Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Intel NUC?

That looks cool, but I need something that takes at least 4 3.5" HDDs. I have them in 2x2TB LVM for redundancy. I suppose I could have a separate hdd bay for that if needed (net storage maybe? As long as the OS recognizes the lvms i think it should be simple).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a spare M-ITX box that I want to turn into a media machine for my TV. The spec is perfect for it (i3 3220T, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) I just need to decide what OS to run on it.

Requirements:
  • Must be able to run Silverlight (for Sky Go, and yes I know it's retarded but that's what they use).
  • Must be able to run Steam (mostly for in-home streaming but also want to play a Rocksmith locally).
  • Must be able to stream media from a Plex server (my media lives on my main PC).
I have a currently unused Win 7 Pro licence sitting around, is there any Linux-type thing that would work better than that? It looks like upgrading to Windows 8 would be ~£80 which doesn't seem like it would gain me much.

Edit: Worth sticking the Windows 10 Preview on it?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 2, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd run Win7 for now, then upgrade to Win10 once it's officially released, not in beta.

Edit: Paying for Win8 now is stupid as the upgrade to Win10 will be free in a few months.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'd run Win7 for now, then upgrade to Win10 once it's officially released, not in beta.

Edit: Paying for Win8 now is stupid as the upgrade to Win10 will be free in a few months.
Somehow totally missed that announcement, that sounds perfect, thanks.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Tiger.Bomb posted:

That looks cool, but I need something that takes at least 4 3.5" HDDs. I have them in 2x2TB LVM for redundancy. I suppose I could have a separate hdd bay for that if needed (net storage maybe? As long as the OS recognizes the lvms i think it should be simple).

I got a TS140 a couple months ago and I'm very happy with it. It was cheap and has plenty of room. I installed a 750ti and I can run GTA5 with no problems. My friend said I'd need to buy server ram but I just put in some I had lying around and it worked fine. It is very quiet and has no suspend or hibernate so it's always on. It can do hard drive sleep if you want as well.

E- sorry looks like TS140 has 3x 3.5in bays. The TS440 has eight if you need more

bred fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 2, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tunga posted:

Edit: Worth sticking the Windows 10 Preview on it?

Definitely skip Windows 10 for now on anything you want to just work reliably. I run it on my laptop and it's great most of the time but can be interesting sometimes. It mostly works, but the update before last literally prevented launching non-Metro programs from the start menu. They knew this before releasing it, it was one of the top items in the release notes, but they released it anyways. It was easy enough to work around (taskbar pinned apps still worked, so I actually didn't have any problem at all), but it's a perfect example of the way they're doing things during the "Preview Program" phase.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

bred posted:

I got a TS140 a couple months ago and I'm very happy with it. It was cheap and has plenty of room. I installed a 750ti and I can run GTA5 with no problems. My friend said I'd need to buy server ram but I just put in some I had lying around and it worked fine. It is very quiet and has no suspend or hibernate so it's always on. It can do hard drive sleep if you want as well.

E- sorry looks like TS140 has 3x 3.5in bays. The TS440 has eight if you need more

Actually I hosed up also. I have 3x3.5" for data and I could get an SSD for the OS, so the TS140 could work. Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Windows Media Center is officially dead.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

I guess here's hoping the HDHomerun DVR works out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wolrah posted:

Windows Media Center is officially dead.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

I guess here's hoping the HDHomerun DVR works out.

It will stil work though on 8.1 and 7, probably get guide updates for a while too.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
This, combined with the end of cablecard makes me really wonder what the end of the year will bring.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Glass of Milk posted:

This, combined with the end of cablecard makes me really wonder what the end of the year will bring.

Thanks, Obama.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's happening with cablecard?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Congress ended the CableCARD Mandate, which takes effect after December 31st. It will no longer be mandatory for cable providers to supply them.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

kode54 posted:

Congress ended the CableCARD Mandate, which takes effect after December 31st. It will no longer be mandatory for cable providers to supply them.

They're trying really hard to make everyone drop cable, aren't they?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

UndyingShadow posted:

They're trying really hard to make everyone drop cable, aren't they?

Not to defend the cable companies, but they dont give 2 shits about 650k cable card users over 10 years, hell its probably 300k if you count people who went through 2 or 3 trying to get one to work.

Cablecard users are a blip on the radar and probably the least profitable customers anyway.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Charter will probably be one of the first to discontinue renting them, even to existing customers. Why rent out CableCARDs at $2/mo a pop, when you can rent out a rather lovely DVR at $19.99/mo plus $11.99/mo for each additional DVR? That's right, they don't network, so you'll need a separate DVR for every TV you want to be able to pause. And set them to record redundantly if you want to be able to watch your recordings in more than one room. That, or set your house up to replicate the box and the remote in the other room.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
what does that mean for TiVo users?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
From my understanding, the mandate is a requirement that all set top boxes support a physical cable card (rather than built in), even regular ones provided by the cable company itself. I think cable companies are still required to allow cable card rental.

I will be sad if TV ever ends up being all streaming, since i am a weird edge case who likes saving clips from shows that i liked. As a side convenience, i never have to worry about the stuff i saved "disappearing" due to licensing.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/president-obama-signs-stelar-law-officially-kills-cablecard/2014-12-05

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The CableCard requirement was such that you could manufacture a single STB and have it work for every carrier. Instead, the increased standardization made it easier for the OEMs contracted by the cable providers to homogenize product lines reducing cost moreso than the cost of compliance and consolidated the market between the few telecoms left. This made the regulation to help increase competition only strengthen the incumbents in the ecosystem by reducing a lot of the technical barriers toward monopolies / oligopolies. SiliconDust isn't exactly making a billion dollars a year from their devices, for example, yet Motorola probably made most of the revenue in the entire industry in the end.

The inertia for STB software and hardware was simply too much for competitors to enter the market effectively. It's not like modern DVRs that cable companies produce have simple software, and that was never covered by legislation either. It'd be like hoping that Net Neutrality causes social networks to pop up that compete with Facebook and actually endanger it - it's almost impossible even with help. On top of the "broadband expansion" bills that telecoms have repeatedly pocketed funding for and made abysmal, almost purposefully sabotaged attempts to increase broadband access outside suburbs and cities, this was also a "duh, told you so" piece of legislation to me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It forced cable companies to actually make cablecards work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If Comcast decides I can't use a CableCARD anymore, they're going to lose my TV service, as well. Not a big deal, really.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

If Comcast decides I can't use a CableCARD anymore, they're going to lose my TV service, as well. Not a big deal, really.

Seriously, i just started using a hdhomerun with a cablecard. After signing a two year, $85 contact for blast Internet, digital preferred and HBO. The whole reason i did it is because i only have one outlet for cable and wanted to watch in other rooms.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There is no reason for comcast to stop offering cablecards. They just arnt required to put them in their boxes anymore.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Not as a joke, but this is literally my dad as well. He hates cable boxes with additional menus and etc. He just wants to hit channel up/down and type a number. Everything else is extras he won't touch, and doesn't want it hooked up to his TV.

He now has an AppleTV and just bought his own Netflix subscription for streaming (they were disk only), so he could actually not be bluffing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not bluffing. The only things I watch live are wrestling and college football. I'm not really sure why I'm paying for cable at all at this point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I wish Tivos could have XBMC installed, or there was tivo for pc.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

That's exactly what windows media center is

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Full Circle posted:

That's exactly what windows media center is

Well yea, but the concern is how long guide updates will last, also having multiple boxes for amazon/netflix. Tempted to grab a tivo roamio OTA, sell my htpc, and use a $100 htpc or something just for xbmc.

Of course now there is word plex is coming to tivo

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

They are supposed to be getting Plex, although it will be an Opera Store app.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Don Lapre posted:

It will stil work though on 8.1 and 7, probably get guide updates for a while too.

I'm pretty sure that the Xbox One has a built in guide doesn't it? I would hope that Microsoft just interfaced the Xbox to their existing guide updates, which would be a good thing for continuing guide service.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

This is Microsoft we are talking about, the company that abandoned MSN Music for zune and hosed everyone who bought msn music. For $299 i think ill try the tivo. Probaby sell my htpc and buy a cheaper celeron nuc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to set up a home server and don't really know software to look at. What's a good OS to use? I don't have any real experience with OSes besides just running Windows, but I really don't want/need to pay for a license when something Linux based ought to suffice.

Things I would want it to do:
- Host video files to play through XBMC on my Windows 8.1 HTPC and be ready for any other device I might decide to use in the future (Roku, Amazon Fire TV, etc).
- Run Plex to stream to my Android phone any other device I might decide to use in the future.
- Add files remotely from my desktop so I never have to hook up a monitor or keyboard.
- Host files so I can get to them wherever (ie, my comic book collection).
- Be a target for my Crashplan backups and, in turn, be able to be backed up with Crashplan to the cloud.
- (Optional) Sync with Dropbox and OneDrive.
- Be fairly easy to add or replace drives.
- Require minimal maintenance after initial setup.

Lifehacker recommended Amahi, which seems to tick all the right boxes. Not sure if there's something else I should look at.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?
I'm looking at setting up a HTPC so that I can move away from paying Comcast. I'm somewhat lost in what I should be looking for / what I should be getting. Below is the list of things I'm trying to do:
- Play shows/movies from their online stream sites (Netflix/HBO Go/etc)
- Download/store shows/movies that I acquire
- Run a Plex Server
- Simple to run and maintain
- Cheap/ish

I'm not opposed to building my own computer (IT background), but I'm not sure whats the best option for what I want to do. Most sources have sent me to building the Budget HTPC, but I'm not seeing several different sources point me to a couple of options of prebuilt HPTC. What should I do based on what I want to accomplish?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

iLurk posted:

I'm looking at setting up a HTPC so that I can move away from paying Comcast. I'm somewhat lost in what I should be looking for / what I should be getting. Below is the list of things I'm trying to do:
- Run a Plex Server
- Cheap/ish

I'm not opposed to building my own computer (IT background), but I'm not sure whats the best option for what I want to do. Most sources have sent me to building the Budget HTPC, but I'm not seeing several different sources point me to a couple of options of prebuilt HPTC. What should I do based on what I want to accomplish?

Do you already have a computer? Most of what you're looking to do can be some with a chromecast if you just run the plex server off your main pc.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?

Medullah posted:

Do you already have a computer? Most of what you're looking to do can be some with a chromecast if you just run the plex server off your main pc.

I do not. The only computers in my house are two Macbook Airs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

iLurk posted:

- Run a Plex Server
- Cheap/ish

Honestly, if you don't care about the Plex aspect, any cheap pc will work as a pitcher for Kodi. It takes nothing to do local streaming throughout your house. I have Kodi with upnp set up on an old AMD E-350 Zotac Zbox Mini that serves up all my media. That's half the speed of the current Bay Trail processors that are all the rage in tablets and tiny stick PCs. You can remote into it to add media and do maintenance.

After that point, you can get a Fire TV Stick/Fire TV/Nexus Player as a catcher. It will work way better with legit online services than anything you can hack together for a HTPC.

If you want to do a Plex server that can transcode media, you'll need a beefier computer. And you'd still probably be better off with some other device for your Netflix/HBO Go/etc.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 7, 2015

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

iLurk posted:

Below is the list of things I'm trying to do:
- Run a Plex Server
- Cheap/ish

Here's my opinion:
1) buy a firetv stick or Apple TV to care for plex/Netflix/HBO

2) for the files, run a plex server from your air

3) eventually look into a nas to store and serve media. This will allow you to build as you can afford.

I just got a think server ts140 for $200 that can hold 2 hard drives out of the box and can run plex.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The FireTV can also use XBMC/Kodi for your streaming of files, and that's become my primary Kodi machine now. You can buy it from the Amazon store for free, but you have to sideload it to make it appear. And in Kodi, you can make it launch the "Android" programs of Netflix, etc. Quit it for Amazon Prime. I don't know about HBO, as I have an AppleTV with HBO Now for that.

EDIT: This setup I use has a desktop computer as a file and SQL server for Kodi. I've never tried Plex.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 7, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Selling my HTPC if anyones interested

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718733

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Uthor posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to set up a home server and don't really know software to look at. What's a good OS to use? I don't have any real experience with OSes besides just running Windows, but I really don't want/need to pay for a license when something Linux based ought to suffice.

Things I would want it to do:
- Host video files to play through XBMC on my Windows 8.1 HTPC and be ready for any other device I might decide to use in the future (Roku, Amazon Fire TV, etc).
- Run Plex to stream to my Android phone any other device I might decide to use in the future.
- Add files remotely from my desktop so I never have to hook up a monitor or keyboard.
- Host files so I can get to them wherever (ie, my comic book collection).
- Be a target for my Crashplan backups and, in turn, be able to be backed up with Crashplan to the cloud.
- (Optional) Sync with Dropbox and OneDrive.
- Be fairly easy to add or replace drives.
- Require minimal maintenance after initial setup.

Lifehacker recommended Amahi, which seems to tick all the right boxes. Not sure if there's something else I should look at.

Check out the NAS thread.

FreeNAS and NAS4Free are the two big names for free OSes. As for hardware, I just bought a TS140 which gets recommended a lot, but it only has room for three drives.