Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hated the sightlines on the Zipcar Prius I used to use occasionally, and I wouldn't want to have to pass someone on a 2-lane highway, but it seemed solid enough for city erranding. hov stickers sold more of them than fuel economy ever did in this part of the world, I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I live in a place with above ground power lines, lots of trees, and a basement with a sump pump. Having a battery backup for that thing only seems nice, and the cost compares pretty favorably with an automatic failover generator setup (especially since I have a propane tank instead of a city gas line).

Of course a marine battery and an electric pump as backup would be great, too, if only my sump were deep enough and I could get a stupid plumber to actually give me a quote instead of disappearing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oops crossed my wires with monkeymon and rates and job creators

what's this about me creating jobs?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

uncurable mlady posted:

Priuses are pretty acceptable driving appliances

Except for the Prius sedan, which removes the usefulness of the Prius and replaces it with a big dose of bland ugly. Why the gently caress did Toyota make a Prius sedan? Why did anyone buy it?

"Hmm, a car like this would be good for me. I don't want the cargo capacity of the priu s hatchback but the incompetent styling and uselessly small trunk really appeal to me." - a loving poo poo for brains moron who shouldn't be trusted with guarding a hole to make sure they don't fall in

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Piece of loving poo poo. Look at the lovely styling that tries to say "GREEN" with the... andlges or something and UTTERLY FAILS because they dumped the back end of a toyota echo or w/e on there. The tiny spoiler that they tried to attempt to make the car look appealing with but actually looks like the car got hung up on a hanging metal sheet rolling off the production line and hosed up. That little bit on the rear door that comes out and surrounds the window because toyota enginers couldn't be hosed to design anything more appealing or better than that. Burn it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's also a way to let people buy into the Tesla battery supply chain improvement program for 1/20th the cost of a baseline model S. he can't be upset about that prospect.

also, tesla has great product design. seeing that in my garage every morning :swoon:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

atomicthumbs posted:

Piece of loving poo poo. Look at the lovely styling that tries to say "GREEN" with the... andlges or something and UTTERLY FAILS because they dumped the back end of a toyota echo or w/e on there. The tiny spoiler that they tried to attempt to make the car look appealing with but actually looks like the car got hung up on a hanging metal sheet rolling off the production line and hosed up. That little bit on the rear door that comes out and surrounds the window because toyota enginers couldn't be hosed to design anything more appealing or better than that. Burn it

that sure is a car

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

jetz0r posted:

that sure is a car

it's literally the only quality it has

• car

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

teslas are very pretty and i want one

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

They're fun to drive.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

it's literally the only quality it has

• car

i was gonna ask if regular car reviews guy did a review of the prius and then i realized i have internet on this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ19Mdca7DY

idk where he's going yet but i'm coming with

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eric posted:

They're fun to drive.

indeed, but the regenerative braking is super aggressive. definitely going to take some getting used to, during the test drive I turned it down to the less-aggressive setting because I couldn't get a sense of the actual braking with it going on.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hybrids are stupid and diesel does everything better

electric is cool unless your power is from coal/gas like most of the us

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

indeed, but the regenerative braking is super aggressive. definitely going to take some getting used to, during the test drive I turned it down to the less-aggressive setting because I couldn't get a sense of the actual braking with it going on.

Yeah turn that poo poo off

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

even if it's generated from natural gas I think a modern EV wins. EVs apply more than half the energy they take from the wall to the wheels, and for gas engines it's less than 20% IIRC.

this calculator (from tesla's site, to be sure) shows 60% of california's power coming from natgas, but still a 5x improvement in co2 emissions vs...an unspecified gasoline car. :sigh: (It's also not clear to me if the gasoline car is supposed to be net of the production/transportation energy costs of the gas itself. I'd assume so, because I'd count them if I were Tesla.)

it is funny to me that our Kia, which I think cost a quarter of the model S, has cooled front seats and the model S doesn't. I guess remotely activating climate control is supposed to be the replacement for that, but man those cooled seats on a 32C day...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
even though coal is worse than gas (petrol), moving all the cars to coal generated electric is still a net decrease in emissions due to efficiencies of scale

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

diesel is dirty as gently caress and requires exotic emissions controls to even be street-legal in the u.s.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

natural gas burns a lot cleaner than gasoline or diesel

co2 is not the only pollution to worry about

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i also believe it is the year 1980

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
:quig:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mishaq posted:

what i got based on what the computer was telling me my average mpg was on highway trips, i get within 5-6 mpg in my normal non-hybrid full size sedan

idt u get hybrids m8

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

diesel is dirty as gently caress and requires exotic emissions controls to even be street-legal in the u.s.

counterpoint:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

idt u get hybrids m8

an econo shitbox that weighs 2500 pounds should be able to get a lot better highway mileage than my full size sedan that weighs significantly more ityool 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you're not going to make me feel bad about my car purchase before I even take delivery, but keep trying

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm assuming since we're discussing stock it's still food chat but i've never really loved pho because apparently i've never had good pho but holy poo poo i had some really good pho in atlanta it was loving nuts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm assuming since we're discussing stock it's still food chat but i've never really loved pho because apparently i've never had good pho but holy poo poo i had some really good pho in atlanta it was loving nuts

the word "stock" doesn't otherwise appear on this page, but pho is good and you deserve good pho so yay

(are you having thread-identification problems again?)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Subjunctive posted:

the word "stock" doesn't otherwise appear on this page, but pho is good and you deserve good pho so yay

(are you having thread-identification problems again?)

no i was on page 353 and that looks close enough to page 363 so i thought it was the last page

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no i was on page 353 and that looks close enough to page 363 so i thought it was the last page

the good news is that red hat isn't a very detail-oriented company, so :yotj:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Americans still buy SUVs and trucks and poo poo because we as a society have the collective memory of a goldfish dosed with LSD

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

please don't insult goldfish

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Subjunctive posted:

no wonder they seem so excited about me

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

lol

uncurable mlady posted:

Americans still buy SUVs and trucks and poo poo because we as a society have the collective memory of a goldfish dosed with LSD

i swear to god if a man or woman on the street (especially k-street or wall street) could correctly answer what follows "those who cannot remember the past..." i would poo poo myself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no wonder they seem so excited about me

they were excited about someone, but couldn't remember who

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

the people who keep buying trucks never stopped

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm reading this book on the topic of the rise of the suv in america recommended by tori cmos and it's v good

http://www.amazon.ca/High-Mighty-Dangerous-Rise-SUV-ebook/dp/B001GXQOM8/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
tbh at least modern suvs are better on gas

your average modern suv has city mileage better than highway mileage of the same general model 20 years ago

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

toyota lost money on every prius sold from 1997 to 2009

and it was never certain that the prius would be a hit. lots of other manufacturers experimented with eco-friendly hybrid poo poo and they never saw a dollar in profits.

hating the prius in 2003 was an entirely reasonable thing to do. it was a bullshit white elephant project rescued by dumb luck

just want to point out that this something like a very expensive but highly effective marketing campaign for a product that came out in 2009

my dad bought a prius in 2011, because he test drove one in 2004 (when it was a $10k engine in a $10k car, or something like that) and was familiar with the brand.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

choose death

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm reading this book on the topic of the rise of the suv in america recommended by tori cmos and it's v good

http://www.amazon.ca/High-Mighty-Dangerous-Rise-SUV-ebook/dp/B001GXQOM8/

dta

read the 1 star reviews

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

well, what do you mean by SUV? a huge dumb thing or "a slightly bigger hatchback but 6 inches higher"

• Locked thread