Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
edit: Ah gently caress it, this is turning into a dumb knife derail. I don't pretend to know poo poo about knives, and I'll just look around for similar cases in Baltimore to answer my question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TGLT posted:

why do you feel that a "spring assisted knife" doesn't fall under "any knife with an automatic spring or other device for opening and/or closing the blade"? I'm legitimately curious

Basic info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted-opening_knife

quote:

An assisted-opening knife is a type of folding knife which uses an internal mechanism to finish the opening of the blade once the user has partially opened it using a flipper or thumbstud attached to the blade.

The first assisted opening knife was designed by Blackie Collins in 1995 and was named the "Strut-and-Cut"; it was based on the strut of his Ducati motorcycle. A similar concept was developed three years later by knifemaker Ken Onion with Onion's idea based on a similar mechanism in his Harley Davidson motorcycle. Onion applied for a patent on his design in 1998.

When the knife is in the closed position, the blade is held in place by means of torsion springs and an additional blade lock (optional). As the user applies manual pressure to the thumbstud to open the knife, a mechanism such as a torsion spring moves along a track in the liner and rapidly rotates the blade into the open and locked position.

Although commonly confused with switchblade knives, a switchblade can be opened automatically simply with the push of a button, but the user of an assisted-opening knife must open it about one-quarter of the way (45°) before the mechanism opens the knife the rest of the way. The difference is important legally; because the blade does not open simply "by the push of a button or by force of gravity" the assisted-opening knife is typically not considered a switchblade, and may escape the restrictions applying to those in many places.
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-240.html

quote:

How a Switchblade Works

In basic terms, a switchblade is a knife featuring a blade that springs out of the handle when a button is pressed.

The typical switchblade, which is also known as an automatic or flick knife, looks like a regular folder, rotating around a hinge. But when the knife is being closed, tension from an inner spring is put on the blade. When fully closed, the tension is separated from the knife by a button. When the button is pressed, the tension of the spring is released back onto the blade and it flicks open without any effort.

The second type of switchblade is called the OTF (out the front) switchblade because the blade comes out at the top of the handle, like a pen. The opening mechanism functions the same way; the knife engages when a button releases the tension of the spring onto the blade.
How an Assisted Opening Knife Works

An assisted opening knife, sometimes called a spring-assisted knife, is a knife that springs open only after the blade is slightly pushed open with force.

Unlike the switchblade, nothing holds down the assisted opening knife when it's in the closed position. As the user begins opening up the blade with a thumb stud or flipper lever, which has some resistance, the spring or torsion bar catches the knife and propels it open where it locks into place. For a more detailed look at how the torsion bar works in an assisted opening knife, check out this great video that dissects a Kershaw assisted opener.
How to Tell the Difference

A good indicator of whether a knife is considered a switchblade or an assisted opening knife is what the resting position of the blade is. If the blade's natural inclination is to open without the presence of a hindrance, it's a switchblade. If there is nothing blocking the blade and it stays closed, the knife is an assisted opener (assuming it has a mechanism to help open the knife).

Another way to look at it: If you are able to open the blade without exerting any effort on the actual blade, it's a switchblade. Conversely, engaging an assisted opening knife requires you to put some pressure on the actual blade, whether on the thumb stud or a rear lever connected to the blade, before the opening mechanism takes effect.

Finally, the last surefire way to tell if it's a switchblade is if it has a button that engages the knife. No assisted opening knife will have one.

Maryland apparently bans "Dangerous Weapons" and then defines a bunch of ridiculous things as "Dangerous Weapons" (nunchuks, throwing stars, "bowie" knives, but not necessarily other fixed blades? ... unless its a "dirk" (double edged).)

Some knife nut forum extracted the section: http://www.knifeup.com/maryland-knife-laws/

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Jarmak posted:

And no, not the entirety of Baltimore.
Both Baltimore City and County are identified by name as part of the Washington/Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, not particular segments of either. While you may be correct that the entirety of either would not necessarily be considered a "high crime" area, you're dead balls wrong that it's not the entirety of Baltimore that's on the Federal list.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

tsa posted:

Instead of claiming some passive voice conspiracy done of you should probably just crack open an English book.
The topic of media bias favoring law enforcement in both contextual and syntactic ways has been studied, and you should take a break and go look around.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Its not vague at all, the problem is:

It doesn't matter if the victim had a spring loaded rocket-launcher. The police are supposed to apprehend the suspect and deliver them to a holding facility so that way a court can process him when he has legal representation. You don't abuse a subject in your custody. You don't refuse to render him aid when he is unresponsive. You don't spend a week trying to get your story together to cover your rear end only to have your poo poo blown wide open.

Basically this whole thing is opening peoples eye about the sorry state of affairs to the point that even Republicans like John Boehner have to make comments about it. It's pretty phenominal when both Repubs and Dems both cant even defend abusive cops, or they can but they get rightly called retarded or crazy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

tezcat posted:

The problem is that people like yourself and the media like FOX want to talk about everything other than the fact that police tortured/abused a man till he died.

It doesn't matter if the victim had a spring loaded rocket-launcher. The police are supposed to apprehend the suspect and deliver them to a holding facility so that way a court can process him when he has legal representation. You don't abuse a subject in your custody. You don't refuse to render him aid when he is unresponsive. You don't spend a week trying to get your story together to cover your rear end only to have your poo poo blown wide open.

Basically this whole thing is opening peoples eye about the sorry state of affairs to the point that even Republicans like John Boehner have to make comments about it. It's pretty phenominal when both Repubs and Dems both cant even defend abusive cops, or they can but they get rightly called retarded or crazy.

You are aware I started this poo poo derail about knife laws, not Jarmak, right? And I started it specifically because I was concerned they'd use Baltimore's laws on knives which are not necessarily pre-empted by Maryland's laws as wiggle room

Thanks, it's helpful to have some clearer definitions of poo poo.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

TGLT posted:

You are aware I started this poo poo derail about knife laws, not Jarmak, right? And I started it specifically because I was concerned they'd use Baltimore's laws on knives which are not necessarily pre-empted by Maryland's laws as wiggle room
Made an edit for it but the rest still stands.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tezcat posted:

It does matter. Specific charges were filed, and unless they are guilty of those specific things they will get off. We are discussing whether or not they are likely to be found guilty of those specific things.

Yes, the cop who drove isn't getting off on poo poo whether or not the knife was legal. The cops who were in the van aren't getting off their charges. The cops who arrested him originally, though, for no reason? They might, or might not, depending on this very relevant part of the situation.

I feel like you're not actually paying attention and just want to get mad.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

TGLT posted:

Thanks, it's helpful to have some clearer definitions of poo poo.
If you can stomach it, you can also poke around officer dot com and other cesspits and discover how much they decide "legality" using their "guts".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FRINGE posted:

If you can stomach it, you can also poke around officer dot com and other cesspits and discover how much they decide "legality" using their "guts".
Yeah, that's exactly what my dad described about policing when he was a kid. He told me that the civil rights movement was the thing that forced police to actually know and follow the law, instead of just making an on the spot decision about whether someone needed to go to jail or not. I guess that was overly optimistic.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
http://www.statter911.com/2015/05/01/hose-slashing-suspect-charged-in-baltimore/

Cameras everywhere and social media are going to clean up both police and protesters.

All hail our new self made Panopticon.

I am glad all these people out their taped breaking and stealing things are catching charges.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

It does matter. Specific charges were filed, and unless they are guilty of those specific things they will get off. We are discussing whether or not they are likely to be found guilty of those specific things.

Yes, the cop who drove isn't getting off on poo poo whether or not the knife was legal. The cops who were in the van aren't getting off their charges. The cops who arrested him originally, though, for no reason? They might, or might not, depending on this very relevant part of the situation.

I feel like you're not actually paying attention and just want to get mad.
The point is that regardless of the speculation here, the courts will be the ones who determine if the knife falls under the guidelines set forth by their laws. Since the knife is in their possession and not planted (assuming such since officers are trustworthy in such matters) then I'm sure it will be brought up. I mean if you or anyone murdered someone and a knife may exonerate you from the fact that you murdered them by a technicality them I'm sure you will mention it and hammer it home as if your life depended on it. Cause it does.

Again it's just another way for officers to get off the charges for shaking someone till their neck breaks like shaking a baby till his neck breaks. Except a shaken baby isn't slammed against metal walls in a confined area, that's reserved for adults. So who is the person that doesn't cast a wary eye on that?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

FRINGE posted:

News flash; o.com is considered to be the stormfront of police and a reason for disicpline in many departments. Besides that, their vetting process is non-existent so the place has mostly posers anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

Pullum seems to agree that "subjected was verbed by actor" is a passive clause. He's right that it's not as simple as "Subject had verbed" but I do think that the construction does distance the actor from their action. It may not literally obfuscate who is the agent, but it does obfuscate their responsibility. Here's a Psychology Today thing discussing how passive voice causes people to judge the person doing poo poo more leniently.

You see passive voice in stories because the only sources that get used are the police. Reporters write most crime stories using only information released by the police. If you compare crime stories to real stories, you'll see a lot of police jargon in crime stories where the reporter is copy-pasting from the police news release. The public information officer will never tell you which officer shot a dude (or they'll use the mysterious bullet-from-nowhere passive voice), so you end up with passive voice in the story.

But when the police release info on a suspect, the authorities are more than happy to tell you exactly what they think happen, so you get stories where it's "Robert Smith robbed a liquor store and then pistol-whipped a baby, authorities said."

I think it generally stems from laziness/being overworked rather than intentionally covering for the police. Reporters should try to find witnesses and other sources for stories besides the police, but those things are tough to dig up and they've got 3 more stories to write today. Although, most of the police reporters and city editors I know aren't real sympathetic to defendants because they spend a lot of their time hearing from police what shitbags the defendants are.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Both Baltimore City and County are identified by name as part of the Washington/Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, not particular segments of either. While you may be correct that the entirety of either would not necessarily be considered a "high crime" area, you're dead balls wrong that it's not the entirety of Baltimore that's on the Federal list.

I'm not talking about the list, I'm talking about its applicability to Terry, which is none.

tezcat posted:

I'm sorry but are you mistaking my argument that this was a completely illegal arrest and not some sort of innocent mistake as some sort of 12 dimensional chess defense of what happened in the van?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the legality of the knife seems to deal specifically with the officers who are charged with an unlawful arrest but not the more serious manslaughter and murder charges.

Although that does lead me to ask, are all six officers going to receive one trial? That seems remarkably complicated. I've never followed a case with this many people involved. It seems like balancing all the separate charges with the jury would be a massive mess. If the defense does manage to convince them that the knife was a reasonable reason to arrest them then how do you keep that from not seeming like a victory for all the officers, even the ones who aren't charged with unlawful arrest? And vice versa, if you're unable to convince the jury that the one officer was guilt of murder how do you keep that from affecting all those lesser charges with people who had nothing to do with it?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

TGLT posted:

Active voice: The tornado killed ten people
Passive voice: Ten people were killed by the tornado.

Basically who is being placed as the subject of the sentence: the thing doing the action or the thing being acted on. It's used to minimize the agency of what ever is doing said action,

The second sentence doesn't hide the actor/agent at all, it's right there. :psyduck: I've bolded it for you. Both sentences convey precisely the same information.

Passive voice can be used to omit the actor, but you didn't.

And guess what, active voice can omit the actor too: Ten people died.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The kind of passive constructions I show my students are things like this:

AP posted:

She said his neck was broken because he was handcuffed, shackled and placed head-first into a police van, where his pleas for medical attention were repeatedly ignored as he bounced around inside a small metal compartment in the vehicle.
Five verbs in a row with no agent. Who could have done all this?

edit: I would ask my class: as the prosecutor in this case, the person whose job it is to promote them as being guilty and send them to prison, do you think she would have a reason to leave them out of this statement? Or did the journalist who paraphrased what she said take some liberties with the emphasis?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 2, 2015

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

The second sentence doesn't hide the actor/agent at all, it's right there. :psyduck: I've bolded it for you. Both sentences convey precisely the same information.

Passive voice can be used to omit the actor, but you didn't.

And guess what, active voice can omit the actor too: Ten people died.

Which is why in that example I said "minimizes agency" not "hides the actor"? Which research shows that it does exactly that? We think primarily about the subject of sentences, so pushing the actor away from being the subject diminishes the sense that the actor is responsible for the action. I don't understand your disagreement here.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

It can still be about race even if the police officer is black. It's that simple.

Only white people can see black people as bad guys, duh!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TGLT posted:

The law only talks about a spring or some other device opening it, not how it's triggered. I don't know if "commonly known as a switch-blade" somehow implies that, but it doesn't seem like it would. This article, on the second page, indicates that people are getting arrested for those sorts of knives under similarly vague laws. I don't know a lot about knives, and this is New York city, but I don't see the legal difference between this guy's knife and Freddie Gray's knife.

edit: Basically, although it's total bullshit and seems like a fairly common knife, I'm not confident they're going to actually be convicted based on that alone. It just seems like it's intentionally vague for this reason.

quote:

The same user noted that he had seen "rookies stalking the subways between 5-7pm to catch a construction worker wearing one so they could get a...Big CPW [criminal possession of a weapon] arrest."

What a joke of a law.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

What a joke of a law.

Its worse then that, the article makes it sound like its a quirk of certain folding knives, its not, I've never seen a folding knife of any type that I can't flick open like that given a couple attempts to get the angle of the snap right.

edit: its also a really stupid law in general, there's nothing more dangerous about switchblades, they're just more convenient and look cool when they snap open.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 2, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Its worse then that, the article makes it sound like its a quirk of certain folding knives, its not, I've never seen a folding knife of any type that I can't flick open like that given a couple attempts to get the angle of the snap right.

I think laws like these are intentionally vague to give police a reason to arrest someone. If the problem is knives they could have just tried to ban knives. The problem is they wanted to make a law so that they could arrest people they want to arrest (black people) without affecting the people they don't want to arrest (white people). A switch blade in the hands of a black man is clearly a dangerous weapon, in the hands of a white person it's just a tool used to open packages.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
It's so weird that they can turn anyone into a convicted criminal based on that too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

The problem is they wanted to make a law so that they could arrest people they want to arrest (black people) without affecting the people they don't want to arrest (white people).
Originally it was about poors, including other white people. The dangerous hoodlums and thugs that rode motorcycles and had greasy hair and whatever.

quote:

In 1950, an article titled The Toy That Kills appeared in the Women's Home Companion, a widely read U.S. periodical of the day. The article sparked a storm of controversy and a nationwide campaign that would eventually result in state and federal laws criminalizing the importation, sale, and possession of automatic-opening knives. In the article, author Jack Harrison Pollack assured the reader that the growing switchblade "menace" could have deadly consequence "as any crook can tell you". Pollack, a former aide to Democratic Senator Harley M. Kilgore and a ghostwriter for then-Senator Harry S Truman, had authored a series of melodramatic magazine articles calling for new laws to address a variety of social ills. In The Toy That Kills, Pollack wrote that the switchblade was "Designed for violence, deadly as a revolver - that’s the switchblade, the 'toy' youngsters all over the country are taking up as a fad. Press the button on this new version of the pocketknife and the blade darts out like a snake’s tongue. Action against this killer should be taken now". To back up his charges, Pollack quoted an unnamed juvenile court judge as saying: "It’s only a short step from carrying a switchblade to gang warfare".

The new laws treated all automatic-opening knives as a prohibited class, even knives with utility or general-purpose blades not generally used by criminals. Curiously, the sale and possession of stilettos and other 'offensive' knives with fixed or lockback blades were not prohibited.

Same reason balisongs are usually considered to be in the same category even though they are less useful than the average hunting knife. "They look scary."

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Lol gently caress anyone who doen't think the media is being manipulated massively to control the narrative. Just gently caress off and go back to sucking off the MSM.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

tsa posted:

It shouldn't really be that surprising that tiny, ethnically and racially homogeneous countries have a better track record. Problem with experts is they disagree.

There's a sentiment I hear somewhere, whenever anybody says this, let me see if I can remember what it was... Oh Yeah, they don't have those people

20% of the German population is minority/migrant/otherwise not German.
13.5% of Norway's population is minority/migrant/not native Norwegian.
15% of France's population is minority/migrant/not native French.
22% of the Netherlands' population is minority/migrant/not Dutch.
14% of England's population is minority/migrant/not English.
28% of the US Population is "Not White".

It seems that you're proceeding from a false and racist notion somebody once told you. None of those countries are remotely as homogenous, especially in their metropolitan areas, as your comparison would seem to warrant. How is it that Germany, with its almost 15% "undesirable" Turkish "gangster" population, combined with its mostly open borders to its Eastern European Gangster Neighbors, is able to fire fewer bullets at criminals in a year than US cops do in a single incident?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

My Q-Face posted:

There's a sentiment I hear somewhere, whenever anybody says this, let me see if I can remember what it was... Oh Yeah, they don't have those people

It seems that you're proceeding from a false and racist notion somebody once told you. None of those countries are remotely as homogenous, especially in their metropolitan areas, as your comparison would seem to warrant. How is it that Germany, with its almost 15% "undesirable" Turkish "gangster" population, combined with its mostly open borders to its Eastern European Gangster Neighbors, is able to fire fewer bullets at criminals in a year than US cops do in a single incident?

It might be helpful to cite where you got these statistics. The modern US census distinguishes between race and ethnicity, so you may not be counting the Hispanic population in those numbers.

Edit: A quick google search found that the white non-hispanic population was estimated at 62%, so your numbers aren't including a fairly large segment of the population that probably more accurately relates to the point you were trying to make. 38% vs 13.5% is a pretty significant difference. Not weighing in on the relevance of that for shootings, but don't overstate your case.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 2, 2015

Full-Bodied Flavor
Jan 8, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

Lol gently caress anyone who doen't think the media is being manipulated massively to control the narrative. Just gently caress off and go back to sucking off the MSM.

People can have opinions that differ to yours without being wrong. No need to insult people over valid opinions.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

Look, more really bad statistics about Europe, yes "not native Norwegian" vs "not white" is a really good way of comparing relative levels of homogeneity.

edit: top two sources of immigration for Norway: Sweden and Poland

edit2: More fun with numbers, the "Not native American" number is 99%

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 2, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jarmak posted:

Look, more really bad statistics about Europe, yes "not native Norwegian" vs "not white" is a really good way of comparing relative levels of homogeneity.

edit: top two sources of immigration for Norway: Sweden and Poland

edit2: More fun with numbers, the "Not native American" number is 99%

polish people are legit discriminated against in norway though

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
It's actually just morally wrong and totally loathsome that police are able to benefit from the same rights and privileges they work tirelessly to deny others can that please be the end of union chat

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

polish people are legit discriminated against in norway though

My point was that they wouldn't count in the "not white" category he was comparing it against, and as its biggest source of Immigration Polish ancestry is still only 1.8% of the population compared to 3.2% of the US Population

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jarmak posted:

My point was that they wouldn't count in the "not white" category he was comparing it against, and as its biggest source of Immigration Polish ancestry is still only 1.8% of the population compared to 3.2% of the US Population

i think polish/baltic people in norway are sort of in the same boat as (legal) hispanics in america, to be honest. nobody claims that they aren't white, but they still face trouble getting interviews on account of their names etc. they're also heavily concentrated in "low-status" work

e. like, sure, that use of statistics is sort of dubious, but so is the one you implicitly argued for

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

i think polish/baltic people in norway are sort of in the same boat as (legal) hispanics in america, to be honest. nobody claims that they aren't white, but they still face trouble getting interviews on account of their names etc. they're also heavily concentrated in "low-status" work

e. like, sure, that use of statistics is sort of dubious, but so is the one you implicitly argued for

That wasn't dubious that was conservative, if you compare to Hispanics it looks even more stark, Poles make up 1.8% of the Norwegian population compared to 6.5% of the US Population coming from just Mexico, and that's from census data which allowed people to identify as "American".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Foma posted:

Heien v. North Carolina

Decided December 15, 2014 HOLDING

Because Darisse’s mistake of law was reasonable, there was reasonable suspicion justifying the stop under the Fourth Amendment.

http://supremecourtreview.com/case/13-604

[The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday ruled that police officers don't necessarily violate a person's constitutional rights when they stop a car based on a mistaken understanding of the law. The ruling prompted a lone dissent from Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who warned that the court's decision could exacerbate public suspicion of police in some communities.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/15/370995815/supreme-court-rules-traffic-stop-ok-despite-misunderstanding-of-law
[/quote]

Reasonable suspicion to stop is differe.t than probable cause to arrest

That said, I'll bet it is a specific intent crime, in which case they'll need to prove the cops knew the knife was legal.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 2, 2015

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Woozy posted:

It's actually just morally wrong and totally loathsome that police are able to benefit from the same rights and privileges they work tirelessly to deny others can that please be the end of union chat

It shouldn't be because it brings to light how public sector unions are an antithesis of good government. Oh is Jonny Nightstick an abusive rear end in a top hat who should be shown the door, too bad he has a union protecting him. Oh is this the 30th abusive complaint for the officer, which puts him in #1 in all complaints, it would be great to fire him, but the union has leveraged protections that prevent that.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Actually teachers and firefighter unions are cool and good. Then again, they don't have the power to murder people and get away with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

Actually teachers and firefighter unions are cool and good. Then again, they don't have the power to murder people and get away with it.
Yeah, to me it's like "do you have the power to legally grab people off the street, go into people's houses without their permission, and otherwise gently caress with people's lives? You probably have all the power you need already".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Foma posted:

It shouldn't be because it brings to light how public sector unions are an antithesis of good government. Oh is Jonny Nightstick an abusive rear end in a top hat who should be shown the door, too bad he has a union protecting him. Oh is this the 30th abusive complaint for the officer, which puts him in #1 in all complaints, it would be great to fire him, but the union has leveraged protections that prevent that.

The thing is that it isn't that hard to fire someone in a union civil service position. It only requires that they have a hearing first. The thing preventing them is the poltical will, not the union.
You also assume they want to fire the "supercop" who busts skulls.

Government unions are potentially needed more than private sector unions. With the lack of any profit motive, there is no reason to not fire good, but unpopular employees. The unpopular employee will not be the racist, but the guy who reports the racist. Remember the union protects him too.

• Locked thread