Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Didn't someone around here actually make that chili, and it turned out to be terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Didn't someone around here actually make that chili, and it turned out to be terrible?

Wasn't me specifically, but I HAVE made that chili and yeah, it's pretty boring. It's not a bad jumping off point if you have absolutely never made chili before and want to modify it, but it's bland.

"I like it HOT!" for a teaspoon of cayenne in loving two pounds of meat, two cups of tomato sauce, and two cups of beans indeed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

E: also, I never really noticed balding J'onn J'onnz chef in the background. Goddamnit I love Kingdom Come.

That's actually a reference to the live action J'onn from the pilot to the aborted Justice League series.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Random Stranger posted:

That's actually a reference to the live action J'onn from the pilot to the aborted Justice League series.

Poor David Ogden Stiers....

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So does Superman age or not? I've seen future Superman without gray hair I'm pretty sure.

I think the general consensus with writers (that I've seen) is that Superman always ages, he just ages slower than normal humans (except for One Million where he flies into the sun and turns gold?)

But speaking of Superman, here's Superman #40. In the New 52, Superman just developed a new power that lets him basically cause a big giant explosion at the cost of leaving him powerless for 24 hours. He just tested it out for the Justice League so they could run some tests and see how powerful it is, and now they're all hanging with a very human Clark Kent.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think Matt Fraction has issues with doing signings at cons.

A few pages later during the obligatory gun fight.

Cassanova: Avaritia #2

(Fun fact: Ba drew Fraction into that role without telling him.)

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Man, that's some Aeon Flux poo poo right there.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ask some Brits what they think about our Iced Sweet Tea

MADE WITH THE MICROWAVE

It's nice when its hot outside?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

The Trial of Atomic Robo

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Post Funny P-Actually, It's All Dr Dinosaur

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Dr. Dinosaur is one of those jokes you think would get old, but somehow doesn't.

Although isn't Bernard the geology guy/God-King of the Hollow Earth? What's he doing repping Robo in court?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Although isn't Bernard the geology guy/God-King of the Hollow Earth? What's he doing repping Robo in court?

He's also the unluckiest Action Scientist on the payroll.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Move over, Dredd, Bandette is here.

Bandette #9

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

redbackground posted:

M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1

Tell me, is it wrong that I saw this picture and I immediately heard R.A.V.E from Probotector/Contra:Hard Corps?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

Is that in the annotations somewhere? I never read that before.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Rhyno posted:

Is that in the annotations somewhere? I never read that before.

I hadn't either to be fair, so I just did a bit of googling.

We may never have heard of it before because the Justice League TV series pilot was made and broadcast in 1997 while Kingdom Come was released in '96.

I suspect, therefore, that the fat, balding Jon J'onzz in Kingdom Come is a reference to a fat blading man dressing up as Martian Manhunter for a super-hero themed costume restaurant. Sorry, Random Stranger.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Maaaan, I was at my local comic store Friday. They were having a 5 comics for 10 dollars thing. I normally dont buy single issues, only trade backs. I hate keeping up with them. Buuuuut, they had all 4 issues of Squirrel Girl there, so I grabbed them.

Then, I went over to my 10 year old uhhh Whatever you call the daughter of the son of my great-aunt :v:
I was intending to read those myself, but I ended up giving them to her. She seemed to like them.

I figure you could do faaar worse than Squirrel girl.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She's your 2nd cousin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KayTee posted:

I hadn't either to be fair, so I just did a bit of googling.

We may never have heard of it before because the Justice League TV series pilot was made and broadcast in 1997 while Kingdom Come was released in '96.

I suspect, therefore, that the fat, balding Jon J'onzz in Kingdom Come is a reference to a fat blading man dressing up as Martian Manhunter for a super-hero themed costume restaurant. Sorry, Random Stranger.

I knew the release dates so I kind of thought maybe it wasn't a thing but who knows, Alex Ross might have been invited to the set one day.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rhyno posted:

I knew the release dates so I kind of thought maybe it wasn't a thing but who knows, Alex Ross might have been invited to the set one day.

And his reaction was likely "...no, no. Just....no..."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And his reaction was likely "...no, no. Just....no..."

I don't see a mention of it in either Absolute KC or the Comicology book.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

No idea what this is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KayTee posted:

Darn it, he really does look a lot like M*A*S*H era David Odgen Stiers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Say Nothing posted:

No idea what this is.

So, that's how Superior Spiderman got Daredevil to stop questioning him after the Stilt man fight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Darn it, he really does look a lot like M*A*S*H era David Odgen Stiers.

And JLA-era David Ogden Stiers looks nothing liek MASH era David Ogden Stiers. (Looks a lot like Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place Ogden Stiers, though)

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Say Nothing posted:

No idea what this is.

That's gotta be Spidey Super Stories, right?

Although the "Ha Ha It's too easy" seems a little mean spirited for that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Mentalizer posted:

That's gotta be Spidey Super Stories, right?

Although the "Ha Ha It's too easy" seems a little mean spirited for that.
It's an edit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did anyone honestly think it wasn't? Even for Spidey Super Stories that would have been too much.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Did anyone honestly think it wasn't?
It would appear that at least two people thought it real.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Did anyone honestly think it wasn't? Even for Spidey Super Stories that would have been too much.

Clearly it was from Spidey Superior Stories.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

Clearly it was from Spidey Superior Stories.

I never knew I wanted this.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah in case people haven't noticed with the exception of the odd golden age comic 99% of those wacky out of context images are bad edits.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sonic still banned? Sonic Boom comic seems to have its moments.
I think Sticks' tinfoil-hat insanity is funny anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Sonic banned so much as "Stop posting 10 pages of Sonic that's not actually funny"?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, I don't think Sonic was banned, and if they are any good, just post 'em.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

I think it tries too hard, but hey, it's an all ages comic, if the kids like it I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, I don't think Sonic was banned, and if they are any good, just post 'em.

I think the point was someone was just doing an image dump from some Tumblr of "funny" Sonic panels and they (the panels) loving sucked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

I think the point was someone was just doing an image dump from some Tumblr of "funny" Sonic panels and they (the panels) loving sucked.

Most of the Sonic comics are actually really terrible. The last couple of years it's been trying to tap into the wellspring of awesome that Mega Man has and it's failing miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

I think it's more "please don't or else the chat will explode into a 10 page tangent completely unrelated to the panel."
Same thing for the MLP comic. They might have funny parts, but they have a rather negative effect on the discussion.