Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have a Professor Fink for trade / sale? I have an extra Bartman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are you peeling the stickers off and applying them with? I'm curious because I used to be terrible at applying them before I got into Gunpla but since applying so many in that, using an x-acto to peel them off and a tooth pick to press them down things seem to be a lot easier with the rare instance I actually apply Lego stickers.

On a similar note what's up with the massive amounts of stickers on the Technic sets lately? It's not something I've ever particularly remembered them using a lot.

And on a similar note to the similar note I'm going to be treating myself to a Technic set once I've got all my University assignments finished and handed in. I was thinking of getting the 42029 Customized Pick Up Truck, anything I should know about that kit in particular or anything better to get at around the same price point?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just ordered an A-Wing and V-Wing from walmart's website since they appeared to be retired on lego's site and no longer on TRU's site either. I really aughta curb this lego binge, I'm running out of places to put the dang things.

Speaking of retired sets- I had a silly dream the other day that I was at the store and Lego had a new series/theme that was basically re-prints of old favorites. Kinda surprised they've never done something like that.

Anyone have that one (or many) set that they missed out on? There's a plethora of sets I remember looking at longingly in the catalogs and stuff as a kid, but the Tie Defender is the one set that I had money for but just never picked up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just don't use stickers anymore. I'm decent at placing them (many hours as a youth placing decals on model cars to thank for that I guess) it's just a hassle I don't see the point of bothering with because it ruins the pieces for any other purposes.

So I have a tupperware box full of unused stickers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I finished the TIE. Sweet Christ once you start the wings there are a lot of "do this 4x" instructions. I like how it all comes together but building the wings was not fun. Also it looks kind of funny up close but from across the room it looks really fantastic.

Also it was a quick build for UCS, I think it took a leisurely 3 hours and that was with screwing up the middle part of one wing because I stopped reading the instructions after a couple repetitions (I was doing all 4 smaller builds simultaneously).

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have that one (or many) set that they missed out on? There's a plethora of sets I remember looking at longingly in the catalogs and stuff as a kid, but the Tie Defender is the one set that I had money for but just never picked up.

It is not a good build or kit, don't fret. I actually had a wing plate split on mine because of the dumb way it rests and ended up tossing it because I was just starting to get into the hobby again and didn't think of re using the pieces.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 3, 2015

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I know there's at least one Massachusetts Lego goon here besides me so I'm gonna post about this. I went to the LegoLand in Sommerville today with my son (because they won't let you in without a kid, unless it's the once a month adult day) it was awesome! They had a scavenger hunt passbook where you collect stamps as you do certain activities. They gave him a cool special Lego land brick, if you brought a minifigure from Home you could trade with any of the staff. The city of Boston room was amazing with models of all the major landmarks, and of course I couldn't leave without spending a bunch of money. I got the star destroyer, the green lantern/sinestro set, and some pirate stuff for my son as well as a bunch of the new Simpson's figures. It was awesome and if anyone is in driving distance I totally recommend it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dogen posted:

Well I finished the TIE. Sweet Christ once you start the wings there are a lot of "do this 4x" instructions.
The Sandcrawler's tracks were not fun to put together.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

anotherblownsave posted:

I know there's at least one Massachusetts Lego goon here besides me so I'm gonna post about this. I went to the LegoLand in Sommerville today with my son (because they won't let you in without a kid, unless it's the once a month adult day) it was awesome! They had a scavenger hunt passbook where you collect stamps as you do certain activities. They gave him a cool special Lego land brick, if you brought a minifigure from Home you could trade with any of the staff. The city of Boston room was amazing with models of all the major landmarks, and of course I couldn't leave without spending a bunch of money. I got the star destroyer, the green lantern/sinestro set, and some pirate stuff for my son as well as a bunch of the new Simpson's figures. It was awesome and if anyone is in driving distance I totally recommend it.

I am that other Massachusetts Lego goon. :v: How old is your son? I'd like to take my niece, she's into Lego but I'm concerned that she might be at the age where it's not cool for her (she's thirteen).

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

I am that other Massachusetts Lego goon. :v: How old is your son? I'd like to take my niece, she's into Lego but I'm concerned that she might be at the age where it's not cool for her (she's thirteen).

My son is 4, a lot of the stuff is definitely geared toward kids of his age group, but if she likes Lego it's probably still worth the trip, it's not that expensive and there's so much else to do in the assembly road shopping mall they've got there, you can make an afternoon of it for sure

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Casimir Radon posted:

The Sandcrawler's tracks were not fun to put together.

Yeah this wasn't as monotonous but takes longer and parts of it are annoyingly delicate until they get locked in which can take several steps.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

So, I got the Ecto-1 and Benny's Spaceship yesterday. Ecto-1 was missing a brown 4x1 brick which, luckily is in a hidden spot, cause I hacked together a fix with leftover bits from my other stuff.

And Benny's Spaceship made me so annoyed. those L shaped pieces that stand on 1 peg barely held up. I am afraid to pick it up again, now, the amount of times I had to rebuild the back end.

Edit: ok, they're more a kind of Z than L. still annoying.

Daaku Shinsei fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 3, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

anotherblownsave posted:

I'm a New Hampshire goon, but for Lego purposes, that's close enough.

I'm glad to hear it's fun; my boys love Lego, so one of these days I hope to take them.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I've been to the Somerville Legoland when we almost had the place to ourselves, and when it was jam-packed. If you can somehow figure out how not to go when it's mayhem it will be a much better experience.

It's laid out strictly linearly, where you go from room to room. It's not like you can just go in and choose which thing to go to. I think the first bathroom isn't until like 45 minutes in when they are holding groups to clear out the next room. Obviously you can ask to go to the bathroom whenever, it's just tight in there and if you are dragging kids and a stroller around it's a pain in the rear end (putting it mildly) to wind around through the already packed rooms.

I mean this goes for anything you go to, it just felt much more claustrophobic than being at a crowded like Disney World or whatever, where you can sort of go wherever you want. It's pretty good for being wound around inside a warehouse or whatever it used to be.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah it wasn't crowded at all yesterday. I think more people were outside enjoying the weather. I can imagine it'd be pretty unbearable if it were packed.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Man the TIE is a tough sell with the Sandcrawler at 10% off. The price per part is so much better, and it's probably a lot more fun to build too!

I guess the TIE is likely to get a pretty steep discount sooner or later though. However, it is of course a lot more iconic than, say, the B-Wing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I don't know if it's going to be a B Wing level disaster, I didn't even pick one of those up (although I regret that a bit). It's definitely not going to sell like Slave I or Red 5 though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why did the B-wing sell so badly anyways? It's such a great looking ship/model. Just not iconic enough I guess? I've always thought it was one of the coolest looking ships from Star Wars.

I'm hoping I can eventually find the Tie for >$150. I'd probably cave quicker if it was a new version of the interceptor or Vader's. The flat wings don't do it for me as much but at the same time it's probably the most iconic tie and it needs to sit next to the x-wing on the shelf.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 3, 2015

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Just finished the star destroyer and hung it from the ceiling. Love the built in hook.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

NESguerilla posted:

Why did the B-wing sell so badly anyways? It's such a great looking ship/model. Just not iconic enough I guess? I've always thought it was one of the coolest looking ships from Star Wars.

I'm hoping I can eventually find the Tie for >$150. I'd probably cave quicker if it was a new version of the interceptor or Vader's. The flat wings don't do it for me as much but at the same time it's probably the most iconic tie and it needs to sit next to the x-wing on the shelf.

The B-Wing is my favorite ship from any universe ever. My girlfriend got my the UCS one for my graduation present, and it looks amazing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone have the UCS Slave 1? Need convincing to get it over the detectives agency.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. It's great. Really big too. I think it would be hard to make a better Slave 1 out of Lego. The detective's agency looks really awesome from what I've seen too though...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Cool, thanks!

So I've got quite a few kilos of lego I want to sell, am I better off selling it in one lot or sorting it into lots like "technic" or "classic light grey", etc...?
Don't have the patience to catalogue it all for a bricklink store.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone have the UCS Slave 1? Need convincing to get it over the detectives agency.

Why not both?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Norns posted:

Why not both?

Quiet you, I have other hobbies.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Is lego not having a big sale today? I thought that was a yearly thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's a few sets for 20%, namely the B-Wing.
http://www.fbtb.net/2015/05/01/lego-shophome-may-the-4th-sales/

Last year there were a couple of 50% off sets, but I guess there is nothing Lego wants to blow out this year.

Edit: But unless you really want the freebies and have $75 of stuff to buy, Amazon has the same sets on sale for the same prices or better, and they are in stock.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 4, 2015

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Really enjoyed building the TIE, bar the aforementioned wing sections which had to be done 4 times. Love all the little wedges used to make the cockpit section roughly spherical. Next to the TIE Advanced x1 it really shows up the older model. The mesh sections on the Advanced wings in particular look a bit dated, although they could probably be covered over fairly easily with some of the same 4x6 plates the new TIE uses (the ones which only have studs along 3 edges).

edit: it's also surprisingly study and swooshable, unlike the Advanced which is pretty delicate IIRC.

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 4, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Would it be to much to ask for another technic F1 car? I need one in my office.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

I have the detective agency and would gladly trade it for a slave 1, cant say the same for the theatre, I love that set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Does anyone nerdier than me know if the TIE and Red 5 are in scale with each other? I feel kind of like the TIE seems bigger in comparison.

Threash
May 18, 2003
I picked up some Jurassic World sets this weekend because dinosaurs. I ended up with the Raptor Chase, Dilophosaurus Ambush and Pteranodon Capture. The Raptor Chase is pretty great and the best of the three I picked up, while I wish is was $40 the truck is pretty cool and you get raptors. The Dilophosaurus Ambush is the weakest one for me, the jeep isn't to bad but it just doesn't do it for me overall with all that comes with. It feels like it should have something else with it. The Pteranodon Capture is nifty for the price, the copter is pretty sweet and I think is built out nicely since you get a net cannon and foldable seat for a shooter.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Pulled the trigger on the Slave 1. I gotta sell some stuff!

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Don't currently have any Star Wars lego, so decided today was the day to start a little Imperial collection.
Got the AT-DP, the Imperial Troop Transport and the Death Star Troopers sets. Haven't watched Rebels yet but the AT-DP looks awesome either way.

Also bought a whole bunch of pick-a-bricks so I can make a TARS from Interstellar :)

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Dogen posted:

Does anyone nerdier than me know if the TIE and Red 5 are in scale with each other? I feel kind of like the TIE seems bigger in comparison.

Using numbers from wookieepedia and the lego site, red 5 is about 1/24 scale and the tie is about 1/21

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dogen posted:

I'm visiting Berlin and saw them both at the Lego store here, they looked the same scale to me though I didn't see them next to each other.

Also the PAB wall here has computer pieces in it!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Has there been any leak on what the VIP Early Access set will be this month?

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Death Star no longer listed on UK site, retired?

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

anotherblownsave posted:

Just finished the star destroyer and hung it from the ceiling. Love the built in hook.

I hope it's secure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_AMSlNocE

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

It is, that video ruled though. When I was a kid I used to build Lego cars and launch them down the stairs to watch them shatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

anotherblownsave posted:

It is, that video ruled though. When I was a kid I used to build Lego cars and launch them down the stairs to watch them shatter.

That was the most fun then rebuilding them bigger and stronger :D