Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna go see Avengers AoU with my father today.

But what I'm REALLY excited about is that after the movie, he and I are going to dig through his garage and find my Sega Genesis. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anidav posted:

I would love to collect for the Sega CD or PC-Engine CD but the hardware and software for both is getting so goddamn expensive.

I looked at the 3DO and it seems to have some weird fun games but apparently the hardware is absolutely terrible?

There are some interesting games for it and disc-only copies for most usually aren't that expensive. The disc trays on the front loader model (the FZ1) frequently fail. The did something similar to what Sega did with the Sega CD and made a revision that had a pop-up lid which is much much more reliable but doesn't look anywhere near as majestic.

al-azad posted:

It's just really difficult to find cardboard boxes that aren't garbage. There's a certain threshold of quality where I'll just put the box out of its misery because there's no need to have this crushed, humidity warped, faded piece of cardboard hanging around.

Awww, I like beat up boxes. They have character. :smith:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone recommending a 3DO is simply suffering from Stockholm syndrome from all the fixes required to keep that lovely hardware from dying. Or so I heard.

Would you like to buy my Nintendo toaster?

My 3DO has required 0 repair works so there :pcgaming:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

While we're posting collection/setup pics, have the chaos that is my basement setup. A friend of mine once described the furniture in her house as "stone soup", and that pretty much describes what's going on here. As a kid, the furniture in our house was whatever was free/cheap/on the side of the road and I find that sort of look comforting. Not that this is anywhere near like that was but it's close enough. It's mostly thrift store and tag sale finds though the recliners and the Eagles carpet are new. The speakers have been waiting a couple of years for me to hook them up to the TV. :effort:

There's a Wii and PS2 in our living room upstairs but that setup is neat and boring and I don't count those since they're "modern". :corsair:

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

flyboi posted:

So legit honest question: euro/au peeps do you play pal roms on your retro consoles or just go with ntsc since pal60 can make them work?

A number of older PAL consoles can be modded to play at 60hz. Failing that I tend to buy the US/Japanese models (unless it's like the Amiga, where most of the games are PAL only). Everything goes through a Framemeister / iScan VP30 / RGB monitor anyway; so whether the output is in PAL or NTSC is irrelevant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Anidav posted:

This thread keeps namedropping the 3DO, I look on Ebay and all the models are pretty inexpensive?

I asked a few people years ago if it was worth collecting for but the general advice is that the entire library was on Sega CD and the Saturn anyway so it isn't worth it.

Two things to keep in mind:
1) No copy protection whatsoever
2) Anything FMV based looks a ton better than on Sega CD since it doesn't have weird 1980s color limitations

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Uh-oh. A house divided.

Also, drat, jealous of both the collections and the organization. My organization went to poo poo some time back when I lost a game somewhere on the shelf and had to tear it apart to find it, and never got around to re-sorting everything. The shelf is also in an awkward position behind the tv cart in the corner because this room is fairly small (I live in a two-bedroom apartment, the living room is where all the drums and amps and whatnot are, the second bedroom is where the living room stuff and video games are.)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I am pleased that I have successfully duped people into believing that the CD-i AND 3DO are interesting and unique consoles to gush over in the last few weeks. S'good.

Also? You want to know how to keep yourself from looking like your living room toppled out of Serial Experiments Lain? Zip ties. Y'all need zip ties in your life. I'm not gonna pretend it completely eradicates the wire rats nest, but it certainly makes it a lot easier to deal with.

And to prevent clutter I simply made it really easy to swap consoles in and out from being connected because I gave up on having all of my consoles connected at once. I keep extra cables and controllers for consoles in Ziploc bags inside of bins (some under-bed ones, one larger one) so they're easily grouped together when I need them. Consoles themselves all on the second shelf of games and stuff I'm working on. I have a switch hidden under the Samsung 15" TV on my desk (it's on a computer monitor stand so I have the room under it) with ports on the front of it to make it as easy as possible.

vv zip ties are free for me :v:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 2, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Caitlin posted:

I am pleased that I have successfully duped people into believing that the CD-i AND 3DO are interesting and unique consoles to gush over in the last few weeks. S'good.

Also? You want to know how to keep yourself from looking like your living room toppled out of Serial Experiments Lain? Zip ties. Y'all need zip ties in your life. I'm not gonna pretend it completely eradicates the wire rats nest, but it certainly makes it a lot easier to deal with.

And to prevent clutter I simply made it really easy to swap consoles in and out from being connected because I gave up on having all of my consoles connected at once. I keep extra cables and controllers for consoles in Ziploc bags inside of bins (some under-bed ones, one larger one) so they're easily grouped together when I need them. Consoles themselves all on the second shelf of games and stuff I'm working on. I have a switch hidden under the Samsung 15" TV on my desk (it's on a computer monitor stand so I have the room under it) with ports on the front of it to make it as easy as possible.

velcro loops serve the same purpose as a zip tie but make moving stuff easier and are reusable :ssh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah those velcro loops fuckin' own.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

City-wide garage sale day today.

Nothing decidedly retro aside from the PS2 but I got plenty of Bad Games on the cheap. :v:

I've never played Guitar Hero before. :ssh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

iastudent posted:

Nothing decidedly retro aside from the PS2 but I got plenty of Bad Games on the cheap. :v:

That Guitar Hero controller is also compatible with the Rock Band games on 360, if you feel like picking those games up for what must be like $3 each these days.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Random Stranger posted:

Suspended is absurdly difficult because it is so obtuse. You might need a walkthrough just to understand the nature of the puzzles. It's also one of the most experimental of all Infocom's games. It pushes the medium pretty hard.

It also came out in '82 so the parser it used was more primitive and the gameplay less forgiving or refined than, say, other experimental games like Trinity (anti-nuclear message game that features puzzles in a bunch of time periods all at once) or A Mind Forever Voyaging (no puzzles, just dioramas to walk through in a polemic against Reagan's policies).

Code Jockey posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

It blows my mind that someone actually did this with a text based game.

The robots all speak in terms of their experiences, more or less cryptically. You'll get 6 different descriptions of the same room. It's actually really interesting, even if it's impossible to play.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Caitlin posted:

And to prevent clutter I simply made it really easy to swap consoles in and out from being connected because I gave up on having all of my consoles connected at once. I keep extra cables and controllers for consoles in Ziploc bags inside of bins (some under-bed ones, one larger one) so they're easily grouped together when I need them.

I wanted a 3D0 and CDI a few years ago when I learned more about them. :colbert:
One day I will have them...

Also, I highly recommend using ziplocks to store cords. Dust will get in to most means of storage, except for things like tupperwear. Keeping them in ziplocks keeps the dust out and makes cleaning way easier, but then I'm a stickler for that and would wipe down the entire cord before use if it got dusty. It also helps you to force them into a compact shape when removing the air for unwieldy thick cords that don't want to go back to their manufacturer packed shape. Also, labeling in case you forget what a power cord is for!

Edit: And those velcro ties are impossible to clean dust off. Now times that by the number of cables and you've got an afternoon of cleaning.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 2, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

iastudent posted:

poo poo, did you move into WH? I checked the list of houses and nobody said they had games for sale. :(

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

G-Prime posted:

poo poo, did you move into WH? I checked the list of houses and nobody said they had games for sale. :(

I'm nowhere near there. I'm surprised any homes here were actively advertising video games as part of their sale. There's some that say they have "games" but are almost always just family board games or little kids toys.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Collection sharing time. Full disclosure, I definitely need to get this all a bit more organized:

Here's the 360 and gamecube stuff all mixed together

Mostly PS# and wii, with some stray cube and 360 games

Systems that I don't really use, my famicom games, a tiger that kind of looks like hobbes and a couple of final fantasy related games (thats XIII-2 under chocobo's dungeon_

Here we have PS1,2,saturn,dreamcast, and boxed GBA games

Books on gaming, xbox the first, boxed snes,nes genesis and pc games

The binder holds loose gameboy games, and also a cover sheet from my illfated attempt to learn japanese

Loose NES Carts:

The lack of endlabels mean these are a mystery

drawer of snes

genesis carts

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Goddamn Firefox crashed and ate my post when it was almost done. Let's try this again. So yes, as I was saying, I took some better pictures of the collection. Make sure you're listening to this while looking at the pictures to get the proper effect.

---

Various Playstation and Nintendo games, as well as PC and OG Xbox. Also, controllers strewn about :

Another angle so you can see my massive Game Boy library and kickin' rad ~TRIBAL~ GBA (It was the cheapest properly backlit one I could find so whatever):

Dreamcast, 3DO, Saturn, PSP, PS2. Most of the 3DO stuff I have is some multimedia crap that came with the system, but I do have plenty of great games as well:

Some portables and assorted crap, with bonus Calvin & Hobbes. That copy of Killer Cuts back there was the first CD I ever owned! NES/Famicom/SNES/SF stuff on the lower shelf:

Better look at the Nintendo games and boxes, now with N64:

Mega Drive/Genesis and Neo Geo, with bonus Plan 9:

The Genesis box you can't quite make out because of the flash reflection is Super Street Fighter II. For those of you who don't read moon runes, the Japanese Neo Geo games from left to right are:

Fire Suplex
Metal Slug (conversion cart because holy poo poo the prices on the legit AES carts)
Flying Power Disc aka Windjammers (also a conversion)
Real Bout Fatal Fury
The King of Fighters '98
World Heroes 2
Soccer Brawl

The thing in the silver box is a Phantom-1 converter, which lets you play MVS carts on an AES. I haven't had the best luck with my NEO TURF MASTERS and Metal Slug X, though, but one day I will have a proper MVS setup. One day...

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

While I still love retro games, I sold everything I had years ago. Here's what I had in 2003-ish.

Bonus Love Hina manga and Princess Bride VHS. Also liquor that I never drank. :(

Pretty dinky compared to the rest of you, but I've always been rather poor. In 2004 I moved to a new place and most video game crap was confined to a small room.

The Commodore 1084 on the right was used for vertical shmups that had tate mode. 2 on Dreamcast (Gunbird 2, Ikaruga) and a bunch on Saturn (Batsugun, Shienryu, Strikers 1945, Game Tengoku, DonPachi, Galactic Attack). All consoles had custom dongles for RGB, with one cable for each monitor that terminated in a D-sub on the console end. The DC and GC had VGA solutions. The GC VGA cable was this crazy two-part thing hacked from an official component cable that plugged into both AV and Digital outs on the console and terminated in a D-Sub so it was also an RGB cable for those games that didn't support VGA (had to be able to do progressive scan). The second part plugged into the first and was the monitor end, and had a breakout stereo miniplug that went into the computer speakers.

Room was a bit messy. Note the overflowing wastebaskets. Poor people are dirty and lazy I guess.

The bottle of nasal spray was used to prop the left 1084's power button (which was on the rear) to the on position when wedged against the wall.

The SNES controller was not a SFC original, but a 3rd party one from Ascii which was great.

The black cartridge in the Saturn was not an Action Replay with all the bells and whistles, but a simple ST-Key which defeated the region lock. I've never been that big into fighters and even back then the D&D collection was $100+ so I didn't really need a RAM expansion.

My NES was hooked up to the TV in another room, not sure where the games were kept. Probably just in a box somewhere.

The Duo was a US model purchased brand-new in 2002 from TurboZone Direct, which I believe is what TTI turned into after they took Turbo stuff off the market officially. Apparently it was one of the last ones they had available. I had it modded with RGB and a region switch, but the video had faint jailbars. When I asked my modder about them he said "that's just the way it is". I guess there have been advances in PCE/Turbo RGB since then?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not going to photograph anything unless I get this mess cleaned up in a time period where people are still posting collection photos, but in sorting all this stuff, I have just hit the mildly annoying factoid that I have exactly 59 NES games, which means a) I missed the 50 game milestone, which would have been literally unimaginable to me as a kid (when I had at most like 10 games - SMBDH, Ice Hockey, Metal Gear, Hogan's Alley, Crystalis, Solomon's Key, Destination Earthstar, Skate or Die, Back to the Future, and...hm, I think that's all of them. No, wait, I also had Conquest of the Crystal Palace because I borrowed it from a kid and then we never saw each other again because I think we both moved away in like the same month.) and b) the fact that I'm one away from having a nice, round number.

So with that in mind, I'm thinking I should just go and buy one more game. I get one more, and then I take some time and really play through some of these. There's games in the stack that I haven't spent more than like a half-hour on.

Here's the stack. The only games I haven't rebought from my original collection, sold in high school, are Ice Hockey and Back to the Future. You'll note, though, that there's a lot of heavy hitters there that I don't have. Like, I don't own a single Zelda game. What should I get? What's like the one thing that's preventing me from saying "I have a good collection?" (Preferably something cheap, I am trying to scrape together some cash to buy a bass.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 3, 2015

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

I'm the bottle of lotion

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Well, it's been a very long day. I've spent the last 7 hours working on an NESRGB install. And apparently, I've failed. First, the NES wouldn't even power on. Now, I can at least get the LED to light (I had reversed a couple wires, so voltage was going straight to ground), but I get no video output of any kind. I'm 99% sure that I got careless and knocked a surface mount component off the NESRGB itself. Pretty sure I just plain trashed the board.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Post some pics and maybe we can help?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I heard we were doing collection rooms.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
I'll preface this by saying I can't find my drat multimeter and am going to probably have to go buy another one (drat boxes, it's probably somewhere in storage from when we moved, but that's a LOT of digging). My soldering isn't the best, but I've checked the joints and can't find any obvious gaps. And the burns on the RF board actually were there when I started, surprisingly enough. Also of note, I haven't trimmed the ends of the wires, because I wanted to do that after I verified it was working, but I've checked and don't see any that are touching each other. Lastly, I'm using Helder's multi-out socket, instead of the one that comes with the NESRGB, because I liked the idea of being able to use the multi on all my systems.

http://imgur.com/a/gpWRJ

I'm feeling a little stumped right now, obviously. And my pictures probably aren't the best. If there are any better shots I could give, I'll gladly take them, to try and salvage my investment.

Oh, and I THINK the surface mount component was a 0.1uf cap. It's the one that sits DIRECTLY above the FPGA on the board. I somehow managed to drip solder on it while working on the PPU, and it came off. Tried to put it back on, but I know that's basically impossible, so I'm inclined to believe that's part of my issue.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well there's the cap but you also bridged two pins on the IC above the cap. Do you get any audio at all? Even withe the PPU nonfunctional you should hear something if it's somewhat working

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Huh, I didn't even see that bridging on the IC. I'll try to fix that. But no, no audio at all. It's possible that's my TV. I don't know if it'll do any audio without a picture, I think it just flags no input immediately. Might be able to test that with my SNES...

Edit: TV won't give audio output without video input, so no way to test if the audio's working straight out the gate.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 3, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm assuming this is a toaster? Try hooking the original audio rca to a receiver if you have one

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
This is a toaster. Using the onboard composite, I can get a solid screen (my cart connector's flaky anyway, actually waiting on a Blinking Light Win too...), and if I jiggle the cart a bit I'll get some severely garbled output. No audio other than a basic popping noise when I power on the console.

Edit: Managed to (I think) get the pins on that IC unbridged with careful application of braid, so THAT problem is fixed at least... Still not working, though.

Edit 2: Yeah, I managed to lift a trace out where that SMD cap should be. I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause. Emailing Tim to see if he has any thoughts as the designer, and probably chalking this one up to inexperience. Guess I'm going to be saving my pennies for one of Monitor Burn's units.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 3, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I took the Metro North to Westport, CT to check out Retro Games Plus. Kind of lousy selection but the prices were pretty fair. I did find something I've wanted for a while

Apparently they're putting on a retrogaming con in October, probably gonna check that out, it seems like exactly the sort of thing I was bitching about the Northeast not having a few pages back. If anyone else is in the area I'd be down to do a retro thread meet there

e: I will never understand you 3DO/CDi people. You sicken me :colbert:

e2: drat checking prices for Rival Schools on eBay I guess their prices are better than fair, I got it for $30

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 3, 2015

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

Hey now, the 3DO at least has some gaming legitimacy, from Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter II:whatever, if nothing else. Ditto on the CD-i, though; I tried one at Sears, back in the day when it was an actual new thing people paid real money for, and couldn't comprehend what the big deal was. If a company can't get a 10 or 11 year old boy to see the appeal or point of their interactive computer video product, something is horribly wrong with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

star control 2, mother fucker

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Hey now, the 3DO at least has some gaming legitimacy, from Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter II:whatever, if nothing else. Ditto on the CD-i, though; I tried one at Sears, back in the day when it was an actual new thing people paid real money for, and couldn't comprehend what the big deal was. If a company can't get a 10 or 11 year old boy to see the appeal or point of their interactive computer video product, something is horribly wrong with it.

maybe you should have asked for a demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ywTiw1lhw

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is anyone familiar with this stuff: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0
Seems to be a replacement PCB kit for the GC style N64 sticks.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Laslow posted:

I don't think buying rare broken systems for display is a dick move so long as you're not going destroy something rare and repairable just to cram a RasPi into its shell.

I still want to jam something modern into a reproduction of one of the old MSX cases. I mean look at some of these things, they just look flippin cool. And making a new case and keyboard styled after them is probably easier than rigging up something modern in the original case anyway...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

d0s posted:

I took the Metro North to Westport, CT to check out Retro Games Plus. Kind of lousy selection but the prices were pretty fair. I did find something I've wanted for a while

Apparently they're putting on a retrogaming con in October, probably gonna check that out, it seems like exactly the sort of thing I was bitching about the Northeast not having a few pages back. If anyone else is in the area I'd be down to do a retro thread meet there

e2: drat checking prices for Rival Schools on eBay I guess their prices are better than fair, I got it for $30

I was the first exhibitor to sign up for a table at this con. Hope to see you there. That game store is just a sponsor by the way. My friend Dan and his team are the people responsible for getting this thing running. I'm pretty excited.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

d0s posted:

Hey kind of a weird request, but could you scan the front, back, and interior with the spines showing to the Jewel case cover please?

I've been looking for raw scans of the inserts for quite awhile and none exist on the internet. I've got a blank replacement case for my own discs, but they're currently in a Ps2 case.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 3, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

Maybe that's why their selection is lousy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

al-azad posted:

They are also moving their store to another location soon, I believe. Which sucks cause its the closest retro store to my shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Hey now, the 3DO at least has some gaming legitimacy, from Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter II:whatever

If they were the best ports or something I'd agree but they aint by a mile

e:

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey kind of a weird request, but could you scan the front, back, and interior with the spines showing to the Jewel case cover please?

I've been looking for raw scans of the inserts for quite awhile and none exist on the internet. I've got a blank replacement case for my own discs, but they're currently in a Ps2 case.

sadly I dont have my scanner with me, sorry :(

e2:

al-azad posted:

Probably, actually their hardware prices were very good and the systems they had were super clean. Normally these shops charge out the rear end for retro hardware so it was a surprise. Honestly their selection wasn't awful but more like they didn't have much I personally needed. I'd definitely recommend checking them out and I plan on going to their other two locations by car at some point since they're nowhere near the train

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 3, 2015

• Locked thread