competence" ahahaha no, Cryptic, you don't get that benefit of the doubt ever again.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Seriously, the fact the specialization system launched without any sort of throttling (like with reps and starbase projects) shows just how incompetent Cryptic is. Anyone with two firing neurons could have seen this outcome; everyone was going to flock to whatever mission or method that gave the biggest reward for the effort. And instead of actually trying to fix the blatant fundamental flaws in the design, Geko's just nerfing things over and over and over and over again without understanding why it isn't working. :hurr:

It's absolutely hilarious to watch, I just wish he wasn't in charge of a game I actually kind of like.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
talking points:

-sneering

-not the right thing to do, but it's the easy thing to do

-bad choices

-bad decisions

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Bort also tried to explain why the DOFF missions were technically broken

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23677591&postcount=96

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23677651&postcount=98

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty much 100% cryptic error there.

And I don't just mean the scaling error, which is pure cryptic in that it's sat there blatant and obvious to everyone for years without notice, giving the strong implication that none of the lead developers actually play. But also in the response. Making a quick "fix" to something that's old and established without understanding the wider metagame effects on overall advancement and rewards versus playtime, and being confused and angry that players aren't happy about these things even though it directly affects them. It's why I don't have any hesitation about calling the remaining devteam incompetent.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Asimo posted:

It's why I don't have any hesitation about calling the remaining devteam incompetent.

One should never hesitate to tell the truth :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Preechr posted:

"Assume competence" ahahaha no, Cryptic, you don't get that benefit of the doubt ever again.

Oh man, it's even better. Apparently when Heretic was still around he mentioned that the 12 hour bump was fully intentional, to promote a playstyle where people were incentivized to log into STO multiple times a day.

So he's assuming incompetence, but really he doesn't have the full picture. :ironicat:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
We have always been at war with Eastasia.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah we fixed that "bug" that totally wasn't a conscious design decision by the specific developer who made the entire system, who also publicly stated as much at the time.

But who cares anyway! Go buy the same ships you already bought at full price again!

:circlefap:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Oh man, it's even better. Apparently when Heretic was still around he mentioned that the 12 hour bump was fully intentional, to promote a playstyle where people were incentivized to log into STO multiple times a day.

So he's assuming incompetence, but really he doesn't have the full picture. :ironicat:
I forgot about this entirely.

Holy christ, the development methods at Cryptic are a clown car.

DancingShade posted:

Go buy the same ships you already bought at full price again!
Nah.

They're more expensive now. $30 instead of $25! :suicide:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Honestly I would be all for them "normalizing" xp gains if the baseline wasn't such poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yesterday I was screwing around with ship builds on my delta recruit and checking out the new Negh'Varish T6. Last year in this scenario I'd think "Why not? I haven't tossed this game a bone in a while" and grab the bundle. Now there's no way I'd spend money on this poo poo. They've basically squandered the large amount of goodwill I had for this game in a short 7 months.

• Locked thread