Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

enojy posted:

There's an indoor kart racing place nearby that has 45MPH karts. I had to go through a 2-day training course just to get a license that allows me to drive without the speed governor. 45MPH in a go kart on a little babby go kart track is FAST and fun as poo poo. If it wasn't $30 for 3 races, I'd probably go there every day. Better than autocross in your own car, if only for the air conditioning and lesser wait times.

Yeah, there's an indoor place near me that has 50 MPH karts and it's incredible. They control the governors remotely and if your group can do the first few laps without any black flags they'll remove the governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Why the hell would people whine about karts being in a serious simulator? Almost everyone who races professionally has been a kart racer at one point, especially open wheel drivers. It would be weird if they WEREN'T in the game.

Plus karts are fun as poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cat doter posted:

Why the hell would people whine about karts being in a serious simulator? Almost everyone who races professionally has been a kart racer at one point, especially open wheel drivers. It would be weird if they WEREN'T in the game.

Plus karts are fun as poo poo.

The racing sim community doesn't know anything at all about real world racing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Best thing is seeing the armchair racers claiming/whining that a simulator drives "like on rails", while the same time real race drivers are saying the cars don't grip enough.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

enojy posted:

There's an indoor kart racing place nearby that has 45MPH karts. I had to go through a 2-day training course just to get a license that allows me to drive without the speed governor. 45MPH in a go kart on a little babby go kart track is FAST and fun as poo poo. If it wasn't $30 for 3 races, I'd probably go there every day. Better than autocross in your own car, if only for the air conditioning and lesser wait times.

There are places all over that have "40+mph" karts and you walk in and watch a five minute safety video and have at it. 2-day training...?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was someone in the PS4 thread claiming that any car period that made contact with grass should be flying off the track and exploding. Never mind that rally racing exists. PCARS has pretty accurate off track contact, something a lot of racing sims get very wrong in order to compensate for the lack of rule enforcement because that is hard to do in racing games.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

don't forget the guy in there claiming that going onto the grass has no adverse effect too because he'd seen some races where cars went into the grass and seemingly didn't lose traction

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

baram. posted:

don't forget the guy in there claiming that going onto the grass has no adverse effect too because he'd seen some races where cars went into the grass and seemingly didn't lose traction

That's not what was said. The argument was that any contact with any bit of grass period should cause complete and total loss of control with any car ever. That is a gigantic exaggeration but it was an argument made anyways in complete seriousness. The truth is race cars can handle that stuff pretty well, and probably 99% of the time loss of control never happens off track, but happens well before a race car ever gets to that point.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That's not what was said. The argument was that any contact with any bit of grass period should cause complete and total loss of control with any car ever. That is a gigantic exaggeration but it was an argument made anyways in complete seriousness. The truth is race cars can handle that stuff pretty well, and probably 99% of the time loss of control never happens off track, but happens well before a race car ever gets to that point.

these people have literally never even watched a real race and are dying for their race simulator to be GRID apparently

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did the Wii U version disappear? I just realized I don't see it anywhere for pre-order.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think at some point it was decided to drop it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think at some point it was decided to drop it.

I was actually legit interested in buying that version. Ooh well, no big deal really.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, IIRC, there was some stuff about targeting it holding the project back. Same reason why the Xbox360 and PS3 versions were ditched. They held onto the Wii U version for a while longer, until the community mucked up about it and it was ditched, too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, IIRC, there was some stuff about targeting it holding the project back. Same reason why the Xbox360 and PS3 versions were ditched. They held onto the Wii U version for a while longer, until the community mucked up about it and it was ditched, too.

Still listed as of today.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

they've still got the case art in a two day old post

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/try-project-cars-at-your-local-game-store

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Combat Pretzel posted:

As far as I heard the last thing that was said about it was they want to nail the bone, PC and PS4 versions before working on the wii U version, I'd imagine such a port would be an all programmers on deck type deal. I haven't heard anything about it being canceled.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ah well, my mistake then. Either way. the Wii U is just barely above the level of last generation's consoles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah well, my mistake then. Either way. the Wii U is just barely above the level of last generation's consoles.

It's 2GB of RAM help it a lot, but it for sure won't be doing anything that resembles what you can see on even the Xbox One.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey I'm cancelling our German GP 25 laps around Nordsleife. Turns out you are getting the game on ps4 and I play on PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey I'm cancelling our German GP 25 laps around Nordsleife. Turns out you are getting the game on ps4 and I play on PC.

I'm gonna have both! :D But I need to fix some issues i'm having with the PC version first. :qq:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Okay well if you fix it then we can do it. I'll be waiting.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So is there going to be a new build for members, or is may 7 just a thursday to you?

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I think we all already got pushed the last files yesterday but I believe we have the gold version plus the day one patch already.

Edit - "Build 998 (01/05/15) - This time the "ACTUAL" Last GBs"

for the VR guys there is some work being done.

Render Coder posted:

Quick update - I have the Oculus direct mode working correctly now. The first patch after the D1P will allow this mode using a command-line option "-vrdirectmode". There's also a performance optimisation that should make it to this patch that gains around 7% in Rift mode, always useful when trying not to drop below 75"

advion fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 2, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So how is the AI then?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ethanol posted:

So how is the AI then?

I'm not sure how I feel yet about the A.I., but I will say this, don't let them even tap you because you will spin out and fly off the track. I don't believe that is so much an issue with the A.I. as it is how the game handles contact between cars. I think for a video game it's too harsh and needs to be toned way down.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You know Barcelona is in the game and the game comes out Thursday and the Spanish GP is next weekend and...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I wish next weekend was this weekend

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Neogaf and reddit are wigging out over a supposed bug in the ps4 version. Something to do with motion blur.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Neogaf and reddit are wigging out over a supposed bug in the ps4 version. Something to do with motion blur.

Mothing blur can be pretty annoying if something weird happens with it, but i'm gonna take NeoGAF and Reddit with a grain of salt.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

here's a ps4 stream
http://www.twitch.tv/inragetv
, so far that 'bug' just looks to be a different way to do motion blur that people seem to think is worse because of too much ghosting. I won't be getting that version anyways though.

I really do wish pc would support the xbox impulse triggers though

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ethanol posted:

here's a ps4 stream
, so far that 'bug' just looks to be a different way to do motion blur that people seem to think is worse because of too much ghosting. I won't be getting that version anyways though.

Windows would have to support them first. loving Microsoft. :argh:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Norns posted:

Windows would have to support them first. loving Microsoft. :argh:

yeah I know, I didn't mean to blame the developers. it's just microsoft bullshit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PCARS doesn't by default have support for borderless window mode, but is there a way to manually force it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

here's a ps4 stream

It's only noticeable over a 2 frame look. Not even apparent in full motion.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xbox one gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqPdHY3Op3o

advion
Jul 25, 2005
SMS already said they were looking for a fix and I wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up in the daily code change log in the next week. Worst case you have to live with a non game breaking bug for a few days.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'm a team member, but I still have my pCARS in my steam list? Does that mean I own the game now or something? I'm so loving confused.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Falken posted:

I'm a team member, but I still have my pCARS in my steam list? Does that mean I own the game now or something? I'm so loving confused.

I believe your steam alpha/beta copy turns into the retail copy. That was my understanding as I backed on the same tier.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Team Member gets a discount, Full Member gets the full release - based off of this anyway

I remember reading in the forum (it was one of the sticky messages) that they have to remove the game from Steam before they can send out the discount or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

PCARS doesn't by default have support for borderless window mode, but is there a way to manually force it?
Not without a third party application as far as I could find, having recently Googled about it for a different game.

That's unfortunate to hear; I feel like full screen windowed ought to be standard for every PC game nowadays.

• Locked thread