Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes people complain about the music too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
someday i'll be able to put my skell in a swimsuit...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand, the fact that people are complaining about such horrifically minor poo poo is a good sign that the actual game itself is good!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I just think that if you expect to get in fights, you should probably gear up like it.

Of course this involves a turtleneck sweater and a three-piece suit.

Do they even make turtlenecks and scarves for giant robots? ... They should.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SatansBestBuddy posted:

On the other hand, the fact that people are complaining about such horrifically minor poo poo is a good sign that the actual game itself is good!

I think it's more an issue that the only armor I've seen any characters in since release have been stripper uniforms. I know nothing about the plot outside of a spoiler of the ~big reveal~ and nothing about how the game actually plays.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
So how bout that release date huh? I find that a more interesting topic. Would like to actually play the game and/or bitch about how it's still too far away and how I'm too weak to avoid streams and spoilers before the game comes out.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

So how bout that release date huh? I find that a more interesting topic. Would like to actually play the game and/or bitch about how it's still too far away and how I'm too weak to avoid streams and spoilers before the game comes out.

wait till E3, bitch.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think it's more an issue that the only armor I've seen any characters in since release have been stripper uniforms. I know nothing about the plot outside of a spoiler of the ~big reveal~ and nothing about how the game actually plays.

That's just because that's the armor with the most exposition since people who like it love to post pictures of it and people who hate it also love to post pictures of it, for opposite reasons, obviously.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Pretty much this. Only equipment I've seen is just swim suit stuff, default outfits and heart glasses.

Every site outside SA is yelling the big twist that I'm almost 100% is taken out of context anyway or just posting Lyn's wardrobe (or Elma wearing the same thing). I keep hearing "I'll just put cool cyber armor on them" but I'm starting to think people are making that up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I just think that if you expect to get in fights, you should probably gear up like it.

Of course this involves a turtleneck sweater and a three-piece suit.

Do they even make turtlenecks and scarves for giant robots? ... They should.

A giant robot without a red scarf is no giant robot of mine.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A giant robot without a red scarf is no giant robot of mine.

I'll take it off your hands

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pretty much this. Only equipment I've seen is just swim suit stuff, default outfits and heart glasses.

Every site outside SA is yelling the big twist that I'm almost 100% is taken out of context anyway or just posting Lyn's wardrobe (or Elma wearing the same thing). I keep hearing "I'll just put cool cyber armor on them" but I'm starting to think people are making that up.

Yeah, because every blog site is gonna post "OMG. YOU CAN WEAR TOTALLY NORMAL ARMOUR IN A GAME" for all those sweet blog clicks that will generate. How about we trust that there will be perfectly normal stuff in the game, and for anything that goes onto the super creepy side, Nintendo is smart enough to make a call on that without a bunch of nerds screaming about it.

This argument is getting loving stupid.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What exactly are people arguing though. Like, there's one group of people saying it's actually pretty creepy that the developers decided to let the 13 year old wear the stripper clothes, and then there's the other side that's... what? Saying it isn't creepy because she can wear other things? Saying people shouldn't talk about the game, here in this thread that is devoted to talking about the game?

In any case, complaining about people complaining isn't going to get you anywhere, so maybe if you want to discuss other aspects of the game you should do that. Be the change you want to see! :)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hope this game will be good. Truly.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
These are the perils of having universal armour designs, and also having a 13 year old character as a party member.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think it would be great if they changed Lyn's face for the western release.

XBCX NA Patchnotes: Lyn replaced with Reyn. Voice actor remains unchanged.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think it would be great if they changed Lyn's face for the western release.

Yeah, they should also change Kirby's expressions on box art. Have to know your audience, right? Yeah yeah, that would definitely be the way to go.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anime Curator posted:

Yeah, they should also change Kirby's expressions on box art. Have to know your audience, right? Yeah yeah, that would definitely be the way to go.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I don't get what you are trying to say here? A nicer looking face for a teenager?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Black Mage Knight posted:

These are the perils of having universal armour designs, and also having a 13 year old character as a party member.

a 13 year old doctor thankyou.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
24 Hour Happy People

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Kazuho Hyoudou

PART.4 - "There is no reset button for real life, but it would be nice of them to at least put in save points before boss fights"

If you lose the fight, I think it would only be fair to let you keep the experience and give you another chance to challenge your fate.
The outcome of the final battle should ultimately be decided by how much you've improved...
I was questioning myself - had my preparations really been enough to stand up to the experience of the immovable champion?
In the center of the plaza that had been transformed into a Bottoming arena, Tony's New Order was squaring off against the champion's Club Man. Sitting in the front row of the spectator stands, in a small area that had been turned into something resembling box seats, I heard Tony's ragged breathing through the intercom. His stress was quite infectious. The stuff I had said to him when I saw him off had been optimistic, but it wasn't like I was entirely free of anxiety myself.

Between the spectators' savage bellows of rage, I heard the cracking sound of a buzzer.
It signaled the start of the match.
The spectators grew even louder: their roars turned into cheers that enveloped the entire arena.
But New Order didn't move.
Could it have suddenly broken down? No, the engine had sounded great just before the fight, so a breakdown was improbable. It was far more likely that Tony, not used to handling Dolls, had committed a human error.
"Tony!"
I shouted into the intercom at the top of my lungs.
With the amount of practice he had received, there was no way he had forgotten how to pilot the machine. He had probably just been hypnotized by the atmosphere.
A single beat after my angry yell, New Order finally started to move.
Unfortunately, it was clearly too late.
Demonstrating agility ill fitting its giant stature, Club Man lowered its already low center of gravity even lower and slipped right up to New Order's face. The scissor-shaped arms that had given Club Man its name moved in a fluid motion to sweep out New Order's legs.
Tony's lack of experience as a pilot was not to blame for his inability to avoid the attack. He should have executed a sudden evasive action like jumping out of the way or standing on one leg, but to pull of an acrobatic motion like those he would have needed a military-grade Doll. Criticizing pilot skill or robot specs was pointless since we had to work with what we had.
With its legs knocked out from under it, New Order lost its balance and its body started to tilt.
But as it did, one of the machine's arms moved reflexively and planted the swollen 'hand' at its tip into the ground, barely stopping the fall. It looked like an amazing maneuver, mimicking the movements of an actual person, but in reality it was nothing more than the work of an automatic balance control unit I had added. What would really demonstrate the pilot's skill was what came next - how quickly the Doll could stand up again and whether it could prepare itself for the foe's next move. Unfortunately, Tony was late once again.
Club Man raised its crouched body back up and charged.
Defenseless, New Order took the full brunt of the tackle.
It avoided getting knocked down thanks to the massive arm it had thrust deep into the ground, but its body shook violently from the intensity of the shock it had received. I heard Tony scream through the intercom.
"Tony, please hang on! Pay attention to your opponent's movements!"
Is what I told him, but even though the cockpit was open, it was also cramped and only had an extremely narrow field of vision. After getting tossed around like that, just keeping an eye on the enemy must have been nigh impossible. That was exactly why we seconds were there, but it was my first time playing that role - just as Tony's reflexes couldn't keep up with his opponent's movements, my brain had not gotten used to the speed of the sport known as the Bottoming. The result was that the best advice I could come up with was a vague "pay attention".
Since it didn't seem like a counterattack was on its way, Club Man operated both of its arms simultaneously to grapple New Order, turning the match into a test of strength - established practice at the Bottoming. The maneuver was hardly surprising, but then again, the fact that Club Man could pull off the easiest tactic so consistently must have been precisely what had allowed the champion to remain undefeated so long.

"Don't stop! You have to keep moving!"
["Keep moving- how!?"]
Tony's voice was trembling as he responded. I desperately racked my mind. What Tony needed right now wasn't engineering theory, he needed something more clear and intuitive, advice that a second in a boxing match would give.
"Just keep making small adjustments. Try to keep the enemy from getting into a position that gives him the upper hand, and if you feel at all like he's letting up, please shake him off!"
["I can't feel how much strength he's using through the Doll!"]
"Don't use your brain, use your heart! Don't panic just because you're in a tough spot!"

I remembered a line from an old movie. I had never seen it myself, but I had heard the words countless times from one of my helpful seniors. The quote continued with something to the effect of 'Keep an eye on his whole body', but that was my job, not Tony's.
Club Man had not yet established a complete hold, maybe because the invincible champion was taking things easy, or maybe because New Order followed my advice and kept stirring slightly to throw it off. No, looking closely, the arm that New Order had stabbed into the ground to avoid falling kept getting in the foe's way, making him confused about how to continue. The adjustments done to New Order by its previous owners had concentrated about half of its weight into its arms, and when thrust into the ground, the ludicrously heavy limb acted as an anchor, making the Doll unexpectedly stable.

Please hold on... You'll definitely get your chance...
I chanted in my mind as if praying.
Unfortunately, that was a mistake: I shouldn't have just chanted it in my mind, I should have told it to Tony.
The heavy breathing on the intercom turned into a shriek and New Order suddenly stopped stirring, crouching low. Then, faster than I could open my mouth in surprise, it twisted its spine and pulled out the arm stuck in the ground.
Perhaps Tony had misinterpreted Club Man's hesitation and thought it was toying with easy prey. Unable to stand the slowly creeping dread, he finally launched into a reckless counteroffensive.

"No, Tony, don't!"
He must've heard my voice, but New Order did not stop.
The robot used centrifugal force to propel its heavy arm, staggering as it tried to force its fist to connect with the opponent.
That was exactly what Club Man had been waiting for.
Even humans have trouble landing effective hits while they're being grappled, to say nothing of Dolls, to say nothing of ones driven by inexperienced pilots. Punching was a completely pointless gesture that only served to destabilize the fighter and give his opponent an advantage.
Club Man calmly let New Order overextend itself and dodged by bending backwards. The champion boldly chose not to oppose his opponent's move, tricking him into eroding his stance further.
It looked like sumo, or maybe a judo technique.
New Order's attack had relied entirely on centrifugal force and when the foe skillfully avoided it, it spun the robot's entire body around, allowing the champion to strike it down onto the ground from behind.

The champion's spectacular performance evoked applause and cheers from the audience and Club Man responded by raising both arms above its head.
New Order, lying pitifully sprawled on the ground, could do nothing but look up at it.
Eventually, the chaotic applause gained a set rhythm, demanding the champion to get on with the show. In the Bottoming, the fight wasn't over until one contestant was incapacitated - in other words, the match only ended when either a robot's engine system was completely destroyed or its pilot evacuated. On the other hand, since time never ran out and there were no judges to interrupt the match, the fighters could continue for all eternity if they wished. That's why appearing on the show known as the Bottoming required the champion to be something of an entertainer. Even though his foe was lying on the ground and his victory was assured, the champion had to keep the show going because that's what the audience demanded.

Club Man slowly brought down its raised arm, striking New Order. Cheers from the spectators surged in unison with the scissor-shaped hand slamming into the robotic body. New Order shook from the force of the blow, but the damage was negligible, just a shallow dent in its armor.
Club Man swung its arm up again and smashed it back down, stirring up the audience just like before. As if pretending to be a blacksmith, the robot repeated the monotonous process over and over. As an attack, it was completely ineffective - it seemed to simply be the performance the champion had decided to put on today. He knew that straightforward pounding like that was exactly what the people of the Hacienda wanted to see.

"Tony! Please respond! Tony!"
There was no immediate reaction to my request. The heavy arms of the toppled New Order were stretched out to its sides and the machine was completely exposed to Club Man's assault.
"Tony!"
["...Lyn..."]
Tony sounded like he had to strain himself to even make a sound. His weak voice was a mixture of regret and fear.
["Lyn... I'm sorry. You fixed the robot, but I couldn't pilot it properly..."]
"That's okay! Are you hurt? It's dangerous to leave the cockpit right now, you need to first show that you're surrendering-"
["Surrendering? Did I... lose...?"]
"I'm sorry, but I can't see you turning this around..."

Considering New Order's capabilities, there were certainly several ways to stage a comeback. However, thinking calmly about how Tony couldn't endure his foe's attacks and how recklessly he had fought just now, the only conclusion I could reach was that the match had to be stopped.
["I see. I guess this is about as much as I can take"]
"No, we were just unprepared this time. It wasn't your fault, there was nothing you could do"
["I never thought I'd hear you say something so defeatist"]
Huh? I raised my downcast face. Amid the noisy chorus of Club Man's strikes and the voices of the audience, I could hear the tone of Tony's voice suddenly undergo a surprising change.
["You told me to not give up and to cling onto life..."]
Tony was talking about the time I told him not to try to get over the family he had lost on Earth - that it was more important for him to cling onto life as hard as he could first.
I had given him such presumptuous advice back then, and now I was trying to persuade him to give up - that was indeed a contradiction.
But Tony's voice didn't sound like he was criticizing me - on the contrary, I felt like the tone that rose to its surface was self-loathing bitterness.
["It's all my fault. Goddamnit, a grown man neglects his own daughter and then can't even grant another kid's wishes..."]

By the time Tony finished speaking, something resembling a faint laughter had mixed in with his voice.
But the chuckle quickly stopped.
Silence followed.
I tried to figure out what Tony was thinking right now.
Based on the impression I got when we first met, it wouldn't have been strange if he had just admitted defeat right away and fled, so why hadn't he done that yet?
Was it because of what I said? Or was he trying to get rid of the remorse of failing to save his family by gaining atonement here?
Maybe Tony was really fighting against himself.
Maybe when he was facing off against the champion at the Bottoming, he was also facing off against the weakness he had been dragging along since the day he left Earth.
I listened to the intercom with bated breath.
The spectators were starting to get tired of the champion's tedious act, and their cheers slowly began to turn into an angry roar.
["...That's right, the secret weapon"]
"Huh...?"
All of a sudden, I heard Tony say something I wasn't expecting at all.
["New Order still has its secret weapon"]
"No, see, that's- I was just playing around, that was just to show off if you got the upper hand-"
Tony was talking about a piece of equipment I had installed at the very final stage of fixing up New Order. It was just something funny that had sprung into my mind, and when I told Tony about it I jokingly called it a 'secret weapon'.
["Lyn, this is exactly the type of situation where you pull out a secret weapon"]
"I only designed it to look flashy, I told you not to expect much from it as an actual weapon!"
["I'm going for it...!"]
"Tony!"

Club Man took notice of the rage of the spectators and finally changed its strategy, moving to deliver the final blow. It stopped pounding New Order with its arms and instead decided to sever the Doll's joints, taking aim with its scissor-shaped hand. Its previous attacks had resembled rhythmical drumming, but now in a complete reversal, Club Man stood perfectly still with its arm raised to its side, ready to lunge.
It seemed the show was heading towards its grand finale.
But at that exact moment, New Order suddenly rose back up. It lifted its massive arm overhead, and in a final act of defiance tried once again to strike Club Man.
In response, Club Man's pilot kept his cool and swiftly brought his robot's other arm up to guard against the blow.
However, Tony's attack had been just a feint.
In an instant, New Order's other arm swung straight at Club Man's head - having focused on the feint, Club Man was caught defenseless.
["Take this! Certain kill..."]
I jumped in surprise when I heard Tony shouting from the cockpit.
Certain kill? Tony, don't tell me you're about to yell out the weapon's codenam-
["RRROCKET IMMPAAAAAAACT!"]
The fist at the end of New Order's arm struck Club Man's face.
At the exact same time, the rocket fuel packed inside the fist ignited, engulfing the surrounding area in a dazzling glow.
The 'secret weapon' I had installed.
Codename: Rocket Impact.
It was hidden weapon mostly incapable of damaging a Doll - really, flashiness was its only redeeming quality - and just as planned, after a split second, it exploded.

"Man, I never thought that the punch would be the key to victory"
"'Punch'?"
"Sorry, I misspoke. The 'Rocket Impact'"
The match was over and Club Man's unmoving husk was being hauled out of the arena. I was watching the spectacle from the abandoned bleachers together with Tony.
Our last resort 'secret weapon' had brought about an unexpected reversal of fortune.
It seemed the fiery and explosive chemical reaction had triggered some sort of trauma in Club Man's champion pilot. There were loads of rumors about how he had suffered an injury in a former job as a welder or how he had been scared by a disaster movie as a small child, but it was dubious if any of them were true. Some even claimed that he had been dumped by his lover during a fireworks display. At any rate, as far as traumas go, his didn't seem very severe, as the opening created by our 'secret weapon' had only lasted for a short moment.
However, that was when something strange snapped in Tony's head and he went on a frenzied rampage, hitting Club Man over and again - fortunately not whiffing any of his blows - until finally his foe was rendered immobile. Our victory was really thanks to incredible luck; it wasn't just that we had taken advantage of a lucky opportunity, it felt more like the opportunity had decided to impose itself on us.

"But you know, a victory is a victory!"
Tony, who had once spoken with such a shaky voice, was now puffing out his chest triumphantly. I involuntarily burst into laughter.
"You've gotten cocky, Tony"
"Yeah, I guess so. Looks like I got rid of all my depression just like you told me, I feel really lighthearted"
His claim was backed up by his cheerful voice. I stared at the profile of his face.
"I think I figured out how to desperately cling onto life, too. It's all thanks to you, Lyn"
"I just did it for the meat"
Now it was Tony's turn to burst into laughter. As he flashed me a smile, I was suddenly reminded of my father, even though they looked nothing alike.

"So, what are you going to do now, champ?"
"I caught a bit too much attention, so I think I'll spend a while making money in the Bottoming in case my debtors come looking for me again. Oh, I guess I'll have to find a new second"
Tony's eyes grew slightly misty as he looked at me. I had the urge to express a similar emotion, but I didn't let it show on my face and instead responded in my most cheerful voice:
"That's right! It's about time I get going back to the base!"
"Yeah..."
An awkward silence fell upon us.
The uncomfortable atmosphere that surrounded us was the type I hated the most.
I slowly started walking to leave the arena. Backwards, so I was still facing Tony.
"Well then... take care"
"You too, Lyn... oh, that's right, Jean, the guy from the meat shop in Fisherman's Alley. I'll try to find him for you"
"Thank you very much"
I waved my hand and turned my back on Tony.
I headed into the streets of the Hacienda, an underground maze of jumbled pipes.
But at some point I had grown used to them; I could find my way wherever I had been before without getting lost.

It was the day I returned from the Hacienda.
The meat party held at the base ended up being a huge success.
Since Fake Matsusaka wasn't an ingredient you got to taste every day and the championship prize for the Bottoming was a ton of it, the final attendee headcount reached a pretty high number.
I got to cook to my heart's content and was filled with a sense of accomplishment.
I had a pretty good story about how I went accept the prize at the Hacienda and they gave me a tour of the meat synthesis factory and showed me the huge swarms of insects they were raising, but I decided to save it for another occasion.
Starting next day, I returned to my normal duties.
On the service dock reeking of oil, my days of grappling with military Dolls started up again.
I thought that the job suited me well, but at the same time I was a bit sad that I couldn't work on things like the Rocket Impact any more.
"Lyn"
I heard a voice from the feet of the Doll I had climbed on.
I looked down, and even though I hadn't been gone for that long, when I saw Elma I realized I had missed her terribly.
"Elma! I'm sorry I took so much time off"
"That's right, there's quite a lot of piled-up work, so I'll have to ask you to work overtime for a while"
"Roger! ...Oh, by the way, Elma"
"What is it?"
"Do people eat to live, or do they live to eat? I think I've figured out the answer"
"Hmm? Let's hear it"
Elma gazed up at me and I looked her in the eye as I triumphantly answered:
"Food tastes good after you work really hard. That's enough to satisfy anyone!"

THE END

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The drinking age in this XCX Universe is 11, so somehow Los Angeles became France at one point in time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Taint Reaper posted:

The drinking age in this XCX Universe is 11, so somehow Los Angeles became France at one point in time.

There's no drinking age in France, only a purchasing age (18).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kurtofan posted:

There's no drinking age in France, only a purchasing age (18).

Not new france, old france

back when the English had to force them to bathe.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looks to be about 14 years old?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol apparently there's a company that makes armor sets consisting of a helmet, one armguard, and nothing else

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anime Curator posted:

I don't get what you are trying to say here? A nicer looking face for a teenager?

I don't know, I think it's pretty obvious with the mutant looking shape, the soulless, pitch black eyes from certain angles, the creepy, doll like texture. The faces in this game are poo poo, and Lyn's is by far the most poo poo. If you don't think they should change it I don't know what to tell you, it looks terrible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motto posted:

lol apparently there's a company that makes armor sets consisting of a helmet, one armguard, and nothing else

A niche is a niche.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oxxidation posted:

A niche is a niche.

WHEN WILL JAPAN LEARN? That I love stupid stuff like this in games.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't know, I think it's pretty obvious with the mutant looking shape, the soulless, pitch black eyes from certain angles, the creepy, doll like texture. The faces in this game are poo poo, and Lyn's is by far the most poo poo. If you don't think they should change it I don't know what to tell you, it looks terrible.

Idk, I don't think Lyn looks as bad as she could due to having bangs. Elma on the other hand looks like someone put an anime cave woman in a future space suit. Most of the characters seems to be designed around having a massive forehead/brow ridge and recessed eyes and I find it pretty unappealing. Looking back at Xenogears' illustrations apparently this has always been a thing but it wasn't as jarring when it wasn't 3D? At least there's helmets.

Actually, are there any mask options? I'm thinking something like Grey Fox but just over your face so you can still see your hair. Or like a plague doctor mask or... poo poo, just an option to make everyone's faces smooth and featureless. I would prefer that, yes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vanrushal posted:

Idk, I don't think Lyn looks as bad as she could due to having bangs. Elma on the other hand looks like someone put an anime cave woman in a future space suit. Most of the characters seems to be designed around having a massive forehead/brow ridge and recessed eyes and I find it pretty unappealing. Looking back at Xenogears' illustrations apparently this has always been a thing but it wasn't as jarring when it wasn't 3D? At least there's helmets.

Actually, are there any mask options? I'm thinking something like Grey Fox but just over your face so you can still see your hair. Or like a plague doctor mask or... poo poo, just an option to make everyone's faces smooth and featureless. I would prefer that, yes.

Yeah, this is from the Battle Direct

Also in the Battle Direct I saw a mask that just covers the eyes and a mask that just covers the mouth.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Does anybody have details on how Soul Voices work? Up until now I'd had the impression that how it worked was that party members would occasionally request for you to use a certain art, and doing so would result in HP restoration, and you could kind of tweak when they would do that. But looking at this google doc (just contains a very incomplete list of Arts and Soul voices), it seems more like after achieving certain conditions in battle, you can gain a bonus by casting an art of a certain color.

Ex:
If you begin a battle with your ranged weapon equipped, a Soul Voice will be triggered that can be fulfilled by casting a yellow Art, giving it a 50% damage boost.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Motto posted:

Does anybody have details on how Soul Voices work? Up until now I'd had the impression that how it worked was that party members would occasionally request for you to use a certain art, and doing so would result in HP restoration, and you could kind of tweak when they would do that. But looking at this google doc (just contains a very incomplete list of Arts and Soul voices), it seems more like after achieving certain conditions in battle, you can gain a bonus by casting an art of a certain color.

Ex:
If you begin a battle with your ranged weapon equipped, a Soul Voice will be triggered that can be fulfilled by casting a yellow Art, giving it a 50% damage boost.

The official explanations they've given are kind of vague, but I think this is how it works:

If a party member meets one of the trigger conditions in battle, one of two things can happen:
a) If the party member is computer-controlled, they can initiate a Soul Voice and tell you to use a certain type of art. If you do, you regain HP, gain the bonus for that particular Soul Voice and gain affinity with that character.
b) If the party member is player-controlled, you start a Soul Challenge. This makes a QTE show up and if you succeed, the entire party regains HP, your Soul Stage* increases and if you hit the QTE perfectly, you also gain extra TP. After a successful Soul Challenge, the character you're controlling initiates a Soul Voice and if a computer-controlled ally fulfills it, they get the HP/buff/affinity reward.

*Higher Soul Stage increases the chance that Soul Voices appear when a trigger condition is met and gives you more TP on a perfect Soul Challenge

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

Uh they make flattering and well sized cod pieces as well. :colbert:

Also you want to see bad faces look at Xenosaga, the first one. It's probably the same guy doing the modeling.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think the article should have featured an exhaustive photoset of the sexualized 13-year-old, but it's still bad that the content is there in the game. Imagine scooping yourself a delicious dish of ice cream, but you have to be careful because there's a turd in the ice cream tub. The turd is Literal Pedophilia.

I still don't really buy that just "scribble the number 18 over the number 13" method will work, because that's not going to make her not look like a tiny baby child.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

thread redeemed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goldmine

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Taint Reaper posted:

Uh they make flattering and well sized cod pieces as well. :colbert:

Also you want to see bad faces look at Xenosaga, the first one. It's probably the same guy doing the modeling.

im really puzzled why everyone has to look mildly retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, because every blog site is gonna post "OMG. YOU CAN WEAR TOTALLY NORMAL ARMOUR IN A GAME" for all those sweet blog clicks that will generate. How about we trust that there will be perfectly normal stuff in the game, and for anything that goes onto the super creepy side, Nintendo is smart enough to make a call on that without a bunch of nerds screaming about it.

This argument is getting loving stupid.

You realize you added nothing with this and further reinforced what I said by not posting examples of actually cool armor right. The whole point I was trying to make is that people are getting mad at clickbait and saying "nuh-uh not all of it is like that." then not doing anything to really go against it.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah, this is from the Battle Direct

Also in the Battle Direct I saw a mask that just covers the eyes and a mask that just covers the mouth.

See this post? This post is showing me that there is actually armor outside her default one that isn't terrible. It's the one thing I asked.

• Locked thread