Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nick Hewer's been replaced on the Apprentice with Claude Littner

Burn it to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Does it actually matter who's the sidekick feeding scripted prompts to the host on the Generation Game?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Mickolution posted:

Strange Inside No 9 tonight, not sure if I liked it or not.

I did, but it was different to the others.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Rarity posted:

Nick Hewer's been replaced on the Apprentice with Claude Littner

Burn it to the ground.

Awful decision imo, Claude is best ripping people apart in the interview, the whole point of monitoring is to be a hiddenfigure making notes and the occasional side comment. Claudes too much of a beast for that.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Nick couldn't bear to be away from Countdown where he can stare at Rachel Riley all day long.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
No. 9 was a okay but the little kid jumping at the camera at the end just made me laugh.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Judge Tesla posted:

Nick couldn't bear to be away from Countdown where he can stare at Rachel Riley all day long.

Tbf that's a hell of a job perk.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RedLobster posted:

No. 9 was a okay but the little kid jumping at the camera at the end just made me laugh.

I mean, that was the punchline.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Judge Tesla posted:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Big Taff Man posted:

Awful decision imo, Claude is best ripping people apart in the interview, the whole point of monitoring is to be a hiddenfigure making notes and the occasional side comment. Claudes too much of a beast for that.

I'll give him a shot before I assume he's be bad. I can see him staying silent for a whole episode, then tearing into everyone in the boardroom. Which could easily overshadow Sugar.

Then again, Sugar is pretty much the worst thing in the show. I'd say replace him, but I can't think of any failed, bored businessmen that people think of as credible (for some reason).

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

The Big Taff Man posted:

Who cares, the Apprentice is loving terrible.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Steve2911 posted:

I'll give him a shot before I assume he's be bad. I can see him staying silent for a whole episode, then tearing into everyone in the boardroom. Which could easily overshadow Sugar.

Then again, Sugar is pretty much the worst thing in the show. I'd say replace him, but I can't think of any failed, bored businessmen that people think of as credible (for some reason).

Richard Branson, of picking up women fame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Beens posted:

Who cares, the Apprentice is loving terrible.

Enjoyed the first season or two of the U.S. one in spite of the Donald, but holy crap I couldn't even finish an episode of the British one. The extra 15 minutes just dragged it out way too much.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I watched that Nick Hewer & Margaret Mountford bit on the British rail system. It seemed like sterling stuff until the end, because everything they presented seemed to suggest that the current system is absolutely horrendous, that the taxpayer is paying for the system anyway, and that a central, unitary authority would help out a lot, but both of them still shied away from even saying "re-nationalization isn't the worst option out there" despite all that.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
How is the 4oD player so bad :psyduck: I wouldn't mind them forcing ads on me if the player actually worked reliably without constantly loving up (and of course, the ads always work fine)

I understand why people torrent stuff, when it's actually quicker and easier then using their lovely player.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spalec posted:

How is the 4oD player so bad :psyduck: I wouldn't mind them forcing ads on me if the player actually worked reliably without constantly loving up (and of course, the ads always work fine)

I understand why people torrent stuff, when it's actually quicker and easier then using their lovely player.

Tip I got from this thread - let the pre-program ads play, then turn your blocker back on once the program starts up.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Has the change to all4 improved things or is that just a rebranding?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Death Zebra posted:

Has the change to all4 improved things or is that just a rebranding?

Just a rebranding. Exactly the same player.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Wont work at all on my ipad now, it wont let me just use the website anymore, insists on making me download the loving app which wont install cos my its an old ipad that cant have the os upgraded.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Two new series of Red Dwarf start recording in October, 12 episodes in total
http://llewblog.squarespace.com/red-dwarf/2015/5/2/red-dwarf-series-xi-and-xii-announced.html

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
god dammit just let it die already.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I saw some recently when I was staying at my dads and somehow everyone was alive again but the boys were in prison on Red Dwarf for something and it was quite funny I thought. Silly space porridge sort of.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It feels terribly elitist of me to say, but I don't believe they made any more episodes of Red Dwarf after Series 2 ended and Norman Lovett left.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Seaside Loafer posted:

I saw some recently when I was staying at my dads and somehow everyone was alive again but the boys were in prison on Red Dwarf for something and it was quite funny I thought. Silly space porridge sort of.

It's probably :thejoke:, but those are not recent episodes.

I might be in the minority here, but even though Back to Earth was utter tosh, I enjoyed Red Dwarf X overall. Granted, it's a bit jarring to see a man in his late forties still acting like an adolescent punk.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Dead Goon posted:

It feels terribly elitist of me to say, but I don't believe they made any more episodes of Red Dwarf after Series 2 ended and Norman Lovett left.

Youre missing all the best episodes there?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The Big Taff Man posted:

Youre missing all the best episodes there?

Some good episodes maybe, but all? The quality really dropped off for me after Series 2 into constant Space Core Directive and Look How Dumb Holly Is gags.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Dead Goon posted:

Some good episodes maybe, but all? The quality really dropped off for me after Series 2 into constant Space Core Directive and Look How Dumb Holly Is gags.

Backwards, Polymorph, Dimension Jump, Quarentine, Back to Reality, Gunmen, Polymorph 2, and I cant be bothered to keep going

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
red dwarf fans think the word 'smeg' is inherently funny so

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The Big Taff Man posted:

Backwards, Polymorph, Dimension Jump, Quarentine, Back to Reality, Gunmen, Polymorph 2, and I cant be bothered to keep going

Fair enough, I don't like some stuff you do :shrug:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Series 1 & 2 of Red Dwarf are an almost completely different show from the rest, so I can see how someone would like them and not the later stuff.

Series 10 wasn't consistently good, but it was a huge step up in quality from the drek that was series 8. I hope they bring back Holly in some capacity, the show's just not the same without him/her.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It's probably :thejoke:, but those are not recent episodes.

I might be in the minority here, but even though Back to Earth was utter tosh, I enjoyed Red Dwarf X overall. Granted, it's a bit jarring to see a man in his late forties still acting like an adolescent punk.
Oh christ, just looked that one up 1999 you have to be kidding me! No sorry it wasnt a joke id just never seen them and assumed they were new ones. Christ thats makes me feel old. I will give 10 a try then based on what people have said. And yes agreed 1&2 were the best by miles and oh alright some of 3 was good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr Phillby posted:

Series 1 & 2 of Red Dwarf are an almost completely different show from the rest, so I can see how someone would like them and not the later stuff.

While I'd seen and enjoyed random bits of pieces of Red Dwarf growing up I didn't really get in to it until the later seasons, so I actually liked 6, 7 and 8. I especially loved Bob the Scutter acting as the shopkeeper or whatever you'd call the guy in a jail who can get you things along with Rimmer kicking death in the nuts and running instead of dying a more dignified death. The earlier seasons are very different though yea, and seem to have a more serialized format going because the first two seasons set up the idea that Lister is going to have his two kids with Kirchansky for instance, while the later seasons just kind of wing it, at times seemingly episode by episode. It's a shame that Grant and Naylor broke up as a writing team after that, because I'd love to have seen what they originally planned to do with the show given that they seemed to have an actual plan for what to do over several seasons.

That said, the single best moment in Red Dwarf to me is when the crew go to send Ace's holobeam to it's designated grave after Rimmer becomes the new Ace. Red Dwarf didn't really try to pluck at the heart strings much, but that moment when the camera pulls back and you see billions, if not trillions of holo projector beams encircling the planet to form a ring is amazing. It's probably one of my favorite moments in television full stop, partly because it's so unexpected given that Red Dwarf doesn't do that kind of stuff much and partly because I love legacy heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUmB0sUUSk

Ace is pretty fantastic whenever he appears at all really, but his first fight scene with the alligator parachute and all the Nazi's going "what a guy", comedy gold. Chris Barrie must have loved those scenes, especially in contrast to the kind of cowards or assholes he normally got to play in stuff like the Brittas Empire.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 2, 2015

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ofaloaf posted:

I watched that Nick Hewer & Margaret Mountford bit on the British rail system. It seemed like sterling stuff until the end, because everything they presented seemed to suggest that the current system is absolutely horrendous, that the taxpayer is paying for the system anyway, and that a central, unitary authority would help out a lot, but both of them still shied away from even saying "re-nationalization isn't the worst option out there" despite all that.

Maybe they can remember the days of British Rail?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I remember absolutely loving the Red Dwarf books as a teenager, but no idea how they'd hold up now

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Stumiester posted:

I remember absolutely loving the Red Dwarf books as a teenager, but no idea how they'd hold up now
They were pretty well done iirc, did the origin story and had an ending.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Favourite Red Dwarf moment ever? I'm going with Holly's April Fools joke.

I don't think Norman Lovett wants to return to that role, but I'd definitely like to see Holly return again in some form. Just grab someone who has a very dry delivery and has an accent from somewhere above the Watford Gap and you're sorted.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Diane Morgan, then?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One Swell Foop posted:

Diane Morgan, then?

I'd watch that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thats bang on actually. Good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Stumiester posted:

The first two are pretty drat good, then what happens next are nothing so much as a demonstration of why Rob and Doug started writing things together.