Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'd go up to Hill Farmstead if I wasn't already planning on driving 7 hours to pay $30 for 750 ml bottles. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cryme posted:

they used to fill whole foods growlers, but now it's strictly their own. might change with the new brewery being online but who knows. they sell 32oz swingtops and 64oz screwtops.

ugh. how much are their effing growlers?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

de Garde distro party coming up! I'm prepared!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Aww ya check that fly mother fucker actin nonchalant as hell in his orange shades

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just want to post this as a list dump so I can come back when I get home and actually comment on what I've been drinking.

Jonge Lambiek De Cam
Geuze pallet
3yr Lambiek De Cam from the barrel
Kriek De Cam from the barrel that was super young & needed hops
Faro De Cam
Framboise De Cam
Draft Tilquin Geuze
'14 Lou Pepe Kriek

Toer de Geuze starts in 9 hours. Goodnight!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

ugh. how much are their effing growlers?

:5bux:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

I just want to post this as a list dump so I can come back when I get home and actually comment on what I've been drinking.

Jonge Lambiek De Cam
Geuze pallet
3yr Lambiek De Cam from the barrel
Kriek De Cam from the barrel that was super young & needed hops
Faro De Cam
Framboise De Cam
Draft Tilquin Geuze
'14 Lou Pepe Kriek

Toer de Geuze starts in 9 hours. Goodnight!
i had framboos in delaware

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

cryme posted:

My dream is year round 4pks of saison-brett

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

de Garde distro party coming up! I'm prepared!

I know you are a cowboy Hassler, but be thankful that no one got hurt in the mad dash to get some of that pizza beer at the share.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Lt_Tofu posted:

I know you are a cowboy Hassler, but be thankful that no one got hurt in the mad dash to get some of that pizza beer at the share.

i think they were more scared of the fly gangster in front of him

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vertigo posted:

Have you liked other Bruery anniversary beers? I loved Sucre and Bois... was just wondering if this was a whole different beast this year ? I do love their sweet beers though.

Yes. Cuir with some time on it was my favorite. Sucre and Bois were solid though I haven't tried them aged. I've been a Bruery apologist for a long time but they've jumped the sweetness shark on this one.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I did try some of the CCB/5Rabbit El Coco on draft yesterday for the fist time after buying a case of it upon release. Not quite as sweet as the Southern Slice collaboration with Terrapin, heavier coconut than Last Snow. Worth finding if you like coconut in your beer, but definitely a bottle to share, I couldn't imagine drinking 22oz of it in a sitting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm still trying to process what happened yesterday. Big BIG thanks to dphi for getting the bus ride set up! Was a blast meeting everyone!! It actually was kinda nice that there's no reception out in Tillamook, I rarely get to unplug like that.

Holy gently caress, De Garde knows how to throw a party.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

air- posted:

I'm still trying to process what happened yesterday. Big BIG thanks to dphi for getting the bus ride set up! Was a blast meeting everyone!! It actually was kinda nice that there's no reception out in Tillamook, I rarely get to unplug like that.

Holy gently caress, De Garde knows how to throw a party.

A million times this. Everyone was chill. The bus was rad. The beer was over the top. Air is insane. Tequila Sucre is never a good idea. More posting to come when I have time to process this whirlwind of a weekend.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Beer goons best goons. Glad you guys finally got to experience the awesomeness of a de Garde party. Had a blast drinking with you all.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Yesterday at DeGarde was super duper fun! Glad I finally got to put some faces to names, and I have to agree... Beer goons are best goons.

Can't wait to try this DeGarde anniversary beer! I have a friend who went back to the brewery today and said there was a 50 person line at 11. Beer nerds don't gently caress around!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Not gonna lie and warning now that I'm gonna be fanboying hard: de Garde release parties are the poo poo. I'd be out there every quarter if I lived in Oregon and this has me making sure I budget around having Keepers memberships every year. Somehow Trevor remains SO humble and insisted that he has room to improve :psyduck: ... the event as a whole was drat near flawless on every aspect.

The system is solid: get your glass, drink tickets, and token. Use the token to pick up your preboxed allocation at your convenience and they've got dollies ready to go for lunatics like my buddy who is the trustee for me and a billion people. Keepers bottles picked up at a separate area. Lines for drinks moved extremely fast and even if you didn't care to wait, there were so many stellar funky/sour taps that it felt like a smaller scaled WTF. I'm struggling to think of any beer I didn't like. Biere Noir (SO good wtf I wish this was a keepers bottle), Imperial Marion Bu, Imperial Stone Bu, Citra Hose, Amarillo Hose, and some awesome guest taps like SARA BA Cellarman, one day old :staredog: Block 15 Sticky Hands. They had a bottle share at the event too and all the locals were dead on about not even bothering with it.

Like all other beer events, it's really all about the people you surround yourself with. That's why I decided on opening the seasons set with you jerkoffs :yayclod: Seth is kinda like a beer mentor for me and he opened a Zomer during his going away party in Dallas so I try my best to follow in his generosity, general demeanor, and of course the occasional good trolling (I probably should've begged harder on not bringing Tequila Sucre). He was a trooper for taking care of dphi!!!

Commons/Cascade on Friday was fun, bus bottle share kicked rear end, everyone's cool as hell and can't wait to see you again soon. And hmmm food on the bus is a good idea for next time.

air- fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 3, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anywhere in particular I should beer in DC? Ideally with good food as well, since I'll probably be going with non-drinkers.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Bell's will finally be distributing in DE and MD come June. Finally can get Oberon without going to Philly.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Hey, sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the thread but it turns out I really like sour beers and I can get them pretty easily here in Fargo-Moorhead, ND-MN. I'm gonna be moving to the Montgomery, Alabama area in about a month and I don't even know what to look for down there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hauki posted:

Anywhere in particular I should beer in DC? Ideally with good food as well, since I'll probably be going with non-drinkers.

Churchkey/Birch and Barley, Pizzeria Paradiso, Right Proper's food looked pretty good but I've never been there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hey, sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the thread but it turns out I really like sour beers and I can get them pretty easily here in Fargo-Moorhead, ND-MN. I'm gonna be moving to the Montgomery, Alabama area in about a month and I don't even know what to look for down there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

What are you getting in Fargo? I don't think we've ever had a Goon in that region...

Also, it's probably outdated now but seekabrew.com is still a good place to start.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

danbanana posted:

What are you getting in Fargo? I don't think we've ever had a Goon in that region...

Also, it's probably outdated now but seekabrew.com is still a good place to start.

It's not a local brew but a lot of the Surly stuff is up here and they're from Minneapolis, which is only a few hours away. I was able to get a bottle of their Pentagram stuff a week or so ago in a shop up here and drank that today and really liked it.

There are three breweries in town though. I'm not anywhere near a beer expert, I just drink what I like kind of thing, but Junkyard Brewery over in Moorhead put out a coconut beer a few weeks ago called The Big Kahuna that was fantastic dark ale.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 4, 2015

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's not a local brew but a lot of the Surly stuff is up here and they're from Minneapolis, which is only a few hours away. I was able to get a bottle of their Pentagram stuff a week or so ago in a shop up here and drank that today and really liked it.

There are three breweries in town though. I'm not anywhere near a beer expert, I just drink what I like kind of thing, but Junkyard Brewery over in Moorhead put out a coconut beer a few weeks ago called The Big Kahuna that was fantastic dark ale.

It's been a few years but I don't remember Pentagram being outright sour/tart. But technically it is a wild ale which often gets the more specific label of "sour."

Anyway, I can't speak a lot about Alabama but I would suspect they (and you right now) likely get the more nationally distributed common Belgians. Look for anything from Rodenbach, in particular any of their "Vintage" batches. Those will run you ~$20 a bottle but since you probably paid that for the Surly, it shouldn't be sticker shock. Also, welcome to the expensive, expensive world of wild ales... Key words you should look for on beers that might be in that category include: sour (duh), wild, Brettanomyces (or "brett;" Brett generally gives a funky type flavor profile, but often beers brewed with brett or have brett added later will develop a tartness because of other wild yeasts), Lactobacillus (or "lacto," this is essentially the yeast that makes yogurt. Usually beers with this have a lemony-tartness to it. Find a Berliner Weisse to get a good lacto experience).

Also, welcome. There was a lot of Goon love going around today due to a big fest in the Pacific Northwest, but the love is deserved. This is by far the best, open, honest, and fun group of beer nerds I've found.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

It's been a few years but I don't remember Pentagram being outright sour/tart. But technically it is a wild ale which often gets the more specific label of "sour."

I actually drank a 2013 Pentagram last night. It's a 100% brett beer, and while it doesn't have any souring bacteria in it, it does have a small degree of sour or tartness to it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

Churchkey/Birch and Barley, Pizzeria Paradiso, Right Proper's food looked pretty good but I've never been there.

Awesome, thanks, will definitely look into these.

billybill
Oct 22, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

Fellow F-M beer goon? Don't move!
But yeah I agree there's really a decent supply of sour here all things considered and it seems to be continually growing. 99 and Bridgeview usually have decent Belgian sours on their shelves. Bernies usually has a good bit of both Belgian and American stuff since everyone who works there loves the stuff.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Whew finally made it home and have a moment to write. That was quite an astounding weekend. Many thanks to all the thread people who converged in OR, many from faraway lands and bringing wonderful beer. Particular special thanks go to Perfectly Crombulent and his SO for letting me stay in their lovely Portland base, as well as Kudosx for stopping by Bend to hang out with me first, as well as dphi for organizing the Brewvana bus. Let's all do it again sometime.

The de Garde party was indeed truly excellent and overall very well run. It was crowded but never uncomfortable, the weather was quite fine, and the beer was the usual de Garde high quality. Top highlights I remember offhand include Petit Azacca (there are Azacca beers all over Portland all of a sudden), the gose Amarillo Hose, Beaucoup Violet (a massive wild ale), and Imperial Stone Bu / Necatarine Bu. The bottle pours available were pretty awesome too. My only complaint is that there shoulda been more food options (though really it's my fault for not bringing food along with us; I was pretty illin' by the time the party wrapped up, and I think that was due large to excess consumption of Sucre and Mamma Mia Pizza Beer).

Also went to several places around town in the days before. This included Cascade, which offered the "Strawberries and Cream" live tap which smelled exactly like strawberries and cream, like up to Southern Tier levels of sweetness, although the flavor was much more straight fruit. Cherry Vlad was also almost port-like in thickness and worth the money for a full pour as a kind of dessert. The visit reminded me that Cascade can still definitely bring the goods in the field of wild beer, although de Garde is undoubtedly more subtle and offers way better cost-performance.

I really think Fat Head's is super solid in Portland nowadays as well. Good sandwiches too. And it's nice to see a brewery that's not afraid to have like 25 guest taps from around town as well in case you get sick of their own beer.

On the way to Portland I also stopped in the far-flung suburb of Sandy to visit Bunsenbrewer, a small brewery founded by an ex-biologist which has a quirky "science" theme going on -- all the beer is named after famous scientists, your flight is served in small beakers, etc. That piqued my interest enough to stop by. Unfortunately most of their beer is tragically horrible, with off flavors prevailing everywhere. It's no exaggeration to say that it's the worst beer I've paid money for in the state of Oregon. Strangely their habanero-infused porter was great, though, especially given that that's a genre I usually hate.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I sure love Chillwave :'(

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

krustster posted:

I sure love Chillwave :'(

Why the sadface? Did you run out?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Vertigo posted:

^^^

We go there quite a bit. Are you local?

We're about an hour away. Southeast of Lancaster in Springdell.

I bought a six of Paidaea and wish I'd bought more. I'll PM you next time we head up because I'm going to want to stock up and share this stuff as widely as possible.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Hauki posted:

Any particular neighborhood? Most of our good beer places have pretty good food. Beermenus.com has a fair number of places' taplists.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Any particular neighborhood? Most of our good beer places have pretty good food. Beermenus.com has a fair number of places' taplists.

Uh, we're staying with friends in silver spring but most of our time will probably be in/near various museums downtown. We'll have a car if need be, although mostly hoping to stick to the rail.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hauki posted:

Uh, we're staying with friends in silver spring but most of our time will probably be in/near various museums downtown. We'll have a car if need be, although mostly hoping to stick to the rail.

One more place I really liked for beer and food was Scion. The ones near Dupont Circle are likely gonna be the most convenient, plus factor in how much walking you'll do when you're sightseeing. Either way, pretty much all the good spots are metro accessible.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The above are pretty good suggestions then. Personally I'm partial to Right Proper and I really like their food, but Bluejacket is something to keep in mind also.

e: Scion is great, too. Delicious food, decent taps, reasonable bottle list, and Pizza Paradiso is right across the street. Also nearby: CT Ave Wine and Liquor (bottle shop), P St. Whole Foods (growlers/bottles), GBD (good taps, serves the Luther), Big Hunt(good taps, 'dive' bar), or Bier Baron in the other direction, but I haven't been there in a while.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 4, 2015

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Too much good beer this weekend between the bus, DeGarde party, and Fredfest. It was a lot of fun and I survived long enough to share this bus pic:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
It looks like a dad brought his five kids along.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
The best thing about SUPER HASSLER is that he's easy to find in a crowd.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

toenut posted:

The best thing about SUPER HASSLER is that he's easy to find in a crowd.

Haha yes. Very nice guy too. In fact all the guys I've met from here have all been great in person. I am blanking on who I met at Goose Island in Chicago, but they were super nice as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

toenut posted:

Too much good beer this weekend between the bus, DeGarde party, and Fredfest. It was a lot of fun and I survived long enough to share this bus pic:

right before you took all five of them out in a cage match