Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Pax Porfiriana collector's edition is coming out this year buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Perhaps they'll make the cards not look like rear end

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The second game I've been looking for that is out of print. Love your taste. Hate your guts.

If you stumble across a second copy of either, let me know.

As below, Pax should be easy to get soon. Glen More.. I can see why it's not reprinted, it doesn't look exciting and it sits in a weird spot where it's not a 'heavy' (e.g. Agricola) Euro and it's not an intro game, it's just a really solid lighter game for people who already know and like euro resource games. Probably a hard sell. I'd be surprised if I see another copy, this is the first I'd even heard of the game here outside of vague mentions on BGG.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Pax Porfiriana collector's edition is coming out this year buddy

Pre-orders are open for a bunch of Eklund games including Porfiriana: http://www.sierra-madre-games.eu/

StashAugustine posted:

Phil has said there's only minor changes, so nope.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Woah woah, let's not talk crazy here.

Sez Eklund:

quote:

The cards are pretty much the same as in the first edition Pax Porfiriana. However, minor changes have been made to a dozen cards. Some to clarify wording on abilities, others to clarify wording on the historical text. No gameplay impact.

The big changes will be a new, bigger box, a game board, and a new (probably equally poo poo) rulebook, full of Eklund's overbearing objectivist opinions.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Pax is one of the few games where I genuinely appreciate the overload of flavour text and illustration, probably because it's not just another description of rampaging orcs or something.

I really hope the new rule book is less terrible though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Radioactive Toy posted:

Quick Falling 2014 question for anyone who may have played it. We played our first few games at work today and one of them seemed to end up in a weird situation where at the very beginning the 3 fallers picked up an Extra, Extra, and Move with no riders out on the table. It seemed like in this case nothing could possibly happen until I get to the bottom of the deck and the grounds start coming out. Is this correct or did I miss a rule somewhere?

(Has anyone but BL played this game???)

Yeah, don't pick up Move or Extra unless you have an immediate use for it. Typical mistake. Extra especially isn't something you touch without a purpose.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Avalon's getting stale for my 5-6 player group, so we're trying out a variant that hasn't broken the game yet.

Each player starts with 2 cash dollars, and as long as you aren't the current team maker you can bribe him a money to make your vote worth double (once per vote). If you're on a mission and not the team captain, you can pay him 3 money to reverse the result after everyone's Success/fail cards are chosen but before reveal.

There's a lot of new plays, Merlin doubles a No on a mission to give a good guy captain money, a mission fails with all successes, you dont put yourself on a mission so someone with money can reverse, the yomi goes to layer 8 at least...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The End posted:

Imperial Settlers is very pretty though.

That hit the table on Tuesday. I said I didn't want to play because Egypt always wins and Japan always comes last, and I had to teach Evolution anyway, but they were all "Oh no, not necessarily" as per usual. I went over as they were packing up and asked how much Egypt won by. "Ten." "And did Japan come last?" "Yes, by 30." It really is irredeemably broken.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Reading about Panamax is kind of inspiring me to play a train game that focuses more on the logistics of running trains and less on the logistics of owning them. Are there any good train games that focus more on cargo prices than stock prices?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

PerniciousKnid posted:

Reading about Panamax is kind of inspiring me to play a train game that focuses more on the logistics of running trains and less on the logistics of owning them. Are there any good train games that focus more on cargo prices than stock prices?

If you can find it, Container is a game about setting prices to hell and back.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I regret taking the advice of whoever said to just play Game of Thrones with 6 new people. I can't wrap my head around this rulebook. Probably gonna just play Resistance and 7 Wonders.

I do want to play Game of Thrones some day. What's a good progression of board games to get a group to eventually play it?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, don't pick up Move or Extra unless you have an immediate use for it. Typical mistake. Extra especially isn't something you touch without a purpose.

Makes sense, thank you! Seems like a fun little game but a few people I played with at work weren't a huge fan of the frantic pace.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

signalnoise posted:

I regret taking the advice of whoever said to just play Game of Thrones with 6 new people. I can't wrap my head around this rulebook. Probably gonna just play Resistance and 7 Wonders.

I do want to play Game of Thrones some day. What's a good progression of board games to get a group to eventually play it?

Game of Thrones really needs people who are interested in the game and want to be there. Without that, it's an incredibly boring and unbalanced slog as people don't hold each other in check properly.

It's not a particularly advanced game, but it does involve resource management and area control. Maybe try Kemet? It's simpler and has a smaller player count. Problem is, it's also a hell of a lot better...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Dirk the Average posted:

Game of Thrones really needs people who are interested in the game and want to be there. Without that, it's an incredibly boring and unbalanced slog as people don't hold each other in check properly.

It's not a particularly advanced game, but it does involve resource management and area control. Maybe try Kemet? It's simpler and has a smaller player count. Problem is, it's also a hell of a lot better...

Have people study the rules (not using the rulebook) ahead of time, maybe link them to some light strategy for their assigned houses. Also print out aids for House cards and a cheat sheet to reduce rule clarification. Be a stern gamemaster by making sure the game keeps moving; it drags very easily.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

I'll try Kemet

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The worst submarine posted:

Avalon's getting stale for my 5-6 player group, so we're trying out a variant that hasn't broken the game yet.

Just switch over to Resistance + Hostile Intent + Hidden Agenda. You'll have variants and characters for ages to come.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Makes sense, thank you! Seems like a fun little game but a few people I played with at work weren't a huge fan of the frantic pace.

To answer your other question, I can think of other people here who HAVE played Falling (either edition), but naturally that's because I personally played it with all of them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

PerniciousKnid posted:

Age of Steam/Steam could work. Not huge on cargo pricing but there's no stock prices. Spike's been fun, again not pricing per se.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Trynant posted:

If you can find it, Container is a game about setting prices to hell and back.

Container is one of those weird games with a closed economy. Money can leave the game, but there is no influx; all "income" is obtained from other players.

It is seriously an amazing game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lorini posted:

Age of Steam/Steam could work. Not huge on cargo pricing but there's no stock prices. Spike's been fun, again not pricing per se.
Is there any reason to play one over the other?

OmegaGoo posted:

Container is one of those weird games with a closed economy. Money can leave the game, but there is no influx; all "income" is obtained from other players.

Yeah, maybe I should pay Container with some model trains standing in for the board.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

signalnoise posted:

The rules of GoT are fairly simple, if not well explained. It does have too many special cases. Maybe try watching the rules videos from the website before you give up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OmegaGoo posted:

Jesus christ we crashed the economy so bad so half of us couldn't buy anything, and one person literally went broke due to a mistake.

It was a Good Game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Age of Steam is the more complex kind of weird one, Steam is a smoother experience. However, Age of Steam almost certainly has more fans and is a lot older.

I am selling a copy of Container with the expansion on BGG. https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/730825

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Update to the B&N sale, I was able to snag a copy of Descent 2.0 today for $20. I'm not sure where it was hiding, but I called the store and they found and reserved it for me. Thanks for the tip.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Broken Loose posted:

Just switch over to Resistance + Hostile Intent + Hidden Agenda. You'll have variants and characters for ages to come.

Are most copies of the expansions available at CSI or whatever the misprinted ones that need sleeving, or was that only kickstarter backers?

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

OmegaGoo posted:

Wait, the influx of money is like the most important part (for the overall game economy). The only way new money enters the game is through a successful 2-player auction transaction: the buyer pays her bid to the seller, and the seller gets the same amount from the bank. The only ways money leaves the economy is through interest payments and if a seller refuses all offers (and pays the highest offer to the bank herself).

Also that game needs a PnP version or something. Isn't it basically a cardboard version of abandonware (or legal limbo-ware) at this point?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Radioactive Toy posted:

Quick Falling 2014 question for anyone who may have played it.

I have both editions but like has already been mentioned, if that happened the players kinda hooped themselves. Wait 60 seconds and try again :whip:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Are most copies of the expansions available at CSI or whatever the misprinted ones that need sleeving, or was that only kickstarter backers?

No clue and BGG isn't helping. Get sleeves anyway; it'll make your game last longer.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have both editions but like has already been mentioned, if that happened the players kinda hooped themselves. Wait 60 seconds and try again :whip:

Yeah, it's Falling. Worst case scenario, they die in a minute.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I have still had no luck finding this game (Falling) anywhere in the UK. Any suggestions?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I played my first game of Kemet yesterday and I really enjoyed it from the very first turn. How does it hold up after many plays? Without any randomness to the board or the available powers, do you end up seeing the same few strategies and moves every time? Does it stay interesting?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Just came back from trying Kemet, myself. It was fun, but we were a bit weary about attacking in the beginning, even though I mentioned that the game favours offense. A lot of fun.

Is there any point in starting 1-1-1 with pyramids instead of 2-1-0?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lordsummerisle posted:

Just came back from trying Kemet, myself. It was fun, but we were a bit weary about attacking in the beginning, even though I mentioned that the game favours offense. A lot of fun.

Flexibility. It's not a bad strategy if you want to buy the cheap attacking cards plus Open Gates with an eye to steal someone else's level 4 pyramid, or if you're going last in a five player game and don't want to commit to one plan. On the other hand, there are at least two good plans in each colour so I'd never do anything other than 2-1-0 myself.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I've been looking for games to pick up for my group. From researching I have found some that look good to me and I was wondering if you had anything bad to say about Brass, Concordia or Panamax.

To expand the groups collection to war games I've also looked at 1775: Rebellion, but it is a bit hard to come by, like multiplayer war games in general.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wooper posted:

I've been looking for games to pick up for my group. From researching I have found some that look good to me and I was wondering if you had anything bad to say about Brass, Concordia or Panamax.

To expand the groups collection to war games I've also looked at 1775: Rebellion, but it is a bit hard to come by, like multiplayer war games in general.

Sure you don't want something with titty minis and lots of D6s?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think Panamax has me covered on the second part. Do you have any recommendations for the first?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I just got back from a friend's birthday party. He has, at times, questionable taste in games, but about half of his collection is acceptable. There were about 6 of us looking to play a game, so he decided to grab a few more people from the party and bust out his personal favorite, Duel of Ages 2. Neither my GF or I had ever played or heard of this game, so we both agreed to give it a shot.

I'm still trying to decide of this game is the worst dumpsterfire ever printed on cardboard, or some elaborate hoax/ruse that is the most convincing satire ever (to the point where people on BGG legitimately discuss things such as rules questions and game cards, all of them in on the same joke to confuse people like me). There are few games that I actively hate, and fewer still that I consider to be worse than Munchkin, however Duel of Ages 2 made me want to kill myself in ways that I had never imagined.

Normally I'd describe a bit of the game and my experience, but instead I'll just say avoid this game at all costs. There is no enjoyment to be had by any sane person, and I am now convinced that my friend has no ability to discern bad games from good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I had a good time with my board game night tonight. Started off with Ascension, then played Monikers, and ended up with Toc Toc Woodsman. It got more fun as the night went along for sure. Toc Toc Woodsman is a hell of a dexterity game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ascension is a game that I always enjoy playing. I don't know why this is because it very much is a bad game that's playing you more than it is being played by you. All of my friends know that I'm obsessed with trying to assemble mechana combos, which never work for me. Today I decided to play a less stupid style and actually craft a strategy based on what's on the board. This led to one of my friends assembling some monstrous mechana construct machine just by sheer luck. Admittedly, "get lucky" is the dominant strategy.

I also played Viticulture (5p) and introduced my friends to Troyes (4p). It was everyone's first time playing Viticulture so it ended up taking us around 3 hours from box open to finish. Now that I think about it, I should have given the owner more poo poo about it since it's the same guy who dropped Terra Mystica on us without knowing the rules. I don't think he actually expected to play it tonight, though. It claims 45-90 minutes, which I can see given that the game isn't very complicated. There is a definite flow from the early to the end game that requires at least one play to see. I didn't exactly know how much money was worth with regards to accomplishing my goals until the game was well underway, at which point I realized that the utility of money largely declines as the game progresses and you have your workers and buildings acquired. It was pretty chill and I would definitely play it again.

My friends also enjoyed Troyes. It was definitely not chill, though. It was petty and vicious and I'd never seen my friends get as mad at each other as they did when they were buying each others' dice and kicking people out of buildings. Most of my Troyes experience was on BGA so I hadn't anticipated the raw emotional impact of people having they plans ruined on the regular.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lordsummerisle posted:

First round buy, in order, Priestess, then the red and blue power tiles that give +1 power when attacking and defending respectively and you now have a permanent +1 to all your combats for the rest of the game along with discounted power tiles. It's an opening that's done pretty well for me the couple of times I used it though I've yet to, y'know, win so maybe it's not that great an idea.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you are playing Kemet with more than three players and anyone is allowed to get a +1 attack and a +1 defense then everyone else at the table deserves to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The games I've played so far, most people seem to go for 2-1-0 setups so they can beeline for upper tier power tiles of some sort, while the level 1 stuff tends to be overlooked, at least the red and blue stuff does. Conversely level 1 white power tiles are generally gone before the end of the first day.