Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
God damnit, I accidentally layer dan'd this morning... at a stop light of all places.

Pretty much a shitshow of a morning in general;
- Stalled at an A-road on-ramp while merging into traffic, as I had to yield to someone else suddenly merging into my spot. Bike wouldn't start for about 20 seconds while I'm making GBS threads it.
- Bike started juddering so I pulled over and switched the tank to reserve
- Stalled leaving some lights but recovered quickly
- Completely binned the bike when some lights turned yellow to stop

I'm still wondering what happened as up until the crash I was doing pretty fine, I left my gear and camera at work so watching will have to wait. I've gotten to grips with shifting gears a bit quicker and working on managing my speed, and in hindsight I should've just blown the lights but I figured it would be an opportunity to stop a bit quicker (The road was also still wet from rain, very smart move you see). I'm guessing I used too much front brake even though I'm pretty sure I didn't grab, the bike twitched to the right then tipped over and lowsided.

Still got to work but now my shoulder certainly smarts and it's hard to move my arm, gear has minimal scratches on it too.

Big props to you guys recovering with broken bones, those are some harrowing stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Super Slash posted:

God damnit, I accidentally layer dan'd this morning... at a stop light of all places.

- Stalled at an A-road on-ramp while merging into traffic, as I had to yield to someone else suddenly merging into my spot. Bike wouldn't start for about 20 seconds while I'm making GBS threads it.

I'm still wondering what happened as up until the crash I was doing pretty fine, I left my gear and camera at work so watching will have to wait. I've gotten to grips with shifting gears a bit quicker and working on managing my speed, and in hindsight I should've just blown the lights but I figured it would be an opportunity to stop a bit quicker (The road was also still wet from rain, very smart move you see). I'm guessing I used too much front brake even though I'm pretty sure I didn't grab, the bike twitched to the right then tipped over and lowsided.

Still got to work but now my shoulder certainly smarts and it's hard to move my arm, gear has minimal scratches on it too.

Big props to you guys recovering with broken bones, those are some harrowing stories.
Have you considered a can-am?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Super Slash posted:

How long have you been riding? I'm not being snarky, but it sounds like you're sort of new to riding in traffic maybe? Could also be some carb/FI issues with the bike if you're not new and usually don't have these problems.

If you are kind of new, I'd recommend going to a parking lot somewhere that there's no pressure, and just riding slowly and doing some basic slow MSF-course stuff until you're more comfortable.

If you're not new, then uh.. I don't know what to tell you. Chalk it up to a bad day?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Slash posted:

Braking hard at junctions is probably the worst place to have to do it, despite being the most common, all kinds of oil and fuel drips from cars, its easy to lock the front, and you were probably still amped up from the stalls/ reserve antics.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Been riding a scooter for about a year, and figured I want to get serious about riding and would get a geared bike to practice with before getting a full licence (Mostly got the bug from doing my last CBT on a YBR125). I've had the new bike since last Wednesday and this is my third proper outing for regular commuting, I spent the evenings and weekend to putt around up and down my twisty street to get reacquainted with the controls, then out to shops etc.

It was going alright till today, it's a hit to the confidence if anything figuring what happened.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Super Slash posted:

Been riding a scooter for about a year, and figured I want to get serious about riding and would get a geared bike to practice with before getting a full licence (Mostly got the bug from doing my last CBT on a YBR125). I've had the new bike since last Wednesday and this is my third proper outing for regular commuting, I spent the evenings and weekend to putt around up and down my twisty street to get reacquainted with the controls, then out to shops etc.

It was going alright till today, it's a hit to the confidence if anything figuring what happened.

After all those stalls and the frustrating crap with your gas tank you should have pulled over for a minute to take a breath. Your emotional state is hugely important while riding. If you're agitated and frustrated then you are making poor decisions and are probably not executing as well, especially if you are new to geared vehicles. Try to pay attention to your state of mind; if a lot of things seem to be going wrong then get off the road and get your head straight.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

After all those stalls and the frustrating crap with your gas tank you should have pulled over for a minute to take a breath. Your emotional state is hugely important while riding. If you're agitated and frustrated then you are making poor decisions and are probably not executing as well, especially if you are new to geared vehicles. Try to pay attention to your state of mind; if a lot of things seem to be going wrong then get off the road and get your head straight.

I find the converse of this is true too. If I'm feeling amazing and want to go super fast I should probably also pull over and relax and not end up going faster than is really safe.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah right nerd, i ride fast and pissed.

just like my hero KLE621

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

just like my hero KLE621

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
thanks for triggering me, i just poo poo my pants

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

just like my hero KLE621

I do too, I just don't recommend it. :hfive:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

I've never heard of this. When did pedals not retract?

Given he was talking about bones poking out, I think he was referring to xtal's collarbone injury. That said, I'm guessing he somehow swapped accelerator pedal and steering column. Not really sure how that happens, but hey.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did you leave the choke/fast idle on?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gillingham posted:

Have you considered a can-am?

Have you considered not being a oval office? He clearly wants to ride and had the kind of crash practically everyone on this forum has at least once when starting out.

Super Slash posted:

Focus on your technique, try to think with your brain instead of just reacting instinctively. Visualise what you're going to do every time you want to brake or turn beforehand so that everything feels like it's happening according to your plan instead of like a blinding series of events beyond your control. Decide beforehand what gear you want to be in, where you'll begin your braking, force yourself to relax your arms and grip the tank with your legs, force yourself to look where you want to go. I've found being a decent rider and not crashing is 90% mental; you need to actively take control over your actions with your thinking mind rather than passively letting things unfold like you would in a car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Stugazi posted:

Are you riding again? I think a big off like that would end my riding career. I'm always curious when guys get banged up that hard if things change for them regarding motorcycles.

A friend of mine wrecked so bad he was in a coma. He broke his back, ribs, and multiple other bones.

He put a deposit on a new bike while still in hospital and rode it home with his back brace under a jacket.

Bikes are fun, gently caress fear.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dutymode posted:

I've never heard of this. When did pedals not retract?

1997 Opel Vectra

That site used to have the reults inline, now it ooks like you have to grab a pdf to see them :/

Anyways, my injuries perfectly matched the ones they outline.

I was living in Denmark at the time, and the vehicle tax is 180% of the purchase price, so yeah - they have a lot of older vehicles running.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Roughly 2 hours ago I was on my way to work, taking my bike for the first time this year. (I rode the ninja twice before the tire somehow was flattened 2 weeks ago but thats a scooter more than a bike) So I crest the hill going out of town, and I see a car coming and a vehicle waiting for that car to pass in order to back out of the driveway. I slowed down some because I wasn't sure if the driver saw me but he didn't and he pulled out in front of me. I went hard on the brakes, I felt the rear lock and get squirrely, I felt the engine stall, not really sure how impact or my dismount happened. I landed on my feet through.

I did not have my go pro but never again will I ride without.

and my lil boo boo

No real damage to the bike other than scratches it seems. It ran fine the rest of the way to work.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat dude that sucks you just finished it!
At least it was a minor spill!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is absolutely gutting.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

So ... time to add to this for me. Was heading into work yesterday and had this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwDRZ2cRnWU

Felt like the front locked or something, not sure what happened. Could still move the brake bar normally so, not sure. Think maybe one of my calipers is dodgey or something. I didn't touch the brake, it just applied itself.

Fully insured, already put claim in for it, just need to drop it off at the bike shop for a quote. It's not leaking any more, hopefully it's just fairing + an engine case to be replaced.

Dainese gloves held up fine, small tear in one but they're fairly old now, my hands are great. Jacket did a great job (RSV), not even a scratch on it. my SMX-5s took a bit of a scratch, but held up mostly fine, they're fairly old too. Helmet took a slide, popped the visor out and scratched the side of it but the actual helmet itself didn't take much of a hit, will need to be replaced though. Was wearing normal jeans which didn't even get scratched, I got a small cut on my knee, that's about it though.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Your grandparents look very disappointed in you.

Good thing you didn't get damaged that badly though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Two randoms actually, they live in the houses next to where I went down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's the weirdest loving crash. Is the brake fluid overfilled?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

If he didn't have video I'd have assumed he just hosed up and didn't want to admit jt. :shrug: Nothing quite as scary as a failure that can't be blamed on an action by the rider (unless he neglected the bike, but I don't think that is the case either).

Good crash though. Nice to see you walk away from it. Hopefully you can get a nice new bike through insurance.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I think I've watched the video about 15 times now and I still have no idea what the hell happened. I saw Shimrod cover the brake, but when the bike goes down you don't see the hand moving at all.

Shimrod: Did you happen to piss on a grave recently, or anger a shaman?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It looked to me that you put your hand on the front brake before you crashed. That being said that was crazy and who knows what happened there. I'd be drat careful checking your front brakes before riding again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Damage doesn't look bad at all :)
I also agree, you moved your hand to the brake lever right before the crash... why? Cold race tires are a harsh mistress if you put sudden load on them... not even accounting for rain.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The front tucked but it didn't look like you put much if any pressure into the lever. Either something in the brake system took a much harder bite from for your input than you were expecting (Look over everything very carefully) or you absentmindedly applied sudden braking force.

Are those new gloves or anything?

Do you suffer from something similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcGRXf4XzE

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Nah

Spiffness posted:

The front tucked but it didn't look like you put much if any pressure into the lever. Either something in the brake system took a much harder bite from for your input than you were expecting (Look over everything very carefully) or you absentmindedly applied sudden braking force.

Are those new gloves or anything?

Do you suffer from something similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcGRXf4XzE

I moved my hand to cover the brake lever because something felt odd, didn't apply any pressure at all. My hand was hovering over the brake ready to use it, not actually applying any pressure or anything. Had these gloves for about 3 years now. And no involuntary spasms :P

BlackMK4 posted:

Damage doesn't look bad at all :)
I also agree, you moved your hand to the brake lever right before the crash... why? Cold race tires are a harsh mistress if you put sudden load on them... not even accounting for rain.

Yeah, hopefully it's just fairing and an engine case that needs to be repaired. I felt something odd happening is why I moved my hand. We think we know what it was, but I don't want to post anything regarding that until Insurance has been dealt with and tell me what it is. Obviously I can't pull the bike apart to check it out, so will have to wait to suss it out.

Engine isn't throwing any error codes or anything, so there's that. Haven't hit the starter switch though, since something is obviously leaking. Drop the bike off at the repair joint tomorrow morning before work.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 3, 2015

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
drat that looked scary. Glad it was low speed and you walked away.

Intrigued to find out what the hell happened.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Hi crash test thread, long time lurker first time poster. hosed up this morning and ran into the back of a car, banged my head on the boot and left a decent ding. Currently in hospital with a mild concussion waiting for a brain scan. No other injuries. Thank God for helmets.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hope the scan comes back fine, lucky man! How's the bike?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Couple of scratches, far as I can tell. Rode it home and got a lift to the hospital. Really lucky, if I'd been going faster it probably would have gone much worse.

Edit: concussion, no other damage. Released after a ct scan.

editedit: here's the dent I made in the car:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 3, 2015

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
It's been a bad week for QLD-based bike goons, eh?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So in the last few weeks we have: Thunderblat, Guy Gets Run Over By Audi, Ghost Braker, Guy Headbutts Car

Looks like Summer is finally here.

:getin:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Razzled posted:

So in the last few weeks we have: Thunderblat, Guy Gets Run Over By Audi, Ghost Braker, Guy Headbutts Car

At least two of those accidents happened in the Southern Hemisphere.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We post here from the greatest time zone in the greatest hemisphere and no other ones exist

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Razzled posted:

ill thunderblat u

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

We post here from the greatest time zone in the greatest hemisphere and no other ones exist

YEAH UTC+1 OR BUST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Nah

I moved my hand to cover the brake lever because something felt odd, didn't apply any pressure at all. My hand was hovering over the brake ready to use it, not actually applying any pressure or anything. Had these gloves for about 3 years now. And no involuntary spasms :P

Yeah, hopefully it's just fairing and an engine case that needs to be repaired. I felt something odd happening is why I moved my hand. We think we know what it was, but I don't want to post anything regarding that until Insurance has been dealt with and tell me what it is. Obviously I can't pull the bike apart to check it out, so will have to wait to suss it out.

Engine isn't throwing any error codes or anything, so there's that. Haven't hit the starter switch though, since something is obviously leaking. Drop the bike off at the repair joint tomorrow morning before work.

Didn't you stick braided lines on not that long ago? I'd bet money that it has something to do with that, if you genuinely didn't use the brake (it didn't look like you did).

• Locked thread